Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2004, 05:36 PM   #1
days-going-so-slow!!
Mouseketeer

underwater cameras

Can anyone who has used an underwater camera at Castaway Cay PLEASE tell me which is best. I am buying the film this weekend and I want to make sure we get great underwater pictures while snorkling etc. Thanks!!!! Kelley

days-going-so-slow!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 05:44 PM   #2
minniemouse1
Member of the Grand Slam Club!

We used a Kodack max and the pictures turned out well. The quality of the pictures depends on how close you are to your subject and also if it is a sunny day. Our best pictures were on a day when there wasn't a cloud in the sky and we weren't too deep in the water. WE have also used fuji before and had success but they are a little pickier with need for more sunlight IMO. Good luck and have fun!
Wonder 2001 4 Day
Magic 2003 7 Day Western
Magic 2005 7 Day Eastern
Magic 2007 7 Day Eastern
Dream 2011 4 Day
Fantasy 2014 7 Day
Magic 2015 7 Day Mediterranean
DH me DD13 DD12 DD9 DS5
minniemouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2004, 05:47 PM   #3
karebear1
BL II - Purple Team
Always misses the big numbers
The pixie dust in the air is totally confusing, but the TF doesn't think you are an airhead! :)

I was just gonna ask the same question. May I add one more? Where is the best place to buy these? Is there an online site that would have the best price?
'92 offsite, '95 Double Tree; '97 Boardwalk; '98 Holiday Inn; '99 DXL; '01 WL, CS; '03 OKW, Swan; '04 WL, BCV, BWV; Jan. '05- WDW 1/2 Marathon- BCV's, 7-Day DCL Western on the Magic; Nov. '05- BWV's for an all girl trip;December '06- BCV, WL & AKL- Mom and Son trip; September '07- YC, AKV & GF; September '08- BCV; January '09 AKL & BCV SIL Getaway, February '09 CSR & BWV DisBoutique Meet; GF & BCV November '09, 30th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY TRIP March '10, Family Reunion CiCi and Henry's 1st trip to WDW at BCV November '10, Cici and Henry's 1st Halloween at WDW BCV October '11 Kate and Mom at BCV November 2012

karebear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 05:51 PM   #4
DMS_cruisers04
S@H DAD

minnie's right, the disposables work best on sunny days and you get the best colors with closer shots.

karebear1 - Sam's, Walmart, Target, Meijer, K-Mart. Not sure about online. The last one we got for DD to use was from Walmart.
Just a thought, we've got a Canon 35mm Underwater camera also. And the pictures don't turn out any better if the conditions aren't right.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:52 PM   #5
prymsu

DIS Veteran

I have always had good luck with the Fuji disposable underwater cameras, and you can get those at walmart for around 7.50 for 27 exposure.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:03 PM   #6
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Many months ago there was a thread on this subject. Several people had purchased underwater cameras that were NOT disposable and had a flash. They even posted some of the pic's and they were fantastic!! I have given up on trying to take pic's underwater - none have come out very good. I have used Fuji and Kodak and the results are similar. I will take one of these cameras on our next cruise for pictures while at the beach and playing in the water - because I don't want to hurt my "real" camera.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 06:33 PM   #7
balbrec
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up underwater cameras

something to consider.kodak film emphasizes greens and blues
while fuji tends to emphasize the reds . so if your goingto do underwater the pictures will be more true to life with kodak. on the other hand if your are shooting fall foliage then fuji is better

balbrec
balbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 06:56 PM   #8
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Balbrec, I thought it was just the opposite? Fuji for the blues and greens? Where can we check for sure?
Old 02-20-2004, 07:09 PM   #9
karebear1
BL II - Purple Team
Always misses the big numbers
The pixie dust in the air is totally confusing, but the TF doesn't think you are an airhead! :)

I just read it on a search I did- it is Fuji for greens and blues.
'92 offsite, '95 Double Tree; '97 Boardwalk; '98 Holiday Inn; '99 DXL; '01 WL, CS; '03 OKW, Swan; '04 WL, BCV, BWV; Jan. '05- WDW 1/2 Marathon- BCV's, 7-Day DCL Western on the Magic; Nov. '05- BWV's for an all girl trip;December '06- BCV, WL & AKL- Mom and Son trip; September '07- YC, AKV & GF; September '08- BCV; January '09 AKL & BCV SIL Getaway, February '09 CSR & BWV DisBoutique Meet; GF & BCV November '09, 30th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY TRIP March '10, Family Reunion CiCi and Henry's 1st trip to WDW at BCV November '10, Cici and Henry's 1st Halloween at WDW BCV October '11 Kate and Mom at BCV November 2012

karebear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 07:31 PM   #10
dzneprincess
This page intentionally left blank

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...photo&n=507846

Amazon has the reusable underwater camera for sale today for their Friday sale. $14.99 reg $39.99
Old 02-20-2004, 08:06 PM   #11
prymsu

DIS Veteran

i have to say, i have used both kodak and fugi, and i won't go back to kodak again. The colors of blue and green are much better with the fugi cameras, and i have snorkeled all over and had very good results. Just my two cents...
Old 02-20-2004, 08:08 PM   #12
slabeaume
Mouseketeer

You don't have to go down too far before color disappears in water (about 5-10 feet). If you have an underwater camera with a flash, the flash will bring back the color. If you use the disposable cameras, shallow pictures will turn out great in clear water. I've used both and only notice a difference below about 5 feet.

Sue L
slabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 08:13 PM   #13
NYDisneyMom
I need to have a vacation planned at all times... :)

amazon camera..

Quote:
Originally posted by dzneprincess
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...photo&n=507846

Amazon has the reusable underwater camera for sale today for their Friday sale. $14.99 reg $39.99
I just checked that out and it looked very cool for $14.99, but it's a one time use camera!

5/95 - CBR
11/98 - OKW
9/99 - OKW
11/00 - OKW
9/01 - OKW
10/02 - AKL
9/03 BWV
5/15/04 - Eastern Magic Cruise
8/04 - San Diego Here We Come!
10/04 - POFQ for MNSSHP!!
01/21/05 - NCL "Exotic Caribbean" 10 day cruise
02/18/06 - NCL Eastern Caribbean 7 day cruise
03/06 - Vegas Girls Weekend!!
08/06 - Finally Back to Disney!! CSR & AKL
NYDisneyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 08:30 PM   #14
dzneprincess
This page intentionally left blank

Is it? I thought it was reusable, and that it just came preloaded with 35mm film? Darn
Old 02-20-2004, 08:32 PM   #15
mobetsy
I tend to be just a teeny bit obsessive about planning in every way
It is so neat to see all our names together

We have the flash one from Target that is re-useable...I think it was $20 including a roll of film. I was happy with the results we got from it on vacation last summer, although we didn't put it to any great tests; however, the underwater pics were clear and the flash seemed to add a little illumination. Besides underwater use, the advantage is that for relatively few $, you have a camera that is protected from splashes and sand around water, and can almost certainly be used more times than the comparable cost in disposables (don't the underwater ones run about $10?). We are keeping ours in a ziploc bag, because if the plastic case gets scratched in front of the lens, that blurring will always show up on your photos. For casual photographers on a wet vacation, this seems like a good choice!
mobetsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: