Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #31
ponyboy
Gun slingin DW lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
My kids are 7 & soon to be 5, and know nothing about Harry Potter. Never seen any of the movies, never asked about the books. But they both have light-sabers, my son has a huge Star Wars figures collection, and they watch the movies, all 6 of them, on a regular basis. My son particularly likes Episode II.
My kids are 10-17 and they all know Harry Potter but it isn't a big thing to them, it's just a series of movies. They don't have and have never asked for any Harry Potter toys or anything else related to the movie. I like the movies and I'll watch them when they come on and they may or may not watch it with me, just like any other movie.

When we were in Galveston this summer my wife got irritated at the younger boys because they opted to stay and watch Star Wars on DVD than go to the beach a couple of times. We brought the DVDs from home but their idea of a vacation was to sit around doing nothing watching Star Wars in Galveston while the rest of the family was at the beach.

From seeing my kids and their friends, who are always at our house, I just don't think Harry Potter has the staying power of Star Wars.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #32
derekleigh
Mouseketeer

I do think SW Land will Disney's answer to WWOHP. While both are very different, they have a lot of parallels, the most notable being is this: both have wowed and captivated multi-generational audiences. IMO, HP is today's version of SW.

But the biggest advantage SW has is there will be new movies, games, toys, etc in the future. HP will have minimal new material.

derekleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #33
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

I think U.S. did a fantastic job with H.P. Saying that, if Disney would decide to do a land or something for Star Wars I think it would be amazing and be more Popular than HP. Disney theming and attention to detail is great. To me Disney doesn't need to have an answer to H.P. Look at what all Disney has done in the past. And who knows what they have comming in the future. I'm not a huge Avatarland fan. I never thought that Avatar could compete with HP. But I don't think it was suppose to compete with HP. Animal Kingdom needs help, and they chose Avatar to help. I'm sure that what ever Disney does with this, it will be Great.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #34
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdeal View Post
Personally, I think Star Wars has nothing on Harry Potter.
Like everyone else, I couldn't disagree more. I am 54 and love Star Wars. My son 28 and daughter 26 love Star Wars. I know a bunch of 40 something's, 30 something's, teens, and little kids that love Star Wars. The universe is broad and the products are endless. Star Wars is like no other fantasy or sci-fi property in the world and has stood the test of time in spades. There are always lots of SW toys at Walmart and ToysRUs. Maybe a few HP toys, but HP is a limited universe with limited toys. And, while it is a great and special property that should do well for Universal for many years to come, it will never have the depth or breadth that SW does with all generations of boys and girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthegoodword View Post
I couldn't disagree with this more - and we are actually reading "Prisoner of Azkaban" aloud to our daughter as I type. My kids, including my 13 year old son, really enjoy HP. HP is big. Good for Univ Studios, and good for us. I actually enjoy visiting U.S. now, unlike before HP. It is well done. Again, congrats to U.S.

Star Wars, however, is not just big. It changed American Culture. The cultural impact of Star Wars cannot be overstated - kinda like Elvis or Sgt. Peppers. Disney now owns that cultural phenomenon. ...AND boys love Star Wars. The same 13 year old mentioned above wears a Star Wars shirt to school once a week or so. He won't wear his HP shirts - too kiddie. I predict that once Hollywood Studios opens the new huge "Star Wars Land" (or whatever they call it), that it will begin to rival Epcot as the #2 park in Orlando.

Really, Star Wars is three times the size of Harry Potter now. Twenty years from now it will be even bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networth View Post
Take it for what you will but Star Wars will have the largest presence at WDW by far from what I have heard at least(brother in law). Anaheim will have some mainly a Tomorrowland/SW reboot with some Meet and Greets etc.

Again take that as you will and thats at the moment, nothing is beyond planning at this stage. As for the HP vs Star War’s as a fan of both, HP is not going anywhere, but comparing it to Star Wars is like comparing a gorilla to a baboon by weight, and thats without the new Abrams movies.
Points for a unique but appropriate analogy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
They are both great properties, even though I significantly prefer Star Wars.

The main difference is that Star Wars has already passed the test of time. Harry Potter has not.

Apparently, 60 year old men.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #35
dinolounger
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew015 View Post
don't kid yourself into thinking that Disney won't have the last laugh with SW.
Thank you, but please wake us all up (if we are still alive) when Disney actually does something with SW, instead of wasting time, money and brand equity on a movie about blue people that no one (including those who saw it) came even name a single character of.
dinolounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #36
csm101
EH

As it stands today ahhh ya WWOHP is a better fit than Fantasy or Avatar lands. Star Wars would have been a much better overall choice for WDW to make. Let's see how it all plays out.
csm101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #37
vandy
Vacations are getaways from vacation planning!

We can debate all we want, the movie impacts, the lasting popularity and so forth, but for me it's all immaterial until Disney actually puts in a SW land or themed rides. The Star Wars legacy will probably make it more difficult for Disney to produce an area/park that lives up to the hype. It's easy to speak highly of HP at UNI because it is there now, up and running. SW is still just an idea for Disney and nothing for us to experience. They could hit a huge home-run with this, or they can bring disappointment to us all by not putting in something that lives up to the SW brand or even worse, what the fans think should be done. If what they put in is a disappointment, the legacy of the movies won't help much. Time will tell and unfortunately we will probably be waiting for quite some time.

vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:27 AM   #38
circus4u
Mouseketeer

Disney: Star Wars attractions announcement in 2015

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news..._wars_att.html
circus4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #39
dinolounger
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by circus4u View Post
Disney: Star Wars attractions announcement in 2015

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news..._wars_att.html
Another vague and non-committal Iger pronouncement.
dinolounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #40
ahoyle
Mouseketeer

Just curious, who here that actually likes Star Wars and Harry Potter, and goes to both US and Disney, have any confidence that Disney will pull off anything as good as US did with HP with Star Wars?

Also, I've never met one person in real life that loves Star Wars and hates or is naive about Harry Potter. Usually the SciFi/Fantasy fans love all the classics that are well done, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter. No one knows what these franchises will look like over the next decade, but if you look at the past decade, HP dominated Star Wars. Wasn't even close. And while I am definitely a SW fan over HP, if someone told me a new SW was coming out next summer side by side with a new HP, and to bet on which would have the bigger box office, I would bet on HP. Although I think it would be close and if given odds I would take SW!

That said, just taking a snap shot today, I definitely think SW is the bigger franchise, primarily due to what it does with cartoons, games, and toys, are quite far beyond what HP has done. But they are in the same weight class, its not a heavyweight vs a lightweight here.
ahoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #41
jtwibih
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoyle View Post
Just curious, who here that actually likes Star Wars and Harry Potter, and goes to both US and Disney, have any confidence that Disney will pull off anything as good as US did with HP with Star Wars? Also, I've never met one person in real life that loves Star Wars and hates or is naive about Harry Potter. Usually the SciFi/Fantasy fans love all the classics that are well done, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter. No one knows what these franchises will look like over the next decade, but if you look at the past decade, HP dominated Star Wars. Wasn't even close. And while I am definitely a SW fan over HP, if someone told me a new SW was coming out next summer side by side with a new HP, and to bet on which would have the bigger box office, I would bet on HP. Although I think it would be close and if given odds I would take SW! That said, just taking a snap shot today, I definitely think SW is the bigger franchise, primarily due to what it does with cartoons, games, and toys, are quite far beyond what HP has done. But they are in the same weight class, its not a heavyweight vs a lightweight here.
I think I share your fear too. Looking at NFL and how much hype it had, I am just not impressed. And look how long it took! Makes you wonder if we will get a completed SW land within the next 6-8 years. And what will it be like? Cars Land in DL is pretty cool and I am not a fan of the movies so there's hope there. They could really knock this out of the park if they really sit down and try. I agree about HP. At this moment WDW has their work cut out for them.

Past: Apr 2014 - DCL; Nov 2013 - BWV/AKV; Apr 2013 - DLH; Nov 2012 - AKV; Nov 2011 - WL; Nov 2010 - WL; May 2010 - CSR; Jun 2009 - AKL; Apr 2008 - AKL/WL; Jul 2007 - SS; Aug 2006 - POFQ; Aug 2005 - POFQ; Aug 2004 - offsite
jtwibih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #42
wallrock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Just curious, who here that actually likes Star Wars and Harry Potter, and goes to both US and Disney, have any confidence that Disney will pull off anything as good as US did with HP with Star Wars?

Also, I've never met one person in real life that loves Star Wars and hates or is naive about Harry Potter. Usually the SciFi/Fantasy fans love all the classics that are well done, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter. No one knows what these franchises will look like over the next decade, but if you look at the past decade, HP dominated Star Wars. Wasn't even close. And while I am definitely a SW fan over HP, if someone told me a new SW was coming out next summer side by side with a new HP, and to bet on which would have the bigger box office, I would bet on HP. Although I think it would be close and if given odds I would take SW!

That said, just taking a snap shot today, I definitely think SW is the bigger franchise, primarily due to what it does with cartoons, games, and toys, are quite far beyond what HP has done. But they are in the same weight class, its not a heavyweight vs a lightweight here.
I'm not confident that they will, however I'm more than confident that they can.

On the topic of the article, as someone mentioned earlier this is nothing more than Iger dangling yet another carrot in front of everyone.
wallrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #43
ahoyle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallrock View Post
I'm not confident that they will, however I'm more than confident that they can.

On the topic of the article, as someone mentioned earlier this is nothing more than Iger dangling yet another carrot in front of everyone.
I agree with that, they can. Assuming they have the talent, money, and resources committed to this. One of the big faults Disney has with their slow construction process (besides making us all impatient), is that it builds expectations. I mean after hearing about Pandora and seeing it built for six years, what if its only ok? Meanwhile across town, Universal announces something about a year or two out, and before its open they are already building something else. If its only ok, fine, something else will be there in a year or two. Plus I didnt spend the past half decade anticipating it and analyzing it.
ahoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #44
Muddypaws
Mouseketeer

My DH (who isn't close to 60) is a SW fanatic. I love HP and was absolutely blown away with Hogwarts at Universal. My heart still does little pitter-pats with excitement at having the book come to life each time we have been there. But until Disney quits just TALKING and actually does some building (on something other than a gift shop or restaurant) the argument is moot. My faith in Disney would go a long way to being restored if we could see some money and, more importantly, imagination invested in SW at the World. The fact that we don't know if it is even coming much at all to Orlando is not doing much to give me the warm fuzzies right now.

Believe me, I would really love Disney to win this one. Recent past history, though, does not give me a lot of hope they will. At least in my lifetime if it takes as long as Fantasyland to complete.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #45
Muddypaws
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I agree with that, they can. Assuming they have the talent, money, and resources committed to this. One of the big faults Disney has with their slow construction process (besides making us all impatient), is that it builds expectations.
I would really like to know the motivation behind having the construction at Fantasyland take so long. I can only surmise that the drawn-out process was deliberate since we have seen Universal go from concept to gate-revenue pretty quickly on big projects. If the goal was to build excitement then for me it really failed. Seeing the walls up for so long just made me question their planning, commitment and competence. I never really bought their excuse that it was the attention to detail that was taking all the time. Most of that can be solved by hiring more people to work on it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: