Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #931
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Mastercar points............

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylady1972 View Post
Well fingers crossed...I applied for the Continental Mastercard online this week but am waiting...didn't get instant approval. We have excellent credit...so it might just be that I applied on my own with just my salary and didn't factor in DH at all...figured I'd add him after the fact for the extra 5K points. Hoping I can get it...and then transfer my miles to him or he can transfer to me and with THAT we should have enough that we could book two bedrooms on the trip home! That would be great! That would mean no driving at all this trip. Especially since the prices for the trip home are so expensive. Just need to get the miles all here and transferred in enough time that there are still rooms left to book. The Saturday travel is really hurting us. Might just have to stay in Disney an extra night and take the Sunday train instead!

I think I'm going to go ahead an upgrade to rooms for our trip down. I found out yesterday they would let us book two roomettes for our family of five, since it's 2 adults and 3 kids. Two kids can easily sleep together on one of the beds...they are small enough kids. I figure we'll really only be in the rooms mostly when sleeping anyway...we plan to wander and check out the train the rest of the time.

DH would rather have a room with the bathroom, but I don't think it's necessary and don't want to spend the extra money right now. Not when we still have many other Disney expenses. I still have to get our Disney tickets purchased!

So excited about this train travel first time experience now! Can't wait to see the kids expressions when they learn about it too!
I'd check but my understanding on getting the card...points are not awarded until after your first trip.....they don't give you the card and points at the same time....I believe it states after first travel.....check so you don't get surprised with a huge bill.....roomettes are very small...they come with a toilet right in the same cubby hole they call a room, no privacy...other should leave the roomette while someone uses the facility....above the toilet is a pull down sink, which you have to crawl up to get to the upper berth....seats 2 quite well but anymore is not comfortable no matter how small they are...just to forewarn you......we've done roomettes a few times but any more....there's more open space in coach....the sleeper car with roomettes on both sides make for a very narrow hall.....people can not pass...

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #932
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
roomettes are very small...they come with a toilet right in the same cubby hole they call a room, no privacy...other should leave the roomette while someone uses the facility....above the toilet is a pull down sink, which you have to crawl up to get to the upper berth....seats 2 quite well but anymore is not comfortable no matter how small they are...just to forewarn you......we've done roomettes a few times but any more....there's more open space in coach....the sleeper car with roomettes on both sides make for a very narrow hall.....people can not pass...
I just double checked the the Amtrak website and the only room option that includes a toilet and shower is the Super Liner Bedroom.

The roomette and the family bedroom use the shared bathrooms.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #933
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Facilities on regular Amtrak.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
I just double checked the the Amtrak website and the only room option that includes a toilet and shower is the Super Liner Bedroom.

The roomette and the family bedroom use the shared bathrooms.
We switch trains in DC to head south, and every single time we've gotten a roomette, a toilet was in the room....that's Train 98 and 97 Silver Service/ Palmetto....Sivler meteor and Silver Star....shower was communal at the end of the car.....sink in roomette....

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #934
NJBILL
Always Keep An Eye To The Sky

All roomettes have a toilet.
Norwegian Dawn-2005
4 Night Land/ 4 Night Land/Sea Package - Aug 2006 AKL Concierge-Disney Wonder / Deluxe Family Stateroom
Aug 17, 2007 Explorer Of The Seas- 9 Night-Bermunda, St.Thomas, St.Maarten, Puerto Rico.
Aug 11, 2008 Norwegian Sky- Bahamas-Nassau, Grand Bahama Island
Polynesian Garden View Club .....July 21-July 28 ,2009
Norwegian Epic Western Caribbean 2010
Disney Dream- CR Club Level- Land/Sea August 25, 2012
NJBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #935
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
We switch trains in DC to head south, and every single time we've gotten a roomette, a toilet was in the room....that's Train 98 and 97 Silver Service/ Palmetto....Sivler meteor and Silver Star....shower was communal at the end of the car.....sink in roomette....
The auto train uses different cars. They are 2 level Superliner II sleepers.

The roomette does not have a toilet, as I posted only the regular bathroom does.

This page explains the difference.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241267399802

I looked at the Viewliner rooms and I see what you mean about the toilet.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #936
DC7800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBILL View Post
Actually, only Roomettes on Viewliner sleeping cars, such as used on single-level trains like the Silver Star and Silver Meteor, have a (unshielded) toilet in the room. Superliner sleepers, such as the cars used on Auto Train, do not have a toilet in the room.

All bedrooms have both toilet and shower, except Family Bedrooms (found only on Superliners), which have neither toilet nor shower.
DC7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #937
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBILL View Post
Not on the Autotrain, see post above.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #938
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylady1972 View Post
I think I'm going to go ahead an upgrade to rooms for our trip down. I found out yesterday they would let us book two roomettes for our family of five, since it's 2 adults and 3 kids. Two kids can easily sleep together on one of the beds...they are small enough kids. I figure we'll really only be in the rooms mostly when sleeping anyway...we plan to wander and check out the train the rest of the time.

So excited about this train travel first time experience now! Can't wait to see the kids expressions when they learn about it too!
Best of luck on your travel...remember if they only offer meals for 4 people (not the 5th person), then just share. My DD5 was allowed to order off of the adult menu (nothing says she has to do the childrens menu) and then you'll get a larger portion to share.

another confirmation that the Roomettes DO NOT have toilettes in them. See my pictures I posted of the roomettes several pages back. There are rooms that sleep 3 that have a toilet in them. If you want the Family Bedroom that sleeps 4, then you do not get a toilet.

Personally, I see no need to have a toilet in your room. There are 5 (maybe 4?) on each train and that is plenty. No need to have those smells, etc in your small room anyway.
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #939
Cupmom
DIS Veteran

Any codes out for summer discounts??
Old 03-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #940
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Roomettes absolutely don't have bathrooms on the AT. They're very small. We had a roomette in 2006. We've found traveling coach that going downstairs to the bathroom isn't a big deal. On a full train, the toilets can have issues. Worst we've seen was one backed up a little. But that was only once out of 6 trips (3 round trips).
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #941
danjfoley
Earning My Ears

I'll be on the auto train may 1st.. heading to disney. On my own. Family is flying..I have one of the cheapest rooms, and bring a mini van. Cost is right around $1000 round trip.

Just letting you all know Maybe i'll see someone in the lounge...
danjfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #942
Ducky4Disney
-->Place Tag HERE!<---

Hope I made the right choice!

We're now booked to take the Auto Train this September! And that's not the choice in question, I think we're going to enjoy the AT. I knew if I waited any longer the price would go up and then be sold out completely so I made the leap and booked it. From what I understand, I can rebook and save some money if the price goes down, so now I'll keep an eye out for that (here's to hoping!).

Here's the part where I hope I did the right thing:

I booked 2, one-way trips; there and back. The trip south was very reasonable with a Family Bedroom ($231) but the trip north was another story; $653 for a Family Bedroom! Just a few days ago it was $443 and I missed it so this way, if the Family Bedroom price drops for the northbound trip, I only have to rebook that reservation, not the whole thing.

Was that a good idea or just a little more work for no real benefit? Having never done this before, I wasn't sure how rebooking worked. Didnt' know if I had to completely cancel and rebook or what. If I did that, I didn't want to lose a good southbound rate in the process.

Maybe I'm over thinking this; wouldn't be the first time.

I'd love to see a cheaper northbound bedroom!

D4D
Ducky4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #943
Henlady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky4Disney View Post
Hope I made the right choice!

I'd love to see a cheaper northbound bedroom!

D4D
Sorry, but I seriously doubt that a cheaper northbound bedroom will come up. AMTRAK sells their rooms on a tier basis. The first few are at the lowest rate, then so many at the next and so on...... For May '10, we booked a roomette for the way south but the roomettes north were about $261 so I booked coach traveling north. When we arrived at the station for our north bound return, I checked to see if any rooms were available, hopeing for a lower rate. They had 3 available rooms going for $753 each. The agent agreed that it was a rediculous rate, but said that he was almost 100% sure that those 3 rooms would be booked by the time the train departed.

For our May '11 trip, we chose a family bedroom and paid $229 for it and was told that after that there was only 1 remaining family room left at that rate. 3 days later it went to $335, and now about a month later it is $653.

A couple of years ago, the AutoTrain rates were pretty much equal going both directions. They are now much more for northbound travel. I still don't understand that reasoning.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #944
Wiloughby1
Challenge Accepted

It depends on the time of year. Northbound is more in the spring when the snowbirds are going home. Southbound is more in the fall when they are heading to the beach.

best to call at the 11month mark exactly. We got the only family room at the $231 price at 7am for our April/May 2011 trip.
First Trip Big Red Boat/ Caribbean Beach 1989-Caribbean Beach 1990- Caribbean Beach 1992- Disney Institute 1995- Off site 1999-All-Star Movies (First Grown-Up trip) 2000-With my own little boy Off site 2009- POFQ/Off site 2011-Disneyland Portofino June 2012- Offsite/POR Sept/Oct 2012- Disney Dream/FW Oct 2014
Wiloughby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #945
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henlady View Post
A couple of years ago, the AutoTrain rates were pretty much equal going both directions. They are now much more for northbound travel. I still don't understand that reasoning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiloughby1 View Post
It depends on the time of year. Northbound is more in the spring when the snowbirds are going home. Southbound is more in the fall when they are heading to the beach.
I did a little experiment, I priced some trips through out the year and north bound was always more expensive. It seemed like during peak northbound times it was just even more expensive.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: