Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2010, 07:02 AM   #796
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daraddg View Post
I thought I read all passengers on the auto train have meals included but have seen a couple blogs where people talk about the dining for sleeper cars only...am I mistaken do only sleeper cars get meals included? And is there a crowd predictor site anywhere for the auto train ? Wondering if I am going during a busy time of year? The rate down to fla are good but jump on the way back.We would go down around aug 22 and come back sept 2 or 3.
Everyone gets two meals. A full dinner and a continental breakfast.

The sleeper passengers get a better choice of selections than coach. You may have been reading a blog that was for a non autotrain trip.

As for the rates, I guess its the times I have gone or checked out rates but up is always more expensive than down.

I've found this site to have the best info about the AT http://www.on-track-on-line.com/autotrain-tips.shtml
Old 11-08-2010, 07:12 AM   #797
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daraddg View Post
I thought I read all passengers on the auto train have meals included but have seen a couple blogs where people talk about the dining for sleeper cars only...am I mistaken do only sleeper cars get meals included? And is there a crowd predictor site anywhere for the auto train ? Wondering if I am going during a busy time of year? The rate down to fla are good but jump on the way back.We would go down around aug 22 and come back sept 2 or 3.
The Autotrain, unlike other Amtrak trains, includes a sit-down dinner and a continental breakfast for all passengers. On most Amtrak trains only sleeping car passengers get free meals, all others pay for their meals.

The Autotrain has two different dining cars, one for first-class (sleeping car) passengers, the other for Coach passengers. The food is ok in the coach diner and good to very good in the first-class diner.

i don't know about a crowd predictor for the Autotrain but I have found that weekends cost more than weekdays.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #798
christinou
Is now a Tag Fairy believer and is a proud member of the Duct Tape Patrol!
Mickey is the only mouse for me!

Meals are included for all passengers, the dining rooms are different for coach and sleepers, but everyone gets a meal. I find the autotrain very safe, I think that part of the safe feeling, is that the train does not stop, so you don't have people constantly on and off.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #799
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

If you have ridden in coach, what does everyone wear to sleep? Do you change for "bedtime"? Just wear comfy clothes the whole time and not change? How does that work? I'll be on the AT at this time next week, so I need to know!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #800
lpizzuro123
DIS Veteran

We generally wear jeans and a t-shirt with a sweatshirt over it. I also usually wear crocs and my DH wears sneakers. It usually gets cold during the night. They do provide very thin blankets and tiny pillows. We always say we are going to bring our own but we never do. Next time though I think I will bring a throw. When sleeping I just leave on what I have on. Sometimes I take my shoes off but you need to put them back on if you are moving around the train. That is why I just like something I can stick my feet in.

The restrooms are downstairs. There is one large one that is handicap - but I usually like to use that one. There are two or three very small rooms and then there is one with a "lounge" for ladies only. In that one there is a vanity with two sinks and two stools and then a toilet in its own little stall. This is the one I usually use at night to take out my contacts and remove my makeup. Yes, I do wear my contacts and makeup on the train. I never leave home without it. If you are traveling with kids you might want to use the large one and take the kids in with you. I don't think you can get more then one person in the smaller rooms.

Depending on how crowded the train is, you should be able to get more then one seat per person. When we went down this past October the train was very crowded so we only got two seats. On the way home the train was empty so we got two seats each. This makes it alittle more comfortable for sleeping.

Also, I have not read through the whole thread but usually they try to keep people with kids in their own car (also depending on how crowded the train is).

We love the Autotrain and plan on taking it again this coming February for our next vacation.

Linda

lpizzuro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #801
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by labdogs42 View Post
If you have ridden in coach, what does everyone wear to sleep? Do you change for "bedtime"? Just wear comfy clothes the whole time and not change? How does that work? I'll be on the AT at this time next week, so I need to know!
I did not see a single person change. Honestly I would not want to change. You are in a small bathroom of dubious cleanliness while being bumped around the small space. We just wore comfy clothing. My DS in sweatpants, t-shirt and sweatshirt. I had on yoga pants, t-shirt and sweatshirt. Both of us had slip on shoes we took off to sleep. We also each had a full size pillow and fleece blanket we brought from home. My advice would be to bring your own. It might seem a hassle but at 3am you will be very glad you did What they have on the train are tiny doll size pillows and rough little blankets that get handed out each trip with only the tiny pillow case being changed. As far as I saw the blankets were folded nicely and put back on the shelf to get handed to the next group of people. Why else would the conductor spend 20 minutes folding them so nicely? When we got to WDW I took all our clothing, pillows and blankets and washed them in hot water first thing.
lucyem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #802
Henlady
DIS Veteran

I also take a flat sheet and cover the seat (backrest and actual seat part) with it. It is much more comfortable and "clean" to be against your own sheet than against a seat that probably thousands of people have occupied before you. I just fold it up along with a throw and place it inside the pillowcase of the pillow that I take. All nice and compact.

Henlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:00 AM   #803
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
I did not see a single person change. Honestly I would not want to change. You are in a small bathroom of dubious cleanliness while being bumped around the small space. We just wore comfy clothing. My DS in sweatpants, t-shirt and sweatshirt. I had on yoga pants, t-shirt and sweatshirt. Both of us had slip on shoes we took off to sleep. We also each had a full size pillow and fleece blanket we brought from home. My advice would be to bring your own.
OK, cool. That's what I was thinking. Dress comfy and sleep in our clothes. We are planning to bring our own blankets and pillows as well. Thanks so much! I'm getting so excited! 6 more days!
Old 11-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #804
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Do folks change to sleep in the bedrooms, or is is usually the same, sleep in comfy clothes?
I have read that the trip form the AT to WDW is about an hour. Is that correct?
Does anyone have suggestions about a grocery on the way to/near WDW? We will be staying at BCV and want some groceries for our Villa.
TIA,
This is a great thread.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #805
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
Do folks change to sleep in the bedrooms, or is is usually the same, sleep in comfy clothes?
I would say yes since you have the privacy of a door and no one is going to see you in your jammies or or what ever you do or don't wear to bed.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #806
sraiford
Mouseketeer

We just wore a dressy sweatsuit~ They were really comfy plus with a zip jacket you take it off or keep it on depending on the temp. We also took our own pillow to sleep on!
Old 11-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #807
MinnieGi
DVC/BWV & HHI

Quote:
Does anyone have suggestions about a grocery on the way to/near WDW? We will be staying at BCV and want some groceries for our Villa.
TIA,
This is a great thread.
We are taking the autotrain next month and have a sleeper car. I am bringing pj's for the kids as my kids will not want to sleep in their clothes even if they are comfy. That is just my kids though. They have balked at other times I have mentioned that sleeping in their sweats would be just fine - they need to have their pj's!!!
8 Trips while growing up,11/94 Dixie Landings (honeymoon); 11/01 WL; 10/02 OKW; 2/03 AKL; 2/04 BWV/OKW; 2/05 AKL/BWV; 10/05 JW Marriott;1/06 WLV; 7/06 BWV; 2/07 - FW Cabins;08/07 HHI; 11/07 BWV/SSR, 06/08 - HHI, 11/08 - BWV, 06/09 - HHI, 06/10 - HHI; 12/10 Christmas at BLT; 06/11 Disney with the dance girls and DD dancing up Main St. in MK parade!!! 11/11 Thanksgiving in WDW!! 6/12 in HHI! Christmas in Disney 2013!; HHI - April 2014; and Coming UP: Thanksgiving Week 2014!
MinnieGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #808
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
TIA,
This is a great thread.
I would not change even in a sleeper. But thats just me. I imagine some people do change, especially kids.

It was just under an hour from the train to AKL.

For grocery shopping I know there is a Target and other similar stores around WDW. I would probably wait, get through Orlando and shop closer to the resorts.
lucyem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #809
DizneySoulMates
Earning My Ears

Beverages aboard the Auto Train

Hi. We are taking our first trip aboard the Auto Train in December. Can't wait!!! I have a question regarding the beverages available in the sleeper part of the train. I have read that they have coffee and tea available 24/7. How about soda? Is that available 24/7? TIA

Past Trips:
Animal Kingdom Lodge - Dec. 2010
Animal Kingdom Lodge - Oct./Nov. 2011
Port Orleans French Quarter - Oct./Nov. 2012
DizneySoulMates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #810
kkleiner
Mouseketeer

Sleeping 5

Hi, Is it the case that the only way to sleep 5 is to have a bedroom suite or to have a family bedroom and 1 roomette? Hard to get pricing that way online, as you can't pick 2 rooms for 1 booking?

Of course coach is an option but I don't think anybody would get sleep...

Thanks.
1992 - Dixie Landings - Honeymoon
1994 - Dixie Landings / Contemporary
1999 - Grande Vista with family
2002 - Grande Vista with wife!
2004 - Calypso Cay and Contemporary with family
2006 - Calypso Cay and Silver Lake with my family
2007 - Silver Lake with my family and Clearwater Beach with my parents!
2009 - Liki Tiki Village!
kkleiner is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: