Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
craedaisy12
Mouseketeer

WDW for couples: Best Trips

I've been to Disney plenty of times. But this October, my DBF and I have a trip planned and I've never been with just myself and someone else. With my family it's always been 4-12 people there.

So I would like to hear stories of how wonderful couple trips can be.
craedaisy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
gules
Crazy for my hero

My husband and I go just about every year, and we always have a fantastic time together. We're not typically into the overtly romantic types of things-- we like to goof off and be silly and generally just be together without any pressure. So our style of hitting the parks might be different from others.

What we usually do is try a new restaurant with ADRs (but only one because we don't like to stress). I've been on a character dining kick, so we usually do those and I ask him to do silly things like pretend to propose to Drusilla (best pic ever). We also have ride favorites that we hit, and decide when to go to those even if we have to stand in the longest line ever. In line, we hold hands or talk or doodle (I always have paper and pen) or play Heads Up on the phone. Or search for hidden Mickeys! We also walk each other through lines of rides the other one doesn't like. I love the Tower of Terror but he hates it, and he just goes through the line to admire the scenery with me, then asks to leave when the ride loads up. <3

In Epcot in particular, I love Off-Kilter. When we catch then playing it always makes me want to dance. We recently went to Jellyrolls, and if you like a boisterous good time and singing, that is definitely the place to go! We had so much fun, and went to bed still singing. There is a cover charge, but we felt it was worth it.

So I guess what I trying to say is that... Even after 5+ years of going as a couple, we still find things to enjoy. What I think is great is that the different atmosphere really lends itself to find new things to talk about that don't have to do with everyday life. Even walking around holding hands feels more intimate and exciting, and he has the opportunity to continue to woo you by doing things like buying you that Mickey Ice Cream you super-want, or getting you a Mickey/Minnie pin.
gules is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
justlook3
Mouseketeer

I've only been once with other people since I was an adult. And let me tell you that group trip was a disaster! In fact some of us stopped speaking! Even at our vow renewal we only met up with our guests for events related to that, we didn't tour with them. We don't have children and we're kinda set in our ways I think. We can ride the rides we want, we can follow our plan and we can make better time. I love just going with my husband! I do admit sometimes I'd love to have enough people to do one of those cool private events I see. But otherwise, we have great trips just the two of us!
Most recent trips: 2004 (3), 2005(2),2008
justlook3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

DH and I try to go to Disney once or twice a year (when we're lucky enough to have the funds) since 2011. We've had so much fun together so far, it's hard to imagine we could actually have that much fun with a group of people.

Although we really enjoyed visiting the theme parks in the first times (first and second trip), now we only keep 1-2 days of theme parks and spend the rest of the vacation out of it.

While visiting, we try to create a great balance between stuff we love and new stuff. Ex: 'Ohana and Raglan Road are our two favorite restaurants so we usually get ADR for one or the other, then we get ADR for restaurants we have never tried. We also found that Downtown Disney had a lot to offer to adults (shows, bars, Bowling, etc.) and we also discovered Fantasia Fairways mini-golf which is a lot of fun too.

We found Epcot very romantic at night while Food and Wine Festival (eating great tapas and drinking champagne while walking around the world!)... and I'm told they recently added After Hours and it sounds just as fun), but it was also romantic (and magic) while Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party in MK. In Animal Kingdom: the Kilimandjaro Safaris! Awwwwww!!! (They recently added a new party at night that sounds a bit pricey but wonderful!)

There are a lot of restaurants that can be romantic for couples: Be Our Guest (dinner in a gorgeous castle), 'Ohana (exotic), Via Napoli (feeling like dining in Italy, on a trattoria?), Sci-Fi Dine-in (back seat of a car... Kinda romantic too!), Coral Reef (Wonderful fishtank and dimmed lights), Les Chefs de France (Dining in Paris? Yes, please!) are those we tried and I'm thinking about right now.

But don't think you cannot have "young-at-heart-kind-of-fun"! DH and I had breakfast at 'Ohana with all the characters... We took a lot of pictures and it was super fun!

The 4 resorts hotel we stayed at all felt romantic too: Port Orleans French Quarter, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Coronado Springs. They got a lot to offer... (We plan on trying Art of Animation and maybe some other values the next times...)

We've been to WDW 5 times since 2011 and we are currently planning our 6th and 7th trips. We just can't get enough WDW!!!
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
craedaisy12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gules View Post
My husband and I go just about every year, and we always have a fantastic time together. We're not typically into the overtly romantic types of things-- we like to goof off and be silly and generally just be together without any pressure. So our style of hitting the parks might be different from others. What we usually do is try a new restaurant with ADRs (but only one because we don't like to stress). I've been on a character dining kick, so we usually do those and I ask him to do silly things like pretend to propose to Drusilla (best pic ever). We also have ride favorites that we hit, and decide when to go to those even if we have to stand in the longest line ever. In line, we hold hands or talk or doodle (I always have paper and pen) or play Heads Up on the phone. Or search for hidden Mickeys! We also walk each other through lines of rides the other one doesn't like. I love the Tower of Terror but he hates it, and he just goes through the line to admire the scenery with me, then asks to leave when the ride loads up. <3 In Epcot in particular, I love Off-Kilter. When we catch then playing it always makes me want to dance. We recently went to Jellyrolls, and if you like a boisterous good time and singing, that is definitely the place to go! We had so much fun, and went to bed still singing. There is a cover charge, but we felt it was worth it. So I guess what I trying to say is that... Even after 5+ years of going as a couple, we still find things to enjoy. What I think is great is that the different atmosphere really lends itself to find new things to talk about that don't have to do with everyday life. Even walking around holding hands feels more intimate and exciting, and he has the opportunity to continue to woo you by doing things like buying you that Mickey Ice Cream you super-want, or getting you a Mickey/Minnie pin.
I love how you play games in line! I know my DBF and I will have a lot of fun. And since it's his first time I don't want to plan to many ADR cause he doesn't like to have a lot of things planned out. And when I have things planned I get worried if they will work out.. So with it just being the two of us I am trying to forget about the things that might go wrong as I'm used to cause of my large family trips. ( there's always someone in a bad mood :/)

I've been 9 times since 2007, and so excited for my first couple trip! I'm sure he will surprise me during this trip. He said I'm not aloud to have a countdown until it's 100 days out... It's 108 right now! So excited!

Love your story! Thanks for sharing!

~October 18-26, 2014~
Old 07-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
craedaisy12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlook3 View Post
I've only been once with other people since I was an adult. And let me tell you that group trip was a disaster! In fact some of us stopped speaking! Even at our vow renewal we only met up with our guests for events related to that, we didn't tour with them. We don't have children and we're kinda set in our ways I think. We can ride the rides we want, we can follow our plan and we can make better time. I love just going with my husband! I do admit sometimes I'd love to have enough people to do one of those cool private events I see. But otherwise, we have great trips just the two of us!
Sorry to hear about your group disaster.. My family vacations always had their moments but in the end it was a good trip. We've had some funny stories come out of mishaps. My sister being directionally challenged( we make fun of her for it and she goes along in good spirits). Decided she was going to go get the fast passes for Sourin', before fast pass+, and ended up going the wrong way. I know future world can be confusing if you don't know where you are. Needless to say we beat her there when she had our groups tickets. We did get our fast pass but it was funny how we went her. I then was voted the one to hustle to the attractions first thing in the parks, which is why I love the Fastpass+!

I am excited about making better time with it just being two! Thanks for your story!

~October 18-26, 2014~
Old 07-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
craedaisy12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevelandry View Post
DH and I try to go to Disney once or twice a year (when we're lucky enough to have the funds) since 2011. We've had so much fun together so far, it's hard to imagine we could actually have that much fun with a group of people. Although we really enjoyed visiting the theme parks in the first times (first and second trip), now we only keep 1-2 days of theme parks and spend the rest of the vacation out of it. While visiting, we try to create a great balance between stuff we love and new stuff. Ex: 'Ohana and Raglan Road are our two favorite restaurants so we usually get ADR for one or the other, then we get ADR for restaurants we have never tried. We also found that Downtown Disney had a lot to offer to adults (shows, bars, Bowling, etc.) and we also discovered Fantasia Fairways mini-golf which is a lot of fun too. We found Epcot very romantic at night while Food and Wine Festival (eating great tapas and drinking champagne while walking around the world!)... and I'm told they recently added After Hours and it sounds just as fun), but it was also romantic (and magic) while Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party in MK. In Animal Kingdom: the Kilimandjaro Safaris! Awwwwww!!! (They recently added a new party at night that sounds a bit pricey but wonderful!) There are a lot of restaurants that can be romantic for couples: Be Our Guest (dinner in a gorgeous castle), 'Ohana (exotic), Via Napoli (feeling like dining in Italy, on a trattoria?), Sci-Fi Dine-in (back seat of a car... Kinda romantic too!), Coral Reef (Wonderful fishtank and dimmed lights), Les Chefs de France (Dining in Paris? Yes, please!) are those we tried and I'm thinking about right now. But don't think you cannot have "young-at-heart-kind-of-fun"! DH and I had breakfast at 'Ohana with all the characters... We took a lot of pictures and it was super fun! The 4 resorts hotel we stayed at all felt romantic too: Port Orleans French Quarter, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Coronado Springs. They got a lot to offer... (We plan on trying Art of Animation and maybe some other values the next times...) We've been to WDW 5 times since 2011 and we are currently planning our 6th and 7th trips. We just can't get enough WDW!!!
During our trip we will be doing parks most days cause he has never been. And will be utilizing our vouchers for Fantasia Fairways and Disney Quest, (the 5 floors of virtual fun appeals to him. I've been to it but want him to have fun as well) he also wants to go to Splitzville, for bowling so that will be fun since I've never been there.

I've been trying to get a ADR for BOG but still hoping to get one, and our first night there I've got a ADR for Sci-Fi!

Thanks for sharing your story!

~October 18-26, 2014~
Old 07-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
lam0037
Mouseketeer

I am interested in this thread, as I'm taking my first couples trip with my boyfriend in December. He's been only once before, when he was 2, so were in a similar situation!

One thing we are doing for each other is picking a surprise for the other, with a $50 max. Our trip is our Christmas gift, but we wanted to do something extra in terms of a gift. Since I like to plan, I booked a carriage ride at POR one night. I'm sure his will be buying me something sweet in the park, unless he asks my mom for help in planning something.

Also, we're staying at all star sports. Not super romantic, but that's not really our style and were bringing things like Christmas decorations and also wine to make it more homey for us

I know you are going to have an awesome trip though! I've done big trips with my family and just girls trips with my mom before, and the trips with just my mom tend to go a lot smoother, require less planning and tend to be more enjoyable so I think you'll be fine!
lam0037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #9
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

My advice: Get ADR's for the restaurants that are more popular (Like Be Our Guest, 'Ohana ... Those who are impossible to walk-in)... and then clear the rest of your schedule: depending on when you are going (especially during low season), some restaurants can accommodate you without reservation.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by craedaisy12 View Post
During our trip we will be doing parks most days cause he has never been. And will be utilizing our vouchers for Fantasia Fairways and Disney Quest, (the 5 floors of virtual fun appeals to him. I've been to it but want him to have fun as well) he also wants to go to Splitzville, for bowling so that will be fun since I've never been there.

I've been trying to get a ADR for BOG but still hoping to get one, and our first night there I've got a ADR for Sci-Fi!

Thanks for sharing your story!

~October 18-26, 2014~
I just noticed you're going during low season. You might get to score some good restaurants without reservations. Be patient for Be Our Guest, you might be able to get one. Or try to get the Fast Pass + for lunch time!

And Splitsville is a bit pricey but awesome.

In Fantasia Fairways, we tried both 18 holes (one funny, the other one more serious with a lot of challenges. Loved both but I prefered the serious one!)
Old 07-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #11
craedaisy12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam0037 View Post
I am interested in this thread, as I'm taking my first couples trip with my boyfriend in December. He's been only once before, when he was 2, so were in a similar situation! One thing we are doing for each other is picking a surprise for the other, with a $50 max. Our trip is our Christmas gift, but we wanted to do something extra in terms of a gift. Since I like to plan, I booked a carriage ride at POR one night. I'm sure his will be buying me something sweet in the park, unless he asks my mom for help in planning something. Also, we're staying at all star sports. Not super romantic, but that's not really our style and were bringing things like Christmas decorations and also wine to make it more homey for us I know you are going to have an awesome trip though! I've done big trips with my family and just girls trips with my mom before, and the trips with just my mom tend to go a lot smoother, require less planning and tend to be more enjoyable so I think you'll be fine!
Aww I like that idea of a surprise while you're there! I was able to stay at POR for two nights last spring. It was such a beautiful resort!

We are staying at POP so it's not that romantic either, I showed him that resort and he saw the statues from The Jungle Book and want to stay right by it. I told him ill do my best getting a room close to it. Haha

~October 18-26, 2014~
Old 07-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #12
craedaisy12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
My advice: Get ADR's for the restaurants that are more popular (Like Be Our Guest, 'Ohana ... Those who are impossible to walk-in)... and then clear the rest of your schedule: depending on when you are going (especially during low season), some restaurants can accommodate you without reservation.
Thanks! I've eaten at both! BOG I've had the lunch and dinner. If I'm unable to get the dinner I'll be fine with the lunch.. I just know my DBF wants to eat there. Yeah I think it would be easier to accommodate 2 ppl rather than a party of 6. I'm hoping for the best!

~October 18-26, 2014~
Old 07-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #13
craedaisy12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I just noticed you're going during low season. You might get to score some good restaurants without reservations. Be patient for Be Our Guest, you might be able to get one. Or try to get the Fast Pass + for lunch time! And Splitsville is a bit pricey but awesome. In Fantasia Fairways, we tried both 18 holes (one funny, the other one more serious with a lot of challenges. Loved both but I prefered the serious one!)
Thanks, I know Splitsville is pricey, I've never been in it and want to see it, and of course our packages comes with a 10% off during the week before 4. So that will help some!

~October 18-26, 2014~
Old 07-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #14
PrincessDisneyFan
Earning My Ears

Doing Disney as a couple is probably now my favorite way to do Disney. I have been down to the parks 10 plus times since 1996 (mostly family vacations) and have to say that group verses 2-some is a totally different animal.

*Please note I do not have children of my own as of yet, so I can not weigh-in on my 'own' family trip)*

Anywho. Each trip me and the D-Hubby take now include one or two new things.

For example.

We are going to be doing the Food and Wine Festival this October again.
and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.

(In 2012 he went as Hansel and I was the attractive younger witch)

This year he is going to be Loyd from Dumber and Dumber... and I am going to be the unobtainable Cinderella (those that know the premise of Dumb and Dumber will understand why)

We love dressing up and this is the only time adults get to dress up in the parks.

New things happening this trip...

Staying for the first time at our Grand Floridian DVC Villa

Lunch with an Imaginer at the Brown Derby

Hopefully, now that I have some time to write I will get my Trip Post up about my Disneymoon this past Christmas. There are tons of romantic couple things I can comment on.

I hope you two have an awesome time. You will LOVE it!

1st Disneyworld Trip 1996 (12 years old)
Celebrated Christmas DisneyMoon Dec 2013

Disney D23 Gold Member since 2010

Disney Vacation Club Member *The Villas at the Grand Floridian* since September 2013

PrincessDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #15
Skykyo
Earning My Ears

It's awesome you will love it
Skykyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: