Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2003, 02:23 PM   #1
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Stressed 6 year old - need help!

In 4 weeks DH & I are taking DD (4) & our niece to WDW. Our neice has not flown since 9/11 & is now working herself into a right state about flying & that we would force her onto rides she doesn't like (bummer as it includes splash mountain). I think the ride thing is now sorted, however, has anyone else flown with children who are nervous of flying? What, if anything, did you give them? SIL is all for a march to the GP for valium or something, but I@d rather take the more natural (?) approach.

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 03:51 PM   #2
edie w
Flying stinging things are a bit much for me!!
My DH hunts through trash to mug smuggle

I think lots of patience, reassurance and distraction is the key. Listen to her concerns and explain to her all of the things the airlines are doing to improve security, in terms she can understand. And keep on going over the same ground if necessary. My niece is 12 and is pretty worried, although determined not to let it get the better of her, and we find being sympathetic and reassuring and focusing on what we are going to do when we get there works much better than dismissing her concerns.

Maybe you could arrange a trip to your local airport so she can watch planes landing and taking off in safety?

And if she's scared when you are on the plane e.g. in turbulence or when the plane makes strange noises, we always look at the stewards and remember they do this every day. Do they look relaxed and happy? If so, then everything's OK.

I can't see any GP giving a sedative to a child specifically for flying - especially not valium. But you could try carrying an anti-travel- sickness medication in case you need it. Talk to a pharmacist and explain that your niece is also anxious so you don't want a non-drowsy formulation.

Other people have also recommended Bach flower remedies and aromatherapy oils. Don't have much experience of these but sure other people will be able to recommend something.

Judicious use of the remote control during news coverage of 9/11 might also be a good idea!

Hope you have a wonderful time. We'll be there a few days after you!
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'October 14, 2004 4:00:00 PM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=fuchsia>Time `til we`re off again :D :D :D :D</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Woo hoo!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
edie w is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2003, 07:23 PM   #3
galaxy
I change the colour each Sunday night!
Be careful what you wish for ;)

I hope things go ok for u

Perhaps u could try something like phenergan(Ithink u can get it on prescription....makes u drowsy).

We find that giving the kids plenty to do...a bag full off puzzles, gameboys etc helps pass the time!

I've had some alcohol tonite....sorry if the answer seems disjointed!

Galaxy

Old 09-14-2003, 10:12 AM   #4
vernon
DIS Veteran

IMHO at that age most children take their cue from the adults around them. If you all can remain positive and avoid making too much of an issue of it I'm sure that will help. Some kids pick up just the obvious stuff like adults talking out loud about their own fears, some pick up the whispers that we think they don't hear because they are occupied playing or watching TV and some are perceptive enough to pick up on less obvious signs like body language and indirect references.
On the rides there's not much you can do if they don't want to go on a bid ride, IMHO not much point in trying to force them. It may help to try and build up their tollerence by starting on the less extreme rides and working up until you find their limits.
vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 10:30 AM   #5
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Thanks for everyone's input - I'm in daily contact with SILfor a progress update, but it is so hard to control the environment when they aren't yours! DD can't wait, & I'm hoping that this will be a very positive influence, and splash mountain will still be there next time we go (I know there will be a next time, not yet sure when), and if DD is tall enough, she can go with DH & we'll have a mickey bar & watch! I'll post a report when I get back to let you all know how I got on, but if you're on flight VS049 11/10/03 apologies in advance. By the way - tickets arrived yesterday. Impressed as it's still 4 weeks to go!

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: