Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2004, 12:32 PM   #31
adriannabannana
I'd rather be in WDW

This is awesome! I'm going to do this with my daughter for our next trip. I love the hat idea combined with this! Wooo-hoo!!!

Oct 2003 BWV Family Reunion
Oct 2001 BWV Mom-in-Law and Preggies
Oct 2000 BWV First Anniversary
Oct 1999 Beach Club Honeymoon
Apr 1984 First Trip to Orlando WDW
Sep1982 Second trip to Disneyland
1975 First trip to Disneyland, a Disney fan is born!!
adriannabannana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:50 PM   #32
ecuagoddess
Mouseketeer

great post, twotoohappy! my DD will be 3 when we go, but i know she can learn most of that. she speaks fluent spanish (we are Ecuadorean) and a good amount of english too. she loves talking, so this is great!
thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jan '83 Offsite * July '90 Offsite * March '01 Offsite * Nov '04 DCL 3-nt Bahamian, AKL & CSR * Jan '05 ASMo * June '08 AKL/Pop * Oct '09 DLR * Dec '12 Aulani * May '13 DCL 7-nt Alaska

Next Trip... June '15 AoA/AKL

ecuagoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2004, 03:10 PM   #33
MNTerri
Earning My Ears

That's a great idea! Thanks for posting the hellos and thank- yous!
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'February 9, 2005 2:09:05 AM CST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=green> Are we there yet? </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Wa-hoo!!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
MNTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 12:04 PM   #34
stars75238
Mouseketeer

great idea, I wish I had thought about that when at AK, i think there they were saying Jambo Rafiki for good morning in swahili, not sure though, never thought to make a note, though now I wish I had.
stars75238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:18 AM   #35
Baloo

Laughter is the bloom
of a happy heart
Italian pixie
**WARNING**
Wand is a wooden spoon!

Jambo is hello in Swahili.

When you're in line for the safari ride in the AK there are several big signs with pictures of animals on them with the Swahili name....for example,and the one I rememeber! Lion is Simba.I know my 2 boys get a kick out of learning those words too.

Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:41 PM   #36
Lil_Tink
Working my way up to the top..
I would go and smack them over the head
Haha thats how I keep my friends entertained

Ah.. is my mom gonna make me remeber all that now.. *runs* hehe that sounds fun
we move on, we move out,
we move away from our families & form our own.
but the basic insecurities, the basic fears
and all those old wounds just grow up with us.
we get bigger, we get taller, and we get older.
but, for the most part, we're still a bunch of kids
running around the playground,
trying desperately to fit in.
-- Grey's Anatomy

Lil_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:24 PM   #37
MaxH
Mr. Nice Guy

I hope I'm not stepping on your toes, twotoohappy, but I wanted to offer a couple of notes more appropriate for the adults and older kids who are really interested in other cultures. Thank you for going to the effort of putting all this down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotoohappy
Mexico:
Hello = Hola [oh-lah]
Thank you very much = Muchas gracias [moo-chahs grah-see-ahs]
Good-bye = Adiós [ah-dee-ohs] or Hasta la vista [ahs-tah lah vees-tah]
You can greet someone by saying "Como estas?" (coh-moh ess-tahss), meaning "How are you?", and if they ask you, you can say "Muy bien, gracias"(Mwee bee-en, grah-see-ahss), or "Very good, thanks".

Quote:
China:
Hello = Ni hao [ nee how]
Thank you = Xiéxie [shay-shay]
Good-bye = Zai jien [sigh jee-ahn]
Maybe it's a different dialect, but I think in Mandarin thank you is usually pronounced more like sh(y)eh-sh(y)eh, where it pretty much sounds like sheh, but there's a tiny "yuh" sound in there.

Quote:

Japan:
Good morning = Ohaiyo gozaimasu [oh-hì-yoh goh-zì-mahs]
Good afternoon = Konnichi wa [ kohn-nee-chee wah]
Good evening = Konban wa [ kohn-bahn wah]
Thank you = Arigato gozaimasu [ah-rr-gah-toh goh-zì-mahs]
Although just knowing any Japanese is probably enough, in Japan a customer would probably not use gozaimasu to a server. It's a more polite form, and while in Japan a server might use it with a customer, they would probably be embarassed if a customer used it towards them. I would use "ohayo" for a greeting, and "domo" (doh-moh) for thank you. Domo is technically "very", but the phrase "domo arigato" is often shortened to domo. If you want to be effusively, knee-bendingly grateful, like a CM found your baby about to crawl off a ledge and saved her/him, you can say arigato gozaimasheeta(goh-zayee-mah-shee-tah), which is about as polite as you can get.

Quote:
Morocco:
Hello = salam alekoum [sah-lahm ah-lee-cohm]
Thank you = baraka llahu fik [bah-rah-kah lah-hoo feek]
Good-bye = llah ihennik [lah ee-hen-neek]
If someone says salaam aleikum to you first, you should reply aleikum salaam. Just reverse the words.

I hope this makes your conversations in Epcot a little more fun! Thanks again to twotoohappy for doing most of the work first!
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'May 08, 2005 1:55:00 PM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue> Our flight leaves in:</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'We\\\'re off to WDW!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
MaxH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:21 PM   #38
pezpam
DIS Veteran

An excellent idea. We lived in Japan for a while, but my daughter was too young to remember. She is, however, fascinated with the idea that she was there. When we got to the Japanese Kidcot station, I reminded her of how to say hello in Japanese. She said it and the young woman helping the kids out started a converstaion with her about Japan and even wrote her a note and her name in Japanese when the Kidcot activity that day only required her to write "Japan" on the paper cutouts. My daughter was over the moon for quite a while after that.
pezpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:21 AM   #39
monymony3471
Finally got a chance to come back and crack this thing
Where did you find those set of ears?
My mamma Jamma is gonna hurt!

I've copies these down and on our 19-20 hour drive down to WDW we will be practicing these phrases!
monymony3471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:36 PM   #40
5disneyfreaks
Mouseketeer

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...90e4/event.png
5disneyfreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #41
cheryl111
Earning My Ears

HEY!!!!! what about a good old english hello?

Ay up Me duck (if you live in the midlands area) = HELLO!! xxx

Yes, its true everyone is called duck, my mum got a few funny looks in Orlando when she called everyone ducky LOL.
cheryl111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:24 PM   #42
rejobako

Hmmmm; the last time I went to Epcot, we made it a point to learn to say "beer" in the language of every country as we ordered them. Luckily, the last two countries going clockwise are English-speaking, because we were in no shape for a quiz by then.
rejobako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:03 PM   #43
Samar
DIS Veteran

You can also say "Ahlan" (ah-laan) in Morocco. It means "hello" in arabic. Asalaamu alaikum (Salaam) is more of a religious greeting in the muslim world.

99- ASMu 00- Off 01- Off 03- Off (mom's house) 05-Off (mom's) 06- Off Dec/Jan 08- High Point World Resort and The Palms Hotel and Villas AKL-Jambo July, 2010 POR August 2012 Disney Dream- 1st cruise! Sept 2013
Samar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #44
mom_of_tinkerbell1
Earning My Ears

We used these greetings last year in Epcot! The kids- my DD16, and nephews 7 and 11- had a blast, and the CM's were very pleased to have children saying hello in their native languages! I even looked up ways to say Goodbye for them.

Another benefit that us Mom's appreciated- it kept the kids occupied on the 18 hour drive to The World!

Going again in June!
mom_of_tinkerbell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:01 PM   #45
Nanette
Cancer survivor, Authorized Disney Travel Planner, Girl Scouts, medical transcriptionist, wife, and MOM

I think this is great, but now... how to say goodbye???

I am taking my Girl Scouts to the World in June and this was one of the things they were going to do towards earning an interets project award. So, if anyone can help me out...

Thanks!

Nanette in VA
49 days until I take my Girl Scouts to the World!
... and we sold A LOT of cookies to get there!!!

first visit 1985 with NSHS marching band!, 1987 off site, 2000 off site, 2002 off site in July, WL in September (second honeymoon!), 2003 off site, 2005 off site, 2006 ASMo in June, Pop in July, off site in Dec, 2007 off site, 2008 Pop in March, off site in July 2010 , Pop Dec 2010,, off site July 2011, off site July 2012,, Sept 2012 Contemporary/Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge/Saratoga Springs/Art of Animation (off site is mother-in-law's house... 15 minutes away from WDW gate!)

Nanette is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: