DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2004, 08:47 AM   #16
WDWguru
aka tivogirl, keeper of the live WDW webcams at http://dislive.tivogirl.com

We figure out points are "worth" about $6 each, when you calculate cost + dues + interest. The difference for us comes to about $300 worth for the weekend stay. DCL is giving us $100 shipboard credit in each stateroom and the fourth day, so we're actually getting a little more "worth" out of it. IMHO it's the least they can do for the headache they've caused.
WDWguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:19 AM   #17
todsue99
Mouseketeer

I agree DVC is not at fault here. How are they supposed to know what DCL is doing. It sounds like DCL has done a good job of making up for it in WDWguru case. I think they could have done better, it sounds like they are happy. The whole thing still stinks, but at least they are trying. Let's face Disney is in business to make money just like everyone else and if they can get a company/person book a whole boat why shouldn't they. I know everyone thinks it isn't the Disney way, but it is and always has been. Granted it used to be better, but it still doesn't stop any of us from going. We love it at Disney always have and plan on going again and again and again. It is the same thing with the DVC not giving discounts on AP tickets, we still but them don't we. I would love for them to give us a discount and this is one of my biggest complaints, but will they make more or less? I would think they figure they will make less otherwise they would give us a discount. I think they would make more if they offered it on a renewal basis, but that is my opinion. Sorry for getting off the subject. I still think the whole thing stinks, but I am glad it worked out for you WDWguru.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2004, 10:12 AM   #18
rocketriter
"The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase." - Yogi Berra

Quote:
My point is that DCL and not DVC should be on the hook for the change.
Good point. And DCL needs to make good, even if it means adding their own money to the members' points to keep from trashing their vacation--or adding on a nice cash compensation for those who can prove that their vacation with another Disney entity has been trashed.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:31 AM   #19
Doctor P
Chocolate covered ginger doubles your pleasure
Lifetime Blackhawks fan!

No argument here, rockeriter!

Doctor P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:03 AM   #20
ihenrich
Earning My Ears

It would be interesting to know how full the cruise was before this company can along and booked the whole thing.
10/02 OKW & AKL
07/02 Grand Californian
10/01 Disney Institute (tree house)
06/00 Poly Concierge
ihenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 06:40 PM   #21
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by jaysue
WDWguru, that is really unfortunate

Disney once again shows it's true colours - I feel that if someone was CEO who actually cared about his/her business and reputation they would not have allowed this type of event to occur.

Way to Go Disney
I agree completely, this is seems to be the way Eisner thinks lately. Money at any cost.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:25 PM   #22
Nick@ VB+OKW
Registered

A friend of mine has recieved this response below from a representitve from the DCL, in regards to the canceled cruise.

I was sorry to hear that you were feeling like you had lost some of the magic you felt for Disney Cruise Line. We truly want all of our guests to be satisfied with every aspect of our operation.

While it is true that the October 28, 2004 Disney Wonder 3-night sailing has been chartered, I can assure you that we are working very closely with each family scheduled on that voyage to make appropriate alternate accommodations. We know this is disappointing and an inconvenience to those who may have booked early, and are ready to handle each situation to the best of our ability.

You may be interested to know that as soon as we learned of this potential charter, we immediately closed the sailing to any further bookings. We did this to minimize any further guest disappoint.
Nick@ VB+OKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:48 PM   #23
jaysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You may be interested to know that as soon as we learned of this potential charter, we immediately closed the sailing to any further bookings. We did this to minimize any further guest disappoint.
I love this part as if it was some bad boy in some dark corner of DCL that did the charter and the "we" did not know....

too funny

jaysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:55 PM   #24
MarkRG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I actually read this as at the point said company expressed interest in chartering the entire ship they closed bookings, which would have been as soon as possible.

MonorailGreen.info
Since I stopped counting how many times a long time ago,
here's the first time I went to:
WDW 1976 - DCL 1999 - DLR 1999 - DVC 2000
MarkRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:14 PM   #25
Johnnie Fedora
My cup is not 1/2 full or 1/2 empty, it's just 50%

Quote:
i.e. We jumped on an opportunity to make a couple of thousand more $$$. To bad-so sad for you......

Quote:
I can assure you that we are working very closely with each family scheduled on that voyage to make appropriate alternate accommodations.
i.e. We will be working very close with you to ensure that your alternate plans will net us more $$$ than your original plans.

Legendary Disney Hospitality.....
Old 04-22-2004, 11:24 PM   #26
goofy4dvc

DIS Veteran

In all fairness to those who had already booked, perhaps DCL should have told the company that wanted to charter the entire cruise that they could have the first available time beyond the last date they had taken reservations. This would have been easy, as they only book so far in advance anyway.

As far as closing the sailing to any further bookings, well, duh, what else would they do? Keep taking bookings from the public after negotiations began for a private charter?

(Actually I just needed to post something so I could see my timer and verify that we leave in 8 days for WDW!!! YEAH!!)

I think I'm just upset because of the extra magic hours that have been announced at WDW beginning on May 9 --- the day we leave WDW to come home!!! Oh, well, maybe it will be a success and they will continue it and we can take advantage of it on our next trip.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:37 AM   #27
TnRobin
My body may be back in Nashville, but my mind is still on vacation.
Bob Villa, build me a bathroom in the attic!

DISboards Moderator

Keep in mind this is exactly what they did to the people who had booked with cash for the cruise that ultimately became the DVC Member's Cruise. So this same thing was done in the past to accomadate DVC.

TnRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:42 AM   #28
lenshanem

DIS Veteran / DVC Member

I hope to read they discounted these people's cruises that have to be rebooked. Has anyoen heard?
Old 04-23-2004, 10:11 AM   #29
KNWVIKING
Registered

***"As far as closing the sailing to any further bookings, well, duh, what else would they do? Keep taking bookings from the public after negotiations began for a private charter?"***

You're missing the point they are trying to make. When charter interest was expressed, they stopped taking bookings. DCL was taking a chance by doing this. What would have happened had negotiations broken down & the customer walked away ? Disney potentially would have had difficulty filling the cruise.

While we all know Disney puts escape clauses in all their contracts, I feel badly for those that are truely getting screwed. But read the "Disney magic at HHI" thread. Maybe it's cash cows like this chartered cruise that allow these magical moments to occur thousands of times each year.

I know,I know.... wait till something like this happens to me and see if I still feel the same way. Sorry, but it hasn't so I truely can't say. I just disagree with the arguement that this is just a cold hearted, greedy money grab by DCL & Disney.
KNWVIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:35 AM   #30
todsue99
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I know,I know.... wait till something like this happens to me and see if I still feel the same way. Sorry, but it hasn't so I truely can't say. I just disagree with the arguement that this is just a cold hearted, greedy money grab by DCL & Disney.
Of course it is all about money. Unless it was Roy or Mr. Eisner that wanted the cruise. I don't know I guess, but I have to believe it is about Money. Maybe they are doing it for charity and they can write it off. Which would be great for the people on the cruise, but in DCL's case it is still about money. JUst my opinion anyway. Maybe they are planning on making that the DVC cruise and haven't told anyone yet. Maybe they were having a hard time selling that cruise and offered it to their employees. Who knows. All I know is it stinks for the people who were planning on going and I hope it doesn't happen to often.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: