Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 11:48 PM   #1
Planecrazy4dis
"This is no longer a vacation...It's a quest for fun...Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah" Clark Griswold

Question Song Of The South

You cannot find this movie anywhere because after Song of the South's last theatrical release in 1986, Disney decided not to re-release it again, most likely because of the negative feedback they had been receiving in regards to Song of the South's reputation as being a "racial" film (although there are no documented complaints stemming from the movie's 1986 theatrical release.) It was released on video and laserdisc in various foreign countries, but never in the United States. As of December 2001, Song of the South has been withdrawn worldwide. Song of the South is not officially available on DVD, nor have there been any visible plans at this point to release it on DVD. While various rumors have cropped up over the years hinting at this movie's release on home video in the United States, none have actually occurred. Former head of Disney Feature Animation Thomas Schumacher claimed that Song of the South is on "permanent moratorium."

So, my questions are: Has anyone viewed a bootleg DVD-R version? What is the quality of these copys?

(People transfer laserdiscs & PAL VHSs onto DVD-Rs. I'm not advocating the illegal selling of these products.)

Thanks.

Last edited by Planecrazy4dis; 09-15-2003 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:05 AM   #2
wdwguide
Ex Guide Book Author

That person is brave. Bootlegging a copyrighted product, a Disney product no less, labeling it as a "Disney DVD", which I am certain is a trademark, and then selling it publically at an extremely inflated price. I wouldn't do it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Song of the South was released as a Walt Disney Treasures title within a few years.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2003, 01:00 AM   #3
St.LouisFan
A Dad who loves building memories for his family

I understand there are some UK sites that will sell you the PAL format with a duplicate that will play on U.S. machines, thereby not infringing on the Disney copyright (don't know if that is true). I don't know the cost but I am sure it's not too cheap. I don't want to give websites here but search Song of the South on Google.com.

I honestly believe if the people at Disney were smart, they would release a restored version with an "added feature" discussing the racial issues. I have read the objections to the film and will not dispute them but I believe this country is ready to see the film again and hear the objections. I love the songs, the characters, etc. Maybe this is why Splash Mountain is my favorite attraction at WDW.

Hope this helps.
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'January 02, 2004 3:00:00 PM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Countdown to our family`s 8th trip to WDW </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'WE ARE THERE!!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
Old 09-14-2003, 01:59 AM   #4
Bob O
Voice of Reason
Go Hawks Go!
I'm not a republican, I'm a conservative!!!

Disney is way too pc tp release this movie in the US!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2003, 10:48 AM   #5
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

I am led to believe that, if Disney releases Song of the South soon, that some scenes will be deleted.

With so much recent hoopla about people uploading and downloading music on the internet, and record companies suing them, we should stay away from bootleg movies.

The last I was told, it is illegal to sell the U.S. playable (NTSC) copy of the movie even when accompanied by a (PAL) European original. I am not sure whether it is illegal for a local video shop to make a PAL to NTSC conversion for you.

If you have a laser disk player and want to spend $150.00 for the Song of the South LD on eBay, you will get a picture that is better than a VHS tape and probably much better than the usual PAL to NTSC conversion that local shops do.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm
Old 09-14-2003, 11:17 AM   #6
brunoflipper
it's "disney magic" baby

i bought a laser disc to dvd transfer... the quality was excellent... i bought a spare for my dad... he had not seen it since he was 5 y.o.... it is his favorite.... he was thrilled... the dvd-r played flawlessly and looked really good... i know i am a bad person... but i've also had bambi and LK for three years on dvd... i will be buying the new LK when it comes out next week... (i just can't wait, i had also done the same for the starwars trilogy)
Old 09-14-2003, 08:00 PM   #7
jlima
Beep Beep!

we have the Japanese LD

We have the Japanese import LD . . . bought it here in Las Vegas at Record City for $150 about 3 yrs ago. There's japanese lettering and a bouncing mickey head during the songs on the screen (think sing a long style) but other than that it's something I'm proud we own & that our kids can watch.

We also have The Lion King on LD; purchased for $10 when Blockbuster liquidated their LDs several years ago.

Old 09-15-2003, 12:26 AM   #8
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

I got a DVD-R version, no subtitles. Quality is good. $20, so it was not expensive.

I would buy it again in a second if they release it on DVD.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:55 AM   #9
ohanafamily

Taglitude
Chocolate Malt-O-Meal: YUMMY!
Turkey basters- not just for cooking anymore!

I have the Japanese Laserdisc, I was in the Chinese area of Dallas with a friend and went into a video store where I couldn't read any of the covers on the videos. It was $79.00 (about 8-10 years ago). I bought it, and ran out of the store feeling like a bandit! The Left channel is Japanese, the right channel is English. The songs are in English on both channels. There are subtitles in the songs. I have heard that there was a Canadian version that was in all English.

I know of some of the problems associated with this movie, but it deals with the slavery issue in a very positive way. My dad actually made me show it to my Nieces and Nephews because of the topic. People today are afraid to talk about the whole slavery issue, yet it is referenced throughout our culture (especially in the South).

I know that a film as controversial as this will probably never be re-released, It makes me sad because the ending always jerks a tear from me; when the entire plantation is praying for the child. This is to me one of the most powerful scenes in any Disney Movie.

Disney can’t release this film without a major hoopla and a lot of negative publicity, I just wish it were different.

Ohana Means Family.
Family Means Nobody Gets Left Behind or Forgotten

(Especially Us)
http://www.tagliarchy.com/color.htm
Old 09-15-2003, 02:49 PM   #10
wdwguide
Ex Guide Book Author

It's always puzzled me how something like Song of the South is considered to have questionable content when movies like Peter Pan and Dumbo, which are full of racial stereotypes, are perfectly acceptable.

Carl Barks' comic books, too, have been cencored for many years now, and they are certainly not as bad as the above examples (with a couple of possible exceptions).
Old 09-15-2003, 04:13 PM   #11
ohanafamily

Taglitude
Chocolate Malt-O-Meal: YUMMY!
Turkey basters- not just for cooking anymore!

Quote:
Originally posted by wdwguide
It's always puzzled me how something like Song of the South is considered to have questionable content when movies like Peter Pan and Dumbo, which are full of racial stereotypes, are perfectly acceptable.

Carl Barks' comic books, too, have been cencored for many years now, and they are certainly not as bad as the above examples (with a couple of possible exceptions).
Well, you can get away with a lot if you are a crow and not a human. Also SOTS has direct representation of slaves and a plantation. Uncle Remus, Aunt Jemima and others have strong symbolism and racial hatred by certain groups.

BTW, I did a google check, and there is a place that for $40 will sell you a DVD-R that will play on most players made from a digital master, not a laserdisc. It has no subtitles and the original soundtrack. I am curious where they got the master from. I am tempted to order a copy...

Ohana Means Family.
Family Means Nobody Gets Left Behind or Forgotten

(Especially Us)
http://www.tagliarchy.com/color.htm
Old 09-16-2003, 09:51 AM   #12
Planecrazy4dis
"This is no longer a vacation...It's a quest for fun...Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah" Clark Griswold

Aloha,
Thanks for your thoughts and experiences. I agree. Things need to be explained & not hidden. SOTS reflects the thinking of the 40's. Especially down in the south. It's history. I have a new WD "Treasures" DVD "Mickey Mouse In Black & White". In the DVD Leonard Maltin explained when "Galloping Goucho" was made back in 1928, the world was different. Not very PC. Dis used Leonard Maltin as a disclaimer to cover themselves because Mickey was far from PC back then. Mickey smoked, drank, & he pulled cat's tails (violence). So my point is, they didn't hide those pieces of history, instead they talked about that era. I wish they could do something like that for SOTS. But I guess your right, crows & mice can get away with a lot more.

I googled SOTS & I found someone that tranfers from PAL VHS to DVD-R in stereo & no sub-titles for $30.

Have a "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah-day"!
Planecrazy4dis

Last edited by Planecrazy4dis; 09-16-2003 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:08 PM   #13
crystalb
Gives smilie fashion advise

This gets brought up often. And still I don't think anyone can understand or explain why SotS is not acceptable but Gone With the Wind is.

We bought a new TV a few weeks ago for the bedroom. The parental button was accidently hit. What we couldn't figure out was why The Man Show was acceptable viewing with the parental lock on, but Cartoon Network wasn't.
I guess it just depends on what you are trying to protect yourself from.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:08 PM   #14
COMPSPEED
Earning My Ears

http://www.superhappyfun.com/specialoffers/

password???....your favorite SOtheS character
Old 09-16-2003, 09:35 PM   #15
Doc and Family
DIS, DVC, and Disney...To Infinity and Beyond...

I have it on DVD and on PAL format. The PAL format is still sealed. The DVD plays beautifully. It is a wonderful movie with fantastic actors.
As the saying goes, those that don't study history are doomed to repeat it.
The facts of what occurred will remain whether or not Disney releases the movie. We teach our children that what was accepted then should not have been, and is not acceptable now.
So Disney can bury its head in the sand, or trot out a truly wonderful piece of Americana. Either way, I got mine!
2002(Feb)-Port Orleans/(May, Nov)-All Star Sports
2003 (March)-BCV, 1st trip home
2003 (Dec)-2004 (Jan)-Contemporary
2004 (May)-BCV/(Oct)-OKW
2005 (Feb)-BCV/(June)-Poly
2006 (May)-Poly,VWL/(July)-BW/(Dec)-BCV/AKL
2007 (July)-Beach Club/(Dec)-Coronado Springs/BCV
2008 (Feb)-1st Disney Cruise/Grand Floridian/(June)-SS/(Oct)-BCV/(Dec)-Poly
2009 (June)-BCV/(Dec)-BLT

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: