Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2003, 06:51 PM   #1
Otto's Doll
Cheese and Whiskers, I just can't seem to catch their attention...
My dream came true
Stop laughing DH!

Cool I'd like to join.. question about Atkins

I would like to be part of WISH. I have been doing Atkins for 2 weeks now. I have lost 10 pounds, and feel so much better.. I am leaving for Disneyworld (DH, DS, DD first trip!) in 17 days, and want to know.. .
How many of you have gone on vacation planning to forget the diet for the duration of the vacation? How did that impact your weight loss? (Especially interested in hearing from Atkins users).
Thanks!
"Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with Him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of Himself to us. Love like that." Ephesians 5:2

Last edited by Otto's Doll; 08-09-2003 at 07:08 PM.
Otto's Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 07:36 PM   #2
disneyeveryyear
Not fully packed until she gets on the plane and then there’s always Wal-Mart!
Disney Lover!!!! (I think I am addicted to exclamation points!)

Welcome Aboard (you can tell I am getting ready for a cruise)!

I started Atkins almost 3 months ago and haven't done vacation yet, not until November, so I can't answer your question (don't plan to ditch it all, but maybe a couple of cheats).

Just wanted to say welcome and we hope to see more of you.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2003, 08:40 PM   #3
plutosmyfav
Has high hopes, high apple pie in the sky hopes!!

Welcome!

Last Dec I went on a 10 day trip to Orlando. Three days at U/IOA and 6 at WDW. For the first 4 days of the tip I stayed on plan, which at the time was no sugar, refined flours, regular meals of protein, veggies and whole grain/rice stuff. I broke down and started eating everything I wanted on the 5th day. I walked an incredible amount (never took an afternoon break, etc) and I gained 8 pounds!!!! I was so upset with the weight gain and it was particularly hard to get back on track since we returned home just before Christmas.

My advice would be to plan moderation. Of course the best thing to do would be to stay strict on Atkins but you have to weigh your feellings and be honest about whether or not that is likely to work. If you go with an "all or nothing" attitude you might slip and find yourself turning the vacation into one long binge.

Maybe plan to splurge just one meal per day and keep the rest of the day low carb? Don't plan on losing this way, in fact, you may still gain a little but hopefully not 8 pounds! I'm trying to plan my strategy, too. I'll be hitting the magic Nov 28

Good luck and congrats on your great start

2006 WDW Marathon 4:33 (10:25)
2007 Goofy 9:57 (15:13)

plutosmyfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:30 AM   #4
webray
Love the wineauxs!

We headed to disney not long after starting atkins, twice actually.

The first time we had some fun ate too much...lol. Hubby and I were both up about six pounds when we got home...it took about 1 1/2 weeks to recover the gain and then we kept losing from there.

The second time...we were further along...we didn't go to overboard, but had some great meals at some of the Universal resorts and City Walk. I was up only one pound when we got back, hubby was up around 4. It took just a few days to recover the gain and start losing again. Funny thing was...we were further into the plan, stayed in Orlando more days...ate out more restaurants...meals, etc and didn't gain as much and it was easier to recover once we got back home.

Our next test is the 9/13 disney cruise. We will have been on the plan 3 months by then and probably have close to 40 pounds off each if we keep going at the rate we are going. I am sure there will be a recovery period again...just remember to get right back into induction when you get home and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck!
webray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 09:34 AM   #5
Kelsie
DIS Veteran

DISboards Administrator

I just returned from 7 days in Yellowstone and completely went off Atkins. I weighed in this morning and gained 3 pounds. I had planned to go off and actually thought the gain would be worse.

Have a wonderful time and no matter how much you gain, we will be here when you get back to help you back on that wagon!
Kelsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 11:44 AM   #6
Otto's Doll
Cheese and Whiskers, I just can't seem to catch their attention...
My dream came true
Stop laughing DH!

You guys are all so supportive... I feel like I just met a whole new circle of friends!
I have to be honest, I am pretty sure we will both (DH is on it too) be abandoning our diets for the trip, but I had already planned on doing induction as soon as we returned.
I think I have it easier than my husband, as I am not a pasta/bread/potato lover, and this plan has not been hugely difficult for me. That is good, though, because I feel like I can do this! Now, I just need to start exercising!

Thanks for all the replies.
"Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with Him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of Himself to us. Love like that." Ephesians 5:2
Otto's Doll is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: