Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #1531
nyfinfan
DIS Veteran

2 questions for the Autotrain experts:

1. we are traveling as 2 Adults 2 Kids...would you get seats across the aisle from each other or on the same side of the train?

2. I've read many posts that say you can bring a small cooler on board. I should probably call and ask them but how small of a cooler are we talking....size of a toaster or just one you can carry and not one with wheels?

Thanks in Advance!

Best Western/Cruise - June 1994
POR/Calabay Parc - Sep 2004
Formosa Gardens - Nov 2005
Windsor Hills - May 2007
HRH - Aug 2007
CSR - Aug 2009
Vista Cay - Oct 2011
nyfinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #1532
mykidslovesdisney
DIS Veteran

We leave in 28 days!! Aug 14th!! This is our 8th WDW Autotrain trip. Last yr we also took the AT to vacation at the beach. We do consider the AT part of the vacation not just a mode of transportation. We are really excited for the trip to come but at the same time it is a signal of the end of summer. When we return on Aug 24th - we return to school 5 day later.

nyfinfan-When you check in they will assign your seats. IF you have a preference ask if they can accomadate it. We are a family of 6 and usually we are across and behind/infront. IF the car is not full you can stretch out on the untaken seats.

As for the cooler- I would think a small cooler would be fine. If you are in coach you will have it at your feet - not sure it will fit in the overhead area. We always bring snacks/drinks on board but just carry them in a tote. the AT ticket includes your meals. There is a snack bar on board. Definitely not w wheels. The staircase is very narrow to the upper level.

HTH
2000-CSR, 2002 All Star Sports
2005, 2006, Old Key West, 2007 OKW as DVC mbrs
2008 -OKW- thanks TS faye for extending our stay!!
2009- AKV 8/5-8/13, 2010- OKW 8/11-8/20
2011- AKV 8/2-8/12 2012-SSR 8/15-8/23
2013-POR-R 7/27-8/4 and AKV-Kidani 8/4-8/9
2014 AKV-Kidani 7/28-8/8
My Disney loving kids- Matt-24, Jordan 15, Sam 13, Belle 11 & William 7

Belle said "Quick mom stop the car, Get on that bus!!"
Mom " Why do we need to get on that bus?"
Belle "Because it is going to Disney World"
mykidslovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #1533
vacationer1954
DIS Veteran

I definitely recommend a soft-sided cooler, not a hard-sided cooler. You'll need the flexibility to carry it and fit it in the least obtrusive place.
vacationer1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #1534
MsMulan
Mouseketeer

Missing you guys by a couple of days. We are leaving on Aug 9th. There are six of us using lower level coach. We will see how this goes!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #1535
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

Got really excited about the AT when the wife told me about it . But kind of disapointed with the price .

I would be traveling with my wife and 3yo son . Would they let me get the 2 person sleeper and a coach seat then we could s share the sleeper ?

Also anyone do coach with a 3yo did they sleep .

How much bigger are the coach seats from a plane I am 6'7" and dont realy fit in plane seat well (no leg room). I assume they are abit bigger . Should I request lower level.

BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #1536
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
Got really excited about the AT when the wife told me about it . But kind of disapointed with the price .

I would be traveling with my wife and 3yo son . Would they let me get the 2 person sleeper and a coach seat then we could s share the sleeper ?

How much bigger are the coach seats from a plane I am 6'7" and dont realy fit in plane seat well (no leg room). I assume they are abit bigger . Should I request lower level.
If you do coach and sleeper you will not be in the same area at all and the person in coach is not allowed to come back to the sleeper cars. Also, your meals will be separate as well, so 2 of you (wife and son?) would eat together and then you would eat with other people in a different dining car. Also, the snack car (snacks and movie) is separate as well.

You can get a roomette for the 3 of you...just call up Amtrak and tell them the 3rd is a 3yo and they should accommodate you (hopefully). I don't think you can do that on-line but can directly through the agents, or at least that's what someone else did in previous posts.

We did coach with my 1yo and we slept fitfully -- partly b/c it's coach and we are not used to sleeping sitting up and partly b/c she woke up in the middle of the night and crawled under our seat to the people behind us and then proceeded to cry b/c she didn't know where she was. I'm sure everyone in coach just LOVED that! Thankfully, she stopped as soon as I got her but it was scary that I didn't hear her get up that time (all the other times as soon as she moved it woke me up...guess I had finally fallen truly to sleep at that point).

So after that we did Family Bedrooms and loved it.

As for seats -- I am 6' tall and my DH is 6'6" tall and although the seats are much bigger than airline seats (esp if you are lucky enough and get 2 of them) and they also have knee and leg rests -- (I hate to say this) but you will not be comfortable.

The seats are not made for tall people. The knee and foot rests are made for the average height person, along with the head rest. You will find a LOT more leg room, which is nice. In general the seating is the same whether top or bottom. I recommend upper level if you have a kid with you -- he might find a friend to play with (as most non-kids go in the lower level) and there is a lot more to see from the upper level.

I highly recommend you upgrade to the roomette for the 3 of you if you can. The beds are still not made for us tall people but you can stretch out more and be more comfortable.

It is worth the price for the comfort, to enjoy your trip within a trip. If it helps with the price, consider the cost of arriving more rested, enjoying your family time together on the train and the sights along the way -- the look of excitement in your son's eyes on the train, along with the cost of the (free) meals, snacks, entertainment and always having a bathroom right there!

HTH!

Last edited by Marshay; 07-19-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #1537
disneyjunkie
I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!!!

I have been watching auto train videos on youtube. A few show the person taping walking through the various cars.

We've always been able to walk from coach to the sleeper cars and back when traveling from NYC to SC. (The train was going to FL). I had no idea this wasn't allowed on the auto train.

A few of the people in my group are thinking about purchasing 2 seats for the taller adults. That way they will have more space to spread out and won't have to spring for a sleeper.
disneyjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #1538
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyjunkie View Post
1. I have been watching auto train videos on youtube. A few show the person taping walking through the various cars.

2. We've always been able to walk from coach to the sleeper cars and back when traveling from NYC to SC. (The train was going to FL). I had no idea this wasn't allowed on the auto train.

3. A few of the people in my group are thinking about purchasing 2 seats for the taller adults. That way they will have more space to spread out and won't have to spring for a sleeper.
1. Yes you can, in fact you have to since the two sets of Dining cars are towards the front and there are multiple coach and sleeper cars.

2. Yea the Autotrain is setup differently. On our train going down the train was set up something like this.

From the front:
  • what I guess is a dorm car for the workers.
  • kitchen
  • 2 coach dining cars
  • a lounge car
  • coach cars
  • maybe another dorm car
  • kitchen
  • First class dining cars
  • a lounge car
  • sleepers cars
  • car carriers

So they are very much segregated.

3. They can, they just can't be with their group until you get off the train.

Last edited by chartle; 07-19-2012 at 11:28 AM.
chartle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #1539
Christymarie222
Mouseketeer

Quote:

My family is leaving this Aug on the auto train We are a family of five....me, DH, DD11, DD4 and DD2 (almost 3). We booked 2 roomettes and they said it was no problem having three people in a roomette, since the little one is so young. I couldn't book it that way online though...I had to call...hope that helps

Christymarie222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #1540
Jennifer S
DIS Cast Member
Has the best Goldendoodle in the world!

First time going on the auto train. We leave Aug 12th and come back Aug 25.

Doing Disney and Cocoa beach. So happy to have our car. This was much cheaper than flying and rent one.

My question is - how hot do our cars get? It will be packed and was worried if stuff would melt?

any pointers for us newbies?

do you guys bring pillows?

Jennifer S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #1541
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer S View Post
First time going on the auto train. We leave Aug 12th and come back Aug 25.

Doing Disney and Cocoa beach. So happy to have our car. This was much cheaper than flying and rent one.

My question is - how hot do our cars get? It will be packed and was worried if stuff would melt?

any pointers for us newbies?

do you guys bring pillows?
Cars probably do get hot. What are you planning to pack that might melt? If it is food, you could pack a cooler with lots of ice in your car and that should keep things un-melted for at least 24 hours. Or, buy the food when you get to Florida. You have your car, after all!

Yes, I bring pillows and a light blanket per person on the train (we go coach). It isn't like a plane, you can kind of bring a lot on to the train with you. I do limit us to two bags per person, but at least one bag is pretty big (the XL LL Bean bote and tote that I shove our blankets and pillows into!). We each have a backpack/carryon type bag with our toothbrush, change of clothes, books, electronics, etc. I have the big bag with pillows and blankets and then usually a snack/soft cooler bag. I like to take some of our own bottles of water, sodas, and snacks on the train. Not everyone does, to each their own. Oh yeah, bring all of your plugs/chargers for things with you on the train. There are outlets at the seats. You dont' want your iPad battery to die halfway to Florida and not have the charger!

The blankets can be used to stay warm, to make the seats more comfy, or to block out light if you end up with the crummy seats by the bathroom stairs (check in early to avoid these seats!). We got the upper seats by the stairs last trip home and I hung our blankets from the overhead luggage rack to block out the light. Worked like a charm! Made our seats like a little cave!

I'm sure I'll think of more tips later!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #1542
Jennifer S
DIS Cast Member
Has the best Goldendoodle in the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by labdogs42 View Post
Cars probably do get hot. What are you planning to pack that might melt? If it is food, you could pack a cooler with lots of ice in your car and that should keep things un-melted for at least 24 hours. Or, buy the food when you get to Florida. You have your car, after all!

Yes, I bring pillows and a light blanket per person on the train (we go coach). It isn't like a plane, you can kind of bring a lot on to the train with you. I do limit us to two bags per person, but at least one bag is pretty big (the XL LL Bean bote and tote that I shove our blankets and pillows into!). We each have a backpack/carryon type bag with our toothbrush, change of clothes, books, electronics, etc. I have the big bag with pillows and blankets and then usually a snack/soft cooler bag. I like to take some of our own bottles of water, sodas, and snacks on the train. Not everyone does, to each their own. Oh yeah, bring all of your plugs/chargers for things with you on the train. There are outlets at the seats. You dont' want your iPad battery to die halfway to Florida and not have the charger!

The blankets can be used to stay warm, to make the seats more comfy, or to block out light if you end up with the crummy seats by the bathroom stairs (check in early to avoid these seats!). We got the upper seats by the stairs last trip home and I hung our blankets from the overhead luggage rack to block out the light. Worked like a charm! Made our seats like a little cave!

I'm sure I'll think of more tips later!

great info! thanks. I guess melt was the wrong word. I was going to bring some food like boxes of cereal etc and cans of spray sunscreen. I guess I will just buy most stuff down there,

i am so excited. Love all the positive feedback in this thread

Jennifer S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #1543
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

Thanks for all the responses it would be great to get in the roomette with my son

Are you guys saying the cars aren't air conditioned .

BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #1544
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses it would be great to get in the roomette with my son

The train cars the automobiles are in are not air conditioned.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #1545
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:

I believe they are talking about your motor vehicle.

The Passenger cars of the train are Air Conditioned, But the train cars which they load your vehicle on is not.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: