Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #811
VMK_Princess_Chloe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz2400 View Post
I am driving down from CT. I would like to know realistically how many hours are you from orlando when you are on the north/south carolina border.

I know from Charlotte, NC it's about 7 to 7 1/2 hours.. to Orlando.. so it's gonna be somewhat less than that from the border.

1st Disney Trip - June 29th to July 6th, 2007 - Pop Century
VMK_Princess_Chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:35 AM   #812
5dwarves
DIS Veteran

How far to WDW from Savannah?

We live in No. Alabama and are driving to Savannah to eat at Lady & Sons, then heading into Orlando the next day. Any good suggestions on a hotel fora family of 7 and the kind of drive we are looking at the next day?
5dwarves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2007, 08:50 AM   #813
hiddenmikey
Addicted Disney Nut

I have been to Lady and sons last year and be prepared for a long wait to get your reservations. (however, the food is awsome)

as for where to stay depends on how much you want to spend. The lower cost I-95 motels are 10-12 miles from downtown. but in downtown their are plenty of higher cost hotels. (i always stay at the Westin) i thought the hyatt was dirty.

the drive from Savannah to Orlando is an easy 4 1/2 hour drive.

we usually drive to Orlando on a Sunday. so the traffic is not too bad.

there are numerous construction and road widening projects on I- 95 but the only one with any possible inconvenience is in the Jacksonville area.

You will love the downtown Savannah area (if lady and sons is too long of a wait for you there are plenty of awsome restaurants along the waterfront.

Good luck..........M
hiddenmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #814
5dwarves
DIS Veteran

Lady and Sons

Were you there for lunch or dinner? I am looking forward to seeing the beauty of Savannah in person. Thanks for recommending the downtown stroll.
5dwarves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:56 AM   #815
hiddenmikey
Addicted Disney Nut

I went there for Dinner (i have heard that the lunch crowd may not be as bad as the Dinner crowd, but still expect a long wait)

There is a lot to offer along the water front: Lots of small stores, restaurants, drinking establishments and etc.... you won`t be dissapointed.
hiddenmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:00 AM   #816
katieloubear
Jenn

When are you going? What part of texas are you from? Wichita Falls, tx here. We drove down to a little town outside of Orlando about and hour and it took us 23 hours last year
Old 07-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #817
Millermouseketeers
DIS Veteran

We are driving from Dallas, Tx. in August! Does anyone have any info on the new West toll you take to avoid all of the I-4 traffic? We were wondering what exit it is and where to start looking for it. We think we zoomed past it in March!
Millermouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:46 AM   #818
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

We stayed over in Santee, SC on the drive down and left around 7 in the morning. We didn't arrive at Shades of Green until 3 in the afternoon. We ran into lots of traffic issues in FL, the first being on 95 (this was a Saturday). We also had traffic as we got closer to Orlando.

So, ideally, it would probably be a shorter drive from the NC/SC border to Orlando, but it took us 8 hours.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
carissanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #819
Princessbaby
Always a Princess
I am at work otherwise I would post again

I-75

Question for anyone driving from on I-75 South, once you hit the turnpike from I-75 S, what route do you take to get to WDW!? I'm looking for some non-confusing directions!!
Thanks!!
Old 07-05-2007, 09:04 PM   #820
tinkerbell615
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessbaby View Post
Question for anyone driving from on I-75 South, once you hit the turnpike from I-75 S, what route do you take to get to WDW!? I'm looking for some non-confusing directions!!
Thanks!!

We just traveled I75 South about 1-1/2 weeks ago. Someone had posted on here about the exit for 429 South off of the FL turnpike. We tried it and it was awesome. You avoid so much traffic. There were not many cars using this and I believe it cut off a ton of time.

Take the exit for 429 South off of the FL turnpike to the Disney World exit (Western Way). This exit actually takes you right into Disney World. You will see the Welcome to Walt Disney World sign practically as soon as you get off of the exit! It felt like we were sneaking in the back way. We loved it and used it to get back to the FL turnpike when we left to get home also. It is a toll road also. I believe it cost us $1.00 to use this toll road.

I hope this helps!

tinkerbell615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:07 PM   #821
tinkerbell615
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessbaby View Post
Thanks!!
Here is a link showing the map.

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/maps...ernbeltway.pdf

tinkerbell615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #822
Princessbaby
Always a Princess
I am at work otherwise I would post again

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell615 View Post
We just traveled I75 South about 1-1/2 weeks ago. Someone had posted on here about the exit for 429 South off of the FL turnpike. We tried it and it was awesome. You avoid so much traffic. There were not many cars using this and I believe it cut off a ton of time.

Take the exit for 429 South off of the FL turnpike to the Disney World exit (Western Way). This exit actually takes you right into Disney World. You will see the Welcome to Walt Disney World sign practically as soon as you get off of the exit! It felt like we were sneaking in the back way. We loved it and used it to get back to the FL turnpike when we left to get home also. It is a toll road also. I believe it cost us $1.00 to use this toll road.

I hope this helps!
Thank you so much for the link!! It looks so easy! I'm all for less traffic!!
Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:58 PM   #823
Cinderellabride
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeydad View Post
faeriekisses,

We go that way from CT.

I-84 to Scranton, PA, pick up I-81 to I-64 in Roanoke, VA to I-95 and straight down to Disney.

Last year we stayed on I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95. It was a smooth and beautiful drive.

We will go the other way I first mentioned this April. We will bypass NY, NJ & DC.

Ever go this way??

Mickeydad
I know this post was written a long time ago, but I am wondering how long these two routes take from CT. We are going back in August, I have driven numerous times with my dad, a few with my mom and grandparents, and once with my fiancee (all but the time with my fiancee I had no say in the route). This time I am going with my fiancee and another couple so we will have four drivers. Last time we took the Tap, and it took us about 18 hours, this time we are thinking of taking 95 straight through from CT, but I am wondering how long the two routes mentioned above take because if it is a nicer drive it might be worth it. Thanks for any info. BTW we drive straight through.
Cinderellabride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:41 AM   #824
camreesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermouseketeers View Post
We are driving from Dallas, Tx. in August! Does anyone have any info on the new West toll you take to avoid all of the I-4 traffic? We were wondering what exit it is and where to start looking for it. We think we zoomed past it in March!
We're driving from just south of Houston in August also so would like to know the answer to this question too. We're still trying to decide where we're going to spend the night along the way. We want to do most of the drive the first day so we're not so tired when we get to WDW. We will be pulling our travel trailer though (staying at Ft. Wilderness) so we do expect that to slow us down a bit.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:21 AM   #825
mwehttam
Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch...

Hello All,

DW, DS and I leave tomorrow after work for your drive down to the World. I plan on getting to DC for Friday night (we live in NYC area) then to Savannah for Sat night.

My question is which route should I take when I get to the Orlando area. I am hoping to leave Savannah by 7-7:30AM (DS is part rooster and is up at the crack of dawn) so I calculate we will hit the area to decide on I4 or the Greenway at about noon, if not sooner (please correct me if I am off on this). How is I4 through Orlando on Sunday late morning/early afternoon? I saw many on this thread mention the Greenway but that seems so out of the way that it makes sense for normal weekday traffic but not Sunday traffic. What does everyone think?

Thanks!

-Matt
Oct 2000 - OKW: First trip ever to WDW! | Oct 2004 - OKW : Our Honeymoon | Aug 2005 - GCH : Our first trip to Disneyland | Jan 2006 - SSR: EE Preview Weekend | July 2007 - SSR: First trip Home as DVC Members and with DS | Aug 2008 - VWL: My parents take their first trip | Jan 2009 - SSR: The No Kids Trip | Aug 2009 - BCV/BLT: Stormalong Bay Here We Come | Sept 2009 - DL Hotel for our 5th Anniversary | July 2010 - BLT: Grand Villa MK View | Aug 2011 - Treehouse Villas | Sept 2011 OKW: MNSSHP | Aug 2012 - Our first DCL Cruise | Aug 2013 - BCV

Lets Go Devils!!!
Lets Go Big Blue!!!
mwehttam is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: