Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #1816
melmlantz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imscoochy View Post
First time driving! Does anybody know any friendly dog stops/ hotels. also any tips would be well appreciated. Thanks Mitch
We are driving from NY next week.. and we are using Dog Friendly..

http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/tr...y/i95aUS.shtml

That has a list of the dog friendly hotels all along I-95, plus other good resources on the website

Me(26) DH(29) Rajah Jasmine Gizmo Echo

1993: Off-site*
1998: ASM*2005: CBR*2006: Pop*2008: WL!*2011: OKW Christmas Trip*
melmlantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #1817
a66iesmom
Earning My Ears

Griswolds on Vacation

Hi all-
We have a group of 22 going to WDW January 22-28. We are staying a Pop. Our group consists of
• 9 children, age 9 months to 7 years
• 4 grandparents with mobility issues (heart, knee replacements, etc)
• 1 pregnant 7 1/2 months then
• Only 2 adults who have been to WDW recently

We are driving to WDW. We are planning to use a fleet strollers to keep up with the children and all of their stuff.

I know that most recommend driving to all the other parks, and taking the bus to the Magic Kingdom.

Here's my question: Would it be any easier to drive to the TTC, then take a monorail to the Magic Kingdom? Just thinking of the stroller deal. Or, do you all still suggest taking the bus anyway.

thanks!
a66iesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #1818
ljtr421
Earning My Ears

Driving from PA

We drive every year. (Twice this year). With 5 boys, flying was never an option. Once they started driving it was much easier. 20yo actually drove most of the way this past May. This trip will be the hardest. I will be the only drive on the way down. Planning to stop in St. George, SC, jut as I get on 95.
ljtr421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #1819
hibricc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a66iesmom View Post
Hi all-
We have a group of 22 going to WDW January 22-28. We are staying a Pop. Our group consists of
• 9 children, age 9 months to 7 years
• 4 grandparents with mobility issues (heart, knee replacements, etc)
• 1 pregnant 7 1/2 months then
• Only 2 adults who have been to WDW recently

We are driving to WDW. We are planning to use a fleet strollers to keep up with the children and all of their stuff.

I know that most recommend driving to all the other parks, and taking the bus to the Magic Kingdom.

Here's my question: Would it be any easier to drive to the TTC, then take a monorail to the Magic Kingdom? Just thinking of the stroller deal. Or, do you all still suggest taking the bus anyway.

thanks!
Yikes, that's a big group! We've stayed at Pop the last two years, and lots of people have strollers and ECVs on the buses, and they drop you at the MK entrance. I would think if you're going to have all that gear, you might just as well take the bus, rather than loading everyone into cars and then the monorail.
hibricc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #1820
hearts8701
DIS Veteran

windshield cleaner at florida reststop

i recall once exiting at a rest stop in florida about 20 miles before the turnpike on 75 the rest stop had a hose for cleaning your windshield does anyone know which exit it is located

Last edited by hearts8701; 01-01-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling
hearts8701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #1821
BeBeCee
Earning My Ears

Driving from Houston to FW

Wow. This is a huge thread but while i am searching on here for some sound suggestions, could anyone recommend or let me know if they've done the same route and where they stopped along the way? We are leaving the 13th of January in our RV and we are first timers doing this trek.
BeBeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #1822
AR81
DIS Veteran

First timers here also, considering driving from Dallas to Disney first week of June. We actually live in a suburb east of Dallas and very close to I20. So according to mapquest the best route is I20 east all the way through Louisiana and somewhere in Mississippi there is a highway that goes south that will end up on I10 in Alabama or just right outside the Florida stateline. According to mapquest this is about a 17 hr 15 min drive-- I'm rounding it up to around 18 hours not counting stops. Can someone give me any tips/advice about driving this route or another from Dallas? I have read other people saying it is a 22 hour drive from Dallas. I am trying to figure out how long as accurately as possible. Even the other route going down to Houston and taking I10 and going east all the way says 17 hr 45 min. Since we are going back and forth between driving and flying, a 22 hour drive could be a deal breaker for us and would rather fly. 17 1/2-18 hours is doeable in 1 1/2 days. Any advice Dallas drivers?
AR81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #1823
fbarker
Mouseketeer

Help with Interstate Road Construction

I am looking for help with my drive down to WDW from Chicago in March. I will normally check with all the various states Department of Transportation websites but I am finding them more and more difficult to get the information without spending a large amount of time trying to vet my way through all their information. So HELP!! If you can let me know of any significant interstate construction that you might be aware of I would really appreciate it:
Indiana: I-65
Kentucky: I-65
Tennessee: I-65 to Nashville
I-24 Nashville to Chattanooga
Georgia: I-75
Flordia: I-75 to Florida Turnpike

Again, thanks for any help.
fbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #1824
Time4disney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearts8701 View Post
i recall once exiting at a rest stop in florida about 20 miles before the turnpike on 75 the rest stop had a hose for cleaning your windshield does anyone know which exit it is located
There is a rest area at exit 346 on I-75. We love those automatic windshield hoses! It's also a great way to cool off the car when driving through in the summer!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #1825
hearts8701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4disney View Post
There is a rest area at exit 346 on I-75. We love those automatic windshield hoses! It's also a great way to cool off the car when driving through in the summer!
thats the one! the rest stop clean with several long hoses a great place to stretch our legs its a nice break entering florida to re-group clean up the car from snacks fold blankets potty break etc.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #1826
billlaurie
Alwaysthinkingboutthenext trip

Advice for Driving to Disney from Maryland Feb. 2012

Four of us, two adults and two boys age 9 and 12, will be driving to Disney for the first time from central Maryland. We have flown the two previous trips and are looking to spend less money and have more flexibility by having our own vehicle. We plan to leave about 4 pm on a February Friday and drive straight thru except for stops for food and bathroom breaks. Any suggestions on routes, places to stop to eat, staying awake, etc. would be appreciated. Also, how long can we expect this to take with minimal stops?
billlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #1827
#1 Goofy Fan
Earning My Ears

Made the drive from PA in 2009. DH did all the driving. Left around 7 p.m. after dinner - kids (7 & 8 at time) packed snacks/drinks - stopped for gas as needed (bathroom / and extra large coffees) on the way down - only meal we stopped for was breakfast. To stay awake (my job and watching signs) - we listened to music and drank coffee, not to mention the excitement of the trip (surprise for kids - they thought we were going to GA to visit family).

Coming home - stopped 2 meals (lunch & dinner) but same kept driving till needed gas. Drive home was more difficult it poured rain from Florida border to our front door and kids were sad trip was over. Although we have considered flying again, having our own car was great and will probably drive next time we plan to go.
#1 Goofy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #1828
billlaurie

Glad to hear that you would do it again! How long did it take you? Did they let you check in your resort room early?
We've looked at mapquest and the disney site and have found times ranging from 14.5 hours to 17.5 hours. A big difference!
Although we are hesitant about driving all night, we figured the boys would sleep most of it and that would make our trip easier.
Did you go to the parks on the day of arrival or were you too wiped out?
billlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #1829
mommyofthreeboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlaurie View Post
Did you go to the parks on the day of arrival or were you too wiped out?
We left around 5pm in 2010 and drove straught through, arriving at 7:30am. We went to Animal Kingdom when we got there. We were pretty tired but managed. My DH who did most of the driving was very quiet that day. Too tired for smiles. No tempers flared but we all agreed that no one could be grumpy or it was bedtime. We are going to try it again in 53 more days
September 2008-ASsp- Anniversary trip-just DH & I
April 25-30, 2009- BWV with a friend
March 21-25, 2010- first cruise! and a stay at POR and CS. On the Wonder.
January 3-8, 2011- 2nd cruise! On the Magic.
(41) (38) (20) (15) (13)
mommyofthreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #1830
billlaurie

Wow! 14.5 hours from Indiana. Sounds like you made fabulous time. Was your resort room ready when you arrived?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: