Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2005, 09:57 AM   #151
Ct_TiggerFan
Duct tape is like the force, It holds the universe together, It has a dark and light side,but "May the force be with you" sounds much better than "May you be covered in duct tape"
Invites Fairies to cruise with him

Thanks for the info. I just checked, and my savings are only $10.00

as I had booked back in Feb with AAA rates,

But it may help others, its always worth a try
Ct_TiggerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:37 AM   #152
dsnycrzy
W/4 kids who has time for anything else but planning our next WDW trip!

hello all,
i just picked up my tickets for the AT leaving 7/19th. My question is once in Sanford what interstate do you get on? Is it I-95 orI-4??? We will being going to the Nick hotel and I am trying to get the directions right but I have no idea what interstate the amtrak station is. This is my first time taking the AT.
Thanks
97-99-HOJO MGE ***00-POR/CRUISE***01-05-HOJO MGE ***06-NICK &HOJO MGE***07-POP/NICK/HOJO MGE *** 08-SUITES @OLD TOWN***09-POP/CBR ***10- NO TRIP &11-No Trip- BABY ON THE WAY 12- CBR/PORFQ/POP/SUITES @OLD TOWN***13-RPR/CBR &VACATION HOME***14-CBB/ASMu/AoA

dsnycrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2005, 07:36 AM   #153
christinou
Is now a Tag Fairy believer and is a proud member of the Duct Tape Patrol!
Mickey is the only mouse for me!

In Stanford you will get on I4 to get to WDW, it is about 45 minutes away, or you can get on the toll road, which is what we generally do, as I hate driving on I4.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:05 PM   #154
dsnycrzy

thax alot
97-99-HOJO MGE ***00-POR/CRUISE***01-05-HOJO MGE ***06-NICK &HOJO MGE***07-POP/NICK/HOJO MGE *** 08-SUITES @OLD TOWN***09-POP/CBR ***10- NO TRIP &11-No Trip- BABY ON THE WAY 12- CBR/PORFQ/POP/SUITES @OLD TOWN***13-RPR/CBR &VACATION HOME***14-CBB/ASMu/AoA

Old 06-30-2005, 10:07 PM   #155
AnnetteF
DIS Veteran

Dsnycrzy, I noticed on another post that you have a DD 1 1/2. We are also taking the Auto Train in September with our DD who will be exactly 18 mos. when we leave. I was wondering what your plan was for her on the trip. Are you traveling coach or do you have a sleeping compartment? We decided to go coach thinking that she is too small to sleep in a bed by herself anyway so if we have to hold her, we might as well just go coach. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
AnnetteF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:08 AM   #156
dsnycrzy

annettef
I have her coloring books and crayons. I also got her a new doll with hair (she likes doing their hair). I have a walkman for her with some of her favorite songs disney and otherwise. Iam also bring my laptop so she cam watch Finding Nemo and Madagascar. My DD12, DS9 and my neice who's 3 is going also, So she will probably be looking out the window with them. I have some snacks and her sippy cup and her well need pacifer for those cranky/sleepy moments and thats it really.

Old 07-01-2005, 06:40 AM   #157
wifeofjack
Mouseketeer

AnnetteF, we are going the same time and I am considering the AutoTrain. I hate to drive so hubby ends up doing most of the driving and that makes for a very fussy man upon arrival in Orlando.
I am curious, when did you book your trip and if you don't mind my asking, what was the approximate cost of the trip? I have done some price quotes but cannot decide if this would be a cost effective thing for us to do.
We really enjoy having our car there and this trip we want to go over to the West coast of FL to visit with friends, so the autotrain looked like it would be a good thing for us to do.
Thanks for any info..........
wifeofjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:47 PM   #158
erinch
DIS Veteran

We'll be on our 6th autotrain trip on 7/12! Can't wait. Our DD is now 9, but she was 9 months old the first time we went, coach. We requested a bulkhead seat, and she slept in her carrier (extra room for the bulkhead, but no footrests.)

If child is too big for a carrier, we've never been on the autotrain that there weren't extra seats available to snag 2 seats. The kneerests can be pulled way up to make a kind of seatguard so the child won't roll off.

One big tip I have is to bring a washcloth or other piece of soft cloth to tuck between the 2 seats. If you do get 2 together and try to stretch out on them, there's a hard metal bar in between which gets really uncomfortable.

Re watching movies: I think there are 2 seats with outlets in each coach car. If you want one of those, you want to arrive early and request them.

On our last trip we were invited to do an upgrade to roommettes for not much extra. We loved it so much that we booked roommettes this time. Booking 5 months ahead, the cost for 1 child, 3 adults and a van at AAA rates was around $1400. Cost is now up to $1900 for the same trip.
erinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #159
AnnetteF
DIS Veteran

Dsnycrzy: I'm planning on bringing a lot of toys and things to amuse my DD also. Are you going coach? I would love to hear how it went when you return if you wouldn't mind posting then. Have a wonderful vacation! Thanks, again.

wifeofjack: We booked our trip at the end of May for departure on Saturday 9/3 returning on Monday 9/12 and are paying $520 for the 2 coach seats and the car. That is with the AAA discount. I began checking the rates on Amtrak.com in January and it didn't change from then to May, but they say waiting until closer to your trip will make the rates go up. Our DD doesn't need a ticket because she's under age 2. We usually drive but have done the Auto Train a few times on the way home. We like having our car, too. It's usually not more cost effective than driving ( or sometimes even flying and renting a car). I'm a VERY nervous flyer so we don't fly, but I thought between driving or Auto Train, we would do AT because DD won't be stuck in a car seat the whole time and the trip is a little shorter. If you decide to do it, maybe we'll see you on the train.

erinch: Thank you so much for all the helpful tips. That is exactly what I wanted to hear! I had read somewhere that the cars usually aren't full but I wasn't sure how true it was. I'm guessing that Sat 9/3 won't be too full because all the kids have just gone back to school - I hope I'm right. I'm so happy to hear about putting up the knee rests. Sounds like a great idea! I'll definitely bring something to cover the metal bar. Please let me know if you think of any other tips that might be helpful to us and have a wonderful time on your upcoming trip.
AnnetteF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:35 PM   #160
erinch
DIS Veteran

Here's my list of autotrain tips I compiled over the years.
Usual disclaimer--only my experience, may not match yours....

1. If you're riding coach, the biggest suggestion is to bring a blanket and pillow. None available on the train (tiny pillows, hard to sleep on they provide one of)

2. Get there early enough to get the dinner seating you'd like. We always go for the earliest one, in order to be through in time for the movie.

3. They do a really good job assigning people according to their age levels. When we've gone, we always get assigned to the "families from Heck" car, which is actually pretty good since my kids could meet other kids and maybe my exhausting to entertain daughter could go join someone else's family for a few hours. The other cars, the times we’ve been, are for families with older teens/gen xers/boomers and then another car for Builders (senior riders.) The folks in that car tend to try to land the early dinner slot. Many also get there early in the morning to check in, then wait for hours and hours and hours to get on.

4. You will be assigned seats in a car, which is great compared to the general free-for-all on other Amtrak routes. When you get on, you will probably discover, unless it's really full, that there are unassigned seats
across from the stairs down to the lower level and at the ends of the cars where the lights are brighter. Don’t hang back trying to snag a couple. We've successfully been able to do that everytime we've gone.

5. Since those seats are much brighter, I bring an extra large beach towel or lightweight dark colored blanket which I can hook over the luggage rail to hang down so the light isn't right in your eyes. I've been thinking that one
of the those lightshade masks to wear would be a good idea. If you get to stretch out on 2 seats, the seats are separated in the middle by a metal strip which is indented between the foam of the 2 seats and very uncomfortable. I bring a small baby blanket or hand towel to insert into the gap to make them level. Feels much better.

6. Once the train starts going there are free snacks in the lounge car--a yummy mix of pretzels, cheese doodles and cornchips. (My last time was just prior to 9-11 so am hoping they still do it.) You can bring bowls back to your seat. They don't announce they're putting them out. My son is allergic to cheese and nuts, so I bring different snacks for him.

7. Extra batteries for the walkmen, if the kids areinto that. (you can tell it's been awhile: charged up iPod and gameboy!) There is one plugin for a laptop per car, located in one of the seats, but it may not be available. If important try to chisel this info out of amtrak before you get there.

8. On one trip only we were in a car in which the seats were very worn and smushed down. We happened to discover the car behind us was completely empty, much newer, and got permission to switch over. If your car's not in the best shape look around for beter options. All the other times the car was very nice.

9. I bring lysol wipes for the bathroom. There is a ladies' "lounge" in each car with a long counter with room for makeup bags, etc. I get up early on the train---like at 6:30 (they announce breakfast at 7) and freshen up, change my undies, and exit feeling perky and ready to go for the day. I bring a separate smaller case in my carryon with all the toiletries in it to carry downstairs. I happen to be allergic to the amtrak soap (which is liquid with an almond base and smells lovely) and bring my own face soap, along with a hand towel and wash cloth.

10. Some people really like to snag the downstairs compartment, but I think it smells like a chemical toilet downstairs (which would be what is downstairs. We like upstairs much better.)

11. The service in the dining car can be rushed to the point of being almost rude (they have to turn around 2 or 3 seatings depending on the passenger load.) Since my hubby doesn't drink coffee I have him get a cup too so I have 2 cups, as refills very hard to get. They put a nice carafe of white wine on your table.

12. We were delayed by an hour and a half once getting into the station, but haven't experienced any of the horrendous delays. Waiting can be quite crowded, with a lot of heat outside where most of the seats are, and lots of crowds inside where it’s air conditioned. This is a good time to haul out the game boy game they haven’t seen for awhile, or a new book or magazine if you’ve got kids to keep entertained. There’s a small playground at at least one of the stations, but it’s been too hot to use when we’ve been there.

13. Our kids are now older and not early risers, so we let them sleep while we go have a nice breakfast (you share a table if you don't have 4); and bring them a “to go” tray back, which the staff is sometimes gracious about. I also bring breakfast snacky stuff in case I can't bring something back. Breakfast is cereal, bagels (not toasted but pretty good) bananas juice and coffee.

14. Traffic can be a nightmare getting into Lorton. There's an exchange (Springfield??) which has been under construction forever. We've twice waited to eat till we got that far, and got into a nightmare trying to get back on the freeway. If you're a AAA member find out what the status is this summer and find a better place for lunch. (There's no real food for meals at either station--some vending sandwiches, etc. Which makes no sense; why don't they do a cafe for people checking in and waiting for train? Captive audience?Big money??? Food is a little better at Lorton than Sanford. Plan ahead for the traffic. They mean what they say about the check-in times.)

15. The drinking water on the train tastes chemical; I bring bottled water.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:54 AM   #161
Mickey's Sister
DIS Veteran

Thanks erinch!

We've been considering doing the autotrain for our return trip in December & the roomettes & bedrooms are just way out of my budget (I'd rather spend that money at Disney, LOL) However, you really make coach sound do-able. I have 2 questions though.

I've been hearing many bad things about the rocking, rolling & bumping getting worse due to track maintainance. My son & I both suffer from motion sickness so this is really a concern. How bad is it?

Also, what kind of food do they serve for dinner?

Thank you again for all the information. Many of my ancestors on my dad's side - including my dad - were railroaders - so I think at least once in my life I should travel by train. My parents even met on the train so I guess you could say I wouldn't even be here except for trains, LOL.

Thanks again!

Jessica

"It's time to remember the magic!"

11/2000 - Chez Mickey; 4 - 5/2002 FW Cabins; 11/2003 Off-site; 11-12/2005 ASMU; 6/2009 Doubletree Suites DTD for SWW! ...but ALWAYS there in spirit!
Mickey's Sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:35 PM   #162
erinch
DIS Veteran

my DD takes dramamine and has never had "hot tummy" problems, which she always does in cars. I find the swaying much worse on the lower floor. It's never bothered me. I'd bring something for motion sickness, just in case.

Dinner, the last time I was on the train, was salad, rolls, a choice of entree: pot roast, chicken or veggie lasagna. Chicken fingers/fries for kids.

dessert was cheesecake or ice cream with chocolate sauce, strawberry sauce or plain. (One time there was a lemon cake to die for.)

We never minded coach. I found that by booking early we could get the roomettes for the same price as coach, booking later. It definitely helps to have a AAA discount.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Erin
Old 07-02-2005, 05:06 PM   #163
Mickey's Sister
DIS Veteran

Hi Erin,

Thanks for replying. Of course, now I have even more questions.

The dramamine is not a possibility for my son - he's allergic & breaks out in itchey hives But maybe there is something else I can find. Someone else on the DIS mentioned a new thing she tried that even allowed her to ride Mission Space Now if I can just find that thread again...

I was on the Amtrak web site & they state that meals are only included with 1st class seats - does that mean roomettes & bedrooms, can't find any other seats actually listed as first class. If so, what do meals cost in the dining car? Just curious... (Others have commented on that lemon cake! )

Also, how early can you check in? Once you check in do they take your car right away & load it? Or do you have to stay there with it? The reason I'm asking is that my youngest sister lives in Florida. So we could check in early and then have the whole day in the resort or DTD or whatever & she could drive us to the station when it was time to leave. Don't know if this is possible...But it would really stretch out our Disney time.

I just received my local AAA newsletter in the mail today & they've extended the kids free promotion with a paying adult, so it sounds even more do-able!

Thank you again for all your help!

Jessica

"It's time to remember the magic!"

11/2000 - Chez Mickey; 4 - 5/2002 FW Cabins; 11/2003 Off-site; 11-12/2005 ASMU; 6/2009 Doubletree Suites DTD for SWW! ...but ALWAYS there in spirit!
Mickey's Sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:02 PM   #164
erinch
DIS Veteran

on way out door, but answer to meals from amtrak site:

This sure beats rest stop food
The price of your Auto Train ticket includes your meals, no matter which class you travel in. In the evening, our expert chef will serve up a freshly prepared dinner including regional wines, vegetarian dishes and special dinners for the kids. And in the morning, enjoy a continental breakfast in the Dining Car before you begin your day.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #165
Henlady
DIS Veteran

Jessica
I believe they start taking cars for the AutoTrain at around 11:00am. Regular size cars need to be there before 3:00 and I believe vans/oversized vehicles must be there before 2:00. The AutoTrain starts boarding at about 3:00pm and leaves at about 4:00pm. I really don't think it would be feasible to drop your car off and go back to Disney as it can take 45 minutes to an hour each way. If you dropped off the car at 11:00 you'd get back to WDW at around 12:00 and have to leave again by 1:30/2:00 to be sure you were back in time. IMHO it would not be worth the hassle & stress of getting back on time to return to WDW for just an hour or so. If you are not there on time, the train will leave without you.

The meals on the AutoTrain are included for all passangers - Coach and 1st Class. And as erinch stated consist of 3 or 4 entree choices, wine and dessert. I do not recall getting a salad as a coach passanger on the last couple of trips, but there is enough food served to fill you up. They also have snacks available during the evening - munchies, fruit and cookies have been available in the past.

We are traveling by AutoTrain again in late October and will be using a roomette for the first time. We have always travelled by coach in the past so this will be something new.

Kris

109 days till we leave for our 30th Anniversary 4-Day Wonder Cruise and a few days at PO-R
Henlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: