Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 08:18 AM   #16
freemore
Mouseketeer

Anyone know Special Needs room for WL

Hi We have WL Woods view special Needs room. We've asked for view of otter pond because someone told us tht is a good view. We are going next week, anyone know which room to ask for?

Thanks Lene
Old 11-25-2004, 06:03 PM   #17
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

question, please?

deleted.

Last edited by Minnie&Nana; 05-13-2010 at 07:14 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2004, 06:44 PM   #18
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

The rooms with tubs don't have a separate shower area. What they do have is a shower head in the bathtub, so you can choose whether to use the tub for a bath or for a shower.

The accessible rooms are not only on the first floor. In buildings with elevators (which, or course, the delux resorts have), they can be found on any floor.

Both posters could call Special Reservations with your questions.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 11-25-2004, 07:04 PM   #19
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

deleted

Last edited by Minnie&Nana; 05-13-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:14 PM   #20
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

You should not have to explain why you need a guaranteed accessible room.

My hubby does not absolutely "require" an accessible room, but it does make things easier for him. He is mobile, but long distances require him to use a scooter at WDW. Lifting his knee over the edge of a tub is painful, but not impossible. We always request and receive an accesible room with a walk-in shower and king-sized bed.

I would call special services again and tell them you need an accessible room with grab bars. They should be able to guarantee that.

Carol
Old 11-25-2004, 07:17 PM   #21
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Thanks, Carol -

I will be sure to call them back asap!

Take care.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:04 PM   #22
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

Just bumping with an update since folks have been asking about rooms lately!!

Carol
Old 06-05-2005, 01:25 PM   #23
loadsapixiedust
DIS Veteran

Bumping this as I was wondering if anyone has any more to add.

2 weeks October 1998 Quail Ridge Villa 3 weeks March/April 2002 Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista
3 weeks July 2005 Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista, Port Orleans French Quarter, Animal Kingdom Lodge
10 days August 2006 Royal Plaza in the WDW Resort 2 weeks October 2006 All Star Movies
2 weeks June 2007 Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa 2 weeks Easter 2008 Cypress Pointe
2 weeks Dec 2008 Caribbean Beach & Port Orleans Riverside 2 weeks July 2009 Cypress Pointe Grandevillas
2 weeks Oct 2009 Coronado Springs 3 weeks July 2010 Port Orleans Riverside and Pop century
2 weeks June 2011 Bay Lake Tower & Kidani Village

June 2012 ~ Beach Club Villas * Vero Beach * Bay Lake Tower
unlucky 13th trip cancelled to make way for chemo - I'm pretty sure that will not be as much fun
Old 06-05-2005, 02:01 PM   #24
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

You need to insist that you speak to special needs and not let CRO say it is enough for them to do it. I find some feel it is too much of a bother so do not let you speak to special needs. I don't need the full shower either but need the full grab bars and it is enough to wait until I reach the resort and hope I get them.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Old 07-17-2005, 12:40 PM   #25
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Accessible DVC

Studio 2610 at OKW - walk-in shower, large bathroom, no tub, shower curtain drapes onto floor to a point where water doesn't get into the room; only problem, the plates, cups, etc were in a cabinet too high to reach from a seated position.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:18 PM   #26
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER

I notice that CRO is blocking us from contacting Special needs wehn we make a reservation. It makes me very unsure that I will get what is needed since I have multiple needs. I was told at first that I could not have both wheelchair accessibility and the needed visual alarms for heard of hearing in the same room as they don't have them both in one room. I basically told them to get the kit and set it up then. I will be calling tmw to make sure of what the have and insisting I talk to an confirm everey thing with special needs. Since I am travelling alone and do not have a fully hearing person to depend on for alarms I am concerned about this as well as having full grab bars in the tub so I don't fall.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Old 07-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #27
coinkc
You can find some hot dates at Six Flags St. Louis!

OKW rooms 2816 and 2815 are both accessible rooms. One is a studio and one is a 1 bedroom (sorry I can't remember which is which since we had both rooms). They both had the roll-in showers and the one-bedroom also had a huge jacuzzi tub. They are both on the ground floor by the way (terrible view, but we didn't care about that).
Old 07-25-2005, 10:41 AM   #28
loadsapixiedust
DIS Veteran

We have just returned from staying at POFQ and AKL.

At FQ we had room 3140, ground floor king with roll-in shower which connects with 3139 a standard 2 queen bed room.

At AKL we had room 4203 a standard view 2 queen bed room with roll-in shower on 4th floor Kudu trail above the lobby. The balcony of this room is closed in so no view at all if you are in a wheelchair and the balcony was very difficult to access too as the door opens out and takes up almost the whole width of the balcony when open. I would have thought a sliding door (as on the bathroom) would have been more appropriate.

2 weeks October 1998 Quail Ridge Villa 3 weeks March/April 2002 Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista
3 weeks July 2005 Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista, Port Orleans French Quarter, Animal Kingdom Lodge
10 days August 2006 Royal Plaza in the WDW Resort 2 weeks October 2006 All Star Movies
2 weeks June 2007 Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa 2 weeks Easter 2008 Cypress Pointe
2 weeks Dec 2008 Caribbean Beach & Port Orleans Riverside 2 weeks July 2009 Cypress Pointe Grandevillas
2 weeks Oct 2009 Coronado Springs 3 weeks July 2010 Port Orleans Riverside and Pop century
2 weeks June 2011 Bay Lake Tower & Kidani Village

June 2012 ~ Beach Club Villas * Vero Beach * Bay Lake Tower
unlucky 13th trip cancelled to make way for chemo - I'm pretty sure that will not be as much fun
Old 08-13-2005, 12:57 PM   #29
DisneyMom23Boys
Mouseketeer

ASMo Handicapped w/2 Beds?

Hi!

We are planning our first WDW trip with my 90 yo grandmother. Although we have been there many times this will be a first with my grandmother.

She walks with the aid of a walker, but we will be using her wheelchair at the parks every day.

I had some conflicting reports from CM's. One CM told me that even though there will be 4 people in the handicapped room (my parents, 12yo ds, and grandmother), only a king-sized bed would be available. The connecting room would have myself, dh, and 2 other sons in (non-handicapped room). She said that a roll-away bed could be used, but that would mean that 3 people would share the king-sized bed & 1 would use the roll-away. I'm concerned about this & the CM said that it would be "worked out" at check-in.

I spoke with a 2nd CM who said that there are 2 bed handicapped rooms available, but she couldn't tell me which building(s) they were located in.

I would like some specifics, but haven't gotten any. I'd like to have our check-in and stay to go as smoothly as possible for our family.

Have a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah Day!

Deb
Old 08-13-2005, 01:46 PM   #30
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryleo
Accessible AKL Concierge room!

I can't remember the number but if you stand in the Lobby and look up at the Con. Lounge the room is on the right about 3 doors down.
There were 5 of us in there. Me, DH (has MS) 2 kids and baby in crib.
There were 2 Queen beds.
Luckily DH's ECV could stay out on the landing for charging or we would never have had room. The bathroom is large with Roll-in Shower but there was no more room in there than at POR. If you are in a wheel chair and want to get onto the balcony you'd have to push the door outwards and try and get over a small door frame. Very badly thought out.
If you are in a wheelchair/ECV and want to get in the Elevator you've got to be real quick! You don't know which of the 6 will arrive and if you are facing the wrong way and don't get there in time you'd have to wait for the next one.
As you may have noticed we didn't like AKL. If there is just 2 of you and have a King bed you should be OK.
We also thought Concierge was a waste of money, even with a discount.
My experience was completely opposite with this room. First of all there is no lip to the balcony and I had no touble getting out there in my wheekchair. Second there was plently of room to manuever but I did not have a crib to worry about. We also used one with the tub railings and it had a bunk bed and queen and was quite roomy. I did have problem with the sliding glass doors and a lip there.
Elevator are fine, but yodu do have to be fast. That said, my kids told me thre was a ding when it arrived and they had no problem figuring where it came from. I can't hear the ding and still only missed it once.
We were 4 adults in the room. And we loved concierge.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: