Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2005, 12:34 PM   #136
AnnetteF
DIS Veteran

Thanks dandelion. That's exactly what I was afraid of - no empty seats. They don't actually require a seat for children under 2 years and I've heard people say that they just spread out into other empty seats, but what if there are none? I'm now also thinking of getting her a seat as I saw another post on the transportation board about a promotion for kids riding free with parents but I'm trying to find out what the dates for that are.

I do remember that Burger King. I think we stopped at it once.
AnnetteF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:40 PM   #137
NjRon
Mouseketeer

Track Repairs Causing Delays

Anyone planning to use the auto train in the next two months should be
prepared for delays. On May 6th, the southbound train was 6 hours late arriving into Sanford, as a result my northbound trip was 3 hours late departing Sanford and was 3.5 hours late arriving in at Lorton. From what we were told, track repairs south of Richmond are causing daily delays that become progressivly worse throughout the week. Departure delays also push the entire dinner schedules back. First seating on the 6th was at 7:15, second seating was at 9:30 with the meal being served after 10pm. I would suggest bringing extra snacks on board.
NjRon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2005, 10:00 AM   #138
Henlady
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the update NjRon. We aren't traveling till Oct 21. Hopefully the track repairs or whatever is causing the delays will be done by then. I don't actually mind delays if I know beforehand that they are possible.

Kris

164 days till we leave for our first cruise on the 4 day Wonder and then 3 nights at POR.
Henlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:25 PM   #139
swimer3
You'll never be old and wise, if you aren't young and crazy

Just a quick question about coach accommodations. Do they have showers for those passengers?
Old 05-25-2005, 01:03 AM   #140
DC7800
DIS Veteran

The showers are located in the sleeping cars, and are only open to sleeper passengers.
DC7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:16 AM   #141
christinou
Is now a Tag Fairy believer and is a proud member of the Duct Tape Patrol!
Mickey is the only mouse for me!

To be honest, we had a sleeping car on the way back for the first time last year, and we did not use the shower. When we get to Disney we have always been able to check into our room, and then take a shower and change at that point, so it has never been an issue.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:31 PM   #142
denapoli
Earning My Ears

1st time on autotrain-advice,tips?

Hi, I'll be going down for the first time ever on the auto train. I'll be with my two young children (boy 7 and girl 4). My 7 year old is a train fanatic, so I'm just as excited to see his experience with this as much as the vacation itself. My husband will be flying down later and meeting up with us. We are going the week of Thanksgiving. I'm trying to figure out if I should stay in a hotel the night before the train going down. I am coming from Suffolk County out east on Long Island. I believe the drive will take me about 5-6 hours. Does that sound accurate? We have sleeping accomodations both ways. I figured that would be best since I'm traveling without my husbands help. I'm planning on bringing movies, gameboy, goodie bags, etc. I would like to here anyones advice and tips and anything about the autotrain from start to finish for a first time rider.

Thank you in advance.
denapoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:58 AM   #143
christinou

We have done this about 4 times, and we are in upstate NY, we drive down the morning of the ride, we are 6.5 hours away and that works fine, we bring movies with us, and there is also a movie playing in one of the cars, my girls just love going to the snack car and getting a dring of water and snacks, you have a sleeper so you will be very conforatble, and won't have to wrry about the kids jumping up and down, at least they are contained in your compartment. We really enjoy the ride and make it part of our vacation. I also bring a bag on board with toiletry and a pair of shorts and flip flop for all of us, so that we can change when we get there.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:06 PM   #144
NjRon
Mouseketeer

We have traveled by auto train 2x now and prefer arriving the night before and staying at the Comfort Inn a stones throw from the train station. A nice lunch at the Polo Grill in Lorton before traveling makes the trip for us. It does add to the cost, but arriving the night before takes any worry out of traffic delays for us. Just an opinion.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:38 PM   #145
denapoli
Earning My Ears

Christinou & NjRon

Christinou,

What time do you usually leave in the morning and what time do you usually plan for to arrive in Lorton?

NjRon,

I haven't stayed in a Comfort Inn in about 15 years. What is the typical price you've gotten recently? Is it right in the town of Lorton?
denapoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:41 PM   #146
christinou

We usually leave very early around 5:00 a.m. but then we stop at a mall right before Lorton that has a rainforest cafe, we walk around have a really nice lunch and get to Lorton by 1:30.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:37 PM   #147
NjRon
Mouseketeer

Sorry but I don't recall the exact amount. I think the December '04 trip was just under $100 and the May '05 was just over $100.

The Comfort Inn at Gungston Corner is on the south bound side of Rt. 95 while the train station is on the north bound side. If not for the trees and a hill you might be able to see from one to the other.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:55 PM   #148
AnnetteF
DIS Veteran

We are planning to take the Auto Train from Lorton on Saturday 9/3, arriving in Sanford on Sunday 9/4. That is Labor Day weekend. Has anyone out there taken the Auto Train on Labor Day weekend or does anyone know if the train might be crowded at that time? I'm thinking that it probably won't be the busiest time since the kids have all just gone back to school and it's too early for the snowbirds to be heading South, but maybe I'm wrong. If anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate it. Thanks!
AnnetteF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:29 PM   #149
Credit Man
Love the shark reef
Needs a map to grocery shop
Went on a life-changing cruise

I don't think the train will be to crowded, however the roads may be very crowded. Leave plenty of time to get to Lorton.
Credit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:37 AM   #150
Windjammer
Mouseketeer

Kids Travel Free This Summer

First, I apologize if this was posted before. I booked the A-T for August several months ago at the AAA rate and periodically check the Amtrak site for discounts. I just saw an advertised special that kids travel free this summer. I booked a new reservation and will cancel the old one. Saved me about $200. Total price for six of us (2 adults & 4 kids) and our van is less than $900.

The link is: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...03736&ssid=224.

This promotion is good through August 31, 2005.

Hope this helps someone

Steve
Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: