Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2004, 03:59 PM   #31
Snoopymom
DIS Veteran

Not much to add, but I looooove the apple margaritas and salsa at Chevys and there's an English Pub called The Fox and Hound way down on I92 that has the best pints, chips and beef stew. It's small and smokey though.
Snoopymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 04:27 PM   #32
Sonny76
Earning My Ears

BONANZA BREAKFAST BUFFET

Last year our hotel was down by Wet & Wild. After eating their breakfast we left for the parks. The Bonanza All You Can Eat Breakfast Buffet was on the left hand side on our way to the park down International Drive. The place was on I-Drive.
Anyway, I am hoping it is still there because it was wonderful! There were alot of choices, from biscuits and gravy to pancakes, plus sas.-bacon, all kinds of fruits etc. We ate at that place every day for the rest of our stay.
We filled up on the buffet and it lasted us until late afternoon. We tried other places for dinner on I-Drive that had buffets also and I didn't find a bad one. We saved alot on the food bill.
Just remember to put soda in your room at the hotel instead of paying $2.50 for a can of coke. We did that also since we are soda drinkers.
Hope you werent waiting long for the reply. I just saw this.
Sonny76 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2004, 12:21 PM   #33
trola2
Mouse Addict
FREE is my favorite word!

Unhappy

I posted a week or so ago about Tony Romas and how much we enjoyed it on our December trip. Because of that it was on our list for this past weekend. I do have to say that if this recent experience had been our first visit, we would not have gone there again. The service was terribly slow. I had a sick child and requested a plain baked potato ASAP and it came fully loaded with our meal. The appetizers that were ordered never arrived, all the drinks were wrong and they even gave us the wrong change!! I"m sure a lot of that can be linked back to a bad server. Maybe he was new?? But, regardless, it won't be at the top of our list for our next trip. I just wanted to update since I had given a glowing report before.

Thank you for reading.
AS Music 3times
many trips pre-family
POR ressie Oct 2005/ MNSSHP!!

WW-online only. Lost 23 pounds before WISH CHALLENGE! 48.8 pounds total!
trola2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:24 AM   #34
KCMiller
Has decided she does not need anonymous approval, even if it does come from a fairy...

We ate at a few places off site on our last trip, with gift certificates I had bid for on Ebay - I paid $1.24 for a $25 GC for a breakfast restaurant called Le Peep, and had the best breakfast EVER - the restaurant was a little out of the way, though. Not hard to find, and if you were headed out of town going east on 4 like us, not a big deal. We also scored a $25 GC for $1.47 to a Cuban restaurant called Havana's #1 - it was incredible. I love Cuban food, and there's not an overabundance of that in central Ohio . It was an outstanding meal.

You have to do some due diligence to use the GC's wisely - you have to be willing to go somewhere unfamiliar, and maybe take a look at a map before you bid - but I love an adventure!

KC
KCMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:07 PM   #35
ardac
Earning My Ears

In regards to offsite dining......

I will be staying at Disney all star movies this spring, and am wondering how easy it will be to access offsite dining....I understand there are restaurants etc where the maingate hotels etc are and the crossroads area..........I will not have a car, but will take a taxi or take the disney transportation to the closest disney drop offs. How much is cab fare in the area>??..I have never been and have no clue how big the area actually is!
Old 02-19-2004, 03:35 PM   #36
akur
One hour too far from WDW

Cool Local restaurants

Whenever I go, I try to eat at Yoji's (Japanese) on 192. They have good food and early bird specials. I use to love going to the Black Angus (10 years ago, when there was only one), but last time I was there I was dissapointed. I'd love to try the Colorado Mining Factory in Casselberry, but I've never had the time to drive up there. My brother loves Carrabas (but that's a chain). I also like Sam Seltzer's and Shells, but they're also far away. I also like China Jade Mongolian (near Florida Mall).

1 hour away from WDW

akur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:35 PM   #37
akur
One hour too far from WDW

Cool Local restaurants

Whenever I go, I try to eat at Yoji's (Japanese) on 192. They have good food and early bird specials. I use to love going to the Black Angus (10 years ago, when there was only one), but last time I was there I was dissapointed. I'd love to try the Colorado Mining Factory in Casselberry, but I've never had the time to drive up there. My brother loves Carrabas (but that's a chain). I also like Sam Seltzer's and Shells, but they're also far away. I also like China Jade Mongolian (near Florida Mall).

1 hour away from WDW

akur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:31 PM   #38
maciec
AHHHH....Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?

I can't believe how many positive experiences people have had dinning out. I thought for sure that the bad would out-weigh the good. Boy was I fooled.

Melissa

maciec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 11:56 AM   #39
Razor Roman
Make Roger Rabbit 2! P-p-please!

Re: In regards to offsite dining......

Quote:
Originally posted by ardac
I will be staying at Disney all star movies this spring, and am wondering how easy it will be to access offsite dining....I understand there are restaurants etc where the maingate hotels etc are and the crossroads area..........I will not have a car, but will take a taxi or take the disney transportation to the closest disney drop offs. How much is cab fare in the area>??..I have never been and have no clue how big the area actually is!
If you take a bus to Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island you might be able to walk (it would be a bit of a hike) to the Crossroads shopping center, where Chevy's and Perkins are... taxi is more likely. There are alot of resturaunts right there alone 535, so you could get to the Ale House, Bennigan's, etc. 535 has a lot of restauraunts on it.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:32 AM   #40
PrincessTanyuhKaypoo
I want to watch the way you creep across my skull

We are always in Orlando and I just wanted to add a couple that hadn't been listed:

My absolute favorite place to eat in Orlando is Kobe Japanese Steak House- while we usually go to the one on Kirkman we have eaten at the one by DTD and it was just as good! We don't like to be sat with other people but it's never been a problem here! This one is a drive but we had a great meal at Smoky Bones BBQ on Colonial I believe. It's a BBQ and Sports Bar- think Wilderness Lodge meets ESPN Club! Also we stayed at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress recently and had vouchers for the breakfast buffet in the food court- it was a little weird at first but once we figured out there system it was great! The french toast was excellent as was everything else we ate. I'm not sure about the value though, the vouchers didn't have a price or anything but for us it was great! As far as Tony Roma's goes- there is one over by the International Airport and we have eaten there quite a few times and always had a fantastic meal, but the one on I- Drive has been less than stellar.

Tanya

PrincessTanyuhKaypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:40 PM   #41
WIcruizer
DIS Veteran
I'm a man that won't be offended by a PM

Funny, I guess it just really depends where you're from. Tony Roma's and Perkins for example are everywhere near us, so I wouldn't go there when we're in Orlando. These 3 are unique for us, very good food, and reasonably priced:

1. Giordano's
2. Chevy's
3. Joe's Crab Shack

Joe's is a very lively atmosphere with 80s music usually playing, the waitstaff will stop and do alittle dance and sing along from time to time. Kind of corny, but the kids get a kick out of it. Great crab legs and other seafood...yet they have childrens menus also, of course.
WIcruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:17 PM   #42
DianaPrincessofWales
DIS Veteran

We tried the Shake n'Steak by the Crossroads in Nov. It was clean, cute and the service friendly but I didn't think the food was anything special. I had read it was cheap, but we still ended up spending about 40$ for lunch for our family of 5. It was only OK but I didn't think it was worth that! I probably won't make an effort to go back. Sounds like we'll have to try the Bonanza breakfast buffet!! Great thread!
DianaPrincessofWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 11:14 PM   #43
tinkerbell81284
Got Pixie Dust?

Black Angus Steakhouse

I went to the Black Angus Steakhouse across from Wet n' Wild on my last visit since it right in my hotel (Best Western Movieland). The food was really good, affordable and plentful. I ordered the Breakfast 4 picks for under $4 the portions were big and the food tasted great. Some of the best pancakes I ever ate. I would not recommend the buffet unless you were there first thing in the morning though. Everything's covered and filled up quickly but not as clean as you'd like it to be.

Tinkerbell81284

PS- I would recommend the hotel though. Very clean rooms!
Deluxes: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Contemporary, Grand Floridian (Club Level), Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge (Club Level)
DVC: BoardWalk Villas, Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, Villas at Wilderness Lodge
DCL: Wonder 12/05

tinkerbell81284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 10:08 PM   #44
Teaching in NV
Mouseketeer

For food:
Best:
Giordanno's - good Italian food LOTS of it and the prices were great
Sweet Tomatoes
Cattleman's - Surprisingly good steak

Worst:
Joe's Crab Shack - there was glass in my salad .. and they made me pay for it anyway (ack!)

Good place to stay:
Fairfield's Star Island - beautiful, spotless, its a great big furnished apartment with a full kitchen and its very close to WDW
Old 03-22-2004, 01:51 PM   #45
PamNC
A burger is a burger, right
I'd rather go down to Florida, visit Mickey and get some sand in my shoes

Glad I found this thread

We always always always eat on-site vs off-site. But we've now eaten pretty much everywhere we want - so we want to consider some off-site venues for our next trip. This is great. Keep em' coming.

This wasn't during a Disney trip - but we have eaten at Chevy's - right outside the property. It was great.

It's getting to the point where I don't want to spend $100+ for me and my husband to have a nice, sit-down meal. And that's about normal for Disney restaurants. Anyone else feel strongly about this? I remember when a good meal at places such as Chefs de France, Le Cellier, Artist Pointe, etc etc - was about $80 for us. Nowadays you can't get out of there for less than $100.

Good grief.

PamNC
PamNC is offline   Reply With Quote