Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #1711
imlazar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalspot View Post
If you are coming from NY/NJ I HIGHLY recommend an alternate route down RT 1 to 301 and across the Bay Bridge to RT 50 to 495 and then 95 rather than fighting Baltimore/DC traffic.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=w...ia=1,2&t=m&z=9

We live in DE and NEVER travel 95.
that works so long as you aren't driving west on the bay bridge on a sunday afternoon.

Another alternative from the NE is 78 west to 81 south, then 15 south out of harrisburg. Once you get into virginia you can go east on the dulles toll road, to the fairfax county parkway south, to 123 south to get to Lorton. we find driving from NoVa up 15 to NY/NJ is about the same travel time as going up I-95.

Doubletree Disney: 2/04
Saratoga Springs: 2/05
Disney Magic Eastern-turned-Western: 9/17/05
Wilderness Lodge Resort: 3/06
Disney "Double Dip" Western: 11/11/06
Coronado Springs Resort: 4/07
Disney Magic Eastern: 01/19/08
Disney World (Hampton Inn): 8/11
Disney World (Fairfield Inn): 8/12
imlazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #1712
ClearScreen
DIS Dad #461
An E-Ticket Attraction in my own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentChick View Post
I remember this! I live on the DE-NJ state line (when you cross the DE Memorial Bridge, wave to me....I live along the river on the Jersey side. LOL).

Anyway.....if any of you get stuck in Delaware, feel free to send me a PM. I know the roads like the back of my hand and can get you off the Interstate (I-95), around the ruckus, and back on (preferable, after the DE-MD tolls) with no problem.

I know most everyone has GPS now, but I wouldn't mind helping at all. I also know it's a freak thing that doesn't happen that much, but when it does.....it's a mess!!!

I am so glad you made it down in time for boarding. Hubby & I are going back and forth on what time we should leave for our trip next year. According to my directions, it should take a max of 3 hours to get down there. I don't want to leave before 10, but it might not be my call to make. I'm not known for my patience, and sitting around waiting to board would drive me up the wall.
Thanks.

The first time we made the trip, we left at 5:30 or 6:00am. We got to Lorton around 11:30am and sat with two cranky and bored kids in the terminal for a few hours. Never again. Our plan now is to get there early, grab lunch outside the terminal, then get to the terminal by 1:30-2:00 to get a good dinner reservation time and minimize the waiting.
ClearScreen (Chris) - DIS Dad Club Member #461 - Me(44), DW(45), DD(12), DS(9)

1976 - 2 trips stayed off-site. September, 2000 - Wilderness Lodge. August, 2010 - Contemporary. August, 2012 - Swan. August, 2014 - Coronado Springs

Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons.
ClearScreen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #1713
ClearScreen
DIS Dad #461

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafke View Post
We were on the same train and got stuck in the same delay. I95 was closed for about 8.5 hours. It didn't reopen until after 11:30. We left LI around 6am. We hit the backup just before the rest stop. Luckily this rest stop is in the middle of the north and south I95. We pulled in to the rest area and looked up alternate routes. We ended up going back one exit and taking some back road. All in all we lost about 30 minutes... arrived in Lorton around 12:30.

For Mrs.viv07...
You can leave NY around 6am-7am and have plenty of time to get to Lorton.
We have done the trip twice and stop for breakfast when we get to MD. This allows time for DC and Baltimore rush hour traffic to clear.
I didn't realize how bad it was until I was past the Rest Stop and stuck in the thick of it. The traffic report on the radio said they were allowing one lane through, so I thought I'd just let it ride since we had given extra time, rather than back up on the shoulder to get to I-95 north.

After sitting there for nearly two hours, the whole family was on the verge of tears and we were making plans to drive the whole way down. Luckily, they opened I-95 completely and we passed the accident point with little traffic the rest of the way.

1976 - 2 trips stayed off-site. September, 2000 - Wilderness Lodge. August, 2010 - Contemporary. August, 2012 - Swan. August, 2014 - Coronado Springs

Old 09-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #1714
dalspot
We're going back!

And if you were doing this, you'd have missed your boarding time on the AutoTrain anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlazar View Post
that works so long as you aren't driving west on the bay bridge on a sunday afternoon.
December 14-20 2009 CBR
November 4-11 2014 FW

dalspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #1715
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

Quote:
Another alternative from the NE is 78 west to 81 south, then 15 south out of harrisburg. Once you get into virginia you can go east on the dulles toll road, to the fairfax county parkway south, to 123 south to get to Lorton. we find driving from NoVa up 15 to NY/NJ is about the same travel time as going up I-95.
We're in the Allentown, PA area, so that's the route we take. WAY better than 95!!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #1716
shafke
Morituri Nolumus Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearScreen View Post
I didn't realize how bad it was until I was past the Rest Stop and stuck in the thick of it. The traffic report on the radio said they were allowing one lane through, so I thought I'd just let it ride since we had given extra time, rather than back up on the shoulder to get to I-95 north.

After sitting there for nearly two hours, the whole family was on the verge of tears and we were making plans to drive the whole way down. Luckily, they opened I-95 completely and we passed the accident point with little traffic the rest of the way.
They were exiting all traffic off of I95 at exit 1. A couple of miles before the rest stop there was an electronic sign that indicated that I95 was closed at exit 1 and to tune the radio to some station... I didn't catch the number. We pulled in to the rest stop to check alternatives. I talked to someone coming out of the building and they said their friends had been sitting in the traffic for an hour and a half. A quick check with google maps found a road that paralleled I95 all the way to the MD border.
Wilderness Lodge: Oct '02
Carribean Beach: Apr '05
Polynesian Resort: Aug '07
Fort Wilderness Cabins: Aug '10
Paradise Pier: Feb '13

My Disney Pics on SmugMug

The sky is blue because any other color would be stupid.
shafke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #1717
ClearScreen
DIS Dad #461

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafke View Post
They were exiting all traffic off of I95 at exit 1. A couple of miles before the rest stop there was an electronic sign that indicated that I95 was closed at exit 1 and to tune the radio to some station... I didn't catch the number. We pulled in to the rest stop to check alternatives. I talked to someone coming out of the building and they said their friends had been sitting in the traffic for an hour and a half. A quick check with google maps found a road that paralleled I95 all the way to the MD border.
Saw that and put on the radio. Listened to a few different channels. One said they had one lane going through and another said they expected it to open soon. We were kicking ourselves for not getting off at the Rest Stop and doing what you did.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #1718
barb007
Mouseketeer

We intend to take the auto train next summer for our Disney trip. It's hard to imagine that it the same price to take the train (w/a sleeper both ways) & fly out of Newark, pay for parking, baggage fees & car rental!

We plan to leave central NJ on a Sat next August & drive to Lorton....I'm assuming a 6am departure is good w/plenty of time to arrive...esp if we take 95 on a Saturday??
barb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #1719
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb007 View Post
We intend to take the auto train next summer for our Disney trip. It's hard to imagine that it the same price to take the train (w/a sleeper both ways) & fly out of Newark, pay for parking, baggage fees & car rental!

We plan to leave central NJ on a Sat next August & drive to Lorton....I'm assuming a 6am departure is good w/plenty of time to arrive...esp if we take 95 on a Saturday??
How central NJ are you? Keep in mind, you could always take 78 through PA then down 81.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #1720
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thank you for posting those directions. I've been perusing the map and trying to figure out a way from my house to avoid DC and just wasn't seeing a viable route. 15 is very convenient for us.

Dh is gung ho on driving and I want to try the train. I am thinking that if we come home on the train, Saturday might not be too bad a day on these roads.

Last edited by pwdebbie; 09-05-2012 at 07:54 AM.
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #1721
Mrs.viv07
DIS Veteran

Ok one more question and this one is probably silly. I plan on showering the night before we leave. ( I decided well just leave the day of around 6 am to give us p,ent of time...thanks for all the advice btw) anyway we have a family bedroom booked but I was wondering if anyone has pics of what the showers look like? I thought our room had its own shower/ bathroom but they don't just the "community" ones which is fine but how comfortable is it to shower in there? Are they like locker room showers? How many are there? Or are they private showers to use meaning only I would be in there? Hope that makes sense. The diagram doesn't make sense...maybe it's me being miserably sick and it's not making sense to me.

Viv DH DS DS DD

7 angels watching over us; including our daughter Kiara born sleeping jan 4, 2013

read our blog :http://vivnmichaelsworld.blogspot.com/

Before you leave an angry comment, read my entry at least twice to make sure you understand what I am saying, or accusing me will just make you sound really stupid. If reading it twice is too tedious for your brain, well what can i say. =)

follow my pre-trip report as i go crazy over planning for sept 2012:http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post45093687

read about our Jan 2007 trip here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1553770
Mrs.viv07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #1722
la79al
DIS Veteran

I am trying to coordinate transportation with us taking the AT but also picking up/dropping off people at MCO . So if I get to Lorton at noon, that should be great, right? Am I going to go crazy trying to entertain 2 small children until we can get on the train/train leaves? Once we get to FL, we should be pretty close to 9:30? And then worse case scenerio 1.5 hours until we are ready to leave the station? On the way back, what time should we leave Disney to get to Sanford at a decent time? I'm ready to tell everyone in our party that they have to take the AT with us but they can't all take an extra day off work and I'm not willing to give up a Disney day .
Old 09-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #1723
denise5374
Dares to say CRUISE out loud
Don't go back to lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb007 View Post

We are about 25 miles NW of Philadelphia and took the PA turnpike to the Blue Route to 95 and the trip was less about 3 hours on a Saturday morning. We left our house about 8:45am and got to the Lorton station about 12:30. We had no traffic. According to Google maps, the trip is 180 miles.

denise5374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #1724
barb007
Mouseketeer

We are located right in the middle of NJ (where 287/78 intersect)...so we can take 78 to 81 (but I find this out of the way..I hate going west to go south) or take 29 to 95S. But if we leave around 6-6:30am that should give us time...according to mapquest it's about a 4-4.5 hour ride.
barb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #1725
denise5374
Dares to say CRUISE out loud
Don't go back to lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.viv07 View Post
Ok one more question and this one is probably silly. I plan on showering the night before we leave. ( I decided well just leave the day of around 6 am to give us p,ent of time...thanks for all the advice btw) anyway we have a family bedroom booked but I was wondering if anyone has pics of what the showers look like? I thought our room had its own shower/ bathroom but they don't just the "community" ones which is fine but how comfortable is it to shower in there? Are they like locker room showers? How many are there? Or are they private showers to use meaning only I would be in there? Hope that makes sense. The diagram doesn't make sense...maybe it's me being miserably sick and it's not making sense to me.

The community shower is very small, stand up shower. I didn't measure it but it is maybe 36" by 36" with a shower curtain. It is contained in its own little room that has a shelf and mirror but the whole area is maybe 6' by 3'. I am about 5'3" and I had difficulty maneuvering to get dressed in the dressing area. There is only 1 shower per train car and 4 toilet, they are on the lower level of the train car, there is also one bathroom on the upper level.. I don't recall seeing (hearing) anyone use the shower.

We showered before we left home and then didn't shower again until we got to our resort room. The movement of the train makes walking difficult sometimes so I can't imagine trying to shower.

denise5374 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: