Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
ChloeH
Earning My Ears

Will they put in character dining in new Disney Springs (DTD)?

With all the new restaurants being built I was wondering if anyone heard rumors of a character meal there? I know that a lot of people don't like the character meals, but I think it could be a real draw to DTD if they had characters not already found in other restaurants.
ChloeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
jnscott4
Huge Disney World Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeH View Post
With all the new restaurants being built I was wondering if anyone heard rumors of a character meal there? I know that a lot of people don't like the character meals, but I think it could be a real draw to DTD if they had characters not already found in other restaurants.
I hope not.
jnscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
jcnewton
Never as happy as I am in Florida

Haven't read anything about any, but I hope not as well. Nothing against character dining, I love them from time to time, but hopefully DTD or (DS) dining continues to skew toward the older crowd.

jcnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
ChloeH
Earning My Ears

I think there is plenty of room to have restaurants for the older crowd and for families! A good restaurant (not a buffet) with characters that would appeal to boys too. That way you can justify spending a day there. And go to a character meal outside of the park that is not Mickey or Minnie.

Also, I think it would be cool to see a Pirates of the Caribbean meal at Caribbean Beach Resort.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

since they went away from character dining at downtown disney 20 some years ago with the empress lilly...

I would bet the farm "no".

you know the other reason why it doesn't make sense?
a one day ticket into a park cost between $97 and $101 dollars per person, per day...

disney hotel rooms cost from $99 or so up through the thousands per night...

how much does downtown disney cost to enter?

I know that you can eat at a character buffet at a resort without paying a fee...but they don't make it all that easy to get there.

AND...they eliminated the character meal at old key west years ago and have not added anything new for along time outside of the parks...notably at animal kingdom lodge or saratoga that would sell well and aren't known for generating packed houses or tons of foot traffic...

just a theory
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #6
jnscott4
Huge Disney World Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnewton View Post
Haven't read anything about any, but I hope not as well. Nothing against character dining, I love them from time to time, but hopefully DTD or (DS) dining continues to skew toward the older crowd.
I agree, the majority of DS dining and entertainment options should be geared toward the older crowd. No offense, but leave the character dining to the parks and resorts.
jnscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #7
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeH View Post
Doubt it. Its not a hotel or theme park its a shopping and dining district. Most of these restaurants have special themes already. None of them really have a way to incorporate a character meal. What existing restaurant there would be able to incorporate this? Also most Disney Character meals besides ones at DTD area hotels and the Swan are disney owned. Most restaurants in DTD are owned by out side companies.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:49 AM   #8
ChloeH
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
Doubt it. Its not a hotel or theme park its a shopping and dining district. Most of these restaurants have special themes already. None of them really have a way to incorporate a character meal. What existing restaurant there would be able to incorporate this? Also most Disney Character meals besides ones at DTD area hotels and the Swan are disney owned. Most restaurants in DTD are owned by out side companies.
I think that's why I would love a character experience there - it is a shopping and dining district. I don't want to go all the way to Disney World for a regular shopping and dining district. Maybe not a character meal, but I'd love to see more Disney in the Disney shopping and dining district...not just what I could find here.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:51 AM   #9
jon18uk
Mouseketeer

Maybe some kind of Marvel character dinner as they can't offer this in the parks anyway due to the Universal rights issues. Something very much a boys/teenagers dinner such as it being themed to SHIELD headquarters or similar or done as a dinner party hosted by Tony Stark. And given you won't need park admission then they can bump the meal price up slightly.

They do need more character dinners aimed at boys as there are already too many opportunities to meet princesses. Given the original Disneyland lands were very boy orientated (cowboys, space exploration, jungle cruises) the current experiances can be too princessy.
jon18uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #10
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon18uk View Post
Maybe some kind of Marvel character dinner as they can't offer this in the parks anyway due to the Universal rights issues. Something very much a boys/teenagers dinner such as it being themed to SHIELD headquarters or similar or done as a dinner party hosted by Tony Stark. And given you won't need park admission then they can bump the meal price up slightly.

They do need more character dinners aimed at boys as there are already too many opportunities to meet princesses. Given the original Disneyland lands were very boy orientated (cowboys, space exploration, jungle cruises) the current experiances can be too princessy.
Hey-- there's an interesting question... can they use marvel there? Re vamp all of Disney Quest to a Marvel themed experience of some sort....
Old 08-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

When Disney Springs was first announced a poster shared a photo of a "board" which showed (potential) stores/restaurants.
My memory is a character restaurant was listed.

Chef Mickey's was moved from DTD to the Contemporary. Don't (almost) all the deluxe resorts have a character meal? Even the Four Seasons and Dolphin. I'd be surprised if a character restaurant didn't show up.

I don't think characters in the Guardians of the Galaxy are included in the contract with Marvel. It can't be long before we see those characters in WDW.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #12
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
When Disney Springs was first announced a poster shared a photo of a "board" which showed (potential) stores/restaurants.

Chef Mickey's was moved from DTD to the Contemporary. Don't (almost) all the deluxe resorts have a character meal? Even the Four Seasons and Dolphin. I'd be surprised if a character restaurant didn't show up.

I don't think characters in the Guardians of the Galaxy are included in the contract with Marvel. It can't be long before we see those characters in WDW.
I'm surprised you are saying "it can't be long" about marvel characters...

Many with far less insight than you have been spouting that for 6 years...and they have, at this juncture, been 100% wrong
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #13
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

I'd rather see them concentrate on food quality. There are plenty of other places to see characters. disney's and others.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post

Guardians of the Galaxy has already been in the parks. For the past month or so they have been showing previews of the movie in one of the empty theaters in DHS. I believe that preview has ended now but if this movie is a hit which its looking to be we may very well see them in the parks. Disney took Big Hero 6 which was Marvel and turned into a Disney Studios production and those Characters will be in the parks starting this fall.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #15
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I'm surprised you are saying "it can't be long" about marvel characters...

Many with far less insight than you have been spouting that for 6 years...and they have, at this juncture, been 100% wrong
Others have suggested using characters covered by the contract with Universal. Some posters though Universal should just give up their exclusive rights, without compensation. Fat chance. Some posters thought Disney should just use the characters and assume they can "out lawyer" Universal. Right. Others thought Disney should pay $$$ to pay Universal. In what world. I think you'll agree, those posters continue to be wrong.

Guardians of the Galaxy has given Disney a set of marketable Marvel characters not covered by the agreement. Character meals offer high menu prices relative the cost of the food. Are characters paid much more then minimum wage? Sounds like the kind of $$$ move Disney will jump at.

I didn't agree with the posters who though Guardians of the Galaxy would be the kind of hit necessary to market a new set of characters. I was probably wrong.

Manning--Food quality---Disney has Wolfgang Puck's. Disney may think that's enough.

Last edited by Lewisc; 08-20-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: