Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2004, 08:23 PM   #31
FloridaCat
WL Vet
Wild Wacky Wonderful WL Weatherman
You sit in a bathtub to eat a FL orange
It does not get any better then this

FL is a dry tinder box so check for forest fires as some interstate roads have been closed due to heavy smoke. So ceck before heading out.

Saafend
I-75 is your bestbet. If you can make it to Tifton, goodplace to spend the night. There is aMaster Motel, resonable and Cracker Barrel.

WHILE AT THE LODGE, PAT THE BEAR'S NOSE SO THE MAGIC CAN BEGIN.

When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you

At least once each year since 1991
WL 7/2003
WL 9/2003
FloridaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:03 AM   #32
Unifan
Earning My Ears

Smile Good area to stop on 1-95

Exit 38 in Georgia has several new hotels...also exit 36 hotels are all old...what ever you do do not expect to find a hotel in savannah or the brunswick georgia area the first two weeks of June! There is a BIG G-8 Summit (International Goverment Meeting) and there will be no rooms to be had. Also fill your Gas tanks before you get to Florida...Gas is 15 to 20 cents a gallon cheaper in Georgia!
Unifan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2004, 07:16 PM   #33
mixsap
Earning My Ears

We hit the Balt beltway about 8pm and the DC beltway around 8:45 or 9 pm. Traffic is really thinning out and we have NO problem managing with our 27 ft trailer. Although it isn't as scenic as I-81, it is shorter by a good bit.

A definite consideration as we drive straight through.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:00 AM   #34
bamillen
Earning My Ears

Unifan is right on the money about gas being cheaper in Georgia than in Florida.

Gas is also much cheaper in South Carolina than it is in North Carolina.
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'October 2, 2004 7:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue> 1st Disney Trip </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Gone to see the Mouse!!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
bamillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:32 AM   #35
hannahsmomma
Who's dream is it.....

Just got back from our first WDW trip Saturday. On the way down we stopped in Savannah at the La Quinta Inn and there were no vaccancies, fortunatley we had reservations. On the way back we just winged it and stopped in brunswick at the hampton Inn and it was wonderful! We even got a free breakfast! Also, Gas prices are really about the same everwhere. Only a few cent difference between the states. Oh, and absolutley do not stop at south of the border, it is the dirtiest most disgusting place I have ever been in! Ignore the catchy billboards! Hope everyone has a safe and fun trip.
hannahsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:52 AM   #36
Fonzy13
Proud DVC Owner

I'm driving down with my two DBrothers (6,15) on July 10. We'll be leaving Albany at 6 a.m. so we hope to miss the traffic in NYC, DC. Should be okay.... I think. I was planning on stopping in Rocky Mount, but I should be there by 4 p.m., so I was hoping to go a little farther south to cut in on the drive time on day two. Any suggestions?
Fonzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:10 PM   #37
cmonroe
DIS Veteran

Fonzy13

What route are you taking?
Would you mind reporting your findings when you return?
I'm driving from mass for the first time and am curious of in experience you could provide.

Thanks.

Quick 4-day Cheering Championship Pop Century February 2013All Star Music Grand Gatherings April 2007CR August 2004CR Grand Gatherings April 2003CBR Nov 1992CR 1970's til early 1990's
Favorite Disney Memory:
Back in the late 80's, when my cousin and I were old enough to be on our own but not yet very mature, we found a pizza left in the hallway in the Contemporary. You guessed it. Only a couple of the pieces were missing, the rest hadn't been touched. When our mothers found that we had eaten that pizza, they were beside themselves. We still haven't lived it down today, 17 years later. (Sigh) Those were the days!
cmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:53 PM   #38
Fonzy13
Proud DVC Owner

I figured I would take the NYS Thurway to the Jersey Turnpike and jump on 95. I understands everyone's concerns about traffic, but I think we'll hit the road at the right time to make sure everything goes smoothly. I have no problem letting you know how the ride is.
Fonzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:24 PM   #39
cmonroe
DIS Veteran

Fonzy13

Thank you! Good Luck!

Quick 4-day Cheering Championship Pop Century February 2013All Star Music Grand Gatherings April 2007CR August 2004CR Grand Gatherings April 2003CBR Nov 1992CR 1970's til early 1990's
Favorite Disney Memory:
Back in the late 80's, when my cousin and I were old enough to be on our own but not yet very mature, we found a pizza left in the hallway in the Contemporary. You guessed it. Only a couple of the pieces were missing, the rest hadn't been touched. When our mothers found that we had eaten that pizza, they were beside themselves. We still haven't lived it down today, 17 years later. (Sigh) Those were the days!
Old 04-28-2004, 05:34 PM   #40
Unifan
Earning My Ears

Smile Latest Gas Prices

Gas Price for reg unleaded exit 36 in Ga....Racetrac $1.62 and $1.62 at the el cheapo as of Apr 28th
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'December 17, 2004 5:00:00 PM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=red>Countdown to Uni/IOA Vacation 2004 </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'See Ya!!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
Unifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:37 PM   #41
disneyfamilyofpieps
Earning My Ears

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to let you all know that we just returned from a wonderful week in Disney and we drove from Cohasset Massachusetts.(South of Boston)
After much debate and hearing stories etc, we drove down going the Mass Pike to Route 84, then to Rt. 81, to 77 to 26 and get on 95 way down near South Carolina.
Absolutely the most beautiful ride!!!!
We came home on 95 to compare(and basically to try and prove my mom wrong that their is no other way to go but 95!) It was the worst experience we have ever had and took almost 9 extra hours due to the Womans march, a horrible accident, torrential rain and just plain having to drive 95. We ended up cutting over and getting back on 84 the rest of the way home.
The end result for us is that we will never travel 95 again(bad roads, way too many tolls with none the other way, too much traffic and trucks, bridges, tunnells etc.) By going the 84 way, it is so pretty, less stress, about 100 miles more but believe it or not, it takes just about the same amount of time.

Just wanted to let you know our experience which was the best week we have had in Disney ever except for the horrid ride home! Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
Jen
disneyfamilyofpieps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 03:55 PM   #42
chipnwendy
The Ladies Love Kasey Kahne

Quote:
Originally posted by dkddis
We are doing our second drive from MA and we took 95 the whole way on a Friday of Easter weekend 2003. Not good.
Others that I know will only take the 95 route on a weekend and leave at 5-6am. (I will do that this year) On the way back we took I-95 to I-26 to I-77 to I-81. I agree it was a smooth drive with zero traffic. I think it is about 90 miles more but worth it to avoid NJ turnpike, Deleware Bridge and DC.

Just thought that those of you who take this route would like to know that I-26 now goes straight to I-81 just south of the Tennessee-Virginia line, so you don't have to get off of onto I-85 in Spartanburg. This also eliminates having to go into Charlotte, which is always under construction and sometimes tricky.

Happy Driving
Old 05-01-2004, 09:48 PM   #43
cmonroe
DIS Veteran

disneyfamilyofpieps

That is great news! We are from Rowley MA (north shore) and we are driving in August! Because of this board, that is the route we were going to take! It is great to hear it was a good trip.

May I ask you a couple of questions?

1. Were you riding with children, and if yes, what age?

2. What time did you leave MA?

3. How far did you get the first day and what city state did you stop in for the hotel?

4. How far did you make it the second day and if short of Orlando, where did you stay the second night?

The reason I ask, is that it is my first driving the family to WDW and was curious of anyone else who had made the trek from MA.

We have 4 adults and a 3yr old and a 7 month old going.

Thanks for any help!

Favorite Disney Memory:
Old 05-02-2004, 04:40 PM   #44
disneyfamilyofpieps
Earning My Ears

Hi,
Our original plan was to leave at 10:00 at night and drive through until 12 noon or so the next day. Bad plan as both myself and my friend who I went with had already been awake since 5:30 am. We were driving with a 9 year old and 2, 8 year olds and the two of us.
If you plan on leaving around 4 in the morning, you should be able to make it to North Carolina/start of South Carolina. We stopped at a hotel off of 77 which was great. That means that your second day you can either drive a really long day again(12 hours) or(my suggestion) drive about 8-9 hours, get a hotel and then let everyone get some rest and head out by 7-8 in the morning and be at Disney by noon.
Because of the ages of your kids you may need to stop more often and their are plenty of places to stop along the way.
Driving through the night is the best plan of action with kids normally but this depends on the drivers and the comfort levels at night and also, this route is beautiful and should be seen in the daytime.
It can be done by driving two long days with one night stop over or two night stop overs and a more casual drive.
When we do it again in August, we are going to leave between 3-4 am and drive through until 8-9 at night. Then drive the rest the next day.
Jen
disneyfamilyofpieps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:29 AM   #45
cmonroe
DIS Veteran

disneyfamilyofpieps

That's great info! Thanks so much.

Favorite Disney Memory:

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: