Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

Say Good Bye to Maelstrom....A 'Frozen' Ride is Definite

This isn't exactly a secret, but I got confirmation today that Maelstrom will definitely be replaced by a Frozen themed ride in Norway.

My source heard it straight from the mouth of a very high up VP at Disney. (Sorry, I cannot reveal my source.)

I'm a little bummed. I know Maelstrom is old and outdated, but there's something charming about it. I love the idea of a Frozen ride, but would have preferred to see it at another park.
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
kbmartin
Mouseketeer

My DH and I were at Epcot today and rode Maelstrom. I hadn't been on it since 2006, so I didn't remember it very well. I've been following all of the threads about Norway turning into Arendelle, and I agreed that Norway should remain strictly Norway.

After riding, we came to the conclusion that it was one of the worst rides in the park. It was so short and really did not hold our interest. It also had a confusing storyline. (From trolls to oil rigs??? What on earth?) I think anything will be an improvement... even Frozen.

1992 - CBR - I was six years old and was so in love with the World! | 1994 - Offsite for Christmas : | 1996 - Offsite | 1999 - Offsite for Thanksgiving with Cousins | 2004 - Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista Girls Trip | 2006 - POR Mom/Daughter Trip | 2007 - Offsite Spring Break Universal/Sea World Trip with Friends | 2014 - POR Delayed Honeymoon/First Anniversary Trip!!!
kbmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
crazymomof4
DIS Veteran

I predict you will be getting many replies here that will say.... it doesn't move from the "rumor" to "definite" category until it's officially released by WDW.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
TwizzleMouse
Sweet Cream Cheese Pretzel Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmartin View Post
My DH and I were at Epcot today and rode Maelstrom. I hadn't been on it since 2006, so I didn't remember it very well. I've been following all of the threads about Norway turning into Arendelle, and I agreed that Norway should remain strictly Norway.

After riding, we came to the conclusion that it was one of the worst rides in the park. It was so short and really did not hold our interest. It also had a confusing storyline. (From trolls to oil rigs??? What on earth?) I think anything will be an improvement... even Frozen.
It's the history and culture of Norway, what's so confusing about that?!

TwizzleMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
Bluegrrl
Mouseketeer

ARRRGGGHHHH - If this is true- well - I have a number of less than acceptable names and phrases to say!!!! Stupid stupid Frozen!!!!! As I said before, lets just put a Magic carpet ride in Morroco. Turn France into Belle's village? Give China a Mulan make-over with an "escape from the Huns" ride? Does than sound acceptable for a park that needs so MUCH love for the "future" sections?

WS, while a giant shopping mall, is fine. Sure, spruce up the old Norway ride - heck, go all Game of Thrones or Vikings (History channel show) on it. Lots and lots of awesome vikings and trolls! But not Frozen!

Give Future World the love it so SORELY needs! Heck, put the Frozen girls by the Coke area - Frozen Coke?

Give Figment back to us. Take out Captain EO and put an all newly made 3-d Frozen short movie? ANYTHING BUT DESTROY NORWAY!!! UGH!!!

Ok, rant slowwy ebbing....badness level going down....calming down....

But I'm sure that there are many people out there who want to save their beloved Norway. Or at least make it more real and less animated.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymomof4 View Post
I predict you will be getting many replies here that will say.... it doesn't move from the "rumor" to "definite" category until it's officially released by WDW.
Of course. That's pretty much the definition of rumor and definite/official.

But I guess in this case I'll just assume it's definite because I read on the internet that an unnamed source heard from a very high-up VP. Doesn't get any more definite than that.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Old 08-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #8
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymomof4 View Post
Yes, as I would expect. If it was someone else posting, I'd still be skeptical if they can't reveal the source. But I know I love to read these things, so I figured others would like the info even if they can't be sure if I'm right.
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #9
HeyIt'sMe
For Tag Fairy's Use only
That weed whacker just intimidates me somethin' fierce!

This rumor is not the first the pass this way. Nor shall it be the last.

1970s - Contemporary: Nov 1975
1980s - Offsite: Jun 1985
1990s - Polynesian: Oct 1991, Oct 1993

2000s - Polynesian: Sep 2000, Oct 2001, Sep 2002, Oct 2003, Oct 2004, Oct 2006, Oct 2008
2010s - Polynesian: Oct 2010, Oct 2011, Oct 2012, Oct 2013 / Grand Floridian: Oct 2014
Planning Next Trip: Polynesian: Oct 2015
HeyIt'sMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #10
MuddyTires
Mouseketeer

Thought this was interesting to see today giving all the Frozen/Maelstrom talk:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...res-by-disney/
MuddyTires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #11
andeesings
DIS Veteran

I'm confused by this. I mean is Disney just pissed at the Norwegian government isn't paying up?

It makes no sense to put a Frozen ride- Frozen- NOT SET IN NORWAY- into the Norway pavilion. Yeah, there are two Norwegian folk songs in it, and there the connection ends.

Does Maelstrom need a rehab? I guess? Does Epcot need new attractions?? DEFINITELY. Is this the way to do it? Probably not. That being said the Frozen stuff at Hollywood Studios was great and certainly made that park into more of a "whole day" thing for us.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:01 PM   #12
kbmartin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyIt'sMe View Post
This rumor is not the first the pass this way. Nor shall it be the last.

I get it!

1992 - CBR - I was six years old and was so in love with the World! | 1994 - Offsite for Christmas : | 1996 - Offsite | 1999 - Offsite for Thanksgiving with Cousins | 2004 - Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista Girls Trip | 2006 - POR Mom/Daughter Trip | 2007 - Offsite Spring Break Universal/Sea World Trip with Friends | 2014 - POR Delayed Honeymoon/First Anniversary Trip!!!
kbmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:07 PM   #13
crazymomof4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrrl View Post
ARRRGGGHHHH - If this is true- well - I have a number of less than acceptable names and phrases to say!!!! Stupid stupid Frozen!!!!! As I said before, lets just put a Magic carpet ride in Morroco. Turn France into Belle's village? Give China a Mulan make-over with an "escape from the Huns" ride? Does than sound acceptable for a park that needs so MUCH love for the "future" sections?

WS, while a giant shopping mall, is fine. Sure, spruce up the old Norway ride - heck, go all Game of Thrones or Vikings (History channel show) on it. Lots and lots of awesome vikings and trolls! But not Frozen!

Give Future World the love it so SORELY needs! Heck, put the Frozen girls by the Coke area - Frozen Coke?

Give Figment back to us. Take out Captain EO and put an all newly made 3-d Frozen short movie? ANYTHING BUT DESTROY NORWAY!!! UGH!!!

But I'm sure that there are many people out there who want to save their beloved Norway. Or at least make it more real and less animated.
I will second this rant! I love the animation/Princess aspect of Disney as much as any Disney fan but I'd hate to see it slowly "gobble" up large sections of every park. I love the WS just as it is. Yes, update Norway Pavillion but don't turn it into a Fantasyland attraction.... Will seem terribly out of place!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:19 PM   #14
Buttrcp16
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrrl View Post

My sentiments exactly. UGH this sucks. I'm headed to the World next month but wasn't planning a stop at Epcot. Now I feel like I should go to experience my beloved Maelstrom before the powers that be destroy it.

WHY. JUST WHY!? Surely Walt did NOT envision this for Epcot.

2014 trip a success! Already planning 2015!
Buttrcp16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #15
CatelynnMarie
Mouseketeer

Waiting for official confirmation, but this is a bittersweet change if true. The Maelstrom isn't the best of rides, but it's definitely, imo, a World Showcase staple. Then again, it IS outdated and a Frozen replacement would be perfect. Meh I'm not sure how I feel
CatelynnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: