DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #631
lextri
Earning My Ears

new with question

I am new to this DVC and want to make sure I am understanding all of this completely. When we use points for our room...this also includes tickets for WDW? One ticket per person per day stay??? Park hopper and water park option??? And we can add dining??

Sorry if it sounds dumb but want to completely understand it.

Thanks!
Shanna
Old 03-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #632
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextri View Post
I am new to this DVC and want to make sure I am understanding all of this completely. When we use points for our room...this also includes tickets for WDW? One ticket per person per day stay??? Park hopper and water park option??? And we can add dining??

Sorry if it sounds dumb but want to completely understand it.

Thanks!
Shanna
No tickets are included with a point reservation. You can add the standard or deluxe dinin plans, standard is approx. $38 per adult per night of your reservation, $10 per child age 3-9. Deluxe is $70 per adult, $20 per child.

Park tickets can be purchased either at check-in or through any authorized outlet.

If you are renting a reservation from an owner, the owner will need to contact Member Services on your behalf to add the dining plans at least 48 hours prior to you arrival at the resort. You will pay for those plans at check-in.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #633
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

And thanks for resurrecting an old Rich post. It's been a while since we've all thought of him via one of his posts.

All you get for your points is your room. Nothing else.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #634
sandals1959
Disney Nub

complaints about renting

I am a new DVC owner, and I am a little put off by so many complaints about renting points out. The last I looked this country's economy is based on a free market system, and this system has worked better than any other tried to date. I am a single parent and my thought was to buy other DVC points and rent them out to defray the costs of ownership. I am not looking to get rich, but to be able to treat my children once in a while without breaking the bank. I am not on welfare, I went back to school to finish my degree, got a decent paying job and took my children to DW for the first time ever Nov. '07. My oldest is 18. It isn't like we live high off the hog. Why shouldn't I be able to buy something and rent it out? Homeowner's do it all the time.

I am not trying to be rude, but if it bothers anyone that much why are you a member in the first place? IMHO If you want exclusivity, get a home in the Hamptons.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #635
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandals1959 View Post
...I am not trying to be rude, but if it bothers anyone that much why are you a member in the first place? IMHO If you want exclusivity, get a home in the Hamptons.
I guess it bothers some people because we were told that DVC was for personal vacation experiences and not for achieving rental income.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #636
colleen costello
Is in a "just back from OKW and why can't I live there all the time?" depression

Sandals, there are lots of people who are "middle of the road" in terms of how they feel about renting, yet what you tend to hear most on the Boards (and probably in life, perhaps) is the extreme views on either end. Many people have no issue with members renting occasionally to friends or family, or even renting fairly regularly to make a profit as you described. Yet what tends to freak people out is the thought that "professional renters" with gobs of points they NEVER use themselves, are booking precious reservations (Christmas week at Wilderness, Food and Wine at BCV) and then selling them to the highest bidder on (gasp!) Ebay. It makes it harder for members to get the reservations THEY want -- or at least they suspect it does -- so there is a backlash against "professional renters."

At this point Disney seems to have heard this grumbling and is attempting to "rein in" this type of renting. I personally suspect this is less out of respect to member complaints than a desire to micro-manage and see more points go unused (and hence returned to Disney) -- but hey, maybe I am a conspiracy theorist when it comes to Mickey... In any case, that is my simplistic little explanation of the uproar.

When I bought DVC, I KNEW you could give away or rent points, but the concept of "professional renting" never really occured to me. Like me, there are probably a lot of people who hear about it and go "Hey that's not fair..."

And for what it's worth, I always say a little hello to Richyams when I visit the Haunted Mansion as I recall learning that a minute portion of his remains reside there.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #637
luvindisneyworld
Fireworks then a sundae - good stuff
Glad to hear you wll be spending more time here

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I know I think about him and his posts quite often.
Was nice to see this one it has been a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
And thanks for resurrecting an old Rich post. It's been a while since we've all thought of him via one of his posts.

All you get for your points is your room. Nothing else.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:37 PM   #638
TisBit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandals1959 View Post
I am a new DVC owner, and I am a little put off by so many complaints about renting points out. The last I looked this country's economy is based on a free market system, and this system has worked better than any other tried to date. I am a single parent and my thought was to buy other DVC points and rent them out to defray the costs of ownership. I am not looking to get rich, but to be able to treat my children once in a while without breaking the bank. I am not on welfare, I went back to school to finish my degree, got a decent paying job and took my children to DW for the first time ever Nov. '07. My oldest is 18. It isn't like we live high off the hog. Why shouldn't I be able to buy something and rent it out? Homeowner's do it all the time.

I am not trying to be rude, but if it bothers anyone that much why are you a member in the first place? IMHO If you want exclusivity, get a home in the Hamptons.
As already mentioned, the complaints usually center around speculative bookings (booking prime times in the hopes of renting it out later) and large renters. One of the things to consider is that depending on how you do the math, the current points rental just covers the initial buy in investment and MF's. So the point to buying just to rent out will take years to recoup those costs and actually turn a profit. For a normal user, renting is a good option in the even that you cannot take your annual vacation or are looking at losing points. I would not recommend buying extra just to rent, especially with the ever changing rules on renting from Disney.

For the record the contracts and POS specifically restrict commercial use of your DVC, so many of the complaints also come from different interpretations and opinions on what exactly "commercial renting" is.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #639
anniet
DIS Veteran

This is the song that never ends...yes it goes on and on my friends...some people started singing it not knowing what it was and they'll just go on singing it forever just because...

This is the song that never ends...yes it goes on and on my friends...some people started singing it not knowing what it was and they'll just go on singing it forever just because...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 04-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #640
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

I have read the whole thread and decided to respond. I am not a DVC member and I am hopefully renting points from a member for a week in August for a 1 bedroom villa. I have never been able to figure out what the DVC advantage is.....how much do the points "really" cost a member?
Appears there are many variables. I am renting at $10.00/point and I plan on renting again in 2011.
I think I understand member waiting lists, etc. I think I would be unhappy if someone who did not need one but has it booked just because, but if the contract allows it, so be it.
I have never found Disney to be a cheap vacation whether I book a resort room or this year rent points. If it were I would fly down once a month.

Thank you renter for a reasonable room at GCV.

Jack
Old 04-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #641
anniet
DIS Veteran

Seven hundred seventy seven days
fifteen hours
thirty one minutes and
forty-eight seconds.

But I miss the people who originally posted to this thread especially the original poster Richyams so thanks for resurrecting it once again.

Rest in peace buddy!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 04-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #642
LouisianaDisneyFan
DVC Owner, DIS Stockholder, & all-around fan!

I'm glad for the option of renting points simply because I know my family may not be able to swing a full Disney trip every year. With the ability to rent, I am able to recoup the maintenance fees and mortgage I have paid that year and then take a less expensive family vacation closer to home (one that would not also require tickets and Disney-priced food for our enjoyment). Since the right to take that vacation on MY points has already been paid for, I do not see how my renting points to another family would deprive anyone of their ability to enjoy their own investment at Disney. I love being able to go to Disney on a regular basis... bur for us, that regular basis won't always occur yearly, even if the MF's and mortgage do!

Another thing to consider is the value of a dollar in different parts of the country. Those of us in the South do enjoy a lower cost of living locally, and as a result we have much lower salaries compared to those in the north and on the west coast. But, obviously, Disney doesn't have tiered pricing based on your hometown!!! As a result, what may seem like a great Disney deal to someone from an affluent community may be quite cost-prohibitive to someone from a different locale. That little extra that someone makes by renting out their points one year may very well be what enables them to actually travel to Disney with their family the next year.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #643
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

I think it is time to close this post from 2003. Richyams was a good friend to us, but I am sure we can find more current threads on the topic. Thanks all..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: