Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #2551
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Grin, I must get this updated FAQ Thread for POFQ finished before someone explodes...

Andre
Andre- we just appreciate what you do so don't worry, no one will explode
Old 10-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #2552
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
Andre- we just appreciate what you do so don't worry, no one will explode
OK, hopefully any explosions can now be averted.

I've just posted a new updated POFQ FAQ Thread for 2008, hopefully to gradually replace this one. Please see: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1975035

Many thanks to Traci (IloveDMB) for the original thread.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #2553
Mickey's Sister
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpizzuro123 View Post
I have never heard Bob play at POR but if you are staying at POFQ give Elliot Dyson a try. He plays in the ScatCat Lounge which is in the lobby of the POFQ. He plays Wednesdays through Saturdays from 9:00 to midnight and is really great.

This coming November we are going to try to get to see both Elliot and Bob.

Linda
Does Elliot Dyson play jazz? If so, is the ScatCat 'kid' friendly like the River Roost? The reason I ask, my 14 year old son is an avid jazz musician & I know he would seriously love hearing some jazz on our trip.

I'm a HUGE Bob Jackson fan - I wouldn't miss his show! You'll love his show - I've sent so many friends to see him & they've all enjoyed him.

Can you tell me if they 'pipe-in' music along the walkways & public areas at POFQ? And if so, is it jazz?

I asked this on another POFQ thread, but haven't received any replies.

Thanks!

"It's time to remember the magic!"

11/2000 - Chez Mickey; 4 - 5/2002 FW Cabins; 11/2003 Off-site; 11-12/2005 ASMU; 6/2009 Doubletree Suites DTD for SWW! ...but ALWAYS there in spirit!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #2554
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey's Sister View Post
Does Elliot Dyson play jazz? If so, is the ScatCat 'kid' friendly like the River Roost? The reason I ask, my 14 year old son is an avid jazz musician & I know he would seriously love hearing some jazz on our trip.

I'm a HUGE Bob Jackson fan - I wouldn't miss his show! You'll love his show - I've sent so many friends to see him & they've all enjoyed him.

Can you tell me if they 'pipe-in' music along the walkways & public areas at POFQ? And if so, is it jazz?

I asked this on another POFQ thread, but haven't received any replies.

Thanks!
If it is like it was when we were there 18 months ago I would have no problem taking a child or a teenager to the Scat Cat lounge. There was a bar but it was not in the same little vicinity of the lounge. It seemed as though it was an area to itself. I saw several families with kids at tables enjoying the music. I will be honest, I have no idea if the music was jazz. It was wonderful and "jazzy" to me but I can't tell you if it was really jazz. I have no doubt that your son will appreciate the quality of the musician, he was wonderful.

There was music piped to the walkways. I loved the music when I was walking to the food court for coffee in the mornings. The sidewalks were still damp from cleaning, The plantings seemed to carry some heavenly smell, the fountain quietly bubbling and soft music in the air.

Gosh I can't wait until I go back!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #2555
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Quote:
If it is like it was when we were there 18 months ago I would have no problem taking a child or a teenager to the Scat Cat lounge. There was a bar but it was not in the same little vicinity of the lounge. It seemed as though it was an area to itself. I saw several families with kids at tables enjoying the music. I will be honest, I have no idea if the music was jazz. It was wonderful and "jazzy" to me but I can't tell you if it was really jazz. I have no doubt that your son will appreciate the quality of the musician, he was wonderful.

There was music piped to the walkways. I loved the music when I was walking to the food court for coffee in the mornings. The sidewalks were still damp from cleaning, The plantings seemed to carry some heavenly smell, the fountain quietly bubbling and soft music in the air.

Nan, you have such a way with words. I am SO FREAKIN EXCITED!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #2556
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
Nan, you have such a way with words. I am SO FREAKIN EXCITED!!!!!!!
Kat- this is the closest I will get to NoLa for a long time so I am excited too. There are benefits to being an early riser and the morning ambiance of this resort is one them
Old 10-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #2557
Mickey's Sister
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thank you so much for the input! You certainly make it sound lovely. I'm so torn, I don't know what to do! The room decor looks a bit warmer/cozier to me than POR, but I'm only going by photos. But I seriously love those mansions! I'll make up my mind eventually, LOL. Thanks again!

"It's time to remember the magic!"

11/2000 - Chez Mickey; 4 - 5/2002 FW Cabins; 11/2003 Off-site; 11-12/2005 ASMU; 6/2009 Doubletree Suites DTD for SWW! ...but ALWAYS there in spirit!
Old 10-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #2558
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Jessica, I have not been to POR so I have no way to compare. I can say that some say the pool is geared for younger kids so you may want to consider that. POR also has a TS restaurant onsite, it that important to you? POFQ is small and compact, for me this was the kicker. I stayed at CBR and had a preferred room so we were close to Old Port Royal but it still seemed very large to me after staying at POFQ.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #2559
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

I won't be much help to you since I loved both. It is such a short walk from one to the other that you really can't go wrong with whichever resort you choose. POR has the beautiful landscaping, the boat/bike rentals, and the quiet pools. POFQ is so small and cozy with such a nice relaxing theme. The rooms at POFQ are so sunny looking and cheerful, and the theming and colors in the AB section at POR are so warm and welcoming.

I would say go with your gut, and you will still get to experiance the best that both have to offer.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #2560
Candid
Mouseketeer

Quote:

OMG Nancy, you've almost got me in tears! Your description is SO accurate my heart literally is aching to go back...

Last edited by Candid; 10-08-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #2561
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candid View Post
OMG Nancy, you've almost got me in tears! Your description is SO accurate my heart literally is aching to go back...
I loved it. We stayed at the Poly after I took my DGD to POFQ and I can honestly say that I liked POFQ better. My DGD did as well. I was with my Sis IL, my 20 YO niece and my little DGD, all who slept later than I did. I loved the early morning walk to the food court for my coffee. We go back in December and I cannot wait, Kady is looking forward to the pool and I am looking forward to everything.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #2562
Dr_Finkelstein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracipierce View Post
Hi Di,
Oh how awful to have found out 3 days before the holiday and to lose the free dining too I just don't know how I would have coped with that, I was upset enough and I had only just booked for next year.

I thought POFQ looked much more intimate too, which is why when I went to re-book I chose this resort. I could have got OKW (which is what we had originally booked) for not much more, but for some reason, POFQ looked so much nicer, I hope this is the case when we get there.
Still haven't heard anything about getting my money back, I know they must be busy with all the people who were let down by TCD, but its been 3 weeks already, I thought I might have heard something by now. I still haven't received my booking paperwork from Disney yet either for the new holiday,, is everyone on a go slow lately

Its true what you said about Florida prices going up, I got my holiday for next year for £3700, but checked it out again a few days later and it had gone up by £300. Checked it out 2 weeks later and it had gone up by £800
I'm so glad that I re-booked the same day that I heard about TCD!

Hope you have a great time, please post and let us know how POFQ was when you get back
Hi Traci,
It's good to know its not just us that hasn't heard back from ATOL yet! I'm going to phone them tomorrow though and DH work colleague got her money back today (she had booked with Seguro).
I will definately let you know how POFQ is when we get back - I can't wait to go now!
The way the Florida prices have gone up is shocking!! They have to watch though, if they put them up too much no-one will be able to go!

Di x

1999 offsite, 2004 offsite, 2006 POP, 2008 POFQ, 2010 WL & OKW
Old 10-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #2563
kid-at-heart
DIS Veteran

Oh my, I cannot believe how lucky I am, not only am I getting to spend ten wonderful days at POFQ in Dec but I found out yesterday I have to attend a four day conference in NEW ORLEANS the week before Mardi Gras. And my hotel is on the parade route. Somebody is smiling on me. :

Old 10-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #2564
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid-at-heart View Post
Oh my, I cannot believe how lucky I am, not only am I getting to spend ten wonderful days at POFQ in Dec but I found out yesterday I have to attend a four day conference in NEW ORLEANS the week before Mardi Gras. And my hotel is on the parade route. Somebody is smiling on me. :
I hope you have a wonderful time in our city!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #2565
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
OK, hopefully any explosions can now be averted.

I've just posted a new updated POFQ FAQ Thread for 2008, hopefully to gradually replace this one. Please see: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1975035

Many thanks to Traci (IloveDMB) for the original thread.

Andre
Great Job.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: