Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
lansa
Earning My Ears

March vs April with little kids

My husband and I decided that we would take our girls (6, 4 and 1) to Disney over spring break (arrive March 22). Now I'm starting to worry that it will be so crowded that we won't enjoy it. We went three years ago at the end of April and it was great, not crowded at all. I'd like to go the week of April 12, but we'd have to take our oldest out of school. She's only in kindergarten so it wouldn't be a big deal, but it is discouraged. So how bad will it be over spring break? How much better would it be to wait?
lansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #2
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

I would take the kids out of school over being in those crowds any day. Yes they are open later and have more shows. However, the lines are so much longer that you have to stay twice as long to do half the rides. We went last year one week before our official school vacation and even that was too much for me. When I go again, I will take my kids out of school and enjoy every minute.
runsandjumps is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

We went April 2013 and I said never again will be go that close to summer. Silly us went May 2014 and again...horrible! It was way too hot for us. So I would go in March.
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
All Star Sports...2/2015 (just me and hubby)
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

FWIW, Touring Plans has March 22nd-29th with resort wide crowd levels between 7-9 (7s the first 3 or 4 days, then a few nines, then an 8).

April 12-19th's predicted range is 4 (1 day) - 6 (most days).

We went in mid-march in 2013 and we actually found it was a lot colder than we expected. We actually had to bundle DD up a lot on that trip (she was 8 months old at the time).

I would think April, weather wise, would be a nice compromise between March (which can be dicey - cold or warm) and May/June (which just get hot).

With a kid in K, and it being April (not like the first few weeks of school or something), if you are comfortable with it there is nothing wrong with taking her out of school. Just be aware of your school's absence policies, whether or not she can make up any work or if she can substitute maybe a show and tell thing or something, that kind of thing. Talk to the teachers before your trip just so you know what to expect upon return (not asking permission, just so you know what's happening).

The only thing that would make me rethink that is if it is a testing week for the school..I know they have started to do standardized testing with K in some places, not sure about in yours. Making up standardized testing is a pain, so if it were a testing week I'd likely choose not to miss it, but otherwise as long as you're informed and OK with the absence policy, there's no reason not to go then.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
November 2015 (Jingle Jungle 5K)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #5
staceyrhood
DIS Veteran

It will be CRAZY busy, so many spring breaks as well as our local spring break that week...we live next to Disney. Personally I would choose another time to go, you would have a much better time. I would not go anywhere near the parks between March 20-April 13.
Fort Wilderness:
July 13' (loop 800), Aug.13' (loop 800), Oct.13' (loop 800), Nov.13' (loop 800), Dec.13' (loop 800), Feb. 14' (loop 900), Feb. 14' (loop 800), April 14' (loop 900), August 14' (loop 800), November 14' (loop 800)
Disney Vero Beach July 14'
DCL: Wonder 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010
Magic 2005 / Dream 2011, 2012
staceyrhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:06 AM   #6
MickeyMouse2010
Earning My Ears

We took our kids spring break 2012 when I was pregnant with #4. My 3 were 2,4 and 6 and we took my sister to help. Weather was great, but it was insanely busy! I can't imagine not having a 3rd adult with kids that young and crowds that crazy. Never again! Our trip before that was in May of 2010 and it was beautiful to see the flower and garden festival and so much more relaxed without the mobs of people. I'd take a Kindergartener out of school in a heartbeat, but I'm taking mine all out for 3 days to go next October.
MickeyMouse2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #7
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

There are some schools in CT that have spring break that week. Ours is the week before.

I went once during easter week and I said never again will I go a holiday week/spring break included...unless someone else is paying!

Plus for me April is still to cold. Yes I am a wimp. When I go to FL I only want to wear shorts, no long pants, no light coats and I noticed the past 2 yrs we stopped in disney on our way home in April it was chilly compared to the ft. Myers area.
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
monorailsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:47 AM   #8
msmama
DIS Veteran

I think because of where Easter is this year, a lot of schools have their spring break the first week of April/last week of March.

So, you might be ok in that many spring breaks will already be over.

We often go in April (not our spring break week) and it used to be one of my favorite times to go (after February), but it does seem to be busier every year (although we skipped last year).

Flower and Garden at EPCOT is nice, though!

msmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #9
Jbkohler2013
Earning My Ears

We did May last year 1st week and it was perfect but hot. We will be doing mid April this year since the crowds will be smaller and weather should be decent! Doesn't matter though.. Disney is perfect even in the rain!!
Jbkohler2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansa View Post
My husband and I decided that we would take our girls (6, 4 and 1) to Disney over spring break (arrive March 22). Now I'm starting to worry that it will be so crowded that we won't enjoy it. We went three years ago at the end of April and it was great, not crowded at all. I'd like to go the week of April 12, but we'd have to take our oldest out of school. She's only in kindergarten so it wouldn't be a big deal, but it is discouraged. So how bad will it be over spring break? How much better would it be to wait?
April would be our choice. Lower crowd levels and the warmer weather are definitely a better choice with young kids. From our experience, the pool will be just as important as everything else and the better weather is a plus. I would never deal with holiday/vacation crowds given a choice.

For planning, shorter lines...better ADR availability....better chance at getting the FP you want and overall less people in the parks in April. If you go spring break, will you be able to be up and at the parks at rope drop? That is about the only way to help with the high crowds. With a 1 year old, that would be tough I am guessing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: