Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #1411
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylady1972 View Post
Thanks for the information. I can tell you that when I called last year to book our June trip, I gave the ages of the kids and they would have let us put them in roomettes. Instead we went with a Superliner Bedroom for DH and two of the kids (who were 6 and 8) and then I took a roomette with our oldest, who was 11. So I guess we'll have to see what they say there.

I'm really getting a little bit frightened about the reports of coach travel! My DH still says he remembers when we got off the train last year and he said he looked at the people getting out of the coach cars and they looked ROUGH! I guess I am comparing it to flying the redeye on an airplane, which I've done plenty of times in those non-reclining seats. I've managed short bursts of sleep there somehow and been okay...not great but I survived!

So there's a part of me that just wants to TRY it and see how it compares. Plus when we make our trip to Disney in November, we are already booked in sleepers on the trip down and coach on the way back. So if we really HATE coach, we can just choose to drive home next November instead!
Unfortunately for us if we take the AT we can only afford coach...I told my dh we never sleep right for 1 night when we're on the road and then we have to drive another day, if we take the train we may not sleep well either but we only have to drive 2-3 hours to get home instead of an entire day

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #1412
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
Is there any type of formula that tells how much wear and tear you will get on your car? Just trying to help justify the cost to dh!
I see previous posts showing 55 cents/mile. I think we did 30-40 cents a mile (which was what my company would reimburse me, but they were cheap!) and then we added on gas, based on our large SUV (which doesn't get good gas mileage) and found that gas alone was almost 1/2 our Autotrain costs.

Most/some of those gas stations along I95 really do bump up the price, too. So check for gas prices along I95, not just what it is in your area.

I certainly do add on wear and tear as it does impact our vehicle, esp if it's an older/larger one like ours. We go every year so it takes a toll. Also, the potential of having an accident and having it delay/cancel out your vacation altogether has a price as well.

Another option would be to take the cost of renting a vehicle plus gas plus insurance and using that in comparison.

Guess it depends on how "big picture" you want to be about the costs vs. just what you physically have to pay for. Hopefully, your DH is the big picture person...it helps justify the costs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylady1972 View Post
Thanks for the information. I can tell you that when I called last year to book our June trip, I gave the ages of the kids and they would have let us put them in roomettes. Instead we went with a Superliner Bedroom for DH and two of the kids (who were 6 and 8) and then I took a roomette with our oldest, who was 11. So I guess we'll have to see what they say there.

I'm really getting a little bit frightened about the reports of coach travel! My DH still says he remembers when we got off the train last year and he said he looked at the people getting out of the coach cars and they looked ROUGH! I guess I am comparing it to flying the redeye on an airplane, which I've done plenty of times in those non-reclining seats. I've managed short bursts of sleep there somehow and been okay...not great but I survived!

So there's a part of me that just wants to TRY it and see how it compares. Plus when we make our trip to Disney in November, we are already booked in sleepers on the trip down and coach on the way back. So if we really HATE coach, we can just choose to drive home next November instead!
Yes, flying on the red-eye might be a good comparison ... except the AT is more convenient in having more bathrooms, ability to walk around more and it's not "shunned upon" like on a plane. Also the seats do recline and are much larger than the average airplane seat. Also, only 2 seats and you are more likely to luck out with getting both to yourself on the AT. Plus you can just hang out in the lounge car for a long time, watching the movie, playing games your bring, snacking on cookies and hot chocolate ... and then when you are truly ready to crash, just go to your seats.

We had DD1 and DD5 with us in coach and ended up going to bed around 8:30pm/9pm, which was waaaaaay too early for us. So it felt like a long, long time there.

Quote:
Unfortunately for us if we take the AT we can only afford coach...I told my dh we never sleep right for 1 night when we're on the road and then we have to drive another day, if we take the train we may not sleep well either but we only have to drive 2-3 hours to get home instead of an entire day
Yep! And we spend the morning in WDW before going to the train (we have AP so it makes sense). If we drove, we would be ready to hit the road early...so for us, by taking the train we get into WDW earlier (can be in the park by noon instead of only arriving in WDW in the later afternoon) and also get a 8am - 12:30pm day in the park before we leave.

Good luck in your decision.

I recommend trying it one time. We tried coach our first time too, just to see if we would like it.
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #1413
loveysbydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
I see previous posts showing 55 cents/mile. I think we did 30-40 cents a mile (which was what my company would reimburse me, but they were cheap!) and then we added on gas, based on our large SUV (which doesn't get good gas mileage) and found that gas alone was almost 1/2 our Autotrain costs.

Most/some of those gas stations along I95 really do bump up the price, too. So check for gas prices along I95, not just what it is in your area.

I certainly do add on wear and tear as it does impact our vehicle, esp if it's an older/larger one like ours. We go every year so it takes a toll. Also, the potential of having an accident and having it delay/cancel out your vacation altogether has a price as well.

Another option would be to take the cost of renting a vehicle plus gas plus insurance and using that in comparison.

Guess it depends on how "big picture" you want to be about the costs vs. just what you physically have to pay for. Hopefully, your DH is the big picture person...it helps justify the costs!

Yes, flying on the red-eye might be a good comparison ... except the AT is more convenient in having more bathrooms, ability to walk around more and it's not "shunned upon" like on a plane. Also the seats do recline and are much larger than the average airplane seat. Also, only 2 seats and you are more likely to luck out with getting both to yourself on the AT. Plus you can just hang out in the lounge car for a long time, watching the movie, playing games your bring, snacking on cookies and hot chocolate ... and then when you are truly ready to crash, just go to your seats.

We had DD1 and DD5 with us in coach and ended up going to bed around 8:30pm/9pm, which was waaaaaay too early for us. So it felt like a long, long time there.

Yep! And we spend the morning in WDW before going to the train (we have AP so it makes sense). If we drove, we would be ready to hit the road early...so for us, by taking the train we get into WDW earlier (can be in the park by noon instead of only arriving in WDW in the later afternoon) and also get a 8am - 12:30pm day in the park before we leave.

Good luck in your decision.

I recommend trying it one time. We tried coach our first time too, just to see if we would like it.
Thanks for the info! The kids and I really want to go and I think dh does too but all he sees is the bottom line $$$...we don't do I-95...we drive down 81 since we're not far from there. I think we filled up 3-4 times in gas for our 2005 T&C minivan(smaller size) Plus we need a larger room for all 5 of us to sty in at the hotel, which is normally about $100(for a place that is not a dump) Plus we have to buy dinner for the 1st night and lunch for the 2nd day(we pack lunch for the 1st day and get free breakfast at the hotels we stay at). I know I can't talk him into using the AT both ways due to cost, but hopefully for the way home at least! We'll be coming home in late Oct but won't have the money saved up til probably July...wondering if I should just put it on the cc and then just pay it off later before prices go up Do you have up to a certain point where you can cancel and get a refund?

Also really not sure if we should choose lower or upper level??? Thinking lower level would be better in case ds has to use the potty at night...are there any other perks to upper or lower? I can't find the part in this thread that discussed it before! Is the lower level quieter? Prefer less going on so hopefully my kids will sleep better!

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!

Last edited by loveysbydesign; 05-03-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #1414
loveysbydesign

Forgot to ask if anyone has pix. of what the coach seats/cars look like and are there windows on both levels?

Old 05-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #1415
NJBILL
Always Keep An Eye To The Sky

Quote:
Thanks for the info! The kids and I really want to go and I think dh does too but all he sees is the bottom line $$$...we don't do I-95...we drive down 81 since we're not far from there. I think we filled up 3-4 times in gas for our 2005 T&C minivan(smaller size) Plus we need a larger room for all 5 of us to sty in at the hotel, which is normally about $100(for a place that is not a dump) Plus we have to buy dinner for the 1st night and lunch for the 2nd day(we pack lunch for the 1st day and get free breakfast at the hotels we stay at). I know I can't talk him into using the AT both ways due to cost, but hopefully for the way home at least! We'll be coming home in late Oct but won't have the money saved up til probably July...wondering if I should just put it on the cc and then just pay it off later before prices go up Do you have up to a certain point where you can cancel and get a refund?

Also really not sure if we should choose lower or upper level??? Thinking lower level would be better in case ds has to use the potty at night...are there any other perks to upper or lower? I can't find the part in this thread that discussed it before!
As a fellow cheapskate I do not think you can make the argument and win based on cost. Our autotrain trip for 5 this august is around $1,043 with our AAA discount RT. It is cheaper than flying from NJ. Based on your description, for gasoline up and back, hotel up and back, and lunch and dinner both ways it comes to about $700. A difference of $343. Not a big difference but still more expensive. Some of the positives to point out to your DH is that you have quality family time with your kids. I know we enjoy our AT or Amtrak ride and it becomes one of the great memories of the trip. You can also add that it is a new experience for the family to enjoy together. The relaxation factor of not driving 18 hours each way is also a positive. The other factor to consider is that you do not know what the future price of gasoline will be next year so if gas goes over $4, the differntial will decrease significantly. As a user of AT and Amtrak, I feel the cost is justifiable based on the benefits. Good luck. I hope you get your wish.
Norwegian Dawn-2005
4 Night Land/ 4 Night Land/Sea Package - Aug 2006 AKL Concierge-Disney Wonder / Deluxe Family Stateroom
Aug 17, 2007 Explorer Of The Seas- 9 Night-Bermunda, St.Thomas, St.Maarten, Puerto Rico.
Aug 11, 2008 Norwegian Sky- Bahamas-Nassau, Grand Bahama Island
Polynesian Garden View Club .....July 21-July 28 ,2009
Norwegian Epic Western Caribbean 2010
Disney Dream- CR Club Level- Land/Sea August 25, 2012
NJBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #1416
NJBILL

Quote:
Forgot to ask if anyone has pix. of what the coach seats/cars look like and are there windows on both levels?
Yes windows on both levels. Try youtube for a lot of videos to see the train.
Norwegian Dawn-2005
4 Night Land/ 4 Night Land/Sea Package - Aug 2006 AKL Concierge-Disney Wonder / Deluxe Family Stateroom
Aug 17, 2007 Explorer Of The Seas- 9 Night-Bermunda, St.Thomas, St.Maarten, Puerto Rico.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #1417
loveysbydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBILL View Post
As a fellow cheapskate I do not think you can make the argument and win based on cost. Our autotrain trip for 5 this august is around $1,043 with our AAA discount RT. It is cheaper than flying from NJ. Based on your description, for gasoline up and back, hotel up and back, and lunch and dinner both ways it comes to about $700. A difference of $343. Not a big difference but still more expensive. Some of the positives to point out to your DH is that you have quality family time with your kids. I know we enjoy our AT or Amtrak ride and it becomes one of the great memories of the trip. You can also add that it is a new experience for the family to enjoy together. The relaxation factor of not driving 18 hours each way is also a positive. The other factor to consider is that you do not know what the future price of gasoline will be next year so if gas goes over $4, the differntial will decrease significantly. As a user of AT and Amtrak, I feel the cost is justifiable based on the benefits. Good luck. I hope you get your wish.
Thanks for all the great info! If we do just one way...from FL to VA it would be $512 in coach. If we drive I think it would be about $400-425 to drive, including meals and hotel and gas prices. Thinking I will just go ahead and book us on the AT home with my cc, will check out the refund policy first but I hate to wait and see prices go up! Now just to try and decide on upper or lower level
Also wondering if it would be worth it to buy a AAA membership to get a discount. Would anyone who has AAA get a price quote for me?? 2 adults, 3 kids on Sun. Oct. 28 from Sanford to Lorton with 1 car???

Last edited by loveysbydesign; 05-03-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #1418
NJBILL

Quote:
Thanks for all the great info! If we do just one way...from FL to VA it would be $512 in coach. If we drive I think it would be about $400-425 to drive, including meals and hotel and gas prices. Thinking I will just go ahead and book us on the AT home with my cc, will check out the refund policy first but I hate to wait and see prices go up! Now just to try and decide on upper or lower level
Also wondering if it would be worth it to buy a AAA membership to get a discount. Would anyone who has AAA get a price quote for me?? 2 adults, 3 kids on Sun. Oct. 28 from Sanford to Lorton with 1 car???
You do not need to put in a AAA memebership number to get the AAA rate quote. Just click on dropdown box that says Adult/Kid and select AAA Adult or AAA Child
Norwegian Dawn-2005
Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #1419
loveysbydesign

Quote:
You do not need to put in a AAA memebership number to get the AAA rate quote. Just click on dropdown box that says Adult/Kid and select AAA Adult or AAA Child
I;'m looking on the Amtrak website and I don;t see anything where I can choose AAA. Just asks me # of people in the dropdown box
I did find on the AAA website that it says you get 10% passenger rate but no the car...so it would save us $34.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #1420
NJBILL

Quote:
I;'m looking on the Amtrak website and I don;t see anything where I can choose AAA. Just asks me # of people in the dropdown box
I did find on the AAA website that it says you get 10% passenger rate but no the car...so it would save us $34.
put passenger info in and hit go button. select your vehicle type and continue to passenger information screen
Norwegian Dawn-2005
Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #1421
loveysbydesign

Quote:
put passenger info in and hit go button. select your vehicle type and continue to passenger information screen
got it Thanks..was right, will save us $34.30 Now gotta find out how much a membership is in my area.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #1422
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Also really not sure if we should choose lower or upper level??? Thinking lower level would be better in case ds has to use the potty at night...are there any other perks to upper or lower? I can't find the part in this thread that discussed it before! Is the lower level quieter? Prefer less going on so hopefully my kids will sleep better!
yes, go ahead and book the AT now, if you can. Prices will most likely only go up from there. If they do go down, you can call Amtrak and have them put the cheaper price on your tickets.

Yes, they are refundable up until either one week or day of ... I keep forgetting which, but it should be on-line or someone else on here will let you know.

We were in DC the other day and gas was $5.35/gallon Around here it is $4-$4.10/gallon (or Costco/Sam's Club under $4). Another reason to purchase your tickets now, in case AT decides to raise their prices to cover future rising gas costs.

You can see a whole lot more from the upper level and that is where the lounge car and dining cars are. The upper level feels more open (IMO) and if there are other kids it's great for your kids to play together. At 9pm the train lights will dim and it's generally accepted that voices are quieter as everyone knows the kids are trying to sleep. People will walk through your car more, but that also provides more "entertainment" along the way - hehe.

Lower level is mostly elderly or people w/o kids or older kids. View is not as good but it's generally quieter -- except for old people shouting b/c they can't hear each other . It doesn't seat as many so less people. You can spend your time in the lounge car/dining car looking out anyway at the upper level, so it's not like you can't see everything on the upper level at all on your trip.

We do the family rooms which are on the lower level but seem to spend most of our time in the lounge car and dining car anyway b/c we enjoy the view more up on top.
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #1423
loveysbydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
yes, go ahead and book the AT now, if you can. Prices will most likely only go up from there. If they do go down, you can call Amtrak and have them put the cheaper price on your tickets.

Yes, they are refundable up until either one week or day of ... I keep forgetting which, but it should be on-line or someone else on here will let you know.

We were in DC the other day and gas was $5.35/gallon Around here it is $4-$4.10/gallon (or Costco/Sam's Club under $4). Another reason to purchase your tickets now, in case AT decides to raise their prices to cover future rising gas costs.

You can see a whole lot more from the upper level and that is where the lounge car and dining cars are. The upper level feels more open (IMO) and if there are other kids it's great for your kids to play together. At 9pm the train lights will dim and it's generally accepted that voices are quieter as everyone knows the kids are trying to sleep. People will walk through your car more, but that also provides more "entertainment" along the way - hehe.

Lower level is mostly elderly or people w/o kids or older kids. View is not as good but it's generally quieter -- except for old people shouting b/c they can't hear each other . It doesn't seat as many so less people. You can spend your time in the lounge car/dining car looking out anyway at the upper level, so it's not like you can't see everything on the upper level at all on your trip.

We do the family rooms which are on the lower level but seem to spend most of our time in the lounge car and dining car anyway b/c we enjoy the view more up on top.
Thank you for all this info! Maybe I will just book lower level...then it can be an adventure to go up to the upper level. I didn't realize there was a lounge car that anyone could go up to, sit at and look out. Plus it will kill some time having to go back and forth between the levels! My kids don't do well with alot of noise and such when they try to sleep and they are all early to bed type kids so if we're on the upper level and there are other little ones crying and such I fear it may bother them. They'll be 13, 10 and 5 when we travel.
UGH..decisions, decisions!

Last edited by loveysbydesign; 05-03-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #1424
NJBILL

Quote:
Thank you for all this info! Maybe I will just book lower level...then it can be an adventure to go up to the upper level. I didn't realize there was a lounge car that anyone could go up to, sit at and look out. My kids don't do well with alot of noise and such when they try to sleep and they are all early to bed type kids so if we're on the upper level and there are other little ones crying and such I fear it may bother them. They'll be 13, 10 and 5 when we travel.
UGH..decisions, decisions!
I don't remember actually 'selecting" upper or lower. I thought they were assigned at the station. I could be wrong as it has been a few years.
Also if the train is crowded and you have 5 people (like us) someone will sit next to a stranger, so I usually get the pleasure..
Norwegian Dawn-2005
Old 05-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #1425
loveysbydesign

Quote:
I don't remember actually 'selecting" upper or lower. I thought they were assigned at the station. I could be wrong as it has been a few years.
Also if the train is crowded and you have 5 people (like us) someone will sit next to a stranger, so I usually get the pleasure..
It lets me choose either option when I do a mockbooking online

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: