Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #16
jon18uk
Mouseketeer

They won't use Gaurdians of the Galaxy as a character meal, they are the wrong type of character, not clean cut enough. Plus as they aren't covered by the Universal contract they can use Guardians in the parks instead. If they were to use Disney Springs as a location for a Marvel dinner it would be to avoid the Universal contract issues and therefore it would be Avengers characters.
jon18uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #17
ChloeH
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
When Disney Springs was first announced a poster shared a photo of a "board" which showed (potential) stores/restaurants.
My memory is a character restaurant was listed.

Chef Mickey's was moved from DTD to the Contemporary. Don't (almost) all the deluxe resorts have a character meal? Even the Four Seasons and Dolphin. I'd be surprised if a character restaurant didn't show up.

I don't think characters in the Guardians of the Galaxy are included in the contract with Marvel. It can't be long before we see those characters in WDW.
Besides the Swan and Dolphin, I think only three resorts have character meals. Chef Mickey's, Cape May for Breakfast, and GF. I know AKL, Saratoga, Key West, and Wilderness Lodge don't have them.

Something to appeal to tween/teen boys would be great as mine are reluctant shoppers.
ChloeH is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #18
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeH View Post
Besides the Swan and Dolphin, I think only three resorts have character meals. Chef Mickey's, Cape May for Breakfast, and GF. I know AKL, Saratoga, Key West, and Wilderness Lodge don't have them.

Something to appeal to tween/teen boys would be great as mine are reluctant shoppers.
The Poly has Ohana
The campsite at Ft. Wilderness have Mickey's BBQ
Old 08-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #19
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

If they could get away with a avengers character meal.@DTD I think they would do it. Otherwise, I don't think they will. If they thought it made sense they would have done it ages ago.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR

Last edited by skier_pete; 08-29-2014 at 06:46 AM.
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #20
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon18uk
They won't use Gaurdians of the Galaxy as a character meal, they are the wrong type of character, not clean cut enough. Plus as they aren't covered by the Universal contract they can use Guardians in the parks instead. If they were to use Disney Springs as a location for a Marvel dinner it would be to avoid the Universal contract issues and therefore it would be Avengers characters.
Posters in other threads believe the 60 mile restriction applies to character meals. JMO It would make more sense to have a Star Wars or a Pixar character meal rather then go to court for an Avengers meal in DTD
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:53 PM   #21
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
Posters in other threads believe the 60 mile restriction applies to character meals. JMO It would make more sense to have a Star Wars or a Pixar character meal rather then go to court for an Avengers meal in DTD
I don't think disney is going to mess with the avengers characters in WDW. Disney has owned Marvel since 2009 and has done no character meals with anything Marvel yet around the globe. Disney first tried a limited time star wars character meal during star wars weekends this year. I am not sure how the universal/Disney contract works with DTD but I do know that there cannot be any avengers characters in the four theme parks whatsoever. Disney did a monorail wrap for Iron Man 3 when that movie was in theaters but it could only be done on the resort line because that doesn't go in any parks.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:33 AM   #22
ChloeH
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
The Poly has Ohana The campsite at Ft. Wilderness have Mickey's BBQ
Good point. I forgot about those. Mickey sure is popular for those out of park meals.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #23
ErinTwinmom
Earning My Ears

I would love a character meal at Disney Springs and I don't think a meal with marvel characters is out of the question but I do think it is more likely to be big hero 6 than guardians of the galaxy.
ErinTwinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #24
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

I think a character meal would be a good add. T-Rex and Rainforest are already catering to a kids crowd. Theming to an older crowd doesn't make sense, you need families to come shopping so their kids see all the things they can't live without. About the only target we won't see is young adults, dancing and bars.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #25
ChloeH
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBill View Post
I think a character meal would be a good add. T-Rex and Rainforest are already catering to a kids crowd. Theming to an older crowd doesn't make sense, you need families to come shopping so their kids see all the things they can't live without. About the only target we won't see is young adults, dancing and bars.
I agree that catering to kids needs to happen to make Disney Springs popular. I don't think they should ignore young adults or teens either though. It would be great to see some entertainment/dancing that could be geared for older teens and young adults.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:38 PM   #26
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeH View Post
I agree that catering to kids needs to happen to make Disney Springs popular. I don't think they should ignore young adults or teens either though. It would be great to see some entertainment/dancing that could be geared for older teens and young adults.
I agree but disagree. Disney needs to get locals here and spend money. Yes of course tourists are number one and will spend the most but when pleasure island opened and thrived it was because of locals and the entertainment offered. Pleasure island changed and died because those two things died. Disney caters for kids there already. Once upon a toy is a giant toy store. World of disney the largest disney store in the world. Goofys candy company a large candy store. Big pin store, it goes on. Kids don't make the dining choices the adults do. The adults just make sure there is a family atmosphere or it's themed for kids etc. Trex and rainforest do that and I'm sure more restaurants that come along will. While I'm not against a character dining experience in DTD. I don't think it will happen based on disneys current model and because they just don't have too.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: