Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #16
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

They are both great properties, even though I significantly prefer Star Wars.

The main difference is that Star Wars has already passed the test of time. Harry Potter has not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
Star Wars merchandising brings in over $1B per year, only 2nd behind Disney Princesses in licensed merchandise... someone is buying (and playing with) all of that stuff.
Apparently, 60 year old men.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #17
Soarin4Disney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joben View Post
Why are your boys wearing Princess dresses?

Our Disney Vacations:

Apr 2010 Offsite
May 2010 POP
Soarin4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #18
diamondpixienc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasNicMadAl View Post
The generation Star Wars captivated is in their mid 30's to mid 40's, not in our sixties. My two daughters love Star Wars as we watched Clone Wars together on Cartoon network along w/P&F Star wars special & all the movies, etc. We are looking forward to Rebels and Disney has to get more SW in the parks as we are visiting Universal on our trip in Oct & may never need to go back to Disney. That is how Disney is losing $$$$. They need to hurry up& build...New Fantasy land is okay, but Harry Potter lands look awesome. As long as disney is making $$$$ on magicbands, I'm afraid they wont be investing what they should be which is very disappointing.
^^^Exactly!^^^ We introduced our oldest and only son now 11 to SW when he was 2 and he has been obsessed with SW ever since. We did the same with our girls who are all things girly BTW guess what they loved it too and all 3 follow the Clone Wars cartoons and are anxiously awaiting the Rebels series. Now, Harry Potter is popular in my house too. DS completed the entire book series by 3rd grade and DD #1 will be finishing the series by the end of the year. We have made 3 trips to US/IOA since WWOHP opened and after our last trip to WDW this summer the kids not DH and I have decided that they would rather spend more time at US/IOA and maybe 1 Disney Park day and one of them is a 4yo girl who is running around the house in a little mermaid shirt, a pink tutu and tinker bell slippers as I type this.

diamondpixienc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #19
Airship Ariadne
DIS Veteran

Yep, nothing against HP, loved it, loved the movies...but SW is as popular now as ever, and still growing. New TV series kicks off in a couple of weeks, new movies coming every year for the next five-six years. I think adding a larger SW imprint at HS would make it more popular...probably move into second place behind MK for attendance.
Airship Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #20
OlafLuvsWarmHugs
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodinia View Post
As a longtime DISBoard reader (and now first-time poster),

However, the 9-14 year old kid in me is very excited about the potential of a Star Wars Land - hopefully at DHS. Wife and I visit Disney frequently, but the crowds have been a little off-putting to me these past few visits. Star Wars Land would get me out of my shell pretty fast.

Wow! - Lots of words from me today. Wonder what my second post will look like
I'm hoping for Star Wars Land too!
OlafLuvsWarmHugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #21
NuJoy
But you won't get your new sled if she's dead

Quote:

We reluctantly bought this ridiculous thing for our tween daughter who loves Star Wars after she begged for it all week of last trip.
So. Embarrassing.
NuJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #22
Joben
Mouseketeer

okay so now I need to know where you got the Ewok head cover so I can get it for my 30+ year old sister (I'm not joking)

Joben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #23
NuJoy
But you won't get your new sled if she's dead

Quote:
okay so now I need to know where you got the Ewok head cover so I can get it for my 30+ year old sister (I'm not joking)
The Star Wars store at Star Tours.
NuJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #24
cvjpirate
Earning My Ears

Let me say I am pulling for a Star Wars land myself. I believe Harry Potter is here to stay and will bring in big bucks for a very long time for US.

Just if Disney is going to bring Star Wars to the theme parks lets do it right or not at all. Don't just do a ride, meet and greet, restaurant with bar and of course the gift shop. Make me believe I am a part of the Star Wars saga and you will have me hooked.
cvjpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #25
DaveRH
Earning My Ears

I believe HP will become one of those long standing memorable franchises, but it's relatively new.

I don't really want to try and say which is better, but don't discount Star Wars, it's been around since the 70's and has survived 3 horrible movies.
DaveRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #26
clsteve
It takes a very long time to become young

Location: Where, if the world ended tomorrow, we wouldn't know for three days

Debating SW over HP is like debating which color is better - green or blue.

Both have potential as anchor franchises in the Theme Park world. Both are multi-generational.

The difference is that HP is now an established Theme Park gorilla.

The ball's in Disney's court.

I love both and hope they deliver as well as Uni have.

clsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #27
ponyboy
Gun slingin DW lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdeal View Post
Personally, I think Star Wars has nothing on Harry Potter. If Disney doesn't hit it out of the park with the next movies they will really have nothing. Harry Potter has like 7 recent movies that were defining to a generation. Star wars has 6, the first three were awesome and defining to a generation, the next three kind of sucked and were more about CGI than anything else. The generation that star wars captivated is now in their 60s, and their kids have moved out of the house. Their kids are now having kids and those people grew up on Harry Potter killing the box office and a few crappy star wars movies here and there. Sure Star Wars will draw crowds however I really don't think that they will be able to maintain public interest for the next 20 years like Harry Potter will UNLESS the new movies are absolute classics (which I doubt they will be honestly)

I'm in my mid 30's and most everyone my age loves Star Wars. That's what we grew up with. That's what we played on the playground in elementary school. When I was little most of my toys were Star Wars stuff.

Because of that all of my kids grew up watching star wars movies, they have star wars legos, light sabers and all kinds of other star wars toys. They watch the star wars off shoot movies on netflix. They have star wars video games. They are more excited than I am about the new star wars movies coming out and unlike me, they liked the last three star wars movies because they're younger and didn't care as much that they didn't really fit with the first three.

You're far underestimating the reach of the star wars franchise.

Last edited by ponyboy; 08-21-2014 at 02:07 PM.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #28
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

Huge SW AND HP fan here. I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old. I ache for Star Wars Land. Took the 5 year old on Star Tours on our last trip and he truly believed that we had travelled to a different planet. And he hadn't seen any of the movies yet!

We just started introducing both HP and Star Wars to him. He's fascinated by Star Wars. He is OK with Harry Potter so far. It's still a bit over his head, although he does quote Harry often.

The issue with HP is when to introduce it. The books (and movies) worked so well for the first generation of kids because they grew up with them. The first book or two is OK for 5, 6, 7 but the last couple of books are far too old for them. Not only the subject matter, but Rowling's writing style matured greatly between the first couple of books and the last few. I've always maintained that WWOHP was a bigger risk for Universal than people realized because it hadn't stood the test of time like Star Wars has (and that was before Disney had purchased SW). Star Wars is pretty consistent on story/theme and doesn't pose the same problem.

I'm hoping Disney does an even better job at a Star Wars land than Universal has done with HP, but I can't wait to go to both!!
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #29
MuddyTires
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdeal View Post
The generation that star wars captivated is now in their 60s, and their kids have moved out of the house.
Wait, wut?
MuddyTires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #30
MuddyTires
Mouseketeer

From May 2013, but...

Quote:
In 2013, supported by a robust co-branded merchandise program with LEGO and the continued Angry Birds Star Wars collaboration, the evergreen brand remains popular as ever, even among younger generations; Star Wars is still the No. 1 licensed toy in the U.S. among boys.
http://www.licensemag.com/license-gl...obal-licensors

Overall, it was the 5th strongest toy license for 2013 and for Q1 2014:

http://www.licensemag.com/license-gl...-increase-2013
MuddyTires is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: