Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 04:42 AM   #1516
vacationer1954
DIS Veteran

Comfort Inn Gunston Corner

Does anyone have any personal experience with this motel?

8180 SILVERBROOK RD
Lorton , VA , US 22079
1-888-614-1750
vacationer1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #1517
Tink's Pixieduster
Haven't a clue why it would be there
WAKEY, WAKEY!! RISE AND SHINE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer1954 View Post
Does anyone have any personal experience with this motel?

8180 SILVERBROOK RD
Lorton , VA , US 22079
1-888-614-1750
I have not personally stayed at this Comfort Inn, but I only live about 2 miles from the Lorton Auto Train station, so it's only a 5 minute drive (if that) from my house if I don't have to wait at any lights.

I can tell you the area is not bad and there is a gas station, 7-11, Burger King and small Italian and Chinese restaurants across the street. Others on this thread have posted their experience, but the "Search" function is currently not working so I can't provide a link, however I don't recall anyone who had a bad experience.
Tink's Pixieduster is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2012, 04:45 AM   #1518
vacationer1954
DIS Veteran

Thanks! On your recommendation, I did find an earlier review on page 52.
vacationer1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #1519
lindap1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking6 View Post
We are taking the Autotrain for the first time Aug. 6th My self, DD 20 and Neice 21 its a little over an hour drive. I am trying to decide myself if we drive that morning or the day before. We would have to leave 4 am or so. I know how traffic can be and the 6th is a Monday. Should we get a hotel? If so, does anyone know a nice one in the area.
I recommend you drive down the day before. The traffic around Washington is horrible! It took us almost 2 hours to go one stretch the traffic was stop and go for miles. We stayed at Comfort Inn that was less than a mile from the Auto train (literally around the corner) and it was very nice. There was a continental breakfast which wasn't to bad, but there are restaurants all around. Have fun! We LOVED the auto train and can't wait to do it again next year!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #1520
lindap1
DIS Veteran

I'm reading everyone's postings about going on the auto train and it's getting me all giddy about planning our trip for next year. We loved the auto train, very relaxing and you don't have to drive 20 hours, you sit back and enjoy the country side Last year when we went I had originally booked coach seats, but once we got to Lorton, hubby decided to switch to a deluxe sleeper $$$$$, 600 extra, but he did it anyways and I'm so glad he did. Our sleeper was at the end of a car, lots of motion and noises, so coming back we switched to a deluxe sleeper in the middle of the car and it was sooooo much better. Be warned that if you get a sleeper at the end of a car the bathroom is kind of hard to get into and is shaped weird, if you get a room in the middle, then bathroom is more spacious. We would never had been able to sleep in a coach car, especially with our 4 year old. Coming back north we had a car attendant bring our meals to our room and that was more relaxing for dd. When we arrived in Lorton the day before (on our way down to Florida) we stayed at Comfort Inn and it was a very nice place. The only thing bad that I can say about it, was that the man taking care of the continental breakfast the next morning was scratching his arm with his gloved hand and then walking over and flipping the sausage patties
Enjoy your trips and remember the earlier you book the autotrain the cheaper it is

Oh, and we did decide that next year we'll get a family bedroom, so much more spacious then the sleepers. We met a family in Lorton (and the husband just happened to be an amtrak employee who drives the auto train) and thye got a family bedroom. Me and dd visited them during the trip ( their dd and my dd had become fast friends in the depot) and the room is large.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #1521
Christymarie222
Mouseketeer

Pixie dust and the auto train

I am so excited and my husband is not understanding what a big deal this is...lol! So, yesterday I booked 5 coach seats and a oversized vehicle on the autotrain for August. The more I started thinking about it, I REALLY wanted a sleeper car for us (me, DH, DD11, DD4 and DD2). Looking at the prices I didn't think it was going to happen because we were already paying 1400 dollars just for coach seats and the car
Soooo...today I figured I would just call Amtrak just to see what they could offer me. The lady was super nice and said she could get us 2 roomettes both ways for only 200 more!!! I was like?????? I confirmed it was okay to have 1 adult and 1 child in one room and 1 adult and 2 small children in the other. She said it was fine.
So when I got the confirmation email...all looked good. The five of us are on the confirmation and we have the 2 roomettes both ways. BUT then I noticed there is NO mention of my oversized vehicle...crap. I wasn't going to call...but I decided better to be safe than sorry. Good I did because the lady I spoke with said, it was a mistake and it was going to be $400 MORE!!!!
I asked if there was anything Amtrak could do since it was not my mistake (in fact I caught a mistake they made) and could they stand by the price I was quoted. I got put on hold forever, but it was worth it because they stood by the offer. So I got 2 roomettes both ways for only 200 extra!!!! Awesome right???

Christymarie222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #1522
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christymarie222 View Post
I am so excited and my husband is not understanding what a big deal this is...lol! So, yesterday I booked 5 coach seats and a oversized vehicle on the autotrain for August. The more I started thinking about it, I REALLY wanted a sleeper car for us (me, DH, DD11, DD4 and DD2). Looking at the prices I didn't think it was going to happen because we were already paying 1400 dollars just for coach seats and the car
Soooo...today I figured I would just call Amtrak just to see what they could offer me. The lady was super nice and said she could get us 2 roomettes both ways for only 200 more!!! I was like?????? I confirmed it was okay to have 1 adult and 1 child in one room and 1 adult and 2 small children in the other. She said it was fine.
So when I got the confirmation email...all looked good. The five of us are on the confirmation and we have the 2 roomettes both ways. BUT then I noticed there is NO mention of my oversized vehicle...crap. I wasn't going to call...but I decided better to be safe than sorry. Good I did because the lady I spoke with said, it was a mistake and it was going to be $400 MORE!!!!
I asked if there was anything Amtrak could do since it was not my mistake (in fact I caught a mistake they made) and could they stand by the price I was quoted. I got put on hold forever, but it was worth it because they stood by the offer. So I got 2 roomettes both ways for only 200 extra!!!! Awesome right???
That's awesome!
Maybe I should call to see if we can get 2 roomettes for cheap/

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #1523
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christymarie222 View Post
Good for you to ask them to stand by their quote. I'm glad they were willing to work with you.

But one word of warning -- once you do the Bedroom cars there is no going back to coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindap1 View Post
I'm reading everyone's postings about going on the auto train and it's getting me all giddy about planning our trip for next year. We loved the auto train, very relaxing and you don't have to drive 20 hours, you sit back and enjoy the country side Last year when we went I had originally booked coach seats, but once we got to Lorton, hubby decided to switch to a deluxe sleeper $$$$$, 600 extra, but he did it anyways and I'm so glad he did. Our sleeper was at the end of a car, lots of motion and noises, so coming back we switched to a deluxe sleeper in the middle of the car and it was sooooo much better. Be warned that if you get a sleeper at the end of a car the bathroom is kind of hard to get into and is shaped weird, if you get a room in the middle, then bathroom is more spacious. We would never had been able to sleep in a coach car, especially with our 4 year old. Coming back north we had a car attendant bring our meals to our room and that was more relaxing for dd. When we arrived in Lorton the day before (on our way down to Florida) we stayed at Comfort Inn and it was a very nice place. The only thing bad that I can say about it, was that the man taking care of the continental breakfast the next morning was scratching his arm with his gloved hand and then walking over and flipping the sausage patties
Enjoy your trips and remember the earlier you book the autotrain the cheaper it is

Oh, and we did decide that next year we'll get a family bedroom, so much more spacious then the sleepers. We met a family in Lorton (and the husband just happened to be an amtrak employee who drives the auto train) and thye got a family bedroom. Me and dd visited them during the trip ( their dd and my dd had become fast friends in the depot) and the room is large.
Yeah for upgrading to Family Bedrooms -- they really are so much more comfortable than coach.

I am trying a roomette for my first time for my daughter and myself in July so it'll be neat to compare that to the Family Room, too.
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #1524
jking6
DIS Veteran

34 days until we take the Autotrain for the first time. I will definitely let you know how it was!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #1525
mykidslovesdisney
DIS Veteran

todays - 7/3/12 southbound train was cancelled.

they were so far behind due to the storms last week. In order to catch up they cancelled the train. Last nights train did not leave till 1130 pm

Remember when you travel the AT it is part of the journey not just a mode of transportation. Remember to give them your cell phone number with your reservation so they can contact you for any reasons.

Hoping all those dis'ers that were impacted by the cancellation or the last few days of delays were able to reach WDW and still have a wonderful vacation!

I've downloaded the Amtak app on my iphone and been tracking their departure and arrival times.

We'll be onboard in 42 days!

2000-CSR, 2002 All Star Sports
2005, 2006, Old Key West, 2007 OKW as DVC mbrs
2008 -OKW- thanks TS faye for extending our stay!!
2009- AKV 8/5-8/13, 2010- OKW 8/11-8/20
2011- AKV 8/2-8/12 2012-SSR 8/15-8/23
2013-POR-R 7/27-8/4 and AKV-Kidani 8/4-8/9
2014 AKV-Kidani 7/28-8/8
My Disney loving kids- Matt-24, Jordan 15, Sam 13, Belle 11 & William 7

Belle said "Quick mom stop the car, Get on that bus!!"
Mom " Why do we need to get on that bus?"
Belle "Because it is going to Disney World"
mykidslovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #1526
jking6
DIS Veteran

Wow now I know I am glad I booked ours a day earlier than my resort reservation at Disney starts. I am planning on headig to the Daytona Beach and spend a night near the Ocean. Now I am glad I did just in case there is another cancelation. August 6th here we come!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #1527
jking6
DIS Veteran

20 days till we take our first train ride! I am so excited to be taking the Autotrain on August 6th. Anyone else on th Dis riding along?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #1528
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

6 days until the Autotrain!!

It's funny b/c I am incredibly excited for being at WDW .. but I really and truly am looking forward to being on the train, too.

After 3 AT trips, the AT is now an integral part of our Disney vacation!
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #1529
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
20 days till we take our first train ride! I am so excited to be taking the Autotrain on August 6th. Anyone else on th Dis riding along?
Have fun and be sure too report back for the rest of us 1st-timers! Looking forward to our trip in October

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #1530
busymama04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So close we are on the train on August 5th.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: