Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2005, 03:59 AM   #136
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Ponderosa for a good filling breakfast and sub sandwiches from one of the sub shops.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #137
shoney
DIS Veteran

any thing other than a chain restaurant?

IT Seems like a lot of chain restaurants are being mentioned. I think there is a comfort in seeing the signs for something and knowing upfront what the food will be like. I have a chili's, outback, ruby tuesdays, applebees, etc... all in the same zip code. They are the same no matter where you travel..that is why it is a chain...any local establishments that are worth going to. That is where the true beauty of travel comes in....trying something you might never get otherwise....look forward to your recommendations..........................
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2005, 04:08 PM   #138
kellymonaghan

DIS Veteran
Definitely not a woman
Buy his books so he can get a royality check

There's a new Orlando restaurant guide out

And, no, it's not by me.

It's called "Orlando Chow: Restaurants for the Rest of Us" by Bob Mervine.

Mostly it's inexpensive, off beat, chow hound type places but five Disney places are included and a few at Universal.

More info at http://www.chowbooks.com
Old 04-09-2005, 05:38 PM   #139
brer rabbit 28
Dude, you were like, 'Whoa!' and then we were like 'WHOA!' and then you were like 'Whoa.'

love sweet tomatoes,as a vegetarian i find eating out in Orlando a struggle,also can't beat the ponderosa on the 192.Big queues for breakfast though!!

Claire and Chris' wedding planning journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2509001
brer rabbit 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:10 PM   #140
dolphinslady
Mouseketeer

I think I read every reply on this thread, lol! And now I have to give my vote...We love eating out! We have twin 3 year old girls so we tend to lean towards more family friendly places (AKA "louder places", lol)!

#1 Bahama Breeze for sure. Excellent, excellent food and awesome atmosphere. We generally just order all appetizers and split them. Their kid's chicken fingers/fries are wonderful too, lol!

#2 Carrabba's/Outback - Even though they are a 'chain', they are always consitently good. Carrabba's Chicken Trio is the bomb, especially the Chicken Bryan. And Outback's Special can't be beat.

#3 Tony Roma's - I'm surprised noone mentioned this place yet. They have really good food and they have an awesome Spinach Artichoke dip. You can oftentimes find coupons in the local discount flyers. I think they have a kids eat free program too on certain days.

As far as breakfast, we just eat at the hotel we are staying at. We're not big breakfast people anyway. The Bistro McD's is kind of cool too...considering faster food.

I've never tried Sweet Tomatoes, although it's gotten great reviews. I really shy away from buffets, just a personal preference.

We are heading over to SW for the weekend and I might be trying the Ale House or Chevy's. I'll post when I return.
dolphinslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:06 PM   #141
SlightlyGoofy
I shall be forced to take you on an endless tour
I know where some of your favorite spots are

Ale House, for sure

dolphinslady, while I have checked out Chevy's menu we have not tried that but we did go to the Ale House, several times, on our last trip and we loved it. Great atmosphere, service and the food was wonderful and much cheaper than DW. The onion rings are so huge that you might have to share them with the crowd. LOL For those who are low carbing it they have a fantastic low carb menu with some unusual offerings. Afterward stop by the 7-11, nearby, and check out the Crystal Light Slurpee for a 0 calorie treat. I did. Yum!!!

Slightly Goofy/Linda

We just moved to our Happy Place
All Star Sports is our second home!!
SlightlyGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 06:46 PM   #142
Donnask8pro
Fins to the left, Fins to the right....
sorry for you croc lovers but I have a reputation to keep..

Where is the Ale House located? Sounds good. I just came in at the end of the thread. Where can I find that menu listed? Also Chevy's? Thanks much..

Platinum cruiser...
Upcoming Cruisin w/ The Troublemakers
Oct 2013 Girls gone wild IV cruise Carnival Victory
August 2013 Jersey beach!
Nov 2013 Jersey Week in Disney
Feb 2014 Carnival Liberty TM7
Sept 2014 Carnival Inspiration V
Jan 2015 Carnival SUnshine TM8
Donnask8pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 06:55 PM   #143
wendym
I work to go to Disney!

Google is a wonderful thing!
http://www.chevys.com/frameset.html
http://www.alehouseinc.com/pdf/menu%20no%20prices.pdf
Wendy
wendym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #144
SlightlyGoofy
I shall be forced to take you on an endless tour
I know where some of your favorite spots are

No Problems

Hi there Donna! It is simple to get to either one. If I can find them anyone can. You take the road (Buena Vista) through the property past DTD Westside (watch for the big tentlike building) The road curves to the right and that takes you past all the big sort of on site hotels. Stay in the left lane and then when you get to the main intersection you will see the Crossroads Shopping Center. Directly in front a bit to the left is Chevy's.

If you turn left at the light (stay in the extreme left lane) you will turn left at the very next light, behind the 7-11. It is white with a cupola on top with its name. I have the menu for the Ale House if you would pm me with your email addy. I would just do a search on Chevy's for that menu. You might be able to do the same for the Ale House too.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Slightly Goofy

We just moved to our Happy Place
All Star Sports is our second home!!
SlightlyGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:00 PM   #145
dolphinslady
Mouseketeer

Okay, we're back from our trip to SW and I have a few reviews of restaurants we visited.

Bahama Breeze - twice. We love it. Both times was awesome.

Joe's Crab Shack - twice. (we have children and they have a playground so we can have a few drinks and chat while they play.) Believe it or not, it was really good both times. The dips are good; DH had coconut shrimp and fish, and kids had grilled chicken and broccoli. I had crab legs and salad. Good LI Teas too!

Magic Mining Company - once. And that was too much. I'm sorry, I was extremely disappointed. They charged $2 for a kid's Sprite. Family ordered steaks, all overdone when ordered medium. Overall I would have preferred Outback for the price. Will not go back.

Tony Roma's - once. It was good. Kids meals are cute (include appetizer and dessert.) Their spinach artichoke dip is really good, as are their skins. The ribs were really spicey and I like spice, lol! Green beans were great too.

Chevy's - once. Awesome food. Awesome margaritas. Will def. go back.

The other days/nites we ate inside Sea World. I wanted to go to the Ale House but I think it was up on Idrive and we were staying on 192.
dolphinslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:49 AM   #146
dennise
DIS Veteran

Got back last Sunday, had a great trip. Tried one new restaurant, Whistle Junction on International Drive, before you get to the Beltz mall. It is a buffet restaurant with lots of variety and very good food. The pasta bar makes your pasta to suit you, there is a hugh dessert section with a little higher quality desserts that the usual buffet fare. Chicken is grilled as you want it, at supper time they do steak to suit you. We ate there twice, both times great food. When you sit down they bring you a large slap of warm corncake, drizzled with butter.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:26 PM   #147
luvthatduck
Are we there yet? Loved El Gran Fiesta, fell asleep on Expedition Everest

The Bahama Breeze is definitely included in our trip this coming June. Do they serve Conch salad? It's a Bahamian classic dish:

http://www.the-bahamas-islands.com/7recipe.html

PROUD TO BE A LOTW!

Last edited by luvthatduck; 04-28-2005 at 09:38 PM.
luvthatduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:54 PM   #148
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney
IT Seems like a lot of chain restaurants are being mentioned. I think there is a comfort in seeing the signs for something and knowing upfront what the food will be like. I have a chili's, outback, ruby tuesdays, applebees, etc... all in the same zip code. They are the same no matter where you travel..that is why it is a chain...any local establishments that are worth going to. That is where the true beauty of travel comes in....trying something you might never get otherwise....look forward to your recommendations..........................
I agree. We have Chevy's (great salsa), Chili's (yuck- Chevy's is WAY better - but still not as good as the local place), Outback, and many others. If you don't have one near you, by all means, check them out...but I like to try something new. (Unless I'm in Europe for a month - where every meal is a challenge - one visit to McD's is a treat- the one in Munich is great!)

Having said that, Cafe Tu Tu Tango was a bit of a disappoinment. The food was fairly tasty, but at $7-11 a pop, a meal of tapas wasn't exactly cheap -not when you order 2-3 per person. I had previously heard that the prices ran more like $5-7 each, but they were more around the $10 mark. The pizzas, and the steak dish were the best. The calamari was tender, but compared to other restaurants the portion was about half what you'd get elsewhere for that price. The blackened green beans were not very good - nobody in our group ate them.
For my money, I'd MUCH rather go to the steakhouse next door - Vito's Chophouse. Splurge and get the steaks - they were worth it! The tuna was sushi grade, and cooked like seared sushi too! All the meals come with a salad - though that isn't very clear on the menu; so you get lots of food. The extra veggie options were great - more food than you really need, but good veggies can be hard to come by (in real quantities) when you are eating out. Though this place is a dream for carb watchers (big meat portions!), the chocolate cake for dessert is absolutely huge and rich! We split it four ways with plenty left over. The tiramisu was pretty good too. Last, but not least, even the kid's hamburger was excellent -real meat, lightly charbroiled - I'd love one right now!
mickeyluv'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:32 PM   #149
Queenmum
Earning My Ears

Ozzies Crabhouse and Lounge

Has anyone ever eaten at Ozzie's Crabhouse in Grant Florida? If not does any one know a good all you can eat crabhouse. My children and I have never experienced a bucket of crabs and a mallet.
Leaving on August 30, 2006 for Universal Orlando
Queenmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 04:31 PM   #150
Donnask8pro
Fins to the left, Fins to the right....
sorry for you croc lovers but I have a reputation to keep..

OMG, You poor thing. Never having crabs? It's a staple in New Jersey. I hope you find a place because once you try them your hooked.. Have Fun

Platinum cruiser...
Upcoming Cruisin w/ The Troublemakers
Oct 2013 Girls gone wild IV cruise Carnival Victory
August 2013 Jersey beach!
Nov 2013 Jersey Week in Disney
Feb 2014 Carnival Liberty TM7
Sept 2014 Carnival Inspiration V
Jan 2015 Carnival SUnshine TM8
Donnask8pro is offline   Reply With Quote