Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-08-2008, 09:53 PM   #1201
pumpkinbuddy
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 64

trip info

Just a fyi. We got back last Wednesday. We live in pgh and it took soo long on the way down. We ran into construction all along but, the worst was near Brunswick,Georgia. We actually were parked on the highway for 30 minutes. My husband was freaking out. Beware

On the plus side we left Disney for home at around 4am and it was smooth sailing the whole way home. No traffic at all. It took us around 17 hours to get home including stops for lunch and dinner an potty breaks. Leaving at 4am really helped alot. Last year be left around 6:30am and it was afwul. Traffic in am traffic at lunch and traffic at dinner

Just wanted to give a heads up
pumpkinbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:49 AM   #1202
TyRy
Part of the problem is I wear my shorts
It is making me nutty
 
TyRy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: IL - Way too far from the Castle!
Posts: 1,983

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
ok, too tired now to read through the whole thread. first; a question:
we come from chicago. we have considered trying to miss atlanta altogether by staying on 65 and going through Alabama. then either cutting over to Ga. (around Tifton) or heading down to 10 in fla. but nebo (DH) is concerned about these state routes. is it really slow going? any suggestions?
Spoke with DH and here's how we went coming from Berwyn...we took 55 to 294. 294 to 57 (tell Nebo it is the better way...why go all that way out of your way to Indy! ) 57 to 24 and then 24 to 65, which we picked up in Nashville. Then we took 65 all the way down into Alabama. Here are the directions we used - got them from Spiceycat:

Just stay on I 65 until you get to Montgomery; then take I85 get off on exit 9(if AAA is telling you to take on I85 exit 6 - don't - go a little further take exit 9 which is the next exit - you will be happily surprised at the time saved.... plus you won't get lost) right turn - when the road ends turn left on US 231. You can stay on US 231 until it gets to I 10 in Florida.

stay on I 10 until it get to I75.

people on I 10 can be fast - so you might see more Florida state troopers - they don't seem to mind 75 mph and even 80 mph - it is cars going over a 100 mph that they seem to stop.

Once near Disney, on the Turnpike I preferred taking US 27 - to US 192 - this lets you in the backroad of Disney - especially if you are staying in Kissimmee/Davenport or anything along or around US 27. while some people prefer taking the florida turnpike to I4.

Does that help? It might have been a little bit slower, but was a great drive...and since the way done was done overnight in AL, didn't have any traffic. We also were making record time to Nashville until we hit construction for a couple of miles..that slowed us, but we still got there pretty quickly.

Ty
__________________
Me DH Our angel pup
May 1995 - 1st Trip! Offsite --- May 2000 - Ramada Offsite & POFQ --- Oct/Nov 2004 - POFQ, 1st MNSSHP on HALLOWEEN!
06 Trip Report - Mickey's Hand is in My Pocket! Sept/Oct 06 11 days!!! WL, AKL, 2nd MNSSHP & Dining Extravaganza Reviews & Pics 9/23-10/3/06
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
*Nov 2013 AKVJ* *Extra May 2014 Trip SSR*
TyRy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-11-2008, 11:31 AM   #1203
kristytru
A dream is a wish your heart makes...
 
kristytru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 467

__________________
kristytru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #1204
wifey1220
DIS Veteran
 
wifey1220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinbuddy View Post
Just a fyi. We got back last Wednesday. We live in pgh and it took soo long on the way down. We ran into construction all along but, the worst was near Brunswick,Georgia. We actually were parked on the highway for 30 minutes. My husband was freaking out. Beware

On the plus side we left Disney for home at around 4am and it was smooth sailing the whole way home. No traffic at all. It took us around 17 hours to get home including stops for lunch and dinner an potty breaks. Leaving at 4am really helped alot. Last year be left around 6:30am and it was afwul. Traffic in am traffic at lunch and traffic at dinner

Just wanted to give a heads up
Thanks for the info
We are leaving from pgh on Saturday around 6am. hopefully we won't hit much traffic.
__________________
2003 offsite, 2005 ASmovies and free dining, 2006 ASmovies and free dining, 2007 ASmusic and free dining, 2008 Pop Century and free dining, 2009 ASmusic and free dining, 2011 Disney cruise and Pop Century, 2012 Cruise on dream , 2013 Disney cruise on the Fantasy, 2013dcl dream and por free dining, 2014 dcl magic 3 nt and 7 nt eastern
wifey1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:27 AM   #1205
lizzytizzy
Mouseketeer
 
lizzytizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 364

Need hotel recs along I-95

Hi all! My DH and DD and I along with friends are planning to drive to Disney from NJ for the first time on Black Friday! Yes. I already made reservations for a couple of hotels on the way there already. I need them for the way back. We plan to stay at a park all day and then drive back afterwards. Any recs for the way back? We were planning to stay somewhere in GA but I don't know if that will be too far to drive if we spent the whole day in the park that day. But, we plan to drive the rest of the way home the next day. Any recs on clean and safe hotels would be really appreciated!
__________________
lizzytizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #1206
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,835

lizzy: we have stayed at many little motels along 75 in ga. knights inn,.best value, etc. depends how far we make it (tifton, amboy, macon, etc.) oh, take the macon bypass, there are quite a few along it and it's shorter.
since you don't know how long you will be in the park that day for sure, or how tired you will be, I suggets NOT makkies ressies. on the way down, stop at the GA> welcome center and pick up those motel coupon books. these discounts no not count for reservations. then as you get closer you can call and see which have availability. (we always call to see which have exterior corridors ,ist floor drive up(so we don't have to unpack everything,) and smoking.
you hate to have ressies for, say valdosta, but you feel like you can drive further, say to tifton. Or the reverse! youre just too tired but your ressies are 80 miles yet! that would be unsafe.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #1207
huskies90
DIS Veteran
 
huskies90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,257

First Timer

I just finished reading this ENTIRE post. It took several weeks. Tons of great information on here. I have a question that I could not find anywhere in the post.

But before I get to my question…here is our story…

I am from CT and I have never driven. It is something I have always wanted to do just for sake of saying I have done it. But after dozens of trips to FL, I was always able to get a good enough airfare to cost justify flying. Our next trip is planned for President’s week in ’09. The party of 4 will be me, wife and two daughters 12 and 9. I thought this would be a great time to try driving. I don’t see us getting $200 round trip airfare for that week and with winter weather and airport delays, it is a good time to have the flexibility of driving.

So after reading all the amazing posts on this thread here is my plan. I’ve decided it would be best to drive straight thru. We’ll have 2 drivers. I am not a big driver, I usually fly so the thought of driving 12 hours, sleeping, then getting up and driving another 12 hours does not sit well. I rather just peel off the bandage in one swoop. I am planning on leaving CT after work on Friday and taking 84, 684, 287, GSP, to I95 the rest of the way. That allows me to circumvent NYC and the GWB and gets me to Philly by about 9-10PM and to DC by around midnight, hopefully, missing the bad rush hour traffic. Since my kids are a bit older, I have no doubt they will sleep most of the night as will my wife. So, I’ll handle the grave yard shift then hand it over to her when the sun comes up in the AM.

OK, so here is my question. As mentioned above, I don’t want to have to stop for the overnight, but if in the wee hours of the morning, I decide I NEED to stop because I can’t go any further and need to pull over for a cat nap, are there any rest areas and/or places to do this along the way. AND has anyone else ever done this? It just seems easier rather than pulling over, finding a hotel, going thru the hassle of checking in, waking up the family that will already be sleeping, getting them out of the car and into the room just to get two hours of sleep which would be all I would need. I don’t know what the areas are like south of DC since I have never been on the road down there. Also, I don’t anticipate this being necessary. I moonlight as a bass guitarist in a local cover band and I am often driving home from a club at 3-4AM and never have a problem.

So I guess I am looking for safe rest areas in the VA, NC stretch to pull over for 40 winks just in case I need it…And if anyone has ever done this…Anyone?
huskies90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:35 AM   #1208
JWollman
Mouseketeer
 
JWollman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 88

driving from CT

Hi fellow CT'er!!!
We have driven the drive several times from CT. Actually, I have only flown to FL 2 times, and that was NOT to go to Disney!! I have driven every time... including this years trip with our toddler!
We usually leave at night- 10/11pm..... however the past two trips with the kid we have stopped overnight... just so he is not bonkers for being in a car seat for so long!!
One year we did the drive and stopped around 3am in GA.. at the border. The rest area was nice and big and quite! We snoozed in the back of the SUV until the sun came up! We have also stopped in NC on the drives down to catch some zz's as well.

I really think its a great ride, people think we are nuts, but actually it has been cheaper to drive then to fly for us. .. plus I can take WHATEVER I want!!
__________________

2013- Saratoga Springs..Congress Park! Welcome Home!!
2012- Saratoga Springs..Treehouse Villas!! Welcome Home!!
2010- Animal Kingdom Jambo House
2008- BoardWalk
2007- Old Key West w/the toddler!
2005- Saratoga Springs-Welcome Home!
2002- Animal Kingdom Lodge
1997 -Pop Sports Resort - Disney's 25th Anniversary-1st Disney Trip!
"
JWollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:05 AM   #1209
BC1836
DIS Veteran
 
BC1836's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,347

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzytizzy View Post
Hi all! My DH and DD and I along with friends are planning to drive to Disney from NJ for the first time on Black Friday! Yes. I already made reservations for a couple of hotels on the way there already. I need them for the way back. We plan to stay at a park all day and then drive back afterwards. Any recs for the way back? We were planning to stay somewhere in GA but I don't know if that will be too far to drive if we spent the whole day in the park that day. But, we plan to drive the rest of the way home the next day. Any recs on clean and safe hotels would be really appreciated!
Search the "For 2,000+ Mile Drivers Only!" thread for more relevant replies from NJ (and other Northeast) drivers.
__________________
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
BC1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #1210
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...
 
pilferk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskies90 View Post
I just finished reading this ENTIRE post. It took several weeks. Tons of great information on here. I have a question that I could not find anywhere in the post.

But before I get to my question…here is our story…

I am from CT and I have never driven. It is something I have always wanted to do just for sake of saying I have done it. But after dozens of trips to FL, I was always able to get a good enough airfare to cost justify flying. Our next trip is planned for President’s week in ’09. The party of 4 will be me, wife and two daughters 12 and 9. I thought this would be a great time to try driving. I don’t see us getting $200 round trip airfare for that week and with winter weather and airport delays, it is a good time to have the flexibility of driving.

So after reading all the amazing posts on this thread here is my plan. I’ve decided it would be best to drive straight thru. We’ll have 2 drivers. I am not a big driver, I usually fly so the thought of driving 12 hours, sleeping, then getting up and driving another 12 hours does not sit well. I rather just peel off the bandage in one swoop. I am planning on leaving CT after work on Friday and taking 84, 684, 287, GSP, to I95 the rest of the way. That allows me to circumvent NYC and the GWB and gets me to Philly by about 9-10PM and to DC by around midnight, hopefully, missing the bad rush hour traffic. Since my kids are a bit older, I have no doubt they will sleep most of the night as will my wife. So, I’ll handle the grave yard shift then hand it over to her when the sun comes up in the AM.

OK, so here is my question. As mentioned above, I don’t want to have to stop for the overnight, but if in the wee hours of the morning, I decide I NEED to stop because I can’t go any further and need to pull over for a cat nap, are there any rest areas and/or places to do this along the way. AND has anyone else ever done this? It just seems easier rather than pulling over, finding a hotel, going thru the hassle of checking in, waking up the family that will already be sleeping, getting them out of the car and into the room just to get two hours of sleep which would be all I would need. I don’t know what the areas are like south of DC since I have never been on the road down there. Also, I don’t anticipate this being necessary. I moonlight as a bass guitarist in a local cover band and I am often driving home from a club at 3-4AM and never have a problem.

So I guess I am looking for safe rest areas in the VA, NC stretch to pull over for 40 winks just in case I need it…And if anyone has ever done this…Anyone?
Howdy and hello.

We've (the family and I) done the drive 5 or 6 times now, using exactly the route you're mapping out.I vastly prefer avoiding NYC traffic at all costs, and prefer the Tappanzee and the Saw Mill Parkway to I-95. We just (this past January) did the "marathon" overnight drive, leaving Northwestern CT at around 2 PM and arriving in Florida just before noon...and that was with what I would consider a LOT of stopping (blantant plug: You'll see a link to the trip report in my signature, below).

The only difference between us is: I did all the driving. DW sat shotgun and rode herd with our kids, who did NOT sleep more than 2 hours (well, the older 2 anyway) the entire ride down. But it was a "surprise" trip...we told them when we picked my oldest up from school that day...and they were all hopped up on adrenaline.

We're doing it again in early December, coming up in a couple months...but not the "marathon" this time. We're stopping overnight in NC.

There are a bunch or rest stops as you head down, most of them seemed fairly safe and clean. We made a LOT of "potty" stops for our (young) kids. I took a catnap at a rest stop in GA for about 45 minutes as the sun was coming up. The halflight was messing with my eyes, and I needed to pull over until we got to full light.

Another suggestion would be Exit 173 in NC..there's a Walmart Supercenter there. You'll find campers, etc staked out in the parking lot that stay there all night. It's well lit and VERY safe. Would be a great place for a nap.
__________________
Disney dreamin'...Somewhere!
11 9 7 (...our little Disney Souvenir)

Last edited by pilferk; 09-29-2008 at 12:08 PM.
pilferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #1211
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...
 
pilferk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWollman View Post

I really think its a great ride, people think we are nuts, but actually it has been cheaper to drive then to fly for us. .. plus I can take WHATEVER I want!!
Yup, we find the same thing for our family of 5. Cheaper to drive, and no restrictions on what we can bring.

For us, we'd need to find airfare UNDER $200, round trip...and maybe closer to $175...for the airfare to approximate our driving costs. The other nice thing about driving is that we have our own car to drive around.
__________________
Disney dreamin'...Somewhere!
11 9 7 (...our little Disney Souvenir)
pilferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #1212
lizzytizzy
Mouseketeer
 
lizzytizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Search the "For 2,000+ Mile Drivers Only!" thread for more relevant replies from NJ (and other Northeast) drivers.
Where is this thread? I tried looking but couldn't find it.
__________________
lizzytizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #1213
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...
 
pilferk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,556

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1655918

There it is!
__________________
Disney dreamin'...Somewhere!
11 9 7 (...our little Disney Souvenir)
pilferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:43 AM   #1214
Disneynutbsv
DIS Veteran
If I had kept my fancy flyswatter I might be $50 richer!
Secretly I love Lucky Charms
 
Disneynutbsv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: white mountains of nh
Posts: 5,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
Yup, we find the same thing for our family of 5. Cheaper to drive, and no restrictions on what we can bring.

For us, we'd need to find airfare UNDER $200, round trip...and maybe closer to $175...for the airfare to approximate our driving costs. The other nice thing about driving is that we have our own car to drive around.
I agree with this! We are asking for gas cards for Christmas My mil is always telling us she never knows what to get us! This would work great!
__________________
Brenda August, 2011-All Star Movies & Disney Dream, April, 2010-Disney Wonder, September, 2007-Pop Century, August, 2006-Port Orleans September, 2005-All Star Movies. 1994-2005-Off Site

DH Me DS dd DS

I'm the only one that hasn't outgrown Disney
Checking out Carnival Cruise line...
Disneynutbsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:24 AM   #1215
grammynelliebelle
DIS Veteran
 
grammynelliebelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 632

We will be heading down Mid October from NJ. 95 all the way. If you are recently back please let us know how you did. Thanks Grammy
grammynelliebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: