Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2004, 08:36 AM   #1
sam08223
Mouseketeer

Castaway Cay Sun questions?

Going on a 4 day Disney cruise in Jan '05 with my parents. My Dad has had some skin cancer problems and is concerned about finding areas where he can be out of the direct sun - esp on Castaway Cay. Of course we'll all use sun block etc- Are there areas where he can duck out of the sun and still enjoy Castaway Cay? Thanks
BCV Oct '04 /2nd DCL Jan 05
BCVOct '05 /DCL 7 day Feb '06
BCV Oct '06 DLR Oct 07
POR/BCV Dec 07/DCL 4day-BCV Oct'08
BCV Oct'09 /SSR Dec'9
BLT Mar 10/ BCV Oct 10 / BWV Dec 10 (burrr)
sam08223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:55 AM   #2
tkd lisa
I didn't make the Osborne Lights yet
I try to shoot between 8 and 8:15

There are umbrellas scattered throughout the beach. If you aren't early, you may need to go farther down the family beach, but there are many many umbrellas, so you shouldn't have problems finding one.

Cookies has covered eating areas (think of the shelter houses that you see at nice state parks).

The area when you get off the ship is pretty well in full sun though. The trams themselves are covered. If he's REALLY sensitive, you might want to take a small umbrella with you to use during the times he's out in the sun. My FIL has also had skin cancer, and we're just bringing LOTS of sunscreen and a hat for him.

tkd lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2004, 11:05 AM   #3
BALAMAV
Mouseketeer

Make sure you get off the ship as soon as you can. Find out the night before to see the times. We were off by 9. We were able to get chairs uder umbrellas. The place got crowded within a half after we got there. Even if all of your party can't go that early send someone to get the chairs and go back and eat breakfast. The lunch buffet doesn't open till 11:30. The sun is very hot. We applied sun screen all day and wore hats. Have fun Brenda
BALAMAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:15 PM   #4
invaderzim

I, too, have had several bouts of skin cancer -- and next week start a two-week procedure of skin chemo. Since we are taking the Western Caribbean cruise in AUGUST -- I am very nervous about the intense sun in Key West, CC, etc. I just went out and bought two brim hats and lots of sunscreen.

There are plenty of shady places (umbrellas, plus palm trees), but you do need to get there early to obtain them. Tell your dad to also bring an umbrella. When walking around, I just used my umbrella. He can get a nice bright one to match the tropical feel! Who cares what other people think -- it's your skin!
invaderzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:12 PM   #5
WDWLVR
DVC @ The Boardwalk
Have veranda will cruise
We cruised under a DVC flag - how cool is that?!?

Another great place to get out of the sun is the game room on Castaway Cay. I think they have foosball, chess, billards, etc. all under a covered shaded are. I also think they have ceiling fans there. I would be a great place to stay out of the sun.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:23 PM   #6
GenieDana
DIS Veteran

Do not forget to treat your clothes with Rit Sunguard. It works.
GenieDana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 07:05 PM   #7
hydster
Self Proclaimed "Dis Board Crackpot"
I'm pissed off at my tree fiasco
Now my whole family calls me whiz

If your dad can swing it...the best advice we received was once off the ship keep walking to the farther end of the family beach (if you have kids going) because everyone tends to stop at the place nearest the ship but if you keep walking it's easier to get some loungers with an umbrella. We were pretty early off the ship (waited in the horrendous line to get off) and walked the whole way *didn't take the tram* and we were able to get 2 umbrellas and loungers and the umbrellas came in very handy.

Heidi
hydster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:33 PM   #8
invaderzim

Heidi --

Right on. Perfect suggestion. On our first cruise, we ran off the ship and grabbed loungers and umbrellas right in the middle. It was mobbed. On our last cruise, we got smart and walked all the way to the end of the beach (past Cookie's BBQ). It's a little away from the mobs and you have a great view of the ship.

Good luck, and have a great time.
invaderzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:53 PM   #9
momsgoofy

Hello! My name is Laura and I'm a Tag-aholic!!

Anybody know when the next T.A. meeting is???

Cool

I empathize with you...my mother (who was not someone who spent a lot of time in the sun) lost her life to melanoma in 1999 so I am very cautious about my time in the sun and even more so with my light brown haired, fair skinned son. His biological father had an ear removed due skin cancer. We regularly see our dermatologist.

We use a high rated SPF sunscreen (water/sweatproof) and REAPPLY OFTEN...my son learned this the hard way last year when he blistered while at a friend's. I wear a wide brimmed hat...found one that folds up into a 4 inch in diameter zippered circle at Target for less than $5. When ds was younger he wore a "French Foreign Legion" hat with the flaps down the neck...wouldn't be caught dead in it now.

If you are concerned that you might not get an umbrella at CC, you could take one of your own. We have a BigLots near us that had the kind that clip onto a chair for around $5. These are about size of a standard umbrella and should fit into a suitcase.

Also, your dad could take a lightweight long sleeved shirt to wear while walking. My mom's oncologist suggested a catalog that sold protective clothing...the name was something like "columbo", but I just typed in "protective sun wear" at google and came back with some sites that sell similar products. The clothing is lightweight and made to protect you from the harmful rays. The company the doctor suggested had neat "sleeves" for when you are driving your car...that one arm tan we get from resting our arms on the door. This might be something to look into for your dad.

It's really good of you to be concerned about your dad's health and your own. My oldest sister still lays out on the boat when they go to the lake and even used a tanning bed for her daughter's wedding. It amazes me after we both saw our mom after so many surgeries due to the melanoma.

Do have a great cruise...there are ways to without risking your dad's health.

Laura šoš

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."- Voltaire

Off site 1990*Polynesian 1999*AKL 2003*DCL Thanksgiving 2004*OKW June 2005*SSR Christmas 2005*1st DL Trip Grand Californian 2006*Princess Trip YC/SSR 2006*SSR/BC May 2007*WLV/SSR January 2008*Marching Lions Trip AKV March 2008*SSR June 2008*YC July 2008*SSR January 2009*DL March 2009*OKW June 2009*DL July 2009*SSR Thanksgiving 2009*WDW/DCL January 2010*OKW June 2010*SSR January 2011
momsgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:58 AM   #10
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

The sun is intense there (especially if you are from the north and NJ is north). Since you are going in January it's going to be doubly bad for you. There really is a lot of shade available on CC. There are the umbrellas with chairs on the beach. Cookies is covered and you can see the beach from there.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 05:38 PM   #11
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?

In reply to Momsgoofy's post,

Solumbra is a type of material that block most UV rays. Sun Precautions is the name of the catalog that sells clothing recommended for people with sensitive skin. The clothing is expensive, but at least you can enjoy the Carribbean. We found the walk from the ship to Castaway Cay beaches very hot and long. You can always request a wheelchair with an umbrella from guest services on the ship if you feel the walk will be too much for your dad.

Good luck!
Old 05-18-2004, 06:41 PM   #12
GenieDana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsG
In reply to Momsgoofy's post,

Solumbra is a type of material that block most UV rays. Sun Precautions is the name of the catalog that sells clothing recommended for people with sensitive skin. The clothing is expensive, but at least you can enjoy the Carribbean.
Get the same effect with RIT Sunguard. It is a wash-in sunscreen treatment for clothes that doesn't change texture, color, etc. Wash (treat) a whole load for $3. Believe me it works - DD(10) got Melanoma at age 6, and has never been tan, burnt, etc. We have always used sunscreen SPF-45 and greater on our kids.

This is the stuff what her Dermotologists recommended to treat all of our clothing. It has paid off since.

See:

http://www.ritdye.com/sun_guard/
GenieDana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 10:45 PM   #13
momsgoofy

Hello! My name is Laura and I'm a Tag-aholic!!

Anybody know when the next T.A. meeting is???

Thumbs up Thanks!

It had been about 10 years since my mom's doctor made the reccomendation and I had it in my mind that Solumbra was a name brand. Sun Precautions is the site I found when I did the google search and it is pricey.

I had never heard of the ritdye sunscreen product, but I think I will give it a try myself. I'm sure I can find it locally, if not I will check the site listed. Thanks!

Laura šoš

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."- Voltaire

Off site 1990*Polynesian 1999*AKL 2003*DCL Thanksgiving 2004*OKW June 2005*SSR Christmas 2005*1st DL Trip Grand Californian 2006*Princess Trip YC/SSR 2006*SSR/BC May 2007*WLV/SSR January 2008*Marching Lions Trip AKV March 2008*SSR June 2008*YC July 2008*SSR January 2009*DL March 2009*OKW June 2009*DL July 2009*SSR Thanksgiving 2009*WDW/DCL January 2010*OKW June 2010*SSR January 2011
momsgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: