Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #16
Elevationist
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
Yeah, when you put in context with the "Disney Legend" comment it makes more sense. Still, Disney had nothing to do with Mork and Mindy.
No, but it was the iconic role that launched his career, and fits in the context of Mr. Iger's statement. IMHO.

December 4-11, 2015 Art of Animation

September 2014, Pop Century - December 2009, Coronado Springs - February 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge - January 2005, All-Star Music
January 2002, Offsite - July 2000, Offsite - January 2000, Offsite - April 1998, All-Star Sports - May 1986, Offsite

Last edited by Elevationist; 08-15-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Elevationist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #17
MadToad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
He took his own life I relally don't understand why people want to turn him into some kind of Martry.
When someone dies of cancer, we acknowledge that the disease took their life. Robin Williams died of depression, it was a disease that took his life.
MadToad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #18
Elevationist
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToad View Post
When someone dies of cancer, we acknowledge that the disease took their life. Robin Williams died of depression, it was a disease that took his life.
THIS is the message that needs to be out there about Depression and Suicide. Thank you for understanding that, I wish more people did.

September 2014, Pop Century - December 2009, Coronado Springs - February 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge - January 2005, All-Star Music
January 2002, Offsite - July 2000, Offsite - January 2000, Offsite - April 1998, All-Star Sports - May 1986, Offsite

Old 08-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #19
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Disney officially refers to many if not all of their movies as "Disney's X". It distinguishes it from other productions with the same or similar titles.

In addition, the ABC that aired Mork and Mindy is still the ABC that Disney owns today. Just because Disney didn't own it at the time, doesn't mean they can't recognize it. The history still applies.

Seems some just want to find fault with Disney no matter what they do.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #20
Alice Royal
Nineteen, female, Florida resident, Disney addict. ^^

Quote:
He took his own life I relally don't understand why people want to turn him into some kind of Martry.
I'm guessing you've never been truly depressed in the way he and many, many others have. Consider yourself lucky. You will never understand what sorts of thoughts and emotions, as irrational as they might seem, go through the heads of those who suffer from depression.

Me (19)
AP Holder and Proud Florida Resident since 2013!

THE FAM BACK HOME IN NH

DMom DDad DB (14)
Alice Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #21
Leslieloody
Mouseketeer

Just saw that disney channel is running Aladdin all weekend.

Three times as a kid
2003-off site
2006-Pop Music
2009-Pop Century
2011-Pop Century
Sept-Oct 2012 Art of Animation
Leslieloody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:33 AM   #22
camoline
Earning My Ears

good news)
camoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:51 AM   #23
bbak3030
Mouseketeer

The state of mind that he was in is something that most of us can not even begin to relate to. If we are fortunate enough to have never dealt with depression or mental illness--we have no idea what he was going through. His mental illness and depression are what killed him.

It really makes me sad when people feel like someone is less of a person because they took their life. It's so much more complicated than that. :-(

Trip Report: Missing Mardi Gras to meet Anna and Elsa!
bbak3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:20 AM   #24
Elevationist
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbak3030 View Post
The state of mind that he was in is something that most of us can not even begin to relate to. If we are fortunate enough to have never dealt with depression or mental illness--we have no idea what he was going through. His mental illness and depression are what killed him.

It really makes me sad when people feel like someone is less of a person because they took their life. It's so much more complicated than that. :-(
And for those of us who DO know what it's like to live with Depression or other mental illness, we who have seen that dark place, who have or are currently struggling... We wish there was more education, understanding, and compassion out there in there world. Clinical Depression a viscous, manipulative, horrifying disease that claims lives every single day. When a it takes a celebrity of such magnitude, as tragic as it is, that is when opportunities for learning and growth and open conversation arise.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:46 AM   #25
Globalfootprint
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kollegekreed View Post
Tozzie I don't know really know where you think you get off. Does the fact he killed himself make him a bad person? Did he do something wrong? Does that erase the dozens of movies and millions of fans? He didn't kill himself, depression killed him. Get it right.
Thank you Kollegekreed. Someone had to say it.

Do they honor people who died from the injurys sustained from being hit by a car?
Or people who die from symptoms of cancer?
Need I go on.

Depression killed Robin Williams.

Wake up to yourself and watch your words. Didnt you get taught that words can hurt.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #26
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
Yes you are reading more into it. Robin was/is a member of the Disney family as a Disney Legend. Nothing sneaky or crass about his words.
Totally agree!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:26 AM   #27
jcnewton
Never as happy as I am in Florida

Quote:
First of all, it's martyr. And a martyr is someone who is killed or dies for their beliefs. So your word is used wrong and misspelled.

jcnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #28
set1208
Mouseketeer

I believe that Robin Williams was a gifted and talented man who gave generously and selflessly to others. I am pleased to see all the loving tributes. He made Disney quite a lot of money so it's good to see the recognition from Isner, regardless of how he died. The Genie was and always will be a true classic character.

It reminds me of the day that I walked in to "find" my fiancée and father of my daughter in our home 14 years ago when I was 5 months pregnant with her. Suicide leaves behind nasty lifelong scars for those who loved and cherished the deceased but in no way should it diminish his accomplishments and contributions. I can only assume that when a person makes insensitive comments that he or she hasn't felt the repercussions of suicide first hand.

What comes after a suicide, or any death for that matter, is completely based on faith. Some believe Heaven or the other direction, some believe total blackness, others believe reincarnation. Who's right? I can't even say for sure if what I believe is the one and only answer. (Not written to start a debate, but simply to consider that there are multiple faiths represented here in the Dis). What despair, sadness, and hopelessness a person must feel to take that irreversible leap of faith. You don't know until you go. Suicide victims are brave in my eyes. Nothing on earth would make me choose that.

I just hope that by his very public death, some people can begin see suicide in a different light. May you never be cursed to live with the loss of a loved one by suicide. Hopefully the folks who make insensitive comments can educate themselves a little about the intensity of depression. It's a real darkness, unlike anything a healthy-brained individual has ever experienced. My fiancé would talk (and cry) to me all the time about what it's like. It's was scary for him that he couldn't shake it off, or "get over it". Believe me, the guy tried it all. I tried everything I could to help him too. He was never alone but he sure felt like it. He fought like a warrior every single second for most of his life to beat this. He lasted 30 years. He fought a good fight but sadly he just couldn't hang on any longer.

Tolerance, understanding, education, compassion...
May 2010.....ASMu Mother/Daughter Trip for DD's 10th Birthday
February 2009.....CBR family trip
October 2004.....Pop Century, MNSSHP with me and DD
set1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:11 PM   #29
Odelay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'm guessing you relally don't understand what a Martry is.
Odelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:29 AM   #30
julluvsdisney
"A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep"

Quote:
This is a very cruel comment. Clearly you have been lucky enough to never have been devestated by a loved ones suicide. Consider yourself very lucky. I hope you never know how that loss feels. I unfortunatly have been devestated by suicide. It's something that you never really get over. How can you not have any sympathy for a person who was so distraught that he felt the only way to escape it was to end his life? Can you imagine being trapped in your own eternal suffering and misery? How can you be so full of yourself to look down on someone who was in this much pain?

Robin Williams was an icon that brought laughter to so many even through his own personal suffering. I think it's sad that so many people have hid behind thier computer screens and said so many awful things about this man! Shame on them and shame on you! No matter what he will forever be remembered as one of the greats!
I just hope he found his inner peace finally!

"Genie you're free"

Mouseketeers-ME, DH, DS, DS
WDW TRIPS*1994 ASMu* 2007 Disneymoon POFQ* 2009 POP*2010 POP*2011 POP* 2012 POR* 2013 POR*2014 POR RR*2014 POR *2015 VGF*
julluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: