Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2004, 10:42 PM   #1
daisylove
Met a DISboard Celebrity!

Are coolers allowed? how about drinks in bag?

I am trying to plan and with theheat already I know we will need extra water etc... I have a small cooler soft sided that fits in the stroller. I know WDW allows it in but does Universal?

If not, how about a couple bottles of water in the backpack?

Thanks!!!
daisylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 12:30 PM   #2
Figment22
Hulk, MIB & MLB Fan!
Big IoA Fan
For pure food choice, I'd pick Wolfgang Puck

Officially, you're not allowed to bring these in. This is from the UO website:

Security Procedures
For your safety we have increased security procedures and ask for your understanding and cooperation.

Coolers are not permitted in the Parks.
No outside food or drinks may be brought in.
All bags, backpacks or packages will be inspected prior to entering our Parks.
We recommend you leave unnecessary articles in your car and secure valuables in your trunk.
The following items are not permitted: any type of weapon, alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, large duffle bags, folding chairs and large umbrellas.

All that being said, we always bring in cooler bottles that we bought at Wal-Mart. They're one liter bottles that zip into an insulated cooler wrap. We always fill them with Gatorade and either freeze them (if we're staying somewhere with a full size refrigerator/freezer) or load them up with ice. We usually use the powdered Gatorade so it can be made strong for when the ice begins to melt. Need to replace those electrolytes in the Florida heat or I get like this

We usually also bring along granola bars or some small non-melting snack item that fits in a pocket or fanny pack. Although all bags are checked when you enter the front gates, we've never been told we couldn't bring these things in with us.

Hope this helps.

161st and River Ave, Bronx, NY. Home of the 27 Time World Champions! 1923, '27, '28, '32
'36, '37, '38, '39, '41, '43, '47, '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '56, '58, '61, '62, '77, '78, '96, '98, '99, 2000, 2009
Figment22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2004, 01:39 PM   #3
Teris

Hmmm...

We have never had them make any fuss about bringing in drinks in our backpacks either. It doesn't prevent us from needing to purchase more drinks once we are in the parks tho either,,lol,, but it gives me the illusion that I am being frugal if I at least bring some drinks from the hotel.

Just a note,, if you are staying in one of the club levels, the soft drinks are in glass containers,, they aren't allowed by the pool area, or in the parks,, but the plastic bottles of water are fine. I got scolded for having a bottle of diet coke by the pool from the club area

The staff in the club will encourage you to take the plastic water bottles tho.

I like the idea of powder gatoraid,, do they make it in a sugarfree form tho? I am diabetic, and can't drink the regular version

<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'April 28, 2005 1:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=red> Wilderness Lodge, here we come! </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Wooooo!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
Teris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 03:20 PM   #4
profdsny
DIS Veteran

And what does bring food and drink into the park have to do with security measures? Are they afraid someone will get attacked with a ham sandwich? I know they are trying to make a buck, and that's okay. That's what they are there for. And the restaurants are pretty good. But don't blame it on increased security procedures.
profdsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:13 PM   #5
daisylove

Its weird to me that Disney has much the same policy but I have never heard of anyone having a problem but a friend was telling me that US is very strict on no coolers.

Anyone actually been turned away or had a cooler etc taken away at US?
Old 06-01-2004, 09:00 PM   #6
daisylove

I am wondering now if I am going to get yelled at. I usually carry a bag that is part cooler and I can't decide if I should risk it (and maybe some extra water...?)
Old 06-01-2004, 09:08 PM   #7
themepark
Wanted: Your trip reports!
Ick to tennis shoes!

I saw several people last week with those soft side coolers on wheels in the parks. I also saw small soft side coolers packed away in strollers. I carried in a soft drink in a plastic bottle and had water bottles in my bag on several days and no one said anything.
themepark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:37 PM   #8
daisylove

I feel better now. At least what I am talking about is not on its own wheels.:D Sometime I just use a 12 pack soft sided (fairly small) as a catch all bag for my DD5 and me. Or I have the old diaper bag/cooler pocket. I just did not want to get there and be told to dump perfectly good water. Thanks. Any others been lately can tell what they did?
Old 06-01-2004, 11:23 PM   #9
the Dark Marauder
Proud Redhead
Time Travel Grand Master
It has achieved Legendary status

Quote:
Originally posted by profdsny
And what does bring food and drink into the park have to do with security measures? Are they afraid someone will get attacked with a ham sandwich?
No, but there was that one time where a Big Mac suddenly turned violent and threw lettuce at the security guard and threw onions at the guy who was bringing the Big Mac in.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:51 PM   #10
MrsMud
Thinks the Ghostbuster wearing the Cowboy hat is cute
The Tag Fairy can wear a Cowboy hat too

DM:
Quote:
No, but there was that one time where a Big Mac suddenly turned violent and threw lettuce at the security guard and threw onions at the guy who was bringing the Big Mac in.
MrsMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 08:39 AM   #11
Figment22
Hulk, MIB & MLB Fan!
Big IoA Fan
For pure food choice, I'd pick Wolfgang Puck

Quote:
Originally posted by the Dark Marauder
As long as there was no "special sauce" involved, I'm fine with this

161st and River Ave, Bronx, NY. Home of the 27 Time World Champions! 1923, '27, '28, '32
'36, '37, '38, '39, '41, '43, '47, '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '56, '58, '61, '62, '77, '78, '96, '98, '99, 2000, 2009
Figment22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 09:51 PM   #12
daisylove

Well I think I am going to try it. These 90+ days lately have convinced me.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:13 AM   #13
CJK
BL II -Purple Team
Member of the RP Bad Girls Club
Mesmerized by Clay!
That feeling of accomplishment becomes addictive

At Disney, we always fill our hip pouches with granola bars, crackers, etc... and have never had a problem. I guess from this thread, we can probably do the same thing at Universal. Thanks for the info!
CJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:18 AM   #14
daisylove

I know that there is no problem at Disney parks bringing in colers (small) or stuff in bags so you should be just fine> I am a little still worried about Universal. It has been so hot and humid already down here in So Fla that I have pretty much decided to risk it at US and see what happens. I have seen some posts that people were not allowed even water bottles but I will see what happens. Good luck and have fun!
Old 06-08-2004, 09:27 AM   #15
DDinGA
Earning My Ears

The security guard made a woman in front of me store a hard small (6pk type) coleman cooler at guest services.
DDinGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: