Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2014, 11:28 PM   #16
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I've made it clear how I feel about this so I won't go into it again. Except to say that as a veteran of way more trips to WDW than I should admit, I promised myself that I would never go back to Epcot if the whole Norway pavilion becomes a Frozen attraction. I just couldn't bear it.

Note that I said Epcot. I'm not quite ready to give up the rest even though I don't feel like I once did. This isn't the Disney that I fell for.

And yes, I know that Disney won't miss me or care. That isn't the point.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:44 PM   #17
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Hey, Cars was a pretty popular movie! Let's replace Reflections of China with a ten-minute movie about Tow Mater and his garage! The preschoolers will LOVE it!
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #18
Networth
It all started with a mouse...or something like that.

No offense but the whole “friend of my cousin’s nephews in-law who is Walt’s long lost son said this...” just doesn’t fly with me. I’ll wait till the company states this is true before I get annoyed.

This is not a win for Disney their are much easier ways to milk Frozen take the current Frozen DHS for example.

Next “official" Trip: 9/3/15-9/9/15 Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.
Networth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:12 AM   #19
crystal1273
Mouseketeer

Just remember what Donald did for Mexico, Oh wait it didn't make it any better just more confusing and cheesy.
Yes the World Showcase needs updating but for goodness sake isn't it suppose to be about the countries.
crystal1273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #20
MAD on Disney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyIt'sMe View Post
This rumor is not the first the pass this way. Nor shall it be the last.
Nicely done.
MAD on Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:37 AM   #21
blabbermouth
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Oh, a very high up VP, not just a regular vice president, a super vice president!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:47 AM   #22
Glenn
DIS Veteran

mmmm wonder if the whole pavilion would be ice themed or just the ride part? Considering how slow Disney builds anything I could see at least a yr or more under construction. By then the hype over ice just might be a little dulled by then. Oh by then they also might want to rename world showcase make believe world showcase. One less ride for me to enjoy and ride.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:20 AM   #23
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf

I guess if the government of Norway actually gave a crap about their pavilion they would have stepped up and given Disney the money they wanted for updating it. Instead they've let it go (insert song here). If Maelstrom turns into a carnival ride filled with talking snowmen, don't blame Disney, blame Norway.

2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
jhaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:29 AM   #24
Katie In Wonderland
The First Born Princess of Dunbroch

Quote:

Sorry, had to there.

I'm not a fan of Frozen. At all. Saw it once and just...no. Not my thing at all. LOVED Hans only because I love Santino Fontana (I'm a theater nerd and Santino does theater). I prefer Brave, Tangled and the like to it, that may just be me though. But that's the beauty of life. Not everyone has to like the same thing.

Norway DOES need a fixed up ride but still a Norway ride. A Frozen ride anywhere else would be better than Norway. Maybe DHS? That needs another ride, maybe use one of the old sound stages? A Frozen ride just doesn't fit in with the ideals of Epcot. DHS (which needs more attractions, I think? It always seems a little sparse while looking at the map) or even MK would be a better choice. Maelstrom's one of my favorite rides in Epcot (call me lame, but I'm a nerd and proud of it) and I'd be truly heartbroken if they got rid of it
Basically Real Life Princess Anna.
Got converted to Frozen by the Frozen Stage Show at DHS

'94-Poly, '95 & '96-WL, '97-Bwalk Inn, '99-DXL, '00-CR, '01-Swan, Aug '02-CBR, Dec '02-POR, '03-Swan, '04-WL, '05-BC, '07 CBR/DCL Wonder, '08-ASMu, '09 CBR, '10 ASMu, '11-GF, '12-POR PR, Jan '13- POP, Oct '13 - POR PR, '14 - AoA (LM), Jan '15- ASMu

Katie-Louise (Me) and Mom (Zoo Keeper)
Katie In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:41 AM   #25
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig View Post
I guess if the government of Norway actually gave a crap about their pavilion they would have stepped up and given Disney the money they wanted for updating it. Instead they've let it go (insert song here). If Maelstrom turns into a carnival ride filled with talking snowmen, don't blame Disney, blame Norway.
Wow, this logic makes me dizzy with all of the spin. Nations now have to pay money to keep their pavilions from being taken over and if they don't give in they are somehow to blame for Disney's decisions? Look out France and Germany!
Old 08-22-2014, 05:49 AM   #26
magicbob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig View Post
Sorry if this sounds too personal, but that is ridiculous. Whether or not someone else is providing funding, the decision of what to do with the attraction is Disney's. I understand that the nations providing funding were given some creative input on what "their" pavilion should be. But at the end of the day, Disney is not giving them carte blanche.

And why do they need external corporate funding in the first place? I thought this multi-billion dollar corporation was enjoying record attendance figures and profits. Oh, that's right. They put all of that money into MM/MB/FP+.

Could Maelstrom be updated? Sure. But, to be honest, there are other places in EPCOT that need attention much more desperately. Do a little triage and stop the hemorrhaging at Future World before putting a band aid on WS.

I love Maelstrom as it is, but I can see how adding Frozen characters could enhance it if done right. But whatever Disney decides to do with the ride, the blame (or credit as the case may be) lies at their own feet. They shouldn't need external funding to maintain their park. And, assuming that Norway DID continue to fund it, don't you think Disney would be striking a deal with them to incorporate Frozen anyway?

Ratatouille, the Ride!

magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:00 AM   #27
rex008
Mouseketeer

I did my FP+ this morning (for Oct 21-31)and Maelstrom was missing from the list, although it's not on the official closure/refurb schedule. Anyone with Maelstrom FPs had them cancelled from early October?

Personally, I'd just prefer a refurb. If they rebuild something new, Frozen themed, it'll probably take 3-4 years based on past performance
Old 08-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #28
Elevationist
DIS Veteran

I remember years ago being UPROARIOUSLY ANGRYFACE when Disney announced that The Living Seas pavilion was to receive a complete overhaul and become "The Seas with Nemo and Friends." I posted long upset posts on these boards, the whole nine yards.

Today, I still go and enjoy it. And while there's a tiny part if me that misses the hydrolators... Honestly, it hasn't diminished my enjoyment of the pavilion, the park, or WDW as a whole.

If the Maelstrom becomes Frozen, that's fine. I don't love the idea, but I also know that in the long run, it's not going to change anything for me. I'll still go and enjoy, and throw my money into my happy place.

December 4-11, 2015 Art of Animation

September 2014, Pop Century - December 2009, Coronado Springs - February 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge - January 2005, All-Star Music
January 2002, Offsite - July 2000, Offsite - January 2000, Offsite - April 1998, All-Star Sports - May 1986, Offsite

Elevationist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:18 AM   #29
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttrcp16 View Post
WHY. JUST WHY!?

Surely Walt did NOT envision this for Epcot.
To be fair, Walt never envisioned ANY of what you see in Epcot, for Epcot.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:29 AM   #30
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

It's also worth suggesting that if a Frozen ride was ALREADY now operating in place of Maelstrom, it would be so overrun with guests that it would be THE impossible-to-get FP+ in all of Epcot, if not all of WDW.

There's no way to gauge the exact extent of the long-term popularity of Frozen, or exactly how "loyal" the kids (and others) who simply L-O-V-E everything (EVERYTHING) about it, but with the inevitable pending sequels(s) and the way that we humans relate to our childhood favorites well into adulthood…
I think Disney will have a few more years finding Frozen fans to lure to the parks.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: