Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2004, 08:30 AM   #16
Billmel
DIS Veteran

Question???

My DD and my DGD are going with my DH and I to WDW in a few days....my DD is scared to death that she will turn around and take her eyes off of her for a minute and she will be gone. She is so nervouse that she doesn't want to do anything with just her and her DD she wants us around all the time. DGD is 11 months old and just now walking, so her walking off is not the issue. DD is afraid someone will just pick her up and walk away....My DD is 19 and worries alot about the baby. I suggested buying a harness that attaches the baby to her wrist, or the stroller to give my DD a little more confidence so she is not so nervous. She is such a good mom, I would hate for her to be so nervous that she misses the enjoyment of her DD first trip to WDW, and our DGD first trip. Any suggestions????
Old 04-30-2004, 08:41 AM   #17
sha_lyn
If we couldn't laugh we'd all go insane

on another thread some mentioned an electronic devise that attaches to the parent and child. It the child gets out of a certain range an alarm goes off. Maybe that would work well to give her some peace of mind. Hopefully someone will post here that knows more about it.
sha_lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2004, 08:46 AM   #18
sha_lyn
If we couldn't laugh we'd all go insane

Quote:
Don't use the stretchy leash harnesses! A short, non-stretchy cord is much safer.
ITA

Also from experience I learned the harness is safer than the arm strap. If (when LOL) they decided ot try to run off with the arm strap they usually end up losing their balance when they get ot the end and they whip around and fall hard and don't have that hand to help catch them.
sha_lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 12:00 PM   #19
epjenk
Cruising with my boys!

I'm all for using the rein. We used it with DS when he was 3 and we had our 1 1/2 year old. As far as people looking at you, they are not the child's parent and they are not responsible for keeping him safe in this world- you are! I wouldn't use it for a 5 year old, but I find the idea that it is "dehumanizing" a bit extreme. Having to sit in a stroller where you can't really see what is going on and get the exercise that little bodies crave seems far more cruel to me. I can't tell you how many exhausted parents came up to me in the parks and asked where I had gotten the strap for my son. (I got mine at WalMart)

Glad you posted this thread- it reminded me to pack the strap for my my now 2 1/2 year old!
epjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 12:05 PM   #20
LoriAnn630
Earning My Ears

Harness for toddlers

We bought a harness yesterday. We are only going to use it in Disney World. We were going to get haircuts. DS usually has to stay in his stroller, which he hates!! He usually cries and makes everyone uncomfortable. You cant take him out of the stroller because he runs as fast as the wind. Its very hard to keep up with him!! Before you know it hes into something he shouldnt be. Then your saying, "NO!" and cleaning up his mess or washing his hands...ect...and as soon as your done doing that hes into something else!! LOL We put the harness on him to see how he was going to react. HE LOVED IT! He was able to walk around the waiting area with my DH. He was happy and semi-quiet. We are still going to teach him his boundries, what he can do and cant. After spening all this money for Disney World we want to make it as pleasant as possible for everyone!!
We are still practicing holding hands and walking at home.

43 more days to go!
LoriAnn630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 03:44 PM   #21
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room

I bought one at Walmart in the baby section for like three dollars. It had a harness and a wrist strap. We used it last November when my youngest was 2 1/2. It was the best thing I ever did!

My older two would never have needed one. But this one is a little wild child!!! (And I wouldn't want her any other way.)
She did not like the harness, but loved the wrist strap. She said it was how we hold hands without getting wet. I think she meant how her hands get sweaty when they are being held.

A couple of times we connected it to the stroller and she thought she was pulling the stroller.

I always hated the idea, but after trying it out, I was convinced. In today's world, it is sad but true that if they disappear for a second you may not get a second chance. I wasn't willing to take that risk.

Still...I do agree that everyone has to do what feels right for them.

Heather C
HeatherC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 04:24 PM   #22
jobanana
Mouseketeer

when my D was younger she was at the mall w/ her dad and she was staring at these kids and he didn't know why. She looked up at him and said "did you see those dog kids?" ha ha. He had to explain it to her. She's almost 5 now and still calls them that. But as a kidding thing.

I personally say do what YOU feel is nessacary to feel safe w/ your kids.

& on
jobanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 05:04 PM   #23
Carrie Ellis
DIS Veteran

We are going to DW this fall and I am planning on using ours. I have twin 3 year olds and twins 7 year olds. If the 3 year olds wish to walk and it is crowded I will use them. If I had 1 child it would probably be a little easier to keep my eye on them but!!!! We don't! I have heard very ignorant comments from people because I do have four children. I am so use to not caring what people think! Such comments as "glad it is you and not me" and "Are you done?"

What I am saying is do what you know is right and do not care what people say or think. You can never please the majority and stares and comments will come from people no matter what.

Also, have you ever lost a child...boy that can ruin a day. Even after you find them, you will have that sick feeling!

Not worth it!!

Fort Wilderness 2004
Fort Wilderness 2005 Sis trip!
Christmas 2006 at CBR
Fort Wilderness 2007 with the Stahls!
Fort Wilderness 2008 with friends, family and BFF!
Fort Wilderness August 2009 My boys turn 13!
Fort Wilderness November 2009 My boy/girl turn 9!
Christmas at Ft. Wilderness 2010 with Mom and Dad and Sis and Bro-n-law
Disney Art of Animation trip!!! September 2012
Carrie Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 07:00 PM   #24
Kate-n-sam
Mouseketeer

we just returned, saw lots of people using them, even on kids that looked to be 6 or 7. I wish I had brought mine for my own sanity....I stupidly 'lost' my 3 year old and didn't even realize it. We walked down the ramp for Small world, I thought he was right behind me. When we go to board and the CM says how many I say 7. She says line 7 and 8...the usual. I have one foot in the boat and realize he's not with us. Luckily it was a walk on. I run back up the ramp and another family says 'he's up there.' When I make it to the top the poor little guy is running in circles screaming. I felt so bad. My mom thought I had him and I thought she had him. He was probably up there for less than a minute, but when I realized he was gone it felt like 10 minutes...worked out in the end
PO Feb 00
Off-site Dec 00
WL Villas March 01
WL Oct 01
Windsor Palms Villa 4/2004
3 day mini trip April 22-24 2007...not even sure where we are staying yet!!
Kate-n-sam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: