Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #1846
fbarker
Mouseketeer

Going to try this again.....Leaving from Chicago in 3wks. We are driving. Any body that can give us help. Anyone know of any construction or delays that we should be aware of? I65 through Indiana and KY to I24 in TN to I75 through GA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
fbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #1847
briles5
Earning My Ears

Hello Everyone, I have been lurking on this board for about 3 months now. I love all the great advice .
Due to the high cost of flying we are going to attempt our first time driving from Massachusetts for April vaca. We are going to leave Thursday April 12 probally at 2 am. I originally wanted to leave at 6 pm but I am nervous about staying awake all night. I have read just about the whole driving post so does anyone have any advice whether to drive 95, we would probally hit all the work day traffic, or can anyone recommend a different route? Also I would like to make it to South Carolina does any recommend a place to stay that accomodate 3 adults and 4 kids? Thank you Leslee
briles5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #1848
hearts8701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbarker View Post
Going to try this again.....Leaving from Chicago in 3wks. We are driving. Any body that can give us help. Anyone know of any construction or delays that we should be aware of? I65 through Indiana and KY to I24 in TN to I75 through GA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
we drove from chgo on sunday march 4th using the same route we had no major construction delays but it was a sunday we drive down on the weekends to avoid nashville & atlanta rush hour delays the indiana exit at henryville and rest stops closed to everyone due to the tornadoes national guards posted at exits to allow only residents to exit you can see the damage from 65 but the roads were clean kentucky had some constuction in the center lanes causing lane closures leaving only 2 lanes open traffic was heavy but moving have a great trip travel safe
Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #1849
edbo77
Mouseketeer

Leslee, I would suggest leaving at night vs. the AM. If the adults in your party are going to share the driving it might make more sense because you will miss all the major cities on the East Coast which is a huge benefit. It won't be a lot of fun to leave MA at 2AM, plus you'll hit rush hour traffic in NYC, if not in the DE/MD stretch depending where in MA you are leaving from. Just my thoughts.
March 1995/June 1995 - Off Property
June 1995 - POR
April 1997 - POR
May 2000 - POR
October 2004 - Beach Club Villas
February 2007/June 2008 - Boardwalk Villas
February 2012 - Off Property
October 2012 - Beach Club Villas
edbo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #1850
briles5
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbo77 View Post
Leslee, I would suggest leaving at night vs. the AM. If the adults in your party are going to share the driving it might make more sense because you will miss all the major cities on the East Coast which is a huge benefit. It won't be a lot of fun to leave MA at 2AM, plus you'll hit rush hour traffic in NYC, if not in the DE/MD stretch depending where in MA you are leaving from. Just my thoughts.
I agree with you, I think we have changed our plan to leave at 6pm Thursday night to miss allot of that mess. I am a little worried about staying awake but worse case we have to check in some where. I was thinking about buying an ezy pass. Thanks!!
briles5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #1851
Fleuristic
ISO Someone to share Disney with...

Latest trip we left at appx 2pm and arrived in Disney at roughly 6am driving from Allentown, PA. I'm used to driving for long periods of time but what I didn't expect was the energy rush I would get once I arrived. Didn't go to sleep untill midnight that night after a full day in the parks. Needless to say after the drive home I went straight to bed lol.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #1852
domiii
To all who come to this happy place, welcome! - Walter E. Disney

When we drive from NJ - straight down 95 - I have a scavenger hunt that keeps every one busy. Some items are ridculous, but it keeps everyone entertained. Plus we mark down the license plates we see. Send me a PM if you'd like a copy.

Questions, any one know the current gas prices from NJ to FL?? Just went to CT yesterday and it was $4.05 .
05/87 BV Palace/Contemporary ... 11/89 HoJo's ... 07/92 CBR ... 08/97 PO ... 11/99 ASMu/ASMo ... 06/02 WL/Wonder ... 04/04 Pop Century ... 11/04 POFQ ... 12/05 Christmas Magic-DCL ... 08/06 SSR ... 11/07 SSR GV ... 03/08 ASMu (K&D) ... 06/08 SSR (KE w/JR) ... 11/08 Wonder/SSR ... 07/09 OKW/AKL GV-KV/OKW ... 05/10 CS ... 12/10 SSR GV ... 04/11 ASMu ... 06/11 Dream/THV ... 05/12 THV ... 10/12 AKL-KV

domiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #1853
Taylor'sMom
Wish I was there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by domiii View Post
When we drive from NJ - straight down 95 - I have a scavenger hunt that keeps every one busy. Some items are ridculous, but it keeps everyone entertained. Plus we mark down the license plates we see.
Amazon sells a great license Plate sticker book for like $5. called "ultimate Sticker puzzles" by tony tallarico. We bought it last trip and i just re-ordereda fresh one. It has a map of the USA with a spot for all the license plate stickers (peel off the sticker sheet when you see them and add to the map)... plus some puzzles, mazes, that kind of thing. Good investement to help kids keep track of the plates they see.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #1854
DisneyMomma1
Mouseketeer

We will be driving from upstate NY down to WDW. We usually take two days to drive stopping in NC for an overnight stay. This year we will be taking our latest addition, 10 month old DS (we also have DS7). Anybody out there have any experience/advice driving a long distance with little ones? We started driving when DS7 was 3 and he did fantastic but I am a little concered with the new little one.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #1855
Taylor'sMom
Wish I was there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomma1 View Post
We will be driving from upstate NY down to WDW. We usually take two days to drive stopping in NC for an overnight stay. This year we will be taking our latest addition, 10 month old DS (we also have DS7). Anybody out there have any experience/advice driving a long distance with little ones? We started driving when DS7 was 3 and he did fantastic but I am a little concered with the new little one.

Thanks!
Check out the 2,000 mile + thread. Lots of good info there for those of us drivinga long way. (We're driving from Upstate NY too- though DD is older!)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&goto=newpost
Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #1856
katieam1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomma1 View Post

Thanks!
We have driven 5 times with our kids starting when our youngest was 11 months and oldest was 2. What we do is (we also live in upstate NY, we live near Syracuse) we leave at midnight. The kids are asleep the whole night while we drive then in the morning we are a good distance and they never even knew. We are usually in Disney by 9pm the day we leave. So we start at Midnight Saturday then we are there by Saturday at 9pm. So for the kids they only think it was one day drive. It does get tricky on the way home because we take two days to drive back. We leave WDW drive until North Carolina then get a room start again in the am and we are home by 7pm. The two day trip is always harder than the one day power trip. We also bring movies, cds color books, activity games for them LOTS of activities to keep them busy. We stop and fill our tank at a half tank. So we all get out and stretch go to the bathroom and if hungry grab a bite. We really do use our car while down there too so driving for us is best, we stay at BLT and we use the monorail for the two parks then drive to HS and AK. We love NOT using the disney buses. It is a long drive but the trip going down we are all so excited to be heading to WDW and the ride home we are all just so ready to be home. The only time this did not work for us and we had melt downs was when we did a September trip and a November/December trip. It was too close to tackle that drive that close. WAY too close way too many miles. Just I would suggest lots of activities and movies (we always choose Disney ones lol gets us in the Spirit!!)
My family: DH (Dan 35), Me (Katie 30), dd (Shelby 7), & dd(Madilynne 6) Baby #3 due 8/2/14

katieam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #1857
Suzyq9241
DIS Veteran

going May 13-20...

Dh and I usually drive every year.... once or twice we flew.. but when we drive we have fun... one year it took us 4 days to go from NJ to Fl thats the time a deer ran out onto 95 (never saw that)... we didnt care about the 4 days...we had fun...but when we drive it takes us about 17-18 hours straight through... sometimes, we would stop at the top of NC, late at night...and get up around 5 am and drive again to finish the trip.. but I like to begin our trip at about 400 am but hubby pushes it and we leave later than that...which usually gets us in trouble...

I am not sure if we are driving or flying... but which ever i do it will be fine...
Liki Tiki... Thanksgiving 2007
Silver Lake 6/13-6/22/08 11/23/08-11/28/08... Oak Plantation.. quiet.
8/14-8/23/09 Sheraton Vistana Resort
Had a nice time.. but big.. and would you believe my rent a car got hit and the driver drove off while we were in Walmart...Had to pay deductible...(500.00) for something I didnt do...
Leaving on 7/9/2010.... Driving... taking my time 7/14/10 -7/21/10 Orange Lake ... River Island... 3 bdrm... East Village
just my dh and I...was supposed to be 12 of us but now its just us

Suzyq9241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #1858
jcd148
Earning My Ears

Just made the drive!

Just got back from WDW and wanted to share my experience since this board was so helpful in easing my mind about the drive. We had all intentions of leaving SE PA by 5am last Saturday, but didn't make it out until 7am. Took I95 the whole way. We made it to Brunswick GA by 7:30pm, and I had thoughts of driving all the way there, but it was raining hard and I was afraid to risk it any further. Ended up trying the Hampton Inn first (our preferred place to stay), but they were booked solid. Went to the Holiday Inn down the road and they had a room. Left there around 8am and made it to exit 67 off I4 by 12pm. Had a great 4 days at the Wilderness Lodge. We really enjoyed having the car there, as we used it the days we went to Chef Mickey, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios. We used the boats from WL to Magic Kingdom the other two days. We left the WL to come back home on Friday at 7am. Took 95 the whole way again and made it all the way back home by 1:30am. Traffic was ok on 95 except for around DC when I mistakenly took the inner loop of 495 and got stuck in traffic for a half hour (at 11pm at night!). Would not hesitate to do it again, my DW and two DS's were great in the car and we really enjoyed the time together! All in all, it seemed to take around 16 hrs to get there and 16 to get back. Next big road trip will be Emerald Isle, NC over the summer!
jcd148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #1859
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Hello Upstate NYers... We made the trip twice in the last few years. We take I-77 south (or I-79 to I-77) to i-26 to I-95. (From Syracuse I would take I-81 to I-77).

We try to make the first day longer and push for Columbia SC to stay over.
That allows us to sleep in a bit and have breakfast then hit the road for a mid afternoon arrival.

When our daughter was younger, movies and books were the key to keeping her busy, as well as snacks and drinks easily reached.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #1860
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Well looks like we belong in this thread now! We had flights booked on Direct Air.. they aren't happening and we're driving!

So. We are just on the other side of the Buffalo border. Mapquest is predicting a time of 22 hours driving time.
I don't even know where to begin. Dh will be doing all the driving so we are absolutely going to take 2 days to get there. Thinking of leaving after supper on a Thursday night, driving until about 10 or 11pm and staying in a hotel. Then do a full 12 hours or so the next day leaving us only 4 hours or so on the Saturday morning.
It looks like the I-77 to I-26 to I-95 is the preferred route?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: