Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
thebigman65
Certified Disney Nut!

Jet Blue Fare Reduction Policy....is it just me?

I booked a flight for all four of us on Sept 30, 2014 at a cost of $1540. I have been checking every other day to see if the flight costs have come down, so that I can call and get the lower rate. Today I notice that the overall cost was down to $1,413.00....so I call and I was informed of the following:

Jet blue has changed there policy as of a few months back....if you find the lower fare within 14 days of the original booking they will give it to you with no charge....if its after 14 days.....they charge to $75 per person!....so if I wanted to save the $127....I would have to now pay $300 in fees....Of course I said no, but this seems a little ridiculous to me....she said to keep looking and if the flight cost comes down more that $75 per person to call back as it would be worth it.....uhmm tell me how it's worth it?.....

AKL March 2009 Studio - Pop Century Christmas 09 - AKV March 2010 - AKV (F&W) Oct 2010 - AKV March 2011. - SSR Oct 2011. - AKL CL Feb 2012. - AKV Nov 2012. - AKL CL Mar 2013.
thebigman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigman65 View Post
I booked a flight for all four of us on Sept 30, 2014 at a cost of $1540. I have been checking every other day to see if the flight costs have come down, so that I can call and get the lower rate. Today I notice that the overall cost was down to $1,413.00....so I call and I was informed of the following:

Jet blue has changed there policy as of a few months back....if you find the lower fare within 14 days of the original booking they will give it to you with no charge....if its after 14 days.....they charge to $75 per person!....so if I wanted to save the $127....I would have to now pay $300 in fees....Of course I said no, but this seems a little ridiculous to me....she said to keep looking and if the flight cost comes down more that $75 per person to call back as it would be worth it.....uhmm tell me how it's worth it?.....
If a flight drops $80pp, you pay the $75 dollar fee, and end up saving $5. That's how it's "worth it". Obviously if the price drops more, you save more.

That being said, most airlines charge a change fee, and their change fee is $150-$200pp. I believe SW and Alaska are the only airlines that don't charge a fee. But you also don't get a "refund". You get a credit that has to be used within a year from the original booking.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

I agree with Sam. This is the way the majority of airlines function. And many charge change fees of $150 - $200 per person. It is wise to understand the change rules of an airline you are booking before you book.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

That's too bad. Maybe there will be a bigger discount later that will make it worth the change.

Fare changes is one of the reasons I tend to stick to SW. I don't get my money back but I do get credit and since I fly 2-3 times a year I always end up using it with in the time limit on credit.

The problem is that most people think the year starts from the time you get the credit. It starts on the day you BOOKED the original fare. And if you use the credit on a new flight it also has an expiration of the original fares booking date. (found this out the hard way when I had to cancel the second flight but was not going to use the credit until after the booking date of the original credit and so was going to lose the whole thing, but SW was actually super sweet and refunded me the entire amount and let me start over as a one time 'favor' I went back and in the fine print it does say that any credits used will be the starting point of the year's grace period for credits on any subsequent flight).

Moral of the story always read the fine print.

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Airlines need to bring money in in order to stay in business. JB is merely doing what other airlines do. Does it make us happy? Nope. I used to love getting those credits. But, stopping that' practice is better than raising fares or charging for all checked baggage.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

When a customer requests a credit for a fare drip on a nonrefundable ticket, the actual procedure requires the customer service representative to cancel the original ticket and rebooking it at the lower fare. JetBlue has been great with this for many years, despite the added cost (they never charged for going through a CSR to process the credit despite charging to book tickets on the phone) and reduced projected and actual revenue.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

I will miss the fare reduction credit. I did know of the change on August 14. I guess I read it on their website. As for the new rule of a credit within 14 days of purchasing, this is a one time credit. So if it changes again you can't get the additional credit. I was on the phone with them this morning and verified the info. I purchased in July so am grandfathered and was still able to get a credit. I did like that I have 1 year to use it from the time I actually get the credit, plus they put everyone's credit into my bank. Sorry OP you couldn't get the credit.

2015 TRIPS-Under Construction
April 29 - May 16 @ BCV
Sept 11-12@ BLT; ? + Cruise
Oct 25 - Nov 7 @ ?

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Because if you save more than the $75 fee you are paying less and coming out better than before.
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM   #9
rdsx28
Proud Member of Red Sox Nation!

Sorry to hear this news as I was unaware of the change. We received over 140.00 worth of credits last year for our flights because of price reductions. I understand that it's just business but why should I pay 140.00 more for a flight than someone else just doesn't seem right but what can you do? That will certainly be a factor for my booking in the future. I like JB much better than SW but I would go with the one who offers the best credit policy.
rdsx28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM   #10
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Well, first, you're referring to flight and flights. If you have $140 in credits from flights, then you're not payin $140 more for a flight.

What other goods/services do you expect to pay much less or after you purchased it? As to why you're paying more, you chose to buy the fare when you did at the price you paid. Others likely paid more. Why should you pay $X less than someone else?

Airlines aren't charities. Ideally they're profitable businesses. JetBlue still charges less than legacy and most budget airlines for passengers to
Book online
Cancel nonrefundable reservations (normally +-$100)
Involve a live CSR to purchase the new lower fare (normally ~$25)
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #11
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Well, first, you're referring to flight and flights. If you have $140 in credits from flights, then you're not payin $140 more for a flight.

What other goods/services do you expect to pay much less or after you purchased it? As to why you're paying more, you chose to buy the fare when you did at the price you paid. Others likely paid more. Why should you pay $X less than someone else?

Airlines aren't charities. Ideally they're profitable businesses. JetBlue still charges less than legacy and most budget airlines for passengers to
Book online
Cancel nonrefundable reservations (normally +-$100)
Involve a live CSR to purchase the new lower fare (normally ~$25)
Regarding the bolded, there's a lot of stuff you can get refunded on after you've purchased it. Not everything though.
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM   #12
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsx28 View Post
Sorry to hear this news as I was unaware of the change. We received over 140.00 worth of credits last year for our flights because of price reductions. I understand that it's just business but why should I pay 140.00 more for a flight than someone else just doesn't seem right but what can you do? That will certainly be a factor for my booking in the future. I like JB much better than SW but I would go with the one who offers the best credit policy.
There are always going to be people that paid more, or less, than you in any given flight. The alternative to that is to make all seats the same and not fluctuate at all. Of course, those fares will be higher than you want because it will have to be at least an average.
I doubt that $140 in credits came from just one flight, for just you. Most fare change credits were in the are of $5-30 or so, seldom more than that. I did have one credit if $75 but the original fare was crazy high and it was cross country. Not a cheap fare at all.
Yes, I loved getting those credits. But I can see why they have done away with them. SW is now the only airline that allows credits for lower fares. At least to the best of my knowledge. The playing field is being leveled. Few leisure travelers have brand loyalty anymore. They go with the lowest fare almost all the time.
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM   #13
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
what if the fare went up $140? Would you cut Jetblue a check? If you purchase a nonrefundable fare, its nonrefundable.
Gracie09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM   #14
rdsx28
Proud Member of Red Sox Nation!

Sorry should have made it clear we received 140.00 in credits for each of 3 flights we booked. Started at 210 ended up at 70.00. I do book early as we travel in June when school gets out and it is a very busy time. I am not familiar with Legacy airline or their policies as we do not have that airline here. It was just my own personal observation on how much things have changed over the years. It used to be so easy to get credits with no problem as I had done it numerous times .I was unaware of the policy change that's all. And of course we all like to get a good deal.
rdsx28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #15
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sorry should have made it clear we received 140.00 in credits for each of 3 flights we booked. Started at 210 ended up at 70.00. I do book early as we travel in June when school gets out and it is a very busy time. I am not familiar with Legacy airline or their policies as we do not have that airline here. It was just my own personal observation on how much things have changed over the years. It used to be so easy to get credits with no problem as I had done it numerous times .I was unaware of the policy change that's all. And of course we all like to get a good deal.
FYI, it's "legacy airlines" referring to the "old style" airlines (Delta, United, AA, US Air). It's not "Legacy Airlines".

HTH

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: