Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2004, 12:08 PM   #76
lkc0538
Disboards addict!

It was a trip for 4, total cost was around $650, booked nearly a year in advance! This price includes all meals on the train and your car.
lkc0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 04:49 PM   #77
Lisa BC
Mouseketeer

We just booked the AutoTrain for our trip this November.

I'm really hoping that all of the construction will be done by then, maybe it will bring improvment to the tracks?

We really don't like to fly, and the thought of two days of driving on I-95 didn't seem too appealing either, so we opted for the train. This will be our first time on the Auto Train, but we've travelled by Amtrak before so I hope we won't be too distressed about the bumps and swaying. We travelled to Ohio recently on the Lakeshore limited and found the ride to be fairly smooth, but the train was very crowded...basically sold-out.

For the auto-train, I reserved lower level coach seats, but I'm thinking about booking a sleeping compartment on our way back from Disney, I'm just trying to justify the hefty price tag.

I hope they'll have a traditional Thanksgiving meal on our way to Florida since we'll be traveling on Thanksgiving day. Anyone have any idea if we should expect a crowd on the train since we're traveling Thanksgiving Day?

Also anyone have thoughts about having the tickets mailed versus picking them up at the station upon our arrival?

Thanks for your assistance!

Lisa
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2004, 02:30 PM   #78
Credit Man
Love the shark reef
Needs a map to grocery shop
Went on a life-changing cruise

Hi, Lisa.
We always get the tickets mailed to us. There is something comforting about having the tickets in hand.
I can't answer your question about a Thanksgiving meal, however, I bet the train is not crowded.
Credit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:58 AM   #79
lkc0538
Disboards addict!

We went down on 4th of July, and there were definitely less people on that leg of the trip than on the way back. However, they remove cars from the train based on attendance. We found the cars of equal amount of people both on the 4th of July, and on the way back. In both instances, it seemed they made an effort to leave empty seats on all trains so people could spread out to sleep.

I would definitely want tickets in hand-a family traveling with us, made reservations at the same time in conference call over the phone. We opted to have them mailed-thank goodness. Her family's tickets came with the wrong date on it- 2 weeks earlier going down. If she just went to the station, I'm afraid it would have been quite a mix-up!

I have no idea about meals!
lkc0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:33 PM   #80
Lisa BC
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the input!

I think I'll call and have the tickets mailed to us... I know our reservation is correct, but I'd sure hate to have a mix-up. Especially on Thanksgiving Day!
Old 07-22-2004, 07:33 AM   #81
christinou
Is now a Tag Fairy believer and is a proud member of the Duct Tape Patrol!
Mickey is the only mouse for me!

Hi Lisa, we are also from Ithaca, small world, and we have taken the auto train a number of times, we really enjoy it, I would have the tickets mailed, because they will not take your car, until they see your tickets, so it might be easier to have them in hand. If you go on a day that it is not crowded, then you can spread out, and have 2 seats per person which gets very comfortable.....
Have a great trip.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:44 PM   #82
Lisa BC
Mouseketeer

Hi Christine!

We live outside of Ithaca in Enfield... it is a very small world!!

Do you normally drive to DC the day your train is departing, or do you drive down the day before?

We can stay at my SIL's the night before. I love my SIL, but I'd much rather stay in my own bed, and get up at the crack of dawn and drive to DC.

Any thoughts?

I was planning on 7 hours of drive time to Lorton from Ithaca. I don't think we'll hit a lot of traffice in DC since it will be Thanksgiving day... but you never know.

Lisa
Old 07-29-2004, 02:59 PM   #83
jjnv
Mouseketeer

Disney Cruise by auto train

This is a great thread. I am glad to find some many expert with first hand experience.

Has any one taken the auto train arrving the same day as the cruise day? I am planning on the Jan 27th 3 day cruise. We live in Northern Virginia. The price of the auto train for 4 of us is very close to the air fair. It would save me the $ and hassle of finding a hotel room and rental car. Arriving one day before is out of the question since my time off from work is very limited. I would rather catch a flight the night before instead.

What is the longest delay any one experienced on the auto train?

Many thanks for your help,

Jane
jjnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:01 PM   #84
cherylp3
Florida Resident

I do not recommend taking the train the same day as your cruise day.

I've been delayed once. It was 9 hours.

I've also heard of 12 hour delays.

If you need to rent a car and hotel - Check out the Radisson at the port - they have an Avis drop off.

Cheryl

DVC Member Cruise 2003 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007
cherylp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 11:39 PM   #85
kwdietrich1
It's that darn mouse!!!! I have to see him!

Are there ever any discounts for Dec travel? We're still willing to pay full price, but would love to save some money if possible.

TIA
Old 07-30-2004, 11:29 AM   #86
jjnv
Mouseketeer

Thanks a lot Cheryl for your input. I will have to rule out the train this time. I am so glad I asked though. I thought it would be great to drive to our cruise directly in our own car. I read the whole thread and have not seen any one complain about serious delay. 9 hours delay is beyond my husband's tolerance level. It could ruin the vacation.

Thanks again,

Jane
jjnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:45 AM   #87
cherylp3
Florida Resident

You are welcome. As for delays they do happen very infrequently but I'd hate to see anyone delayed and miss their cruise.

I heard about the 12 hour delay from another couple when I was delayed.

The Radisson was a great hotel, I stayed there in Feb abot a year and a hallf ago, it was clean and comfortable. And the Avis dropoff and shuttle is great too.

Enjoy your cruise, we had a great time on our cruise!!

Cheryl

DVC Member Cruise 2003 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007
cherylp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 06:33 PM   #88
LisaNJ25
DIS Veteran
I paid $300 back in 1992. I had the big Jersey girl hair and all

Hi everyone! I am looking to booking the auto train for 11/25 and 12/3,

We took it home from Disney in 9/02.

This trip I will be booking for 5 of us. I will have a 3 month old infant. I know there is no charge for an infant under 2 but will they give me a seat for her? And how would they seat a family of 5? Last time when we went we were a family of 4 and were 2 and 2 in a row.

Also I dont remember but are the seatbelts? This way I could strap the infant car seat in over night.

o 2001 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2001 - Disneyland
o 2002 - Caribbean Beach/Wilderness Lodge
o 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2008 - Pop Century
o 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2012 - Windsor Hills
o 2013 - Pop Century
LisaNJ25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 08:27 PM   #89
disneywith6kids
Mouseketeer

lisanj25
make sure you look at amtrak.com and get the discount 2 children ride free for every 1 adult -I believe it is for AAA members only-have fun!
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'November 13,2003 7:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Been there, done that, going back AGAIN!! </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Happy Thanksgiving !!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
disneywith6kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 08:51 PM   #90
Hennalady

Hi LisaNJ
We were on the AutoTrain on January 6/7, 2004.
There are NO seatbelts on the train. If you request seating in the lower level of the train there might be a little more room to set the car seat on the floor.
There is no "thru" traffic (people passing thru your car on the way to lounge or diner) on the lower level, so it would be quieter.

We enjoy traveling by AutoTrain. We started when our children were about 5 and 6 yrs.
They are now 21 and 22 and still love traveling by train. Our next trip will be in Oct, 2005 on our way to our first DL Cruise. We have always traveled coach, but next time DH and I are trying a standard bedroom.

Have a great trip.
Hennalady is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: