DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2004, 12:26 PM   #1
MinnesotaChill
Mouseketeer

OKW & BWV - why such point difference in Grand Villas?

We are considering a Grand Villa in two years for both sets of grandparents. Not having seen a Grand Villa at either location, can anyone tell me why there is over 100 pt difference for a week in Jan?
MinnesotaChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
GAIL HAYDEN
DVC Member since '92

Re: OKW & BWV - why such point difference in Grand Villas?

Quote:
Originally posted by MinnesotaChill
We are considering a Grand Villa in two years for both sets of grandparents. Not having seen a Grand Villa at either location, can anyone tell me why there is over 100 pt difference for a week in Jan?
Location, location, location. Then there is the points allocation thing.
GAIL HAYDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2004, 12:35 PM   #3
HookdonWDW
Yankee Girl in a Southern Belle World
Perfect feet- just my torch to carry

I think that they never imagined how popular the GVs would be when they opened OKW. But they were stuck with the point values because of allocation. Then they built BWVs, and decided that they weren't going to do that again. I think they went a little overboard setting the price at BWVs (but then again, I'm cheap, and they don't seem to be hurting for takers ). They seem to be trying to settle for a happy medium at SSR. I really wish that they had added a couple of GVs to VWL and BCVs.

HookdonWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:49 PM   #4
rocketriter
"The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase." - Yogi Berra

The difference is NOT size. GVs at OKW are very spacious!
Old 02-10-2004, 01:10 PM   #5
SleepyatDVC
The Untagged
... and I wasn't wearing any pants!!!!

They probably also have to take into account supply and demand. There are 8 (?) BWV GVs versus 27 (?) OKW GVs.

If they made the GV at BWV any cheaper, it would probably be even more impossible to get. As it is, I think they are very hard to reserve - have to call day by day.

Sep 1999 Marriott Cypress Harbor---May 2000 Liki Tiki---Nov 2001 BC---Nov/Dec 2001 OKW---March 2002 VWL---Sep 2002 BWV & BCV---Dec 2002 CR---Mar 2003 St. Thomas ---Jun 2003 VWL---October 2003 Marriott Grand Vista & HAL Cruise & Miami ---Jan 2004 OKW GV---Jun 2004 CCL Victory Canada ---Apr/May 2005 BWV & Marriott Cypress Harbor---Oct 2005 BWV---Feb 2006 OKW---Apr 2006 Miami ---August 2006 BWV---Feb 2007 VWL --Apr 2007 NCL Dawn 11 night S Caribbean Cruise --- Aug 2007 BWV/AKV --- Oct 2007 NCL Crown Bermuda --- Apr 2008 BWV/AKV --- Aug 2008 BWV/Marriott Cypress Harbor --- Feb 2009 Miami --- Apr 2009 NCL Pearl ---Aug 2009 CSR, BLT & DCL Magic --- Feb 2010 BWV --- July 2011 AKV ---June/July 2012 Italy/Turkey/Greece Celebrity Equinox --- Feb 2013 BWV --- Aug 2013 AKL --- Dec 2013 BWV/OKW

SleepyatDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:16 PM   #6
childsplay
DIS Veteran

My answer to this question has always been three-fold,
1. location is certainly a factor
2. DVC's "inexperience" when creating the OKW point structure, this was all brand new and they "guessed" the best they could at what the market would bear, I would argue they guessed low
3. Quantity...there are fewer GV available at BW

I have never stayed in a BW GV (hope to some day) but I can tell you from experience that the OKW ones are worth every point:D
childsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:22 PM   #7
pumpkinboy

The Tag Fairy has found you...needer, needer, needer...

Quote:
Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
Location, location, location. Then there is the points allocation thing.

Well said, Gail.

100 points a night for a sweeping view of the Boardwalk is a reasonable trade-off IMHO. Also the OKW GVs are not practical for my family given that we have a wheelchair-bound 6 yr old DS (I wish we could as I'd love the extra space).
Did you also notice that the differential between weekend nights and weeknights is lower for the GV class? Pretty neat. If you aim to impress, it's hard to beat the BW view; if being at WDW and being together is the main goal, the OKW GVs might be a points-efficient way to go. Sounds like fun either way.
BCV 10/05, 11/06, 9/08, 4/12; BWV 11/04, 4/05, 10/05, 2/06, 11/06, 2/07, 2/08, 2/09, 8/10, 2/11, 4/12 and happily ever after...
Upcoming: Boys' weekend 12/1-3 1st time in a Value)
Upcoming: February vacation at Vero Beach & BWV
pumpkinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:36 PM   #8
zulaya
Certified Disney Addict & Kitchen Magician
Thinks it's fun to look at people's new stuff
You can never have enough duct tape!

It was a points allocation thing as everyone else has alluded to. They totally guessed with OKW, it being the first DVC.

There are also many more GVs at OKW. I think there are 6 or 8 at BWV and something like 26 or 27 at OKW (I am sure Nick or Doc will be around shortly with the real numbers if I am wrong.)

BWV really does have that location and that sweeping view to compete with the other GVs. The other differences is that the GVs at BWV are all one level so everything probably seems a lot bigger than the ones at OKW, which are all 2 story.

Every review I have ever seen about the BWV GVs everyone has been blown away by the layout and the view. It all comes down to is it that important to you to spend the points on it, even in the low points month of January? Because you can always get a combination of Studio/1BR/2BR to your party.

Personally, I'd use the points, even if it means borrowing. How many times are you going to get both sets of grandparents with the kids at the age where they truly believe in the magic? I envy you if you have grandparents who are ready to go at the drop of a hat. My inlaws are like that, but my parents are of the misconception that if you been there, you've done it. This December is the first time my parents will come with us and my kids will both be 8.

Best of luck in your decision. We should get together for some coffee (or some Oh My Chai ) sometime!

http://www.disneysavvy.com

Offsite ~ 12/94, 12/2000
ASSp 05/01
AKL/Concierge/AKV-Kidani 09/01, 10/05, 6/09,3/12
Polynesian 12/02
BCV 6/03, 11/03, 12/04,10/05, 12/06, 6/07, 12/07, 4/08, 10/08, 12/09, 11/10,12/10, 5/11, 6/11,3/12,3/13,5/14
POR/OKW - Pampered Chef trip 06/05
DCL 10/08
CSR 6/10
POFQ 10/13
Next: Dec 2014 BCV
zulaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:56 PM   #9
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

I disagree that points are determined by location. When OKW points were allocated BWV was not even thought of yet. Therefore, it has nothing to do with points for OKW. Instead, it was assumed that Disney Vacation Club (the original name of OKW) would be a more typical timeshare in usage. When they discovered folks didn't stay at Disney in the same way they stayed at other timeshares, they decided that perhaps spending all that SPACE on 3 bedroom units was not a good use of facilities. Then after building VWL and BCV without GVs, they learned that perhaps they didn't have enough, so they decided to add them back into the play for SSR. They had also done several surveys, and the number of points needed for a BWV GV was a BIG issue, so they assured folks that the new resort would have more affordable points for GVs. SSR still costs Far more points for a GV than OKW, but not as many as BWV.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:02 PM   #10
zulaya
Certified Disney Addict & Kitchen Magician
Thinks it's fun to look at people's new stuff
You can never have enough duct tape!

I know I didn't mean to imply that location was the reason BWV was more. It's like you said they thought OKW would be more like a typical timeshare in usage and didn't know that it was such a good thing.

When I said points allocation, I meant that OKW was built with a certain points allocation and BWV was built with a different points allocation. We can't change it since that was what was offered.

The difference was probably DVC's attempt and managing supply and demand.

I really do wish they had made GVs at all of the resorts at WDW. That would have been some great flexibility as well as a fun attempt to stay at every GV at the world!

http://www.disneysavvy.com

Offsite ~ 12/94, 12/2000
ASSp 05/01
AKL/Concierge/AKV-Kidani 09/01, 10/05, 6/09,3/12
Polynesian 12/02
BCV 6/03, 11/03, 12/04,10/05, 12/06, 6/07, 12/07, 4/08, 10/08, 12/09, 11/10,12/10, 5/11, 6/11,3/12,3/13,5/14
POR/OKW - Pampered Chef trip 06/05
DCL 10/08
CSR 6/10
POFQ 10/13
Next: Dec 2014 BCV
zulaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:05 PM   #11
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Quote:
I really do wish they had made GVs at all of the resorts at WDW. That would have been some great flexibility as well as a fun attempt to stay at every GV at the world!
I think that is why they decided to add them back into SSR. I feel sorry for the VWL and BCV owners, because they have no way to stay in a GV at their home resorts.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:39 PM   #12
y2khardtop
Mouseketeer

I agree that it is simply DEMAND, not inexperience, that has led to the difference. OKW points charts changed regularly over teh first several years before stabilizing, and I think they could have easily raised the points on the GV's if they were selling out of them quickly. OKW GV's are actually supposed to be bigger than the one's at BWV, to boot!

During a recent trip, the BWV open house folks pointed out that you can get 2 2-bedrooms cheaper (points) than a single GV, and actually get more sleeping room. Of course, you loose the large, open den.

We are planning a trip in a GV Nov 2005. I plan on staying at OKW, but if BW becomes available during my booking time (I'm a OKW member), I may upgraded. I love OKW, but there really is so much more to do at BW.

Dave
1998-OKW Grand Villa
1999-Boardwalk Villa
2001-Wilderness Lodge Villa
2002-Grand Floridian&Beach Club
2004 Jan-Beach Club (found out we were having Eli)
May 05 BWV (Eli's first trip)
Nov 05 BCV:2 2-beds (Eli's 2nd trip,pregnant w/Claire)
Jan 07 Boarwalk: Eli's 3rd Trip, Baby Claires First
Jan 08 Week at the BW Eli's 4th trip, Claires 2nd
Jan 2010, Boardwalk
Jan 2011, Back to the Boardwalk (our favorite)
2012 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean 7 night
Jan 2013 Bay Lake Tower
Jan 2014 Boardwalk
y2khardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:31 PM   #13
PamOKW
The two most important items for keeping warm are a hat and gloves
I just went into the twilight zone with this thread
Prefers original Reeses Peanut Butter Cups

Quote:
Originally posted by y2khardtop
OKW points charts changed regularly over teh first several years before stabilizing, and I think they could have easily raised the points on the GV's if they were selling out of them quickly.
I only recall one adjustment of points at OKW. They could not have raised the points on the GV's without lowering points somewhere else.

I'm not sure what the formula is, but the amount of points is somehow related to the construction costs of the resort. They had to have enough points to cover the costs of building the resorts. Construction on BWV may have been higher since it was built several years later and is a different type of construction. It is also smaller than OKW so they had to sell more points giving them a bigger "points pool" to divvy up among the units. This may play into the amount of points needed to stay in GV. They loaded up the top unit to make the studios more affordable. Theoretically, they could have raised the studios-2 bedrooms 10 points per night and lowered the GV by 30 points per night.
PamOKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:37 PM   #14
jmminarik
Curmudgeon in Training.

Don't forget, making VB and BW's 12 person villas more expensive pointswise also means they had more points in the inventory to sell. Combine that with their lessons from OKW and the limited supply, it probably meant a higher 'profit' margin for DVC...just like when they learned (most) DVCer's are happier with the smaller, hotel type rooms over the larger, suburban subdivision style housing at OKW. After all DVC isn't just to make us happy...someone's got to pay for Eisner's stock options.

-Joe
TANSTAAFL.
jmminarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #15
Jimbo
6 AM and already the boy ain't right.
Given my cousins up north, "My Name Is Earl" could be considered a reality show
I want a Tim Gunn of my very own!

Quote:
Originally posted by y2khardtop
During a recent trip, the BWV open house folks pointed out that you can get 2 2-bedrooms cheaper (points) than a single GV, and actually get more sleeping room.
That's true during the week. But on weekends, the BWV GVs cost less points then a 1BR plus a 2BR. It's weird!

We've got a GV trip sort of planned for 2006, and we're thinking about staying at OKW during the week to conserve points. Then we'll move to BWV for Friday and Saturday because the points are very nearly a wash between the two resorts on weekends.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: