Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2004, 08:00 AM   #1
BethR
On Thread Killer Patrol
Too much fun on the DIS today
Do we get FOOD on this thread?

Why Are There Such Fluctuations in AirFare?

Don't know if anyone can really answer this, but I am sure that many of you can comiserate.

For the past 6 weeks or longer, I have been watching airfare on USAirways (we have to use them since we are using a couple of FF tickets) from Pittsburgh to Orlando for an August RT. I have not been able to book because we are still unsure if our neice will be joining us or not. In the past 5 days, I have seen the price for the flight that we want go from $175 up to $215 down to $195.

I hope to have this finalized by today or tomorrow before the FF seats disappear. I hope that the rate stays down or goes down even further before then. But who knows?
BethR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 08:22 AM   #2
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

I don't know why there's such a difference, but I can sympathize. My DH finally got our tickets yesterday, Columbus to MCO was $211 pp on Delta, NW (his preferred airline) was $280-ish per person, and even though he has enough FF miles for 2 adult tickets on NW leaving us only having to buy 1 child ticket and 1 infant ticket, there weren't any seats on the plane. When he checked a couple weeks ago, the fares were different, but I'm not sure what they were exactly. I would think the Delta flight would be more expensive, it's non-stop; the NW one has a layover in Detroit.

Maybe it would have been better for us to drive to Pitt to fly, I never thought of that. Pitt is about a 3 hour drive for us, maybe 3-1/2 hours, and Columbus is about 2-1/2. DH has family in the Pitt area we could have visited, and they don't live too far from the airport......

Sorry to ramble on your thread, but you got me thinking on that one...

Steph
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-08-2004, 08:36 AM   #3
mad4themouse
Never truly happy unless I'm planning a trip to WDW
Laugh at him and say "You can't possibly be serious!"

BethR,
It's a shame that PIT doesn't have Southwest flying out of it! Once they opened here in PHL, the costs of flying to MCO have plummeted! A little competition has really shaken up US"Scare".

As to why prices are fluctuating so much, I think it's knee-jerk reactions to the cost of fuel. With the OPEC leaders meeting last weekend and promising to step up production, I think there was a little dip in all airfares.
mad4themouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 08:41 AM   #4
hercamore
beagle boy mom
All she can say is SAVE SAVE SAVE for kids' education!
I am addicted to TYCB frozen yogurt swirl pops!

We rarely see under $200 flying out of MN.

So, your price looks pretty good to me!

I was reading an article in our local paper that said 75% of domestic airline seats for top destinations are already sold for July/Aug.

Hard to believe!

herc.
4/01 CBR/HRH
08/01 AKL/offsite
01/03 OKW/offsite
12/04 Cypress Pointe
8/06 Pop Century
11/07 SOG/Pop Century

Samuel Hercamore Beagle.
RIP. 10/15/94-01/12/11
hercamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:09 AM   #5
Amberle3
Likes to absorb the park
I'm in Ebay shock!

I was going to post the "If Airlines Sold Paint" joke, but I see it's been posted a few times before. He's a link to the most recent posting:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....Bsold+%2Bpaint

Now the scary thing is, that yes this is pretty much exactly how the airlines sell seats.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:26 AM   #6
BethR
On Thread Killer Patrol

bignbabyblues, is it worth the 6 o 7 hours round trip to save what you could have flying out of Pittsburgh? I would have to save over $50 a ticket (or more) to make it worth my while.

Mad4themouse, we WISH that SWA would come to Pittsburgh. USAir has had a stranglehold on flights there. And now we are no longer a "Hub City," so there will be less flights and more connecting flights out of here.

herc, I know that that rate probably sounds good to you and others, but we have never paid OVER $200 for a flight, we usually pay around $175 and have paid as little as $148! And from wat you say about airline seats, it looks like I better moe QUICKLY on this!

Amberle3, I have read that before and it is priceless (pun intended ).
Old 06-08-2004, 06:36 PM   #7
KELLY
DIS Veteran

Good rate

We got SouthWest for 350.00 for two out of manchester Nh to MCo. Sorry this doesn't help in your area. I Don't like paying over 200.00 a ticket either that is why we never fly out of Portland ME it is closer but the never have NS and the are always laying over in OH. KELLY
KELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:16 PM   #8
Frannypooh
Earning My Ears

I'm paying $1,060.20 for 6 seats on SW airlines for our trip in Oct

that's cheapers than what I paid for 5 two years ago
So glad SW came to phila!!

Fran
Frannypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 08:55 PM   #9
ericamanda01
Some people dream in black and white, I dream in Disney!
Noodles for Poodles!!
Just think how boring the world would be if we were all the same!

I have noticed that same thing. I have been watching Northwest which started at $215 each from SEA. Then jumped to $285 then back down to $217. It's driving me crazy. I want to buy the tickets but have to wait. I am hoping that they stay down for the next two weeks.
ME DVC Member 2006 DH

ericamanda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:39 PM   #10
drgnfly30
Take my advice, never pay full price
They call me Bobbie Vila around these parts!
I can't stop smelling myself!

I just need SWA to start booking into November - the only prices I've been able to get from PHL to MCO is $282 a ticket! Too rich for my blood - I'm hoping once they extend their dates I'll be able to get a deal.
Christine

Offsite 1973~1977~1983 ~ POR Nov 2001 ~ CR Oct 2002 ~ Offsite Sept 2004 ~ Nick Oct 2004 ~ POP Feb 2006 ~ Indian Creek Villa June 2006~July 2007~June 2008 ~ CSR June 2009 ~ POP Aug 2011 ~ Swan June 2012~Dolphin August 2013~CBR Sept 2014 ~ YC Sept 2015
drgnfly30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:36 PM   #11
candykisses
Ask Me About My Sheltie
Likes to cool off with the Tiki Birds

Airfares out of PIT chnge like the weather. We always fly USAir to MCO, but I wish Southwest would come into PIttsburgh.

I've been watching prices for a couple of months and finally booked a couple of weeks ago for $700 for the 4 of us. I'm happy with that rate. Non stop flights both ways.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:02 PM   #12
BethR
On Thread Killer Patrol

Well, we finally booked our air this morning. We paid $195 for 3 tickets, got 2 FF awards tickets, and got 1 free ticket from a 3 for 1 promotion from last fall, so I can't complain.

Now that we have book airfare, I can actually say "We're going to DISNEY WORLD!!!"
Old 06-09-2004, 11:33 PM   #13
Taja
DIS Veteran

Southwest has the best routes out of PHX (Phoenix Sky Harbor), and frequently the best rates. I have a flight voucher (RT) for my September trip, but the fares were running about $215 RT on the better routes (1 stop, no transfers). Other airlines are a bit more and all of the require layovers and transfers.

When I booked my flights for last December, Southwest had an airfare sale (August), so it was $180 round trip. When I discovered in early October that I could extend my trip by 3 days, the airfare was more than double!

It's basically what the market will bear, unless they have a lot of unsold seats near flight time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: