Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2003, 09:05 PM   #106
tammydel
A true blue DISer!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Quote:
my daughter exchanged pins with a Disney Cast Member
Not just any cast member - THE cast member! Art is our favorite!!!!
Quote:
I knew my family would be back for another stay in the future. That was a wonderful feeling to have.
Oh, I agree. This is what makes it possible for me to leave Disney and not be quite as sad.

I'm glad the BC was able to provide the type of room you needed. I wonder how many roll in showers they have?

Oh to be at SAB and sitting outside B&C! Instead of sitting in 2 feet of snow.
Thanks for making my night.:D
I'll be watching/waiting for more.

Tammy
Old 12-09-2003, 12:43 PM   #107
helenk
BL II - Purple Team>
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
Loves Monk, and Peeps,

Smile

Janet
Hope everything is going well now that you have returned to work. Thank you for your reports. I feel like a kid waiting for the next installation of her bed time story, LOL.

Looking forward to the rest of your report

Offsite 6/83,5/87
ASSP 7/95 & 11/08, GF 9/99, YC 11/01, WL 12/02 & 9/09 POR 9/03, POFQ 6/04, 12/04, & 5/06 POLY 6/04 & 12/05, POP 12/04, ASMU 7/05,10/07 & 12/07, AKL 12/06, CBR 5/07, CSR 5/08, SSR 11/08, CR 1/09, DLH 5/09, AKV 6/09, ASSP 10/09, ASSP&AKV 12/09, BCV 9/10, VWL 12/10, AKV 1/11 AKV/DCL 5/11 VWL&AKV 12/11, AKV 5/12,SSR 10/12, OKW 12/12, AKV 5/13, HHI 6/13,VWL 12/13, VCG 5/14, Hollywood Hotel, Hong Kong 5/14, AKV 8/14
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2003, 03:49 AM   #108
Janet2k
DIS Veteran

Beach Club Villas Day Two, Part 1…

Today was our first full day at the Beach Club Villas. (Click here for info on the DVC website and click here for info on the WDW website.) I actually got up a little early this morning. I was glad that I had when I heard a knock upon my door shortly before 8 AM. When I opened it, I was surprised to find my parents standing there. They stated that they were heading home because the two of them weren't feeling well. They thought being home would be better under their circumstances (my Mom had been fighting a stomach virus since before their arrival in Florida early last week). I asked them if they felt up to the trip home, and they assured me that they did. I told them how sorry I was that they were leaving, but that I understood (not feeling well while on vacation is certainly no fun). My Dad asked if their early departure would mess up the special dinner that I had arranged for the next evening. I told him that it wouldn’t; he didn’t need to concern himself with that. Everyone then exchanged hugs goodbye and my parents were on their way. I was sad to see them go. Even though my Mom hadn’t been feeling well all week long, everyone sure had had a lovely time together. I just adore my parents.

After my parents had left, I phoned my dear friend. I explained to her about my parents’ departure. She told me how sorry she was that they were ill, and that she hoped they would be okay on their way home. She then mentioned that she had really been looking forward to meeting them since she had heard me speak of them for years.

While I was on the phone with her, I mentioned that I suddenly had two spots free for tomorrow night’s dinner party. I said that I should probably begin calling my Disney contacts in order to adjust the party size downward by two people (my dinner party was arranged for eleven people, but now there would only be nine of us). My friend said, “Janet, you surely know two more people vacationing in WDW who you could invite to your party.” I laughed when she said that (she knows that I usually run into someone I know wherever I am). I told her that two other friends (Bonzie1 and her spouse) had been vacationing in WDW but they had left a few days ago. My friend again stated, “Come on, Janet, I know you. There are surely two more friends vacationing in the area.” And as soon as she said that, the light bulb went off in my head. I told her that I was going to invite WeFullTime and her spouse to the dinner party. I was very excited at the possibility, as they were such lovely people. It would be so much fun if they could join us.

As soon as I hung up the phone, I called Nutz4dzny’s cell phone. Her son answered it and said that she was in the Kilimanjaro Club. I immediately called the Kilimanjaro Club, only to be told that she had left the lounge just minutes before. Drats! I needed to get WeFullTime’s phone number from Nutz4dzny. And then the light bulb went off in my head again. I remembered that WeFullTime had given me her business card and that it was in my wallet. I grabbed my purse, searched through it for my wallet, and found the business card.

I next called WeFullTime’s cell phone, only to get a recorded phone company message stating that her cell phone was “out of range.” Foiled again! But there was another phone number listed on the business card. I held my breath and dialed the number. This time someone answered – her spouse. I explained the situation with my parents (WeFullTime and her husband had gotten the opportunity to meet my parents a few days prior). I then asked him if he and his wife were free to join us for dinner tomorrow night. He checked their schedules and said that they were free and would love to join us. I was thrilled to hear that. I gave him some details about the dinner party and mentioned that everyone needed to meet in the lobby of the Beach Club by 7:45 PM. That was the time that we were scheduled to be picked up for the dinner. I also told him that Disney had stated that everyone in my party needed to have a photo ID with them. We couldn't get into the backstage area of the theme park without it. He told me that wouldn’t be a problem. Before we hung up, I mentioned that the dinner was scheduled to begin at 8:00 PM and it would last for approximately two and a half hours. With that information out of the way, we hung up.

When I told my husband and daughter that WeFullTime and her husband were joining us for the dinner party, they said that they were very happy to hear that. They really liked them (me, too).

I next phoned my dear friend and told her that everything was all set for tomorrow night – we had two new guests joining us. I then asked her to come down to my room because it was time for us to get some breakfast.

Within a few minutes, my friend was at my door. We headed out for breakfast. On our way over to the Beach Club, we decided that we didn’t want a character breakfast this morning, so no Cape May Cafe for us. We only wanted a simple breakfast and decided that the Yacht Club Galley would better suit our needs.

My family had last dined at the Yacht Club Galley a few years ago. We had a nice breakfast then, so I knew we would have a nice one now. I am happy to say that we weren’t disappointed. Not only was our food good, our server was excellent.

With full tummies, we headed back to the Beach Club Villas. It was another beautiful Florida day, perfect for Stormalong Bay. Once our swimsuits were on, we went to the pool and found a vacant table to park my wheelchair (click here). That table just so happened to be within several feet of both the handicap pool entrance and the Beaches & Cream Soda Shop. How lucky could a girl get?!

My friend had never stayed at the Beach Club Villas before and thus this was her first visit to Stormalong Bay. In the months leading up to our vacation, I had sent her links to photos of the swimming pool complex because I had wanted her to see how large and varied it was. Of course, viewing photos on the Internet and actually swimming in the pool were two completely different things.

My friend had a ball in the swimming pool. It wasn’t long before she was heading down the water slide with my daughter (she stated that if the water slide was good enough for my Dad, it was good enough for her). I even got her to hang out in the whirlpool with me. I don’t know who had more fun spinning ‘round & ‘round in it – me or her.

After a few hours, everyone was hungry. My husband and friend walked over to the Beaches & Cream Soda Shop to get us some hamburgers and fries. Everything tasted yummy. Soon afterwards, we were back in the pool again for another hour or two of swimming.

The clock eventually struck 4 PM. We headed up to our rooms in order to shower and change. At 5:30 PM we were going to join Minybear & her spouse and Nutz4dzny & her spouse for drinks at the BoardWalk's Belle Vue Room. I was really looking forward to this evening.

Last edited by Janet2k; 11-03-2005 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Fixed broken links...
Old 12-10-2003, 04:18 AM   #109
Janet2k
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by helenk
Thank you for your reports. I feel like a kid waiting for the next installation of her bed time story, LOL.
If you think you’re anxious to hear about the rest of my vacation, imagine how anxious I must feel to share it with you all. A few days ago I finally got permission from Disney to share details of an intimate dinner party that my husband and I held on Day 11 of our vacation. There were eleven people at our party and it was held after-hours in the Disney Studios Theme Park on Soundstage 4. I will try to begin posting about the party this weekend. I will start with a little background information first, and then I will post about the actual party itself. I will also post some photos of it. I hired a Disney Event Productions’ photographer to take candid photos throughout the dinner party. His photos turned out beautifully. Let me just state for the record that the dinner party was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience for my family. And it wouldn’t have been possible without the help of the Grand Floridian’s staff. I don’t know how I’ll ever be able to thank them. It was a ~magical~ way to celebrate my wedding anniversary.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:22 AM   #110
Janet2k
DIS Veteran

I should warn you that I need to post "BCV Day Two, Part 2" and then "BCV Day Three, Part 1" before I can post about the intimate dinner party. Hang in there, folks. I'll post as soon as I can.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:12 AM   #111
Terry S

DVC Member - BCV
Cinderella's twin sister

Janet, Just thought I would help you out and post the days of my next scheduled vacations, just in case you get in the perdicament again where you need to find someone to fill those empty spots at your wonderful events. We will be in WDW on:

May 21 - May 31, 2004 and
Ocotber 1 - 10, 2004.

Just trying to help you out.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:43 PM   #112
floridafam
DIS Veteran

Yes, we will be there May 21-23, 2004 and again in November. I'll gladly fill in at a dinner party or something if someone can't make it.

TerryS,
It looks like we will be there at the same time :D

Janet,

You have really made me think about our next trip. I really want to do something exciting and unique and have really enjoyed reading your reports.

Can't wait to hear about the dinner! Take care.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:42 PM   #113
pixiechick
will work for disney dollars
I was just thinking about smelling the cat's behind

Quote:
Originally posted by Janet2k
There were eleven people at our party and it was held after-hours in the Disney Studios Theme Park on Soundstage 4. I will try to begin posting about the party this weekend. I will start with a little background information first, and then I will post about the actual party itself. I will also post some photos of it. I hired a Disney Event Productions’ photographer to take candid photos throughout the dinner party. His photos turned out beautifully. Let me just state for the record that the dinner party was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience for my family.
Oh, now you're just teasing us!!! We NEED details! Anxiously waiting for the rest.

And hey, how about you tell me when YOU plan to go next? I may "coincidentally" be there at the same time! (As long as I plan it right! )
Old 12-11-2003, 04:10 AM   #114
Janet2k
DIS Veteran

Beach Club Villas Day Two, Part 2…

Earlier in the day, I had decided that my daughter would attend the Beach Club’s childcare club while the rest of us went to the BoardWalk's Belle Vue Room. While I was at Stormalong Bay, I used a house phone to call WDW-DINE. They told me that the childcare club at the Beach Club was named the Sandcastle Club, and it was located next to the resort’s gift shop. I made a Priority Seating reservation for my daughter for 5 PM.

Because my daughter loves attending the Disney kids’ clubs, I didn’t have to twist her arm in order to get her to agree to attend it this evening. At first she was a little hesitant because she had really wanted to meet Minybear (she’d heard me mention Minybear’s name hundreds of times over the past few years), but once I explained that the adults would be talking boring adult-talk all night long, she told me she’d rather go hang out in the kids’ club. She’s a smart girl.

My daughter enjoys attending the Disney kids’ clubs primarily because she gets to meet other children. She also loves working on arts & crafts projects. Over the years she has drawn me many pictures of our family (when she first started drawing, it was a BIG stretch of the imagination to see the resemblance between the blobs on the paper and my actual family ). She has also made me butterfly masks and collages of her favorite things. Besides her love of craft projects, she enjoys playing board games and video games with the other children. And when she’s not in the mood for any of that, she can always sit down and enjoy a book or a Disney movie. Yes, there are many things to do at a Disney childcare club.

Shortly before 5 PM, my dear friend arrived at my resort room. We then went off in search of the Sandcastle Club. We found it right next door to the Beach Club’s gift shop, just like WDW-DINE had stated we would.

We entered the kids’ club and I was immediately asked to sign my daughter in. Even though I had made a Priority Seating reservation hours before, they did not have my reservation on file. I found that odd until the mother behind me mentioned that had happened to her twice at the Sandcastle Club. The Cast Member told me not to worry, they had room for my daughter this evening. Click here to view a few photos that my daughter took of the Sandcastle Club (slideshow).

After my daughter was signed in and my credit card information was taken, I was given an electronic pager. If for any reason the childcare club needed to reach me, they would beep me via that pager. Since the dinner hour was near, I was also given a menu from which to select my daughter’s dinner. If memory serves me correctly, the following items were on the menu: hamburger, cheeseburger, hot dog, macaroni & cheese, peanut butter & jelly sandwich, chicken tenders, French fries, milk, and juice. I let my daughter select her meal and she chose macaroni & cheese. I was then asked what time my daughter should eat (I believe there were three dinner hours). My daughter wanted to eat late, but I requested the early dinner (I knew she was hungry because she hadn’t eaten much all day).

With her dinner ordered, the pager attached to my purse, and my credit card information taken, there was nothing left for me to do but to kiss my daughter goodbye.

My husband and dear friend took turns pushing me over to the BoardWalk. It was nice being able to give my hands and arms a break, if only for a little while. Soon we were at the BoardWalk resort; we took the elevator up and entered the Belle Vue Room shortly before 5:30 PM.

We found the Belle Vue Room to be chilly, so we decided to sit outside on the balcony where it was warmer. Once outside, we pushed some tables together because there were going to be seven of us this evening. With the tables and chairs all set, we sat down and enjoyed a cold drink. It was another beautiful Florida evening.

Within minutes, Minybear and her spouse arrived. I had really been looking forward to meeting her. She and I had been Pen Pals for a few years but had never met. I noticed that she was wearing a Disney Vacation Club t-shirt that stated “Members Are Magical.” I thought that was very appropriate considering how both she and I were DVC members. We exchanged introductions and she and her husband sat down to join us. Minybear was just as nice in person as she has been here on the Dis. And her husband was very nice, too. It was fun getting to know the two of them.

Nutz4dzny and her spouse arrived next. More introductions were exchanged and now our unofficial little Dis Meet was complete. We sat outside on the balcony and talked for two hours. It was really a wonderful way to spend the evening. Before the evening was through, both Nutz4dzny and I had pulled out our cameras. We took a group photo of the ladies and then one of the gentlemen.

Soon it was time for everyone to go their separate ways. But I wasn’t sad because I knew that we all were going to get together at least twice more before the week was through. We still had the dinner party to look forward to, as well as the new Spirit of Aloha dinner show.

With our goodbyes said, my dear friend announced that she was starving. My husband suggested that the three of us have dinner at the Flying Fish Café. That sounded good to me because it was basically downstairs from where we were.

When we arrived at the Flying Fish Café's podium, they told us the earliest they could seat us was 40 minutes away. That was too long of a wait for the three of us. I inquired as to whether or not it would be possible for us to be seated at the counter for dinner. I was told that the counter was available. That was music to our ears.

I hadn’t eaten in the Flying Fish in a few years, so I was curious to find out if their food was still as good as I had remembered it was. From what I could smell from my counter seat, I knew we weren’t going to be disappointed. The aromas coming from the kitchen were wonderful.

It was really a lot of fun sitting at the counter, watching the chefs cook the food. At first I wasn’t sure if my friend would enjoy sitting there, but I noticed that she, too, was enjoying the view. I should probably mention that there were times during our dinner when it was a little warm at our seats. We found this to be true whenever a chef was restocking the fire grill. But luckily for us, a few ice cold drinks, plus the air-conditioning vents overhead, cooled us down anytime we thought it was going to get too uncomfortable.

When it was time to place our dinner order, my dear friend selected the grilled salmon dish. I am allergic to seafood, so I ordered the grilled pork chops, while my husband ordered the blackened steak. I was surprised at my husband’s dinner selection since he is a BIG seafood lover and can not have seafood at home due to my food allergy. Whenever we dine out, he usually orders seafood. I figured that since we were in a restaurant that was called the “Flying Fish,” he would surely order a fish dish. Nope. He surprised me by ordering the blackened steak (I guess you can take the boy out of the Midwest but you can’t take the Midwest out of the boy). Besides ordering our main entrees, we also ordered salad and an appetizer. To top that off, we ordered soufflés for dessert. Once our orders had been placed, I wondered if our eyes were larger than our stomachs. I knew we would soon find out.

The three of us shared a bite or two of each other’s entrees (don’t worry, I didn’t touch the salmon). Everything was absolutely delicious. By the time our soufflés arrived, I was too stuffed to finish mine. Anyone who knows me knows that I find it a sin not to be able to finish my soufflé. I hated myself for not being able to finish it but there was nothing that I could do – I was too full by that point. My eyes had definitely been larger than my stomach.

When the waiter brought the dinner check, my dear friend took it and said that dinner was her treat this evening. That was very kind of her. I told her that if I had known she was going to pay for dinner, I never would have ordered the soufflé. She said that was exactly why she didn’t tell me that she was buying – she knew I wouldn’t have ordered dessert (she knows me so well). Once the check had been paid, the three of us took a nice, leisurely stroll (and wheel) around the boardwalk. We needed to burn off all those calories that we had consumed at dinner.

Once our pants felt a little less tight around our bellies, we headed back to the Beach Club to pick up my daughter from the Sandcastle Club. My daughter greeted us with two completed art projects and one almost-completed art project. She gave one of the completed projects to my dear friend and the other one to me. My husband was the recipient of the uncompleted work of art, or shall I say, the work-in-progress? My daughter stated that she had fun at the kids’ club. I never doubted that she wouldn’t.

We had a busy day facing us so we called it a night. My daughter gave a big hug and kiss to my dear friend before she took the elevator up to her floor. It had been another wonderful day. One that had been shared with friends both old and new.

Last edited by Janet2k; 11-03-2005 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Fixed broken links...
Old 12-11-2003, 04:22 AM   #115
Janet2k
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by pixiechick
Oh, now you're just teasing us!!!
Do you folks think I'd actually tease you? CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT.

Last edited by Janet2k; 11-03-2005 at 10:23 PM. Reason: To fix broken link...
Old 12-11-2003, 12:46 PM   #116
helenk
BL II - Purple Team>
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
Loves Monk, and Peeps,

I think you are enjoying our impatience.

Offsite 6/83,5/87
ASSP 7/95 & 11/08, GF 9/99, YC 11/01, WL 12/02 & 9/09 POR 9/03, POFQ 6/04, 12/04, & 5/06 POLY 6/04 & 12/05, POP 12/04, ASMU 7/05,10/07 & 12/07, AKL 12/06, CBR 5/07, CSR 5/08, SSR 11/08, CR 1/09, DLH 5/09, AKV 6/09, ASSP 10/09, ASSP&AKV 12/09, BCV 9/10, VWL 12/10, AKV 1/11 AKV/DCL 5/11 VWL&AKV 12/11, AKV 5/12,SSR 10/12, OKW 12/12, AKV 5/13, HHI 6/13,VWL 12/13, VCG 5/14, Hollywood Hotel, Hong Kong 5/14, AKV 8/14
Old 12-11-2003, 01:15 PM   #117
Terry S

DVC Member - BCV
Cinderella's twin sister

OMG.... Did your Private Dining Event have something to do with The Making of the Haunted Mansion? You did say it was back stage at MGM? Please don't keep us in suspense much longer!
Old 12-11-2003, 08:37 PM   #118
pixiechick
will work for disney dollars
I was just thinking about smelling the cat's behind

Quote:
Originally posted by Janet2k
Do you folks think I'd actually tease you? CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT.
Now that's just mean!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2003, 02:48 AM   #119
Janet2k
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry S
OMG.... Did your Private Dining Event have something to do with The Making of the Haunted Mansion? You did say it was back stage at MGM? Please don't keep us in suspense much longer!
My lips are sealed, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...
Old 12-12-2003, 02:56 AM   #120
Janet2k
DIS Veteran

Yahoo has finally fixed the issues with my on-line photo albums. I need to rearrange things with a few of those albums, and once I do, I'll go back through this thread and fix any broken photo links. But tonight Disney released their newly redesigned WDW website. A lot of information that used to reside on their old webpages is now gone. This means that I will need to go through my entire thread again and delete links that are no longer valid. Arg! First Yahoo messes me up and now Disney messes me up. I’ve been foiled again!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: