Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #1786
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

There is some room under the seats by the window and under the couch. The closet is only about 10" deep, so not for storage only for a jacket or two.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #1787
Merl1977
Earning My Ears

Does anyone have any personal experience traveling the autotrain with a baby? We are going to Disney for his 1st birthday in Nov. We will be traveling coach. Any advice or/and suggestions is most welcome!

Thanks!
9/03 - Old Key West
9/04 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club Villas
11/06 -All Star Movies
9/09 - Port Orleans Riverside
11/12 - Celebrating my baby's 1st birthday!
8/13 - Pop Century
11/13 - Art of Animation to celebrate our little guy's 2nd Bday!!!
12/13 - Saratoga Springs
1/14 - Yacht Club - First RunDisney 5k
6/14 - Caribbean Beach
Planning for 11/14 for our son's 3rd birthday and my first half marathon!
Merl1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #1788
KSL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK View Post
There is some room under the seats by the window and under the couch. The closet is only about 10" deep, so not for storage only for a jacket or two.
Ok, thanks! So, if my children bring small-ish carryons (back-pack sized), maybe they would fit in there. I just don't want to clutter the whole area with stuff when there will be five of us and kinda snug as it is. So if I can at least stash their little bags in the closet, that would be good. Then I'll pack for DH and me in one smaller duffle and we can just keep that on the end of the sofa-seat and should be fine.

Does anyone know: are there hooks for hanging jackets/handbags/etc.?

Thanks!!

Aug '06 ASMovies (DH, me & DD1 trip) / June '07 POR (10th anniversary trip) / Aug '08 POP (DH, me & DD2 trip) / Aug '10 CBR (DH, me & DD3 trip) / Aug '11 Split Stay AKV/BLT (whole family, finally!) / Feb. '12 OKW / July '12 GCH (no kids!) / BWV/BLT split stay Aug '13 / YC May '14 (SWW!) / planning VGF/BLT split stay July-Aug '14

KSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #1789
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSL View Post
Ok, thanks! So, if my children bring small-ish carryons (back-pack sized), maybe they would fit in there. I just don't want to clutter the whole area with stuff when there will be five of us and kinda snug as it is. So if I can at least stash their little bags in the closet, that would be good. Then I'll pack for DH and me in one smaller duffle and we can just keep that on the end of the sofa-seat and should be fine.

Does anyone know: are there hooks for hanging jackets/handbags/etc.?

Thanks!!
I believe the closet has hangers in it. But it's been a while since I've been in a Family Bedroom.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #1790
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

I think there is one hook at the door or near the door, in the FB. If not there, then it is in the closet. It's one of those where you press in on the bottom and top comes out.
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #1791
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

For Family Room travelers: bring a small electrical extension cord (we use the kind that has 3 outlets on one side). For some reason there aren't many outlets in the Family bedroom that I recall.

There were plenty in Coach but like only one or two in the FB.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #1792
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl1977 View Post
Does anyone have any personal experience traveling the autotrain with a baby? We are going to Disney for his 1st birthday in Nov. We will be traveling coach. Any advice or/and suggestions is most welcome!

Thanks!
Yes, we took our 9 month old girl in coach with us for our first trip. It wasn't bad. Our 2nd trip we decided to do a Family Bedroom instead and were MUCH, MUCH happier, even with the extra cost.

Anyway, for a baby, you want to have pillows. My daughter and I couldn't get comfortable on the seat next to each other, so I made a nest on the floor for her with my boppy pillow, jackets, blanket and stuffed animals. It worked great until she woke up for her midnight feeding and crawled under the seat to the person behind me. Thankfully, they were nice enough about it.

But other people (the elderly grandparents who weren't so nice) would make comments to each other loudly, about how crazy we were to bring a baby into coach. (They were really upset that they were on the upper level, since the train was full, but still...no need for snide comments).

Pack extra clothes and diapers, snacks ... more than you ever think you will use b/c if for some reason you get delayed (tree on track, hurricane, accident with a separate CSX train that delays you, etc) you will be glad you have them. You won't be allowed to go to your car to get more.

Bring lots of baby wipes, too.

Most babies/kids will sleep soundly b/c the rocking of the train will lull them to sleep.

If your baby starts to fuss alot and cry, try taking walks. Hopefully, the change of scenery will help. Just like on an airplane with a crying baby, the same on a train can be stressful for everyone.

Don't bring a stroller -- there is not much room for one on the train and really there is not that much walking -- just from the lobby to the train and back again.

HTH. If I think of something else, I'll let you know.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #1793
KSL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
For Family Room travelers: bring a small electrical extension cord (we use the kind that has 3 outlets on one side). For some reason there aren't many outlets in the Family bedroom that I recall.

There were plenty in Coach but like only one or two in the FB.
Ooooh, super-helpful tip, thank you! I'll make a note of this somewhere (is it too soon to start packing? Trip is only 10 mos. away! )

Aug '06 ASMovies (DH, me & DD1 trip) / June '07 POR (10th anniversary trip) / Aug '08 POP (DH, me & DD2 trip) / Aug '10 CBR (DH, me & DD3 trip) / Aug '11 Split Stay AKV/BLT (whole family, finally!) / Feb. '12 OKW / July '12 GCH (no kids!) / BWV/BLT split stay Aug '13 / YC May '14 (SWW!) / planning VGF/BLT split stay July-Aug '14

KSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #1794
Merl1977
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
Yes, we took our 9 month old girl in coach with us for our first trip. It wasn't bad. Our 2nd trip we decided to do a Family Bedroom instead and were MUCH, MUCH happier, even with the extra cost.

Thank you! That was super helpful. The floor was one of the things I was wondering about...if there would be enough room to put him to sleep there. I even considered those pea pods or something similar but wasn't sure about the room. Sorry you had to deal with cranky people. I think I would have told them if they paid the extra fare I would be happy to move...LOL. If you think of anything else please let me know!
9/03 - Old Key West
9/04 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club Villas
11/06 -All Star Movies
9/09 - Port Orleans Riverside
11/12 - Celebrating my baby's 1st birthday!
8/13 - Pop Century
11/13 - Art of Animation to celebrate our little guy's 2nd Bday!!!
12/13 - Saratoga Springs
1/14 - Yacht Club - First RunDisney 5k
6/14 - Caribbean Beach
Planning for 11/14 for our son's 3rd birthday and my first half marathon!
Merl1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #1795
mykidslovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl1977 View Post

Thanks!
We just finished our 9th AT trip to WDW last month. When ds5 was 14 months we traveled coach. The foot rest of the chairs will swing all the way up and create a wall for the seat bottom. We put our pillow down then layed DS on the seat bottom. the foot rest in the upright position will keep him from rolling off. DH and I alternated during the night sitting/sleeping next to him. I also took my baby carrier (pikkolo) with me to wear him while traveling btwn cars. You really do need both hands at times to keep your balance while traveling btwn cars. It also came in handy at the station when it was nap time - he slept well and my hands were free.

I wouldn't sleep a baby on the floor unless he/she was in sometype of contained baby item. I would be worried about the baby rolling a foot or hand out into the aisle and having someone step on him/her. Or having them wake up and crawl away while you sleep. DS still sleeps on the seat bottom and the foot rest is level with the seat bottom.

definitely pack extra of any baby needs. You never know what type of delay you may have. That first AT trip when ds was 14 months. our return train was cancelled due to a tropical storm. We made it out 5 days later. talking with the sleeping attendant he said the Southbound train was 17 hrs delayed on the tracks!! We always made sure we had more formula/diapers/snacks that what we would normally need. Make sure you have extra set of clothes for yourself in the event you need them. THere are changing tables in a few of the bathrooms but I am not sure how easy it is to use them. THe bathroom is very tight. we layed a blanket down and changed him on the seat or floor. We also took Pj's for him so he knew it was bed time. favorite blanket/toy came along too. Getting them to sleep is fairly easy due to the rocking of the train.

I wouldn't worry about those around you that complain about a baby. Can't make everyone happy. If your son gets crying/cranky you can always walk the train. They try to sit families together.

The ride is 17 hrs but broken down fairly well. Boarding starts around 230pm
train leaves by 4 pm (earlier if everyone is boarded). Dinner is 5/7 or 9pm. Lights go dim in coach by 9pm. We usually sleep till 630ish and then find out where we are for arriving. If we are on time or early we start getting up and go grab breakfast. Otherwish we hang out a little long but then run into having to wait for a table at breakfast. this last trip I was up a few times during the night and it was neat to GPS us on the cellphone to see where we were. Many people say 17 hours! but most of it is during the night.

I would also pack a few small toys that he can play with too. We usually took a few thomas trains with us and he was good with that.

hope this helps! let me know if you have any other ?'s
2000-CSR, 2002 All Star Sports
2005, 2006, Old Key West, 2007 OKW as DVC mbrs
2008 -OKW- thanks TS faye for extending our stay!!
2009- AKV 8/5-8/13, 2010- OKW 8/11-8/20
2011- AKV 8/2-8/12 2012-SSR 8/15-8/23
2013-POR-R 7/27-8/4 and AKV-Kidani 8/4-8/9
2014 AKV-Kidani 7/28-8/8
My Disney loving kids- Matt-24, Jordan 15, Sam 13, Belle 11 & William 7

Belle said "Quick mom stop the car, Get on that bus!!"
Mom " Why do we need to get on that bus?"
Belle "Because it is going to Disney World"
mykidslovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #1796
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Looking forward and getting nervous about our 1st time taking the AT! We're taking it from Sanford to Lorton on Sun. Oct. 28th!
Any extra tips for us 1st-timeres

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #1797
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
Looking forward and getting nervous about our 1st time taking the AT! We're taking it from Sanford to Lorton on Sun. Oct. 28th!
Any extra tips for us 1st-timeres
Try this http://www.on-track-on-line.com/autotrain-tips.shtml

Not sure anyone could go back through 120 pages and find anymore tips.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #1798
loveysbydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Try this http://www.on-track-on-line.com/autotrain-tips.shtml

Not sure anyone could go back through 120 pages and find anymore tips.
Thanks! I have read through almost everything in this thread but I know things can change from year to year

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #1799
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
Thanks! I have read through almost everything in this thread but I know things can change from year to year
It may be better if you posted some of your concerns even if its already been covered.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #1800
loveysbydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlazar View Post
that works so long as you aren't driving west on the bay bridge on a sunday afternoon.

Another alternative from the NE is 78 west to 81 south, then 15 south out of harrisburg. Once you get into virginia you can go east on the dulles toll road, to the fairfax county parkway south, to 123 south to get to Lorton. we find driving from NoVa up 15 to NY/NJ is about the same travel time as going up I-95.
So If I'm heading N towards Allentown PA from Lorton VA I should head 123N to N Fairfax Prkwy to 15N to 81 N to 78E?
When I look it up on Google it takes me 495 to 270 to 15N and up. I'm trying to find those other roads, can;t find where 123 meets up with Fairfax and Fairfax meets up with Dulles toll road... Is there a lot of airport traffic going this route? HELP!

Last edited by loveysbydesign; 10-03-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: