Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2014, 05:35 AM   #31
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I've been reading a lot of sites and blogs and there are claims that Norway has tried to create a new movie but Disney has rejected that. Also, Norway has tried to get companies involved but they've had a tough time. I don't buy into all of this but I suspect that we don't know the whole truth from any perspective and likely never will.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:39 AM   #32
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I've been reading a lot of sites and blogs and there are claims that Norway has tried to create a new movie but Disney has rejected that. Also, Norway has tried to get companies involved but they've had a tough time. I don't buy into all of this but
I suspect that we don't know the whole truth from any perspective and likely never will.
Yup.

The mysteries of why Disney does what Disney does.

Like why Disney stopped operating the Wonders of Life pavilion after they lost the corporate sponsor… but continue(d) to operate other WDW attractions long after their corporate sponsor(s) have dropped out.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2014, 05:47 AM   #33
minnierocks
DIS Veteran

I didn't like the Three Caballeros update to the ride in Mexico. We skip it on most trips. While I really loved the movie, Frozen, I doubt that adding it to Maelstrom will be an improvement. I enjoy riding it every trip but I have a feeling that adding some characters will change that for me...so sad. Not to mention that once they add Anna and Elsa, it will be a mad dash for most and the lines will become unreasonably long. World Showcase is our break from the craziness of the other parks...it is our leisurely strolling day. I would prefer less characters and more authentic culture. I love going from country to country...eating, drinking and soaking up the atmosphere.
Spring Break Trip 2011
Thanksgiving 2008
Thanksgiving 2007
*October 2006...Keys to the Kingdom
Keys to the Kingdom TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&page=1&pp=15

*Thanksgiving 2005
*February 2004
minnierocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:55 AM   #34
proud_canadian
DIS Veteran

I have nothing against a Frozen ride. But I would much prefer to see a NEW ride added, instead of just once again giving a current ride a facelift. Disney could always use MORE rides, not just replacements.
proud_canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #35
ThinkTink09
Walt is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyIt'sMe View Post
This rumor is not the first the pass this way. Nor shall it be the last.
LOL!

The idea of this makes my very sad....love Malestrom. Glad i got a FP for one last ride in September
POP Oct 2011 F&W + MNSSHP
POR Oct 2012 - Dining Review
POP March 2013
Wilderness Lodge October 2013
Coronado Springs/Cabana Bay October 2014

ThinkTink09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:49 AM   #37
Dayton Flyer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex008 View Post
I did my FP+ this morning (for Oct 21-31)and Maelstrom was missing from the list, although it's not on the official closure/refurb schedule. Anyone with Maelstrom FPs had them cancelled from early October?
I was also unable to book Maelstrom for my Oct. 19-24 trip. That plus the crush of rumors all but verifies it for me. It's going to happen. I just wonder how long it will take them, and if it will be an entire pavilion overhaul or just the ride.

I will miss Maelstrom and it's throwback cheesiness. Sad that my trip is too late to experience it the "old" way one last time.

I was pretty disappointed that the movie wasn't operating the last time I went last October. I am going to miss all the skiing, scary jump cuts, and Norwegian festival scenes from that.
Dayton Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #38
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I don't think a Frozen ride will take over...

Yes, I know that the Mexico ride has Donald BUT, at least the ride is still a celebration of Mexico and Mexican culture.

A Frozen ride would completely eliminate the pavilion celebrating the country and for that reason alone I don't think Frozen is replacing Maelstrom.

Would Norway, the sponsor of the pavilion, allow it? Maybe. But I sure as heck hope not.

I also don't believe a word anyone says until the company announces it... sorry, but I remember when people were CONVINCED Cars Land was being announced LIKE TOMORROW!!! and of course, that hasn't happened (yet).

Unless you're Bob Iger or an Imagineer working on the project directly, you just don't know.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #39
Cold71
Mouseketeer

Oh no worries everyone... Disney will probably just give the boats a paint job, put a hat on the troll, and change the sign to Frozstrom.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #40
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Blame Norway? That was a serious suggestion??

It's DISNEY'S PARK. Disney...the company turning record profits...needs s sponsor to build a friggin' ride?? I call shenanigans. It's DISNEY'S PARK, and they can well afford to build and maintain their own darn park without extorting....err...charity from foreign countries or any corporate entities.

Disney needs to add capacity...not facelift current attractions. The parks are bursting at the seams with guests. Give them someplace to go!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #41
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud_canadian View Post
I have nothing against a Frozen ride. But I would much prefer to see a NEW ride added, instead of just once again giving a current ride a facelift. Disney could always use MORE rides, not just replacements.
I agree, this is actually a lose-lose.

Assuming Disney still has an obligation to presenting the Epcot countries after the parties that contributed to them lose commitment, then they are failing at that with this potential change and others like it.

But for fans of Disney's popular movies these type of changes are for the most part disappointing as well. No matter what the correlations between the Frozen story and Scandinavian countries are the Norway pavilion is poorly suited for this adaption without a lot of effort (as in money), which I'm not expecting.
surferdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #42
Vivianne
Close enough to enjoy what Mass has to offer
I'm ready for a PARTY!

My insignificant opinion is that's too bad. I've avoided posting anything about Frozen because so many kids love it. But to me it's more hype than anything. I rather like the songs for 'Wicked' much more. Sorry but Olaf looks ugly to me. But Disney is going to milk this cash cow for all it's worth. I enjoyed Norway pre-princesses. If this pans out, it will be a quick walk through
Vivianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #43
clsteve
It takes a very long time to become young

Location: Where, if the world ended tomorrow, we wouldn't know for three days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post

It's DISNEY'S PARK. Disney...the company turning record profits...needs s sponsor to build a friggin' ride?? I call shenanigans. It's DISNEY'S PARK, and they can well afford to build and maintain their own darn park without extorting....err...charity from foreign countries or any corporate entities.

Disney needs to add capacity...not facelift current attractions. The parks are bursting at the seams with guests. Give them someplace to go!

Funny, but I haven't heard any rumors of Busch Gardens Williamsburg threatening to turn Das FestHaus into a Bennigan's unless Germany forks over 9 million...

clsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:26 AM   #44
mmafan
DISDAD #780

ttt

it will be interesting
Old 08-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #45
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsteve View Post

Funny, but I haven't heard any rumors of Busch Gardens Williamsburg threatening to turn Das FestHaus into a Bennigan's unless Germany forks over 9 million...
We're all aware that it's Disney's park and they don't actually NEED anything from the countries represented in the parks; however, a part of me HOPES that Norway would perhaps TRY to prevent this from occurring unless they absolutely are as obsessed with Frozen as everyone else...

At the end of the day, Disney will do what they like but the optimist in hopes that the sponsor gets some type of input or at least the chance to voice an opinion.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: