Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2004, 02:12 PM   #1
nimkip
Earning My Ears

Question Old Key West vs. Boardwalk Villas?

Hi,

This summer I'm taking a week long trip with my girlfriend and 9 other friends to Disney World. Since the only two resorts open as of now with Grand Villas are Old Key West, and the Boardwalk Villas, we've pretty much narrowed it down to those two.

I've stayed a few times at Old Key West, once in a Grand Villa years ago. It's always been very nice there, no complaints, except perhaps the transportation. However I've never even been to the boardwalk, but from what I gather (pictures and accounts) the rooms arn't quite as nice, or roomy, but the location and recreation are great.

So I suppose my question is firstly, is that true about the room quality? Secondly, if it is, does the location and recreation of the Boardwalk make up for that? Which is the better overall stay, and lastly, which would be considered the more romantic of the two?

Thanks very much for your time.

P.S. Does the boardwalk have a better transportation system?
nimkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 03:15 PM   #2
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Have you called about availability? CRO/WDTC have very limited availability with these, since they are mostly used by members. I'd take the BoardWalk for the views, the location, and the theme.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2004, 03:48 PM   #3
BWVDee
Registered

Both resorts have excellent room quality. The DVC villas are among the very top accomendations available on WDW property.
All DVC villas have basically the same layout as far as lr, master bedroom, kitchen, 2nd br or studio portion, etc and all have basically the same furnishings and appliances. The exception to this is the bedding in a studio and a full size w/d in 1 br at OKW vs the other DVC resorts.
The size difference in the DVC villas is basically in the 1 Br at OKW vs the 1 br at BWV, BCV & VWL. The OKW 1 br is substanially larger than the others, much of this size difference is in the full dining table and a larger kitchen. The studios and the GVs are basically the same size at both resorts.
The GV at both BWV and OKW are truly luxorious accomendations, with the same excellent room quality.
The main difference between a GV at BWV and OKW is the location of the resort. BWV is located within walking distance of 2 parks, numerous restaurants, park nighttime shows, etc. The Epcot resort area is without a doubt, a super convenient location and a very much desired location on property. BWV offers full deluxe amenities like room service and valet parking, etc. BWV is like staying in a deluxe apt in a major city with many things to see and do right outside your door or a short stroll away.
OKW is a laid back and quiet, condo atmosphere. OKW requires either a bus or car transportation to reach parks, a variety of restaurants, etc. They offer limited resort guest amenities. OKW is very convenient for golf course and DD access.
It all depends what appeals to you and what you desire on vacation. I personally love BWV and the whole Epcot resort area. I love the convenience and ease to parks, restaurants, Illuminations etc and want to be in the midst of things on vacation. YMMV.
Also, the entire Crescent Lake/WS/Epcot resort area is very romantic, especially at night with the lights twinkling off the lake and Spaceship Earth in the background as you walk on the boardwalk or go sit on a swing on the YC/BC beach--it is beautiful!
The price for the GVs also vary quite a bit between the 2 resorts. BWV GV ranges in price according to the time of year from: $1,320.00 - $1,915.00 per night. OKW GV ranges from: $1,040.00 - $1,460.00 per night. Also at certain times of the year the GVs at both resorts are very hard to get especially during early Dec. OKW has more than twice as many GVs as BWV.
Good luck and have a great trip!
BWVDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 04:22 PM   #4
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

I would also recommend checking on availablity...as most times they are completely booked by members 11 months out....

That being said I'm a Boardwalk fan and would choose that over OKW...

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 04:52 PM   #5
GrimGhost
Mouseketeer

To second what has already been said. Old Key West is somewhat laid-back. Boardwalk is in the heart of alot of Disney activity--between two parks, there is no better location if that is what you want. I can't think of anything better than to take a shortwalk from my room and watch the Illuminations fireworks display! Either way, have a great time!
Old 03-06-2004, 06:29 PM   #6
MAGICinMYHEART
WL Vet
Florida people eat Gators....THE CIRCLE OF LIFE.
I love to laugh!

I love the BoardWalk Villas and for your group it sound like it would be the best location for your party.
MAGICinMYHEART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 07:01 PM   #7
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

OKW rooms are larger in every category, but the rooms at each resort are very nice:
OKW
Stu 390 1 BR 1005 2 BR 1410 GV 2375

BW
Stu 359 1 BR 712 2 BR 1071 GV 2142

The most romantic also depends on what you are looking for. BWV is more city, apartment style and OKW is more beach, condo style. If you want night life and more busy, I'd probably choose BW. If your group wants more privacy and to spend more time together in a casual, homey atmosphere, I'd suggest OKW.

Transportation for BW is walking or boat to Epcot and the Studio. And buses (which would be similar to OKW) for the other parks.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #8
BWVDee
Registered

It is interesting to see how the size dimensions of the DVC villas can vary???
According to Deb Willis' site, the size dimensions for the BWV's are excatly the same as what is posted above:
BWV
Studio: 359
1 BR: 712
2 BR: 1,071
GV: 2,142

However the size dimensions for OKW villas do differ from what was posted above:
OKW
Studios: 376 vs 390
1 BR: 1,016 vs 1,005
2 BR: 1,322 vs 1,410
GV: 2,265 vs 2,375
BWVDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 06:38 PM   #9
tomi

Welcomed Guest

I would take the Boardwalk GV over the old Key West GV any day! However, it is very unlikely that you will be able to get one. There are only 7 Gv's at the Boardwalk and they are almost always booked at 11 months out by members But you never know - it is worth a phone call. Good Luck.
tomi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: