Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
ChuckOp
My other car is a monorail

Intimidated or just unaccustomed?

I'd participate more on DISboards, but frankly, some of the postings are unintelligible. I feel like I would instantly telegraph my naivety.

There are a lot of acronyms for the various places, which might be helpful for sender of the message, but it can make it a lot harder for those unaccustomed to them. Took me awhile to figure out that "DM" meant "Disney Mom". Don't know why a "mom" has to be "DM", you're not saving any keystrokes.

I would just like to offer that many of the postings here seem very cliquish and oft-putting to the uninitiated. Hopefully that's not the intent.

Anyone else feel that way? Or will I get used to it and starting saying things like "BTW, my DS5 loves the CS @ CS, and one CM at CM's (ADR) at CR was really nice."
ChuckOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
CoP I Love You
there's a great big beautiful tomorrow

actually DM usually means darling mom.
just like DS is darling son and DD is darling daughter and DH is darling husband and DW is darling wife.

you do get used to it quickly.
I like to use short cuts for ride names such as CoP for carousel of progress and 7DMT for seven dwarfs mine train and POTC for pirates of the Caribbean.
it also comes in hand for restaurants like Cinderella's royal table which is CRT for short.
and most people know that BLT is bay lake tower.

and CM is a very very very common wone for cast members but also for chef mickey's which you can usually tell which CM someone is talking about by the rest of the post.

its also much easier to say ADR instead of advanced dining reservations.

and MDE intead of my Disney experience.

and DME instead of Disney's magical express.

and MSEP is easier then main street electrical parade.

unfortunately if you can't get used to it then you may not enjoy coming on here cuz people aren't gonna change the way they type.

Last edited by CoP I Love You; 12-27-2014 at 03:48 PM.
CoP I Love You is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
Sir William
DIS Veteran

Go back to the main board and find "Welcome to the DIS", which should be the first sub-forum listed. Within that you'll find a "Guide to Abbreviations", which will list most of the various abbreviations on the board, though not all.

You get used to it after awhile. Hang in there. If you can't find it on the list and can't work out what it means, just ask. You won't be the first, or the last, to be confused by all the abbreviations.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014; Disney Magic, Mediterranean, May-Jun 2014

Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
ChuckOp
My other car is a monorail

Thanks

Thanks, I know were to find the list of abbreviations. My point is that excessive use of the abbreviations is oft-putting to newcomers.
ChuckOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

Huh... I am with Chuck. I thought the DM was Disney Mom too...

Been here awhile now and still have trouble figuring some of the excessive abbreviations so I can see where you are coming from Chuck!
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #6
Airship Ariadne
DIS Veteran

I thought "Disney Daughter" for DD as well...because that's how I used it...shes 13..."darling" and teenager, not an easy leap
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things donít always spoil the good things or make them unimportant. -The Doctor

Dec 2014 Trip Report #Kindnessmatters...or Loki's Adventure in WDW
Airship Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
CalicoSky
Mouseketeer

It does take some getting used to, but based on other message boards I've participated in for numerous topics beyond Disney, an abundance of acronyms and abbreviations is common. I believe it to be due to a desire for shortcuts (and the move toward "typing" and reading on phones and tablets vs. computers with full keyboards and large screens) rather than an attempt to exclude or intimidate anyone. True, DM is only one letter shorter than Mom, but when you throw in other relationships like daughter, husband, mother-in-law, it does save some keystrokes.

The "D" in front of the abbreviation is typically "Dear" or "Darling" or, in less charitable moments, an impolite word that starts with "D" along with the relationship. For kids, the child's age often follows the abbreviation so the poster can reference multiple sons or daughters without having to use their names.

Most posters are pretty good at forming a coherent message, though there sometimes are statements like "Had the best CM at CM at the CR!" that are head-scratchers at first. (Cast Member, Chef Mickey's, Contemporary Resort, respectively)

Stick around, it does get easier!
CalicoSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
BrianL
Doom Buggy Driver

Welcome to the Dis.

Try not to be too put off by the lingo. We really don't mean it to be cliquish. Honestly, Dis is one of the most civil an nice boards I've ever been on, and it's really the only one I bother posting on anymore. There's some grumbling about anything new or different, but mostly everyone is great.

Remember that the primary purpose of the boards is to help people with planning trips. The experts, such as they are, offer their advice to the first-timers, who then return with feedback that helps everyone understand what works and what doesn't. It takes a little effort on everyone's part to understand and also to be understood. If you ever have a question about something, an abbreviation you don't get, just ask; the posters will answer.

BTW, I never use the DM, etc. It's not required. Just hang around a bit, hopefully you'll find it fun.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

Just wait, if you stay here long enough you will starting thinking in Dis code. In fact when I am talking to friends about Disney it is almost impossible for me to not use the acronyms. That is what made it fun for me...so I practiced and now I think in code.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15, Fall 2016
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:10 AM   #10
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Welcome OP! I've been here a long time and still stumble thru often. I just learned things reading thru this thread for petes sake. Some posters just abbreviate everything, others not so much. Regardless, I hope you can get the information your looking for because the DIS people are very knowledgable and ( mostly) willing to offer up help without being off putting.
Again, welcome!
Old 12-31-2014, 08:02 AM   #11
jeanico2000
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckOp View Post
Thanks, I know were to find the list of abbreviations. My point is that excessive use of the abbreviations is oft-putting to newcomers.
I've been frequenting these wonderful boards for a while now and will admit that some messages still have me thinking 'Wait... What?' . Although I agree with you that the use of acronyms does get out of hand at times, the wealth of information to be garnered here makes the guessing game totally worthwhile!
jeanico2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #12
nighttowll
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckOp View Post
I'd participate more on DISboards, but frankly, some of the postings are unintelligible. I feel like I would instantly telegraph my naivety.

There are a lot of acronyms for the various places, which might be helpful for sender of the message, but it can make it a lot harder for those unaccustomed to them. Took me awhile to figure out that "DM" meant "Disney Mom". Don't know why a "mom" has to be "DM", you're not saving any keystrokes.

I would just like to offer that many of the postings here seem very cliquish and oft-putting to the uninitiated. Hopefully that's not the intent.

Anyone else feel that way? Or will I get used to it and starting saying things like "BTW, my DS5 loves the CS @ CS, and one CM at CM's (ADR) at CR was really nice."
We talk in code because it's all part of our evil plan to keep all the best tips and secrets for ourselves!

But seriously, I have had a few ??? moments as well and still do. I couldn't figure out OP for the life of me and had to ask. But overall, it's not that bad. I very rarely see sentences with acronyms to the degree of your example which I admit stumped me for a sec. Mostly, you just see them as a way to shorten much longer words and phrases.

As far as the use of D, as others have stated, I don't think that is a DIS Boards thing. I've always been told it meant dear. I first encountered it and was confused by it on a forum completely unrelated to Disney. The use of D seems pretty universal on forums to me. However, I do admit I've always found it a bit strange, and I've often wondered how it got started.

As far as adding the age afterwards, that makes more sense on a practical level to me. For instance, if you are asking which attractions your family might like, it is helpful to know if your child is 2 or 10. I honestly wish more people would add the age. I only see it added about half the time, and there are many instances where it would be useful in answering the question to know it.

In general, if you aren't comfortable with the abbreviations, just don't use them. I see plenty of posts all the time that aren't abbreviated or with limited use of abbreviations. I myself use very little abbreviation and never write out DM. I just write mom or mother. It is just too awkward to me. No one will know you are new because you donít abbreviate. They will know you are new because your post count is 10. Donít worry about it. People are here because they love Disney, love to plan, and love to help others plan. So if this is you or you need help planning youíve found the right place and welcome!
nighttowll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
Carolyn Louise
Earning My Ears

FYI, google is perfectly helpful for identifying abbreviations you're not familiar with. Just search Disney World + the abbreviation.
Carolyn Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #14
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

You really get used to it after a while... To the point you might not even notice it.

I personnally try to avoid except when I talk about my husband (DH) and resorts.

Stayed at...

Disney: Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans French Quarter & Riverside. Animal Kingdom Lodge, Polynesian Village & Yacht Club

Downtown Disney Hotel: Wyndham Lake Buena Vista

Universal: Royal Pacific Resort
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #15
Elevationist
DIS Veteran

December 4-11, 2015 Art of Animation

September 2014, Pop Century - December 2009, Coronado Springs - February 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge - January 2005, All-Star Music
January 2002, Offsite - July 2000, Offsite - January 2000, Offsite - April 1998, All-Star Sports - May 1986, Offsite

Elevationist is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: