DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2003, 09:26 PM   #1
snowbirds
Earning My Ears

Angry Interval International Exchanges

We are very upset with the new point exchange system that has been put in place for II exchanges. They have doubled, and no one has given us a rational, reasonable explanation as to why.

We were astounded to learn that a studio now will cost 134 points and a one bedroom 160 for any exchange in high season for the Caribbean which, of course, is always high season. Even resorts which are rated average and not on a par with a Disney resort are commanding those points.

Previously, a studio would cost under 100 points and a one bedroom under 130 points.

When we bought our points, one of the primary reasons was the ability to use the II exchange at a reasonable point cost.

What has caused this drastic change? Does anyone else feel as betrayed as we do?
snowbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 08:38 AM   #2
cherylp3
Florida Resident

One of the reasons explained that there never was a set list of how much exchanges would be in points.

Also while the Caribbean might have been low, another area may have been high ( Lets say 200 points )

Also if you have any quality concerns I would contact DVC, it was explained to us that II only shares their better places with DVC and if you have an inferior stay, I believe both II and DVC would like to hear about it.

Cheryl

DVC Member Cruise 2003 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007
cherylp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2003, 08:45 AM   #3
PamOKW
The two most important items for keeping warm are a hat and gloves
I just went into the twilight zone with this thread
Prefers original Reeses Peanut Butter Cups

I think they went to this system to encourage members to make use of the exchanges. The "unknown" amount versus the point charts we were used to intimidated some folks. I'm hoping that it's true that the increases you see are matched by decreases elsewhere.

Also, as with the Disney resorts, the points can fluctuate. There was a big jump in those points when they revised the system to allow for booking specific types of rooms.
PamOKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 12:00 PM   #4
SimbaNoodle
Welcome home? It's like I never left.

Is there a list somewhere of the new II point charts?

SimbaN.

SimbaNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:54 PM   #5
GrammieMame

DIS Veteran

Caribbean isn't always high season. I was just offered Marriott Ocean Club in Aruba on December 14. 1BR for 134 points because it's off-season . I'm trying to decide whether to take it. Really wanted January or February, but I understand the Marriott is very nice and hard to get.
GrammieMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 03:44 PM   #6
Lisa P.
DIS Veteran

Is there a list somewhere of the new II point charts?

Studio low-season=106, mid=123, high=134
1 BR low-season=124, mid=144, high=160
2 BR low-season=207, mid=252, high=270

For the trade you want to be called "high" season, it's really the most prime time for the location, like Xmas thru March in the Caribbean or a prime holiday ski week. Many places during "red" time will be called "mid" season. If the week you are seeking is classified as yellow or green with II, expect the trade to be called "low" season for DVC trading purposes. HTH.
Lisa P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:43 PM   #7
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by GrammieMame
Caribbean isn't always high season. I was just offered Marriott Ocean Club in Aruba on December 14. 1BR for 134 points because it's off-season . I'm trying to decide whether to take it. Really wanted January or February, but I understand the Marriott is very nice and hard to get.
Was that for an ongoing search where you were searching for a sleep 4 studio? It should be 144 points (mid season) for a 1 BR that time, that's still off season in Aruba but the next week is prime time.

The original post of this thread says some of the things I've said although much more strongly. The stated reason for the change is to simplify exchanges and encourage members to exchange and it seems to be working. It's like charging more per once for the big box of cereal. I am convinced that II put preasure on DVC in some way to work out a new system that would encourage more exchanges, more high season exchanges, and more non OKW or HH deposits while II agreed to accept smaller units in return. More exchanges will decrease the exchange power of those that do exchange. The new system will also impact availability for DVC members more than the old system.

As noted, studios are much higher as are all exchanges that would have been adventure season under the old system. Overall the points are only somewhat higher though.

Since I never saw the old system as a reasonable exchange, this is not a big deal to me but it does cause me to slowly shake my head. In the long run DVC is doing the members a disservice by being so limiting on choices. The loss of bonus weeks, the ability to trade up in unit size, lack of full access to Getaways and Flexchange all fit together to make the program far less than it could be.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:37 PM   #8
snowbirds
Earning My Ears

Dean,

Thank you for confirming what we felt was nothing more than a means of increasing the cost to DVC members for exchanges that are not always the most advantageous. Just try St. Maarten and the Royal Islander Club LaPlage, Maho Bay with those 747 jets streaming in and out on the weekends; be sure to bring ear plugs.

If the goal is to increase the use of II exchanges, why increase the point exchange--as you say "charging more per ounce for the big box of cereal" is not benefitting DVC members.

Can you offer us some alternatives?
Old 03-09-2003, 06:48 PM   #9
CarolA

Hasn't been overlooked by the Tag Fairy

I have followed a lot of Dean's threads on this over the past and have actully done some research. My feeling is that if I was buying to exchange I would NOT do DVC. I think you can buy a resale on a nice exchange property for less than DVC and use that as an exchange. (Every now and then I wander over to tug and look for a good deal, but so far I have not moved on that!)
Old 03-09-2003, 07:07 PM   #10
snowbirds
Earning My Ears

CarolA,

We're beginning to get that message too! But it was nice while it lasted--which wasn't too long; about two years to be exact. We just wish a marketing tool used to encourage ownership wouldn't change criteria so drastically.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:49 PM   #11
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by snowbirds
Can you offer us some alternatives?
Nothing I haven't said before. Rent out your DVC points and pay cash for other timeshare rentals, use Independent Exchange Companies, do direct exchanges with other timeshare owners, buy other timeshares for exchanging and do not buy DVC with the other options in mind including exchanges, DC, DCL and the like.

DVC was never a good exchange option.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:01 PM   #12
GrammieMame

DIS Veteran

Dean: That being said, is the Marriott Ocean Club in Aruba a good offer? I was asking for a studio or 1BR, and got a response almost immediately. Have to let them know something tomorrow.
I read the TUG reviews and while most people gave it high marks, the more recent reviews talked about furniture being run down. There also seems to be lots of construction going on, although that might not be such a problem by December. Also, when I confirm, can I request a certain room view with any likelihood of getting it? The TUG people were very helpful in identifying the best locations, but some locations seem to be not so hot. Also, our checkin day is Sunday. Is that normal, or do different units have different checkins? Thanks
GrammieMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:23 PM   #13
Dean
DIS Veteran

That's why they offered it to you for the 134 points, studio high season. The resort has a lot of construction going on and that could be a problem. Exchangers will get the lowest priority for room assignments. They have Friday, Sat and Sun check in days so you should be OK in that regard. Unlike DVC, it will be certain units that have certain check in days. It's a great resort, just make sure you check air fare before you say OK.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #14
LUV OUR DVC
Earning My Ears

Smile Help ! Need ideas for Thanksgiving 2008

Hi ,
I m new and would like to know if anyone has used Their exchanges for Thanksgiving week to any of the Carribean or Mexico resorts with children close to my kids ages ~ ~ Boy 12 girl 9.
Thanks!!
LUV OUR DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #15
littlestar
DIS Veteran

Wow. I just noticed that this thread is 5 years old - 2003.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: