Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2003, 08:26 PM   #1
kimmie
Sometimes I have senior moments ya know
The TF's are busy people and we are restricting posters to a one tag maximum :)

Spirit Airlines ??

Found a nice deal from ORD to MCO on Spirit. Can anyone tell me about them? How reliable are they? How old are the planes? Will they be around for awhile?

TIA
Old 05-23-2003, 10:15 PM   #2
ScarletIndigo
Certified Sweetpea

Re: Spirit Airlines ??

Quote:
Originally posted by kimmie
Found a nice deal from ORD to MCO on Spirit. Can anyone tell me about them? How reliable are they? How old are the planes? Will they be around for awhile?

TIA
Hi Tia!

DF and I are also taking Spirit from ORD to MCO. When is your trip, and what rate were you able to get your tickets at? We're visiting WDW from Sept 28 - Oct 5 and our rate was approx. $185 per person *including* taxes and fees. We booked through CheapTickets.com -- where did you find your rate?

Spirit Airlines planes look to be the same size and specifications as the smaller American Airlines planes I've taken. Not much room though (and for a gal who's 6' tall, you miss having decent leg and head room!)

Let me know when your trip is, and if mine falls before yours, I'll be glad to let you know how the "Spirit Experience" goes!
ScarletIndigo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2003, 05:48 AM   #3
DisKim
DIS Veteran

I have not flown Spirit yet. I will be flying with them in July. My relatives fly Spirit Air to visit us several times a year and they have never had a problem. One strange thing about them is that they often tend to arrive before the scheduled arrival time.
DisKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 07:34 AM   #4
finnie48
Mouseketeer

Spirit Air -

Hi!
We flew Spirit out of Atlantic City to Tampa in April. The planes were clean and the flights smooth, and slightly ahead of schedule. We would use them again without hesitation. Bob
finnie48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 09:00 PM   #5
Illinois Mark
Earning My Ears

Flying Spirit in several weeks

We are flying Spirit out of ORD in several weeks. This will be our first experience. Most of their planes are MD-80's which are the same that American flies out of ORD. My two concerns were lack of flights (only 2 each day) and no assigned seating until you get there. We are taking first flight at 7:25 am. If you book on Spiritair.com you can actually choose your seats. This is something new but we can not take advantage because we booked prior to the date this option went "live". You cannot beat the price. I will let you know how it goes when return.
Illinois Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 09:34 PM   #6
ScarletIndigo
Certified Sweetpea

Hi Mark!

Please do let us know -- I'll be taking Spirit out of ORD in September, so I'll be very interested to hear about how your flight goes, especially the whole seat assigning issue. Yikes!

Have a great vacation!
ScarletIndigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:16 AM   #7
MikeJ
If the Tooth Fairy and Santa can find me wherever I am, why not the Tag Fairy?? Given what I got from Santa this year, I must be a good boy!!

We flew Spirit out of DTW a couple of years ago. They do fly MD80s (revamped DC9s) and although the planes were clean, they were showing their age. On the outbound flight, they had substituted planes (the new one had a different seat configuration) and once we boarded three of us found our alleged seats were where the galley stood. The flight attendants were very good at rearranging people on the plane to get us seated together. Return flight was uneventful, albeit 4 hours late because weather conditions in DTW prevented our plane from leaving Detroit when it was supposed to.

That being said, I'd fly Spirit again. I never felt unsafe on their planes (I can't always say that about airlines ) and the crew were extremely professional.

- Mike
Disneyland - Dec 75 Disneyland - Dec 79 Offsite - Jan 87 CBR - Apr 95 Offsite (Vistana) - Apr 97 FW Cabins - Nov 99 OKW - Dec 00/Jan 01 ASmu/BWV/WL - Dec 01 RPR/Disney Magic - Sep 02 HRH/OKW/AKL - Aug 03 BCV - Dec 04 SSR/Poly (Sans Kids) Oct 05 BWV - Jul 06 GF - Jan 07 GC (California) - Jul 07 VB - Jun 08 (DW b'day) SSR/CR - May 09 OKW - Aug 09 BWV - Nov 09 AKL (Jambo) - Mar 10 AKL (Kidani)/BLT - Jun 11 OKW - Nov 11 SSR - Jan 12 AKL/VB - May 12 BWV/VGF - Mar 14 BCV Oct 14
MikeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 12:10 AM   #8
mirmatt
Mouseketeer

Flown many times

We have flown with Spirit on several trips, especially Detroit to Orlando, and I would do it again. We are using them twice in June. Planes seem to be more spacious than other lines, if you can figure. Been happy and would recommend them. Marla Prices are usually great if you watch on the internet.
mirmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 06:38 PM   #9
Illinois Mark
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up Just returned on Spirit

We flew Spirit for the first time and returned to O'Hare yesterday. I would certainly recommend them. The price of about $700 r/t for 4 people could not be beat. We flew MD-80 planes both ways. These planes have three seats an aisle and then another two seats across. We arrived at the airports early so we all got to sit together. There was an odd situation in Orlando when preparing to leave. Somehow four people UNDER the age of 18 were seated by the emergency doors. This created a problem and we were not allowed to take off until people over 18 were seated there. Per FAA rules all persons seated by emergency exits must be at least 18 years old and in good health. There was only one empty seat on the plane so it took some switching around. Several Spirit gate employees entered the plane to try to sort this out. It took some time but we finally took off. I have never experienced this before and am not sure how this situation was allowed to occur. This was a very minor issue and it would not prevent us from flying Spirit again. If anyone has any questions please ask.
Illinois Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: