Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #1801
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
So If I'm heading N towards Allentown PA from Lorton VA I should head 123N to N Fairfax Prkwy to 15N to 81 N to 78E?
When I look it up on Google it takes me 495 to 270 to 15N and up. I'm trying to find those other roads, can;t find where 123 meets up with Fairfax and Fairfax meets up with Dulles toll road... Is there a lot of airport traffic going this route? HELP!
Ok, I think I was able to find it on Yahoo maps...for some reason on google maps it would not cooperate!

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #1802
renda460
Mouseketeer

I have a question I hope someone can answer. I believe no paper ticket is needed for the autotrain anymore. (My conf email for my reservation said this.) However I made a change to my autotrain reservation and the new conf email has a bar code on it and said I had to scan it t a ticket kiosk. does anyone know if I have to do something different in terms of tickets, checking in, etc since I have a modified reservation? I tried calling Amtrak but the person I spoke with had no clue about any of this. Thanks
Jan 1998 - All Star Sports; Feb 2003 - All Star Movies; Sept 2004 - Villas at WL; Feb 2005 - Pop Century; Dec 2005 - Carribean Beach and OKW; Nov 2006 - WL and Disney Wonder; Nov 2007 - VWL for Thanksgiving; Feb 2008 - Saratoga Springs; Jan 2009 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; Aug 2009 - Disney Wonder and Bay Lake Tower;
April 2010 - Animal Kingdom Kidani Village; Feb 2011 - Bay Lake Tower; Aug 2011 - DISNEY DREAM -CC double dip!!; Feb 2012 - Board Walk Villas; Feb 2013 - Disne Dream and Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; Feb 2015 - Treehouse Villas and Disney Dream.
renda460 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #1803
jad215
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by renda460 View Post
I have a question I hope someone can answer. I believe no paper ticket is needed for the autotrain anymore. (My conf email for my reservation said this.) However I made a change to my autotrain reservation and the new conf email has a bar code on it and said I had to scan it t a ticket kiosk. does anyone know if I have to do something different in terms of tickets, checking in, etc since I have a modified reservation? I tried calling Amtrak but the person I spoke with had no clue about any of this. Thanks
We made two reservations since we used points one way (we did this last year as well). The one booked via points confirmation e-mail has the bar code, but the one booked just via the website does not. We have taken the auto train twice and although I'd recommend printing and taking your confirmations with you just in case there is a problem, we have never been asked to show our confirmation e-mail or have our confirmation number available. Our experience has been when you drive up to the booth at the station, they already have all your information there and hand you a booklet with it already on it which you present at the check in desk inside when they give you your dinner vouchers and they will write your room/seat assignment on there as well. Sleepers are assigned at booking which I already have, but they write it on there anyway. Hope that helps!

jad215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #1804
Tink's Pixieduster
Haven't a clue why it would be there
WAKEY, WAKEY!! RISE AND SHINE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renda460 View Post
We have also made changes to our AT reservations and no, you do not have to scan the bar code at a kiosk. I think the wording is generic and intended for regular passenger trains. When you arrive at the AT station all you need to do is give the attendant your name, but to be safe we always print out the email with the bar code on it and bring it with us. We've never needed it.
Tink's Pixieduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #1805
la79al
DIS Veteran

Yay! Just randomly checked prices for our already booked fare, made a call and got $350 back! Ironic because I posted on here complaining about fares going up literally the day before we booked. The price still isn't as good as it was but better than it was when we booked so I'm happy .
Old 10-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #1806
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by la79al View Post
Yay! Just randomly checked prices for our already booked fare, made a call and got $350 back! Ironic because I posted on here complaining about fares going up literally the day before we booked. The price still isn't as good as it was but better than it was when we booked so I'm happy .
Wonderful! I am so worried about booking at the 11 month mark and then Amtrak having a sale. At least this puts my worries a little bit to rest. So glad for you!

Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
FigmentChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #1807
KangaFan
Hoping to someday be as patient as Kanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl1977 View Post
Does anyone have any personal experience traveling the autotrain with a baby? We are going to Disney for his 1st birthday in Nov. We will be traveling coach. Any advice or/and suggestions is most welcome!

Thanks!
If you haven't already, you may want to book lower level seats & consider checking in early so you can request the last row in your compartment. There's a large space on the floor behind those seats. The last time we took the train, we had the four seats across the back of the compartment and were able to put sleeping bags for our children down behind the seats & they slept great there. Our daughter was 8 at the time & I was able to snuggle next to her until she fell asleep so I'm sure one of you could easily sleep there with the baby. In fact, I was much more comfortable on the sleeping bag with my daughter than I was in the seats. Good luck!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #1808
famouschinesec
Mouseketeer

auto train

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangaFan View Post
If you haven't already, you may want to book lower level seats & consider checking in early so you can request the last row in your compartment. There's a large space on the floor behind those seats. The last time we took the train, we had the four seats across the back of the compartment and were able to put sleeping bags for our children down behind the seats & they slept great there. Our daughter was 8 at the time & I was able to snuggle next to her until she fell asleep so I'm sure one of you could easily sleep there with the baby. In fact, I was much more comfortable on the sleeping bag with my daughter than I was in the seats. Good luck!
We did the same thing 2 years ago.
famouschinesec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #1809
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

We are thinking about taking the autotrain roundtrip. Since arrival to Sanford would be in the morning, do you think it would be feasible to plan on going to a park in the early evening (MK or Epcot), or do you think we would be too tired from the long ride down to visit a park that day? Thanks!
2Pirates2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #1810
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Heading down for the drive from PA to FL now! Taking the At home for the 1st time ver on the 28th!!!

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #1811
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Pirates2Princesses
We are thinking about taking the autotrain roundtrip. Since arrival to Sanford would be in the morning, do you think it would be feasible to plan on going to a park in the early evening (MK or Epcot), or do you think we would be too tired from the long ride down to visit a park that day? Thanks!
Depends. We usually plan on relaxing, but in 2007, we did the HDDR the day we got there, so much fun. Depends on how you sleep. I think an evening in the park would be doable.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #1812
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Pirates2Princesses View Post
While you may not get a good night's its not like you have been in a car all night. When we took the AT down we went straight to DQ, ate lunch at EoS, my sons went back to DQ and my wife and I checked into our off site room and then went back.

I see no reason not to go to a park that afternoon. You could go directly to a park after checking in but the main issue is that, unless you have a sleeper car, you don't get a shower that day.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #1813
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle

While you may not get a good night's its not like you have been in a car all night. When we took the AT down we went straight to DQ, ate lunch at EoS, my sons went back to DQ and my wife and I checked into our off site room and then went back.

I see no reason not to go to a park that afternoon. You could go directly to a park after checking in but the main issue is that, unless you have a sleeper car, you don't get a shower that day.
Thank you for your reply. I am thinking that if we arrive in the morning and hopefully if our room is available that we can get settled in, shower, and rest a little before heading out to MK or Epcot for dinner and at least a few hours of park time.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #1814
vacationer1954
DIS Veteran

If you're going to have a sleeper room, then I cannot see why you wouldn't be able to head to the parks right after lunch. We have done so two years in a row, now.
vacationer1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #1815
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer1954
If you're going to have a sleeper room, then I cannot see why you wouldn't be able to head to the parks right after lunch. We have done so two years in a row, now.
We would most likely travel coach. There are six of us so it would be too pricey for us to get multiple sleeper rooms. Thanks for the feedback though. :-)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: