Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2004, 12:20 PM   #1
trish1970
Life is good at the Poly
Enjoys the parks ... rain or shine

Camera and Video ?? HELP!

This will be our first trip with DS (who will be almost 3 when we go). I am already worried about how we are going to manage with controlling DS along with the stroller/ snacks/ water/ sunscreen/ diapers/ clothing while in the parks. However, as you all know, we cannot leave this blessed event undocumented While I would love to have both pics and video, is it going to be impossible to bring and use them both?

Also, we have a great digital camera (Sony Cyber Shot), but it is somewhat large with a zoom lens. I suggested to DH that we think about getting a smaller digital camera for this trip and he is ready to kill me ALthough my camera takes great pics, I envy those who pull their cameras out of their pockets and quickly point and click. Can anyone recommend a small digital camera?

I would love to hear any advice or suggestions from you all! I don't know how I would plan this trip without this board!! Thanks
trish1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:40 PM   #2
CEDmom
Knows 101 things to do with an empty waffle box
Wouldn't mind being nominated for What Not to Wear
I just kind of grazed through the afternoon

We have a great digital camera (Fuji finepix 2800) but it's not all that small. We've opted not to bring the video camera on any of our trips because it's just too big and I don't want to invest in a smaller one at this point.

However, I do have a few suggestions for you. Bring your digital and video cameras but don't plan on bringing them both to the parks each day. Maybe bring the video for when you first enter MK and for other firsts (i.e. seeing Mickey). Take the digital for the days you don't bring the video. Finally, pack a few disposable cameras and keep one in your pocket for quick candid shots. Have a great trip.
CEDmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2004, 01:30 PM   #3
M&M's Daddy
Earning My Ears

Smile

We have alway's brought both a camera and a camcorder down to WDW. We started going annually the when first DD was almost 3 in 1999. Back then we had a Panasonic compact VHS camera and a compact Canon Advantix camera. Neither was as compact as the cameras we now carry. On the first trip we didn't bring the camcorder to the parks everyday, but when we got back home and watched the video, we loved every minute that we taped. Since then we have never gone into a park without both camera and camcorder.

Our camera is a four year old digital Canon Power shot 100. We love it. It only takes up to 2 MB resolution vs up to 6 MB for the newer cameras but we like the pictures we get. The camera is compact enough to fit in a pant or shirt pocket, but I usually carry the camera in a small case on that attaches to my belt. Canon still sells the PowerShot (might be the 500 model now).

Our camcorder is relatively compact, I think it is a Sony Sureshot. I put the shoulder strap on and carry it on my neck or shoulder all day. Our older camcorder wasn't all that compact, but I still carried it around my neck all day.

Because my DW usually has her hands full with one of our now 3 DD, I'm the one who takes both snapshots and video. It's often a dilemma for me on whether to be taking pictures or video at any point in time, but there are natural situations for each. We returned from a 7 day trip to WDW two weeks ago and probably have 3 1/2 hours of video and 200 pictures.

M&M's Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:28 PM   #4
all4fun
DIS Veteran

Just wondering which Sony Cybershot you own? My brother has the Cybershot - Pro, which is large and heavy. If that's the one you have, then I don't blame you for wanting to get a smaller one. He brought his with him on our family trip a couple of years ago and wore it around his neck most of the time, but it was rather combersome. We also have a 2mp Sony Cybershot that's a regular size camera, and it takes nice pics, but it's rather slow loading between shots. We wanted to upgrade recently so we bought a Fuji Finepix F700. It's a little smaller & faster, and takes beautiful pictures.

This visit we're taking our ds1 for his first trip. We have borrowed a camcorder from a friend. It's very compact so I'm not anticipating having any trouble carrying both the Fuji and the camcorder around. If you're staying on-site I would say not to worry about it too much. You could just pack the bare essentials and then plan a mid-day break to go back to the hotel. Then you won't have to tote around a bunch of extra stuff. Also, try to keep everything in one small bag, so when you have to leave the stroller, you can just grab the bag and not worry that you left something valuable behind.

HTH!

Have a magical trip!

1995 Disneyland 1996 WDW off property 1997 WDW off property 1999 off property 2000 Boardwalk Villas, Disney Magic 7-day cruise 2001 Boardwalk Villas 2002 Boardwalk Villas 2004 May-off property, Sept. AKL, Boardwalk Villas 2005 January Boardwalk Villas, April VWL, September Disneyland, November Disneyland2006 April-Disneyland September-WDW,All Stars-Movies,& December-BWV2007 May BWV, October SSR, 2008 April Boardwalk Villas, December Boardwalk Villas, & cruise, 2009 March, Sept, Dec. Disneyland, 2010 October F&W Fest! 2012 November F&W Fest.
all4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 03:24 PM   #5
trish1970
Life is good at the Poly

all4fun: Yes, I do have the Cyber Shot Pro and while it takes great pictures with 5.0 MP it is very large!! Its funny that you mention the slow loading between shots because I have this trouble and it drives me crazy Wow... you are leaving very soon huh? I wish my counter looked like yours. Have a great trip!

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I will try to convince DH that we should get a smaller camera because my neck already hurts when I think about lugging this camera around.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:39 PM   #6
kelscross
DIS Veteran

Before our trip last year I bought a digital camera/camcorder all in one. It is really small fits in the palm of your hand and takes wonderful pictures and video. I got it at Best Buy.

This year I will be taking it also, but I need to get a larger memory card. I borrowed one from my ex husband that takes over 300 pictures but I had to give it back. Mine only takes 150 pictures.

I did find myself taking more pictures than video. Pretty much the only things I took video of were some of the outdoor shows and Fantasmic. So the kids could look back and watch. This year I'm not gonna video those shows because I want to see it without looking at the camera screen.

Off Property 1986/1987, ASMU 1996, CBR 2003, ASMO/Poly 9/04 (during Frances!), Pop/Poly 12/04, GF 7/05, Poly 12/05, Magic Eastern Cruise 9/30/06, BWV 12/06, Poly 9/07, WL 8/08
kelscross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:01 AM   #7
K & D Mickey
Mouseketeer

we have a really old Panasonic very big, almost looks like the one in the all star movies court yard.......... really very big... lucky we still use a stroller with our 3 yr old, have taken our cam corder last 3 yrs, we tape about 6 hrs every trip, easy to hook up, & wach what we taped that day, makes it nice to un wind the 3yr old, my wife & 3yr old waches our movies at least 1 time per week........our opinion the camcorder is the best over photoes not sure what i will do when this old camcorder wears out, do not like none of the new ones , much harder told still for long shows, i take our camcorder on just about every ride, then when re waching it almost makes you feel like your at disney all over again but this time did not cost a arm & a leg..... also take 4 disposable cameras
AS Movies 1-03
AS Movies 2-04
Pop Century 1-05
Port Orleans FQ - 1-06
K & D Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:11 AM   #8
K & D Mickey
Mouseketeer

forgot to add this sorry!!!!
you will want to have one bag as a carry on at the airport for all your film cameras, tell them this bag contains film there x-ray machines will wipe out your new & used film. also pac all battary pack in your checked bags makes it go much faster through the airports.
AS Movies 1-03
AS Movies 2-04
Pop Century 1-05
Port Orleans FQ - 1-06
K & D Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 06:52 AM   #9
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally posted by K & D Mickey
forgot to add this sorry!!!!
you will want to have one bag as a carry on at the airport for all your film cameras, tell them this bag contains film there x-ray machines will wipe out your new & used film. also pac all battary pack in your checked bags makes it go much faster through the airports.
The airport x-ray will only have an effect on film with speeds 800 and over. For all laymen with 200 and 400, it will be no problem. Still it's nicer to have on your carry-on so you can whip it out to start taking pictures right off and so it doesn't arrive MIA like the rest of your luggage could.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:58 AM   #10
lindaso
We are just like the Incredibles...well, without the super powers!!

I got a new video camera last year and it's tiny. It's a Sony DV-TR19 and I love it. We kept it in the diaper bag (a backpack style one) and I carried my regular 35 mm camera in a fanny pack. It was nice having both available. The kids love watching the video and I have my pictures for scrapbooking.

TRIPS TO PLAN
ALASKA on the Wonder July 2014

TRIPS TO REMEMBER
June 2013 -- Disney Dream;

June 2012 -- Disney Dream Double Dip; Feb. 2012 -- YC; Feb. 2011 -- Disney Dream Inaugural Voyages; Feb. 2010 -- YC; Jan. 2009 -- Disney Magic; April 2008 -- Poly ; Nov./Dec. 2007 -- YC ; Nov. 2006 -- Disney Magic, Our 1st cruise; Oct. 2005 -- AKL, no kids, 10th Anniversary ; Apr. 2005 -- Poly; Oct. 2003 -- Poly; Nov. 2001 -- CBR; May 2000 -- ASMu; May 1999 -- ASSp; Jan 1990 -- Offsite; Apr. 1984 -- Disneyland; Nov. 1978 -- Contemporary
lindaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:09 AM   #11
all4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by kelscross
Before our trip last year I bought a digital camera/camcorder all in one. It is really small fits in the palm of your hand and takes wonderful pictures and video. I got it at Best Buy.
One thing about taking pictures with your digital camcorder...the pics are fine for emailing or viewing on your pc, but not great for prints.

1995 Disneyland 1996 WDW off property 1997 WDW off property 1999 off property 2000 Boardwalk Villas, Disney Magic 7-day cruise 2001 Boardwalk Villas 2002 Boardwalk Villas 2004 May-off property, Sept. AKL, Boardwalk Villas 2005 January Boardwalk Villas, April VWL, September Disneyland, November Disneyland2006 April-Disneyland September-WDW,All Stars-Movies,& December-BWV2007 May BWV, October SSR, 2008 April Boardwalk Villas, December Boardwalk Villas, & cruise, 2009 March, Sept, Dec. Disneyland, 2010 October F&W Fest! 2012 November F&W Fest.
all4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:07 PM   #12
abeyst
DIS Veteran

We have a JVC digital camcorder (which takes pics) and Canon A60 that we take to the parks. I haven't tried to print the pics, but they look great on the computer/tv. My husband mans the camcorder and carries it around his neck/shoulder, and I keep the camera with me in my fanny pack. Our diaper bag has enough room to carry both cameras should it start to rain or go on a fast ride that they need to be secured.

We've been going at least once a year since 1999, and every year we take both. It seems like each year we miss taping/filming something or a shot doesn't look as good as we'd like or (my husband's famous for this) we have a shot zoomed so close on the kids we don't have any background in the pic to know where we're at or what we're doing. We will continue to take them each year when we go-I can't live without my memories to look back on and see how little the kids were! Plus, I want to show the grandkids in the future!

If you have "issues" with your current camera and how it takes pics, why not try and sell it on ebay? It will give you a little extra $$ toward a smaller camera and your husband won't kill you!

Enjoy your trip!

1980 Offsite ~ 1988 Offsite ~ 2000 February Carribean Beach ~ 2001 September Old Key West ~ 2003 February Beach Club Villas ~ 2003 October Beach Club Villas ~ 2005 January Old Key West ~ 2006 January Old Key West ~ 2006 August All Star Sports ~ 2007 December Beach Club Villas ~ 2008 July Saratoga Springs ~ 2009 January Disneyland Resort ~ 2009 July Animal Kingdom Villas
abeyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:57 PM   #13
brich
Earning My Ears

I bring my decent sized camcorder with me and carry it in a fanny-pack. This way I can keep it on me. Seldom gets in the way but sometimes I have to shift it to the side for lap retraints. I also have a small Kodak DX6440 which takes great digital images. I just have to have them both because some things are great as still shots but I just know the kids will love videos of themselves at the parks when they get older. I did some work for Kodak last summer and had a chance to try out a number of their consumer level digital cameras. I really enjoyed the DX6440. So after I left Kodak, I bought one. Is it the best one out there? Probably not but I really like it. I have worked in the photography industry for the better part of 15 years. Currently a wedding photographer, I don't pick up a "big" camera for any of my personal stuff. All my vacation and family pics are done with my trusty little Kodak. It's small and easy. This will be my 5 year olds 4th trip and my 2 year olds 2nd trip when we go down in December. Adding a camcorder and a small camera to the arsenal of "child supplies" shouldn't make things any more difficult. And think of the memories you'll be perserving. Hope this helps...
DCL Magic 01 / Fantasy 12 / Fantasy 13
brich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:29 PM   #14
msr709
DIS Veteran

I had the same dilema, this year our entire family is going to WDW, that's 8 adults and 3 kids (4, 5, 7) and its all their first time except me. I am the scrapbooker of the family so I've had my trusty Sony Cyber Shot for 2 years now and love it but I wanted a small video camera. I got the Canon XR80 and I'm just learning how to use it. It does not take pics, I didn't want that since I do print my photos for my scrapbook and I did my homework and found out that the camcorder's still pics are good for viewing and emailing but not for printing. Anyway, this will be my first time taking both but with so many of us going I'm sure I'll get a helping hand! I got a camcorder bag from Ebags that actually fits both. Can't wait to be there already!
CSR July 2009; CSR/Hard Rock Hotel Aug. 2008 (DSis, DNc, DNph & Me); DCL 7-day Western Caribbean Oct. 2006; POP Century July 2005 (Solo); RPR/ASMo (Whole Fa.)Aug/Sept 2004; Disneyland, the Original (DSIL & Me-HOJO Jul/Aug. 2003; CB/Royal Pacific Jul. 2002 (Solo); The Grosvenor and HRH (Mom & Me) Dec. 2001; ASMu and HRH (DNc&Me) Aug. 2001; ASMo (Mom&Me) Jan. 2000; HoJO (DD, DSis, DNc & Me) 1995

msr709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:06 AM   #15
trish1970
Life is good at the Poly

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

MSR709 - what kind of Sony Cyber Shot do you have? Like I mentioned before, we have the large 5mp Cyber Shot, but are thinking of purchasing the P72 for this trip. Are you happy with it?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: