Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2003, 08:00 AM   #31
DVC Chris
Mouseketeer

I think the longest you can reserve is about 360 days out (or something like that!) But it is just less than 1 year from your travel date.
DCL-Wonder -3/08
DVC-WLV 12/07
DVC-BWV 10/06
DVC-WLV 12/05
DVC-VB 10/05
DVC-SSR 12/04
DVC-OKW 12/03
DVC-HHI 5/03
DVC-BCV 12/02
DVC-WLV 12/01
WL, 9/00
Treehouse Villa, 9/98
BWV, 12/95
Treehouse Villa, 7/94
Polynesian 93
Yacht Club 92
Royal Plaza 92
GF/ CBR 91
Hilton/ CBR 90
GF 89
Off Site: 88
DVC Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 09:03 AM   #32
cherylp3
Florida Resident

I think it is a Its 11 monts on the website, ( I tried)- I was able to check prices for August 2004
You may be able to book more in advance by calling Amtrak.

Also you are very welcome for the thread, I thought it would be useful to try to get the information all in one place.

DVC Member Cruise 2003 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007
cherylp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2003, 09:39 AM   #33
flaps
He became "the one" when I said my vows
besides, wardrobe malfunctions are, like, so...so last (football) season

Thanks, DVC Chris and cherylp3, for your quick replies!

And thanks for taking the time and effort to check how far out you could find rates for, cheryl. I wondered about calling, but from some things I've read here and there, it seems like it may be better to book online? (I read somewhere that someone got a quote through their AAA office, then checked online at Amtrak's site and found it cheaper there. Too, I've noticed recently that there is an additional 5% discount for booking online now for travel up to--I think--April 2004, so I'm thinking I'll just wait a few more months before trying to book.)

Hey, the other day I was browsing the Amtrak website and noticed on the "Rail Sale" page that the AT had a listing for one-way from Sanford to Lorton. I can't recall if you've noted the possibility for a flexible traveler to perhaps get a good deal at some point in that way. Just thought I'd mention it.

Again, thanks for your help.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:56 AM   #34
cherylp3
Florida Resident

yes both Rail Sale and Amtrak on ebay are listed on the main page. I agree booking online is the way Amtrak wants to go.
I think I had to maybe call in once because my discount wasn't right.

Old 09-19-2003, 05:07 PM   #35
flaps
He became "the one" when I said my vows
besides, wardrobe malfunctions are, like, so...so last (football) season

I've noticed Amtrak on eBay as well. I think you've got the AT pretty covered here.

Thanks for the heads up 'bout the possibility of a discount mix-up.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:44 AM   #36
meandtheguys
Dear lady, the Tag Fairies are everywhere, see everything and when possible, tell all!!!! ;)

Well, we are back from an awesome trip! Loved the autotrain, although we, the adults did not sleep. The kids did great! The train was much too bumpy for me to sleep and made loud crashes every once in awhile. That being said, on the way home I didn't worry about sleep. Read for a few hours and dozed a little bit the rest of the night.

The food was very good for mass produced food.

I don't know if we would take it again for awhile due to the bumping, but it is an experience that we will not forget! It was a very relaxing way to get from here to there!

Michelle
Old 10-08-2003, 09:38 AM   #37
Credit Man
Love the shark reef
Needs a map to grocery shop
Went on a life-changing cruise

Just booked the AutoTrain for our Aug, 2004 trip. Our 4th on the AutoTrain. I know it is far out, but the fare was good and our kids LOVE it.
Credit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:44 PM   #38
cherylp3
Florida Resident

Just an update. My inlaws had to suddenly come up to NY from FL.

The trains from Sanford - Lorton aren't crowded but Lorton - Sanford may be more crowded since the snowbirds are headed home.

They left VA on the 15th.

Old 10-24-2003, 06:36 AM   #39
disneywith6kids
Mouseketeer

We accidently flew into those snow birds on our way home this past May We didn't realize when we planned our trip that they existed The train was packed! Anyway, now that we do we were very careful about the timing of this trip. We're leaving on a Thursday after after Jersey week and Veteran's Day to travel south. Then we're coming back after the Thanksgiving Day rush. Hopefully we will miss all the snow birds(I really love them) but it sure is nice to be able to spread out on the auto train when it is not crowded
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'November 13,2003 7:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Been there, done that, going back AGAIN!! </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Happy Thanksgiving !!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
disneywith6kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 10:12 PM   #40
Almosthere
Earning My Ears

We're taking the Autotrain this weekend. A few questions:

1. I think I read that the seats are assigned when you checkin. I'd like to get a seat with an outlet so I can play my DVD player. Can I request that? Do all seats have them? Or is this just going to be luck of the draw?

2. Can you bring a cooler on the train? I'd like to bring water and some gingerale in case I get motion sick.

Thanks so much! This thread has been very helpful!
Almosthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:51 PM   #41
Credit Man
Love the shark reef
Needs a map to grocery shop
Went on a life-changing cruise

Almostthere,
I believe that there is one seat in each coach car that has an outlet next to it. I do not know which seat it is but am sure you can request it. We bring a small cooler on board every trip and it has never been a problem.
Credit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 09:29 AM   #42
cherylp3
Florida Resident

I am back..

current movies lorton - sanford is Bruce Almighty

Sanford - Lorton -is the inlaws

Kosher meals - I chose Chicken for both meals..

checking in I forgot to mention my dinner but they came down and flagged me.

The mean Consits of
a setup which includes
Gilfita fish ( which hubby says is excellent)
roll and pareve maragine
fruitcup
spring water
and dessert given is fruit roll

Chicken entree consists of 2 small pieces of chicken
Rice and vegetables

Cheryl

Old 12-05-2003, 02:14 PM   #43
meandtheguys
Dear lady, the Tag Fairies are everywhere, see everything and when possible, tell all!!!! ;)

thinking about taking it again! Guess those bumpy nights just drift away in my memory! Have a good day!

Michelle
Old 12-05-2003, 02:39 PM   #44
cherylp3
Florida Resident

Yeah I agree the ride has definitely gotten bumpier.

Thank goodness for Bonine!!

Old 12-05-2003, 07:01 PM   #45
disneywith6kids
Mouseketeer

Just back from the Auto train . I can say for sure that the ride has become extremely bumpy even since the spring. I couldn't sleep at all on the way home. They also make their stop around midnight now. We were on time both ways but unloading the cars was long and dreary. They only had 4 people working today and that was horrible since we had to drive home to NJ in the snow storm. You would think they would have wanted to get us all going asap. We arrived in Lorton around 9am but it took an hour to get our SUV and we were about the 30th car to be called out of 180. We did miss the snow birds and the train seemed empty. I am a little concerned about the rocking going on especially right before going over a bridge. Next time I go if I can---I will definately get something to knock me out cold. BTW my DF had the same problem jumping in his sleep everytime we went over a bridge. The rest of the gang was out cold (lucky them). Ear plugs are a must unless you want to be jolted awake at 3 am by the sound of a roaring freight train 6 inches from your window. The staff was great. The only regret we have is that they still don't offer Closed Captioning for the movies so my Df wasn't able to enjoy the movies. I will wait for an excellent price to do it again otherwise I'm flying.
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'November 13,2003 7:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Been there, done that, going back AGAIN!! </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Happy Thanksgiving !!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
disneywith6kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: